Brad Hill - trade?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brad Hill - trade?

It would be one of the smartest moves the club has made off loading Hill. For the $$$ paid he provides zero to the team ethos.

The other thing about Hill leaving is he is easily replaceable. Long, Coffield, Clark, Paton, Connolly can all play the HBF role and provide a hell of a lot more defensively than Hill does.

We could then use the $$$ on player or players that actually have an impact on games.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 9:52pmWe could then use the $$$ on player or players that actually have an impact on games.
I can't think of any. We also wouldn't want to lose the picks or players needed to trade out to get them.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 9:52pm It would be one of the smartest moves the club has made off loading Hill. For the $$$ paid he provides zero to the team ethos.

The other thing about Hill leaving is he is easily replaceable. Long, Coffield, Clark, Paton, Connolly can all play the HBF role and provide a hell of a lot more defensively than Hill does.

We could then use the $$$ on player or players that actually have an impact on games.
Firstly good post. Totally agree that Hill is replaceable.

It’s funny how $$$ can change how a player performs.I remember watching Footy Classified when there were rumours circulating about the contract negotiations for Brodie Grundy at Collingwood.

Eddie McGuire was reminding people how it’s different for some players when they land a huge contract and then all of a sudden the pressure and the attention is on that player.

Eddie gave the example of Travis Cloke when Collingwood gave in to his old mans demands for the massive pay check, but perhaps it might have been the start of Clokes goal kicking issues. He said that when players are part of the herd and they are paid median wages they aren’t under as much pressure.

With some internal rumblings at Collingwood and the salary cap problems that forced them to get rid of Treloar and then the subsequent drop off in Grundy’s form ( and with the drop off in form with Jayden Stevenson) in 2021 I was recalling Eddie’s words.

Maybe the issues with Hill started because St Kilda pretended that there was no problem in 2021. I can’t believe we went out of ourway to sell the farm and pay him a ridiculous amount to come and play on the wing and he ended up as a half back flanker

The waft and the smell would have disappeared if they addressed his poor form. Our football department and the coaches could not acknowledge that he was being treated differently to other players. Selection integrity was compromised.

Not sure that our players didn’t warm to Hilly. In any case it wasn’t his fault he was NEVER dropped or managed or that they shifted him to half back. The media attention is usually centred around the highest paid players. I think most of the pressure was centred around team performance in early 2021 and the external expectation that he needed to play brilliant football every week.

Maybe if they’d just dropped him and given him 1 game in the VFL in 2021 we wouldn’t be talking about trading him right now.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 9:57pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 9:52pmWe could then use the $$$ on player or players that actually have an impact on games.
I can't think of any. We also wouldn't want to lose the picks or players needed to trade out to get them.
Amon & De Goey are a good start....

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Brad Hill was a major reason St Kilda went to 8-3 this season. So was McKenzie and Sinclair. There were plenty of passengers praised as heroes during that period.

Ryder, was a big source of support to him during all the blame shower.

Ryder going won't help, but I guess he is going now. Won't St Kilda (sorry the AFL) have to pay some of that North Melbourne salary?

I think with Windy, the Big O, and NWM, we have a great future. Let's hope Paton and Coffield comeback to their best, and Hayes, Sharman, Highmore and others go ahead.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Say a person from Mars, or even further from AFL like FNQ, saw Sundays game: would they think B. Hill or B. Long was on the bigger pay packet.
I doubt Brad will be traded but to do so would realise a big loss.
Better for the coach to better use Brad. Getting other well skilled outside players might help.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 11:45pm Say a person from Mars, or even further from AFL like FNQ, saw Sundays game: would they think B. Hill or B. Long was on the bigger pay packet.
Better for the coach to better use Brad. Getting other well skilled outside players might help.
I'm agnostic so I can relate to people who were confused about Ben Long...i.e they needed more evidence

The people that really gave me the $hits were those who basically dismissed him or called him useless or hopeless

Longy could easily push out Hill from that half back flanker role. Ben had a good year in 2020 in that position. Voted well on the Eastern Memorial Player of the year award too

Once again. Selection integrity 'nqr' at the Saints earlier this year

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 2:13am
Yorkeys wrote: Mon 22 Aug 2022 11:45pm Say a person from Mars, or even further from AFL like FNQ, saw Sundays game: would they think B. Hill or B. Long was on the bigger pay packet.
I'm agnostic so I can relate to people who were confused about Ben Long...i.e they needed more evidence

The people that really gave me the $hits were those who basically dismissed him or called him useless or hopeless

Longy could easily push out Hill from that half back flanker role. Ben had a good year in 2020 in that position. Voted well on the Eastern Memorial Player of the year award too

Once again. Selection integrity 'nqr' at the Saints earlier this year
Credit to Longy for a very good game. Found space well, received and distributed plenty of chip kicks, also some longer passes and took some very good contested marks. Not sure who he was playing on. He has been playing for a new contract, so did himself no harm, imo Saints will offer him a couple of years.

Next year if he can string together a few games like that, or even get in the best players, he may leapfrog players currently ahead of him, and be considered best 22.

Push out Hill? Not so sure. Hill was causing a lot of damage to opposition teams in the first half of the season, hence a tag was generally placed on him for the second half, often with effect. Would Long be able to cause enough concern to require a tag? I can't see it.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Seems Brad and family are unhappy with (some) Saints fans reaction to his contributions and is partial to a move because of that (source: Saints TV by way of unattributed rumours).
If true then he and his management would need to find a club where he feels fully appreciated by their fans and not criticised.
Given how forgiving we are, which is well known among managers of recycled players, good luck. North is mentioned.
However it seems to me in those circumstances that it does not automatically follow Saints have to underwrite his current income if he goes.
His unilateral decision/request, if honoured by the Saints, should mean current contract is ended and he renegotiates freshly with his new club.
Might be good for all concerned because as much as I love watching him in full flight I sometimes involuntarily cringe when he goes for overhead marks and misses tackles and misses targets and gets caught with the ball when he are streaming forward.
Nothing personal, its just fan reflex syndrome.
I cheer heartily when he does good.

older saint
SS Life Member

At his best he is exactly what we need as we don't have, speed , run and ball user.
Did we over pay - yes as most clubs do when they get players out of other clubs.
Anyone who had watched him play at Haw and Freo knew he wasn't an inside , tough player who at times didn't commit his body as he should. We bought a sports car and some want him to be a 4WD.

I try to judge on field performance by that not weighted to salary or draft position. He was in best 22 all year and probably may go close to top 10 B&F.

Now if he is upset by supporters feedback then this will occur no matter where he goes due to the way he plays. Only listen to people you respect and don't desire to be liked by everyone.
Where we sit with the list IF we could bring in a late 1st round pick and clear some cap space then must be considered seriously. He is 29 although could probably be like an Isaac Smith type for a few years yet.
IF nothing worth it comes then clearly he stays and we continue to look to use his assets more. We used hi8m better in 2022 than 2021, so with better around him 2023 may be better again.
I think he would struggle at North as don't have the talent around him which provides a freer run than he would get elsewhere.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 8:52am
Scollop wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 2:13am
I'm agnostic ....???

Push out Hill? Not so sure. Hill was causing a lot of damage to opposition teams in the first half of the season, hence a tag was generally placed on him for the second half, often with effect. Would Long be able to cause enough concern to require a tag? I can't see it.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Hill was huge part of our push this year.

Long was lucky to be picked for most of the season.

Now he played a blinder at the end.

Long regularly had single digit games of questionable input, but he was suitably restrained and admired for his self-control. And that was enough given the circumstances of Paton and Butler being diminished, Coffield injured

Levering the Hill hate to move your bones about Long...what a joke!

I mean it is a nice story.

But it will never make St Kilda competitive if this kind of love story with players like Battle and Long has to be perpetuated.

I am going by what I have seen..

Agmnostic...?? yeah...

Anyway, you and we can be happy now. Hill is on his way out, i would say.
I would say he has had a pretty miserable time with St Kilda by the looks.

I will offer my services for free next year, on the HBF or forward if Ratts lets me.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 10:05am Seems Brad and family are unhappy with (some) Saints fans reaction to his contributions and is partial to a move because of that (source: Saints TV by way of unattributed rumours).
If true then he and his management would need to find a club where he feels fully appreciated by their fans and not criticised.
Given how forgiving we are, which is well known among managers of recycled players, good luck. North is mentioned.
However it seems to me in those circumstances that it does not automatically follow Saints have to underwrite his current income if he goes.
His unilateral decision/request, if honoured by the Saints, should mean current contract is ended and he renegotiates freshly with his new club.
Might be good for all concerned because as much as I love watching him in full flight I sometimes involuntarily cringe when he goes for overhead marks and misses tackles and misses targets and gets caught with the ball when he are streaming forward.
If you were Hill or a family member, would you be happy with some of the bulls*** posts denigrating you on this site by supposed supporters, Fan forum , my arse.

Crossy66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 11:11am
Yorkeys wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 10:05am Seems Brad and family are unhappy with (some) Saints fans reaction to his contributions and is partial to a move because of that (source: Saints TV by way of unattributed rumours).
If you were Hill or a family member, would you be happy with some of the bulls*** posts denigrating you on this site by supposed supporters, Fan forum , my arse.
Never really understood the concept of supporters bagging Thier own players.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 11:21am
Never really understood the concept of supporters bagging Thier own players.
Plus one

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's okay to point out the areas where a player needs to improve, but the tendency for some to be so vitriolic is really disappointing.

It's the boiling, frothing at the mouth, spittle laden hatred I don't understand .

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Irrationality is in abundance. We've had people spout such positive ideas like

Delist Seb Ross (who's had a very good season)
Sack the coach
Attack Matt Finnis (who got us back to Moorabbin)
Delist Butler and Long
Trade out Gresham and Jones
Attack a player like Clark who's come back from bad injuries
Endlessly and obsessively bag Dougal Howard and Brad Hill

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sam Edmund just said on SEN that senior players and the leadership group had expressee a failing lack of trust in Brad Hill and is looking like the reason he is on the move.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

No I certainly wouldn't.
At the same time I have worked in positions where performance is always open to criticism from one quarter or another because of the friction between competing interests. Good and interesting jobs so the trade off is accepted and understood. You can always walk away but it seems to me certain fans bagging a player in AFL is just part of the deal, unfortunately. Some fans are so awful they intentionally want it to get under a players skin so they lose sleep. Real sweethearts, not.
Its what your peers and managers and true supporters think that's important. And while the way some criticism has been disgracefully put is unacceptable, a player for whatever reason not meeting expectations should be able to take it on board and use it to either improve or realise it is rubbish to be ignored, develop a thickish skin.
I understand the Saints as a club and all staff have been extremely supportive of Brad, the coach doing that publicly and attracting abuse himself.
I just hope Brad makes the right decision and is not overly influenced by a rabid minority. Talks through his upset with professionals. If he is that upset, he might just think our colours don't suit.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Been said before by many-
Hill is the cream on top.
Would do well in a top 4 team overloaded with talent; such a team controls the game so well and is so precise, that Hill adds a lot as an outside runner to finish off all the hard work to get the ball into space for him.
He'll pick through the middle, hit forwards on a lead.

Current state of our list has been overvalued by both supporters and the club.
We're inaccurate, uncompetitive, easily dominated, etc.
He doesn't belong.
He's not the foundation that you build on, he's the colourful decorative touches.

Players don't really do social media (well, King says he stays off it) so when he copped the racist DMs, his family should have persuaded him to delete his twitter, insta, and FB.
I don't blame him for taking the money- I blame the club for being stupid

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Rubyjo
Club Player

I don't think North require an outside cream on the top player like hill . They are bottom of the ladder for a reason. Maybe in a few years after Clarko performs a Miracle.
The roos fans will get what he gave us.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 12:27pm
No I certainly wouldn't.
At the same time I have worked in positions where performance is always open to criticism from one quarter or another because of the friction between competing interests. Good and interesting jobs so the trade off is accepted and understood. You can always walk away but it seems to me certain fans bagging a player in AFL is just part of the deal, unfortunately. Some fans are so awful they intentionally want it to get under a players skin so they lose sleep. Real sweethearts, not.
Its what your peers and managers and true supporters think that's important. And while the way some criticism has been disgracefully put is unacceptable, a player for whatever reason not meeting expectations should be able to take it on board and use it to either improve or realise it is rubbish to be ignored, develop a thickish skin.
I understand the Saints as a club and all staff have been extremely supportive of Brad, the coach doing that publicly and attracting abuse himself.
I just hope Brad makes the right decision and is not overly influenced by a rabid minority. Talks through his upset with professionals. If he is that upset, he might just think our colours don't suit.
Just to add to this…

I don’t know why anybody would take anything written here seriously.

This site and sites like it have never claimed to be full of industry experts with inside knowledge and valid opinions.

It’s quite literally for fans of the club to share whatever opinion they want. Some fans here are passionate about particular issue, others seek scoops, most are wanna be coaches whilst others simply want to vent their spleen… and all of that is fine.

None of this is meant to be taken seriously and few live under the delusion that what’s posted on this site means anything.

The site is for us… not for the club or players.

If any players/coaches or whoever read here and are effected by what’s posted… I actually think it speaks quite poorly of their perspective.

Imagine if Max King caught up with his goal kicking coach and said “the guys on SS said I should be twirling the ball less and having a longer march in so let’s prioritise that over what we’ve been working on”…
The coach would look at him like he’s deranged.

Personally… I think many here simply overrate the value of their own opinions.

All of this is valueless.

It’s just fun.

SS is as credible as getting research off Facebook. It shouldn’t be treated as anything more

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 1:10pm
Yorkeys wrote: Tue 23 Aug 2022 12:27pm
No I certainly wouldn't.
Just to add to this…

I don’t know why anybody would take anything written here seriously.

This site and sites like it have never claimed to be full of industry experts with inside knowledge and valid opinions.

It’s quite literally for fans of the club to share whatever opinion they want. Some fans here are passionate about particular issue, others seek scoops, most are wanna be coaches whilst others simply want to vent their spleen… and all of that is fine.

None of this is meant to be taken seriously and few live under the delusion that what’s posted on this site means anything.

The site is for us… not for the club or players.

If any players/coaches or whoever read here and are effected by what’s posted… I actually think it speaks quite poorly of their perspective.

Imagine if Max King caught up with his goal kicking coach and said “the guys on SS said I should be twirling the ball less and having a longer march in so let’s prioritise that over what we’ve been working on”…
The coach would look at him like he’s deranged.

Personally… I think many here simply overrate the value of their own opinions.

All of this is valueless.

It’s just fun.

SS is as credible as getting research off Facebook. It shouldn’t be treated as anything more
Point taken.

Whimper.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Like you said… the views of his peers and managers is what counts most as it should be.

This forum can’t even reach a consensus as to whether or not Hannebery should retire or not. Ask 100 of us what they should do now, get a hundred + different answers

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Very simplistic view from a simple poster …

Hill’s elite traits were endurance and speed with A grade disposal.

Hill does not look as fit or quick which affects his disposal as he has less time & space to work in.

Personal opinion only, but I think he’s a fat cat who probably doesn’t work like he did earlier in his career and his former elite endurance and speed is not what it once was.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!