The class of Hannebery

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The class of Hannebery

This guy makes the right decision every time he has the football in his hands. His skills are superb. Classiest footballer on our list and it showed tonight. If the rest of our players had his poise and skill we'd be a super team. What a shame he's played so little football for us.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: The class of Hannebery

Thought he had some good moments but also looked a bit sloppy in others, what you’d expect from someone who’s missed so much.

He and Sinclair were lucky they didn’t severely injure each other on the wing at one point!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

27 possessions, 10 contested, 5 clearances and freak goal as a bonus.

f***, what could have been.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

When he hit king on the lead I thought why the hell can’t anyone else do that

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

When he hit king on the lead I thought why the hell can’t anyone else do that

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

As I have already said more times than I care to remember the bloke can play but the contract he was given was just a really bad decision by the club knowing what they knew . Today he was very good lets hope he will stay on the park because we are a better team when he actually plays

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 30 Jul 2022 9:52pm 27 possessions, 10 contested, 5 clearances and freak goal as a bonus.

Not bad for your first senior game in 12 months.

His talent and class were never the issue.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Assistant coach? I've always said hes got the class and the know how, and I predicted he would play the final six games this year. But he looked cooked pretty quickly..hopefully he will recover...
Now, would you choose D MAc ahead of hannas on a wing?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 30 Jul 2022 10:20pm
saynta wrote: Sat 30 Jul 2022 9:52pm 27 possessions, 10 contested, 5 clearances and freak goal as a bonus.

Yep, excellent game.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Tissue was always the issue.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sat 30 Jul 2022 11:48pm

Tissue was always the issue.
😂🤣

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Class act

Hasn’t played for 12 months and rarely for 4 years

Steps into the afl and in the best players

See why we took a risk

Unfortunately it didn’t pay off

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 12:18am Class act

See why we took a risk

I don't agree with, 'See why we took the risk'.
I think that's bulls***.

We knew he was dodgy.
Sydney knew too.
The whole AFL knew..
Let's not start a rumour that it was a wise decision.

And for all you dicks who wanna posture your high mountain views are inconsequential...

Of course it is no slant on Dan the man or his manager...highest respect.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The risk was always the length of the contract at that salary

It was always a high risk, low percentage of success gambit

Not much cost in picks, incredible waste of money

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Thank goodness for calves blood and Dr. Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 2:44am The risk was always the length of the contract at that salary

It was always a high risk, low percentage of success gambit

Not much cost in picks, incredible waste of money
And yet it is still impossible to deny the guy pretty much makes every player on our list look very B and C grade and that is the saddest reality of it all. Ironically his recruitment is more a reflection of how poorly our recruitment has been for a very long time and his performance is another reminder of just how far off the pace our list is when you put an elite player like Hanners in our team, the gap is stark.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 2:55am Thank goodness for calves blood and Dr. Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt
Moo!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 2:55am Thank goodness for calves blood and Dr. Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt
I thought it was alpaca semen :shock:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 2:30am
B.M wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 12:18am Class act

See why we took a risk

I don't agree with, 'See why we took the risk'.
I think that's bulls***.

We knew he was dodgy.
Sydney knew too.
The whole AFL knew..
Let's not start a rumour that it was a wise decision.

And for all you dicks who wanna posture your high mountain views are inconsequential...

Of course it is no slant on Dan the man or his manager...highest respect.
Who's the dick again? :roll: :roll:

spert
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote: Sat 30 Jul 2022 10:02pm When he hit king on the lead I thought why the hell can’t anyone else do that
As King doesn't do much leading, that's one of the reasons why the ball gets bombed in so much

Sanctorum
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 9:53am
And yet it is still impossible to deny the guy pretty much makes every player on our list look very B and C grade and that is the saddest reality of it all. Ironically his recruitment is more a reflection of how poorly our recruitment has been for a very long time and his performance is another reminder of just how far off the pace our list is when you put an elite player like Hanners in our team, the gap is stark.
Interesting thoughts...absolutely correct that his elite qualities exposed the weakness of the St Kilda midfielders and confirms the urgent need for the cub to target at least one, better still two, elite midfielders in the upcoming trade period which an itk at Moorabbin told me recently.

However I disagree that Hannebery's recruitment was a mistake - yes, he was not in the best physical shape with chronic calf issues, but the club would have reasoned that there was a strong chance these could have been resolved in the short/medium term. He's not the first elite player with long-term debilitating injuries that has taken years to fix, and went on to make solid comebacks when many thought he was gone.

It is also testament to the strength of his character to persevere after almost 4 years of chronic injury and stay motivated to play again, a lot of others would have given the game away. Some will argue that his big money contract kept him going, but it's not as simple as that. He would have been extremely well off even before he left the Swans so I think it's more a case of personal pride to never give in when you're down and out.

Let's see how he goes next week and in the remaining games because if he can remain fit the team may well make finals - that's the sort of difference this bloke can make!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 11:53am
Interesting thoughts...absolutely correct that his elite qualities exposed the weakness of the St Kilda midfielders and confirms the urgent need for the cub to target at least one, better still two, elite midfielders in the upcoming trade period which an itk at Moorabbin told me recently.

However I disagree that Hannebery's recruitment was a mistake - yes, he was not in the best physical shape with chronic calf issues, but the club would have reasoned that there was a strong chance these could have been resolved in the short/medium term. He's not the first elite player with long-term debilitating injuries that has taken years to fix, and went on to make solid comebacks when many thought he was gone.

It is also testament to the strength of his character to persevere after almost 4 years of chronic injury and stay motivated to play again, a lot of others would have given the game away. Some will argue that his big money contract kept him going, but it's not as simple as that. He would have been extremely well off even before he left the Swans so I think it's more a case of personal pride to never give in when you're down and out.

Let's see how he goes next week and in the remaining games because if he can remain fit the team may well make finals - that's the sort of difference this bloke can make!
I avoid most discussion about Hanners, I find them as tedious and petty as any anti-coach or GT versus Lyon discussion. However the contrast is night and day and Hanners just gives us verifiable optic feedback of the gaping hole in our list. Our list is way off the pace and Hanners coming back into the side just reminds us of that. We need to recruit another Hanners type because I can't see one coming from the current list.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bytel.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 11:53am

I unfortunately did not see the game live.
He looked very good and composed from what I saw on TV, typical class of a player of his skill & experience.
Great effort for a guy who hasn't played in 12 months.

What you don't see on TV is work rate up and down the ground and effort off the ball.
In 2020 & 2021 I found watching live, Hanneberry was not accountable for opponents and was not getting up and down the ground very well.

Can anybody who was at the game comment on these areas?

Will be interesting to see if he comes up for next weeks match and if so how he performs on the back his first match in 12 months.
You'd guess it would be physically very tough for him to back up next week.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 12:34pmBytel.
Probably will need all of 2023 to prove he should remain on the list. Next year will be his 5th year on an AFL list and he hasn't made a dent in it yet. Another one who looks good at VFL level but hasn't been able to convert that into establishing himself in the best 22 for one reason or another. If he doesn't do that in 2023 then he'll be cut is my guess.