Sharman and Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sharman and Ross

I just watched a replay of the match and was impressed by how well these two played with very little fan fare here or elsewhere.

Both only managed to attract one vote from posters. Seb from a savvy banger9798 and Sharman from the astute kosi who was as usual, on the ball

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Sharman and Ross

Almost gave Sebby a vote it was a toss up between Members & Sebby but thought Members was slightly better & Sharman was pretty handy IMO as well

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 7:32pm Almost gave Sebby a vote it was a toss up between Members & Sebby but thought Members was slightly better & Sharman was pretty handy IMO as well
Yeah, I overlooked both of them too.

saintbob
SS Life Member

I’d written Seb off prior to the start of the year, but have to dip my cap to him. He’ll be top 5 in the B&F

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saintbob wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 7:39pm I’d written Seb off prior to the start of the year, but have to dip my cap to him. He’ll be top 5 in the B&F
Yep for sure

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sharman's game was promising. The Hawthorn player I had likened him to was Gunston but perhaps, with more exposure to AFL & the gym, he may be more Sicily. He can certainly read the play, contests marks and I like that he does the simple, basic effort of shepherding for the person he just dished off to.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t see the game. Where did Sharman play?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 8:22pm Didn’t see the game. Where did Sharman play?
Half back if I have to describe it.

bergsone
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 8:22pm Didn’t see the game. Where did Sharman play?
Down back,was quite solid and looks like he can develope into a kpb with another pre season more gym size,neat kick.Still like the thought of him as a forward tho

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sharman’s efforts were acknowledged in a few places here

I had Ross as an honourable mention. Had a good game… maybe eclipsed by a few others. Lots of votes to go out after a win

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 8:20pm Sharman's game was promising. The Hawthorn player I had likened him to was Gunston but perhaps, with more exposure to AFL & the gym, he may be more Sicily. He can certainly read the play, contests marks and I like that he does the simple, basic effort of shepherding for the person he just dished off to.
Sharman is a natural footballer , with a feel for the game. He is a keeper.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ross is possibly top 3 in the B&F, is having probably one of his better years.

Sharman is lucky to be getting a game and even luckier he has a coach who is willing to experiment.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 9:00pm Ross is possibly top 3 in the B&F, is having probably one of his better years.

Sharman is lucky to be getting a game and even luckier he has a coach who is willing to experiment.
Funny eh, the harder Cooper trains the better he plays and the luckier he gets.
And a coach that thinks outside the box to best use playing stocks, my goodness what have things come to.

Seb is definitely in the top 5 of B&F, not top 3, maybe. Possibly, probably, perhaps - in an unqualified sense of course. Definitely top 8. Or so.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 9:33pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 9:00pm Ross is possibly top 3 in the B&F, is having probably one of his better years.

Funny eh, the harder Cooper trains the better he plays and the luckier he gets.
And a coach that thinks outside the box to best use playing stocks, my goodness what have things come to.

Seb is definitely in the top 5 of B&F, not top 3, maybe. Possibly, probably, perhaps - in an unqualified sense of course. Definitely top 8. Or so.
The big question is will Howard be able to force his way back into the side now Sharman has secured his first SS vote as a backline player.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Did Ratts give Sharman a cuddle after the game and whisper, good to have you back man.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sharman is a forward
Nice experiment but personally I’d like to see him out of the goal square with Max higher up at CHF abd doubling back….can’t stand still doing that

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

At the moment he is learning to play AFL from Wilkie and at the same time watching how forwards are supposed to play. Leave him alone for a couple of weeks

avid
Club Player

One day soon he'll stick one of his monumental pack flies.
He's almost taken three marks of the year in last couple of games.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

I really hope they persist with Sharman.
If fitness is the issue, then he needs to get fitter, but his marking, vision and smarts as well as his field kicking is hard to teach. Good footy player, and valuable pick up.

Love to see him develop into a double act with King.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 4:19am I really hope they persist with Sharman.
If fitness is the issue, then he needs to get fitter, but his marking, vision and smarts as well as his field kicking is hard to teach. Good footy player, and valuable pick up.

Yep, me too Banger. We need him to be Gunston more than Sicily (my post above) but he is a natural footballer. I really hope the penny drops and he builds his tank and strength.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 4:19am I really hope they persist with Sharman.

He's great in straight lines, has the turning circle of the titanic, lacks agility. Might go OK through these dead rubber games but will struggle to hold his spot next year when Hayes comes back in or if there is another player we have recruited to play the second tall forward which you'd think will be high on the shopping list especially if Paddy is forced into retirement.

After a second tall to work with Max ideally a mid sized forward is what we need like a Garry Rohan at the Cats or Fitch at Melbourne and that's why Sharman probably won't make it, well in an AFL forward line, becaue he doesn't have any agility.

I think he'll become a depth player.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't look like a natural back to me at all, but could learn.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Sharman has gone ok in the last couple of games, and appears to have effectively displaced Highmore for a place in the backline. But he remains a fringe player. Depending on who comes back (perhaps Hannebury, Owens or even Howard) and who's out injured (any of Webster, Gresham or Billings, with the latter the most likely IMO), he might be omitted this week.

I think some of Vortex's comments about him are way over the top, but he's one of those players whose skill levels exceed his level of physical development. Players of this type take a while to come good, so I believe he could still amount to something.

One good sign: I'm pretty sure I saw a free kick awarded against him on Sunday for pushing/dragging an opponent out of the way. That's something new.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 12:49pm Sharman has gone ok in the last couple of games, and appears to have effectively displaced Highmore for a place in the backline. But he remains a fringe player. Depending on who comes back (perhaps Hannebury, Owens or even Howard) and who's out injured (any of Webster, Gresham or Billings, with the latter the most likely IMO), he might be omitted this week.

I think some of Vortex's comments about him are way over the top, but he's one of those players whose skill levels exceed his level of physical development. Players of this type take a while to come good, so I believe he could still amount to something.

One good sign: I'm pretty sure I saw a free kick awarded against him on Sunday for pushing/dragging an opponent out of the way. That's something new.
I think my views appear OTT because they are made in a sea of hysterical fan boy love. Sharman is possibly our next Mark McGough or Spencer White.

The best illustration of how the fan boy love-in has evolved is to summarise Sharmans progress from his debut where he become an automatic 200 gamer in our forward line after one game with many fan boys relentlessly claiming he is such a natural forward but then he becomes stranded on 4 games until he gets another game because Hayes does his knee and we are desperate so he came back in but then gets dropped 2 games later. Then he gets another game, again because we are desperate, but more desperate than ever because Howard goes out and we dont have any options so we throw him into the backline.

I mean what part of that story is deserved of all the fan boy love he attracts. Clearly every opportunity he has been given so far has been because we are desperate and scraping the bottom of the barrel for depth.

Credit should be given to Ratts for experimenting with him.

spiral3
Club Player

not a Seb Ross fan but he’s been far better this year, decent disposal and decision making. provided good run too
West Coast game was the Seb I can’t stand, his disposal was awful. made little effort to hit team mates, often using hack kicks forward which gave our team no advantage.
Needs to use his experience and show composure with the ball otherwise he just feeds the opposition and opens us up to counter attack.
I like Sharman but some weaknesses that are concerning. As Vortex says his agility seems poor. Although I think the same of Battle and he seems to have improved in that area.
Has a nice leap for spoiling (like Howard) but worried that he can overcommit in the air and be easily bodied out of the contest in the air. Slight push whilst he’s airborne and he flys away, no impact on contest and no chance to recover and pressure. Coffield a better option in this role down back.
Hopefully he’s there mainly as an education for his forward craft. Has to play there if anywhere, if he can get the ball more often down forward he will kick goals, conversion is his super power