Players which you got wrong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Players which you got wrong

Something bit more relaxed after Friday night - Players who were wrong about that played for the saints.
Be it thought were good and were not or thought were no good and turned out good.

Obviously our lack of knowledge of off field habits made some of these harder.

2 from me:
- Damien Kitchske - big CHF/ 2nd ruck who looked capable of a big mark and able to kick a goal . One of those who were drafted and then took a couple years to actually come over from SA. Had a couple reasonable games as i remember early on ( including one at Windy Hill v Essendon we only just lost) and I thought we had a good one here. Got that one wrong

- Zac Dawson - recruited the pencil thin kid from Hawthorn who Rocca absolutely abused early on. Thought WTF. While never a star was a very good player in our system and a ball bounces differently perhaps part of folk law for a huge spoil.

others?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Players which you got wrong

Jamie Shanahan. Though he had no chance of making it. Same with Steven Baker. Sam Fisher looked a C grade plodder in his first season up forward with us.

Another one was Geary. I thought he'd be done after about 5 games. He looked out of his depth. I had serious doubts about Seb Ross, too.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Russell Morris

I had some vocal Hawthorn 'mates' in the 80s. Geez, how they used to bag Morris. They said he was the most over rated player. I thought he wouldn't do much at St Kilda, but he played respectably for several seasons. Mind you, I was always wondering.

Same for many of the Carlton and Hawthorn 'used cars' we got in the period '84 - '94. There are so many I can't count 'em. Some had some pretty serious miles on the clock.

I'll be honest, I didn't think Stewie Loewe would be such a champ in the first few years of his career. If you can imagine a giraffe playing billiards, that is how I saw his kicking style. Made Max Walker look like Michael Holding.

I think many players have a cool and calm style. They are the ones we might underrate. The Wakelins for instance. Percentage tennis but good 'quiet' skills. Tim Pekin.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I thought Ryder was irrelevant and nothing more than steak knives when he came over from Port, and he's probably be gone in a year... how wrong I was!

I also thought selecting Steve Smith as a batsman before the 2013 Ashes was an absolute joke! :shock:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I was a HUGE fan of Allan Murray when he came over.

At no point did I think the kid was not not going to make it. He was shorter but a running player that played as a marking target and could crumb. Absolutely miffed me at the time that he didn’t play more.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Farren Ray

Not only did I but my Doggie mates, who gave me heaps when we traded for him. Became a very consistent and important player for us. Showed plenty of courage and good decision making, both aspects really annoyed my Footscray friends.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Fletcher

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
outside66
Club Player

Zak Jones - I thought he was good but his true colours are coming through. He is the softest tough guy going out and you can see why he was a half back flanker at Sydney and never in their midfield. He can't tackle, he can't break tackles, he struggles to kick goals, and he struggles to kick the football. Pretty much a quick Luke Dunstan without the defensive attributes. Would love to be proven wrong but I think he's on the precipice at Moorabbin.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022 3:01pm I thought Ryder was irrelevant and nothing more than steak knives when he came over from Port, and he's probably be gone in a year... how wrong I was!

I also thought selecting Steve Smith as a batsman before the 2013 Ashes was an absolute joke! :shock:
Didn't make it.
Daryl Cowie, good size, run, kick, mark but just didn't get the ball.
Tom Ledger, watched practice matches and he was tough and won plenty of the ball.
Tony King - BOG in his first game, looked like a genius trade :cry:

Did make it.
Paddy Ryder, looked overweight and finished at PA.
Joey Montagna, looked out of his depth as a HFF and well behind Dal, Ball, X from his draft.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
older saint
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022 3:41pm Fletcher
Assuming you thought no good?

one of our worst delistings - Hudson didn't want to pay him and he called their bluff went to brisbane and became a very good player.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

older saint wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022 3:58pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022 3:41pm Fletcher
Assuming you thought no good?

one of our worst delistings - Hudson didn't want to pay him and he called their bluff went to brisbane and became a very good player.
I though we was pretty bloody good for us

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I thought Kosi was going to be a super star but a couple of serious head knocks & he never reached his full potential . Rising star in his first year looked like he was going win the Brownlow in another I think he had 4 or 5 3 vote games in row alas he didn't really dominate games like he did in that year & ended up struggling in his latter years. Luke Ball I thought was going to be gun mid but op ruined his speed & kicking ability was still handy but not what I was hoping for. Fergus Watts I thought he was a great pick up hardly played a game, Jason (Jack)Daniels I thought he was a spud but actually played some decent footy for us.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

From the recent past, I'm one of those who firmly believed Luke Dunstan was a heart and soul player who'd epitomise the club ethos and lead us to glory.

I was hugely relieved we dumped Paddy McCartin - thought he was a liability (even though tbh I didn't see the upside of Petracca initially) but look at us now, desperate for a big man down back.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I pushed Brandon White in his draft year in a review I did for few clubs. Had every tool possible other than attitude which in the end finished him.

Spencer White was a legit talent but he just didn't want it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Tommy Walsh.

When he did press-ups he didn't push himself up, he pushed the earth down.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Sam Dunnell, Luke Dunstan, Rhyse Stanley, Terry Milera, Mark McGough, Paddy McCartin, Jack Billings, Paul Hunter, Brodie Murdock, Josh Saunders, Nathan Wright;

thats 11, remember any?

I have not applied for any recruiting/scout positions on the basis of the above.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Just thought of another Aaryn Sipposs booming left foot good above his head thought he would definitely make it so disappointed when he didn't

SaintDippa
Club Player

I'll throw in Fergus Watts, Barry Brooks and Tom Lee. High anticipation, disappointing reality.

leighsaintsince66
Club Player

I remember standing behind the goals at the South Road end at Moorabbin in the mid 1980's.
I saw a young man called Frawley in the backline. My early impression was that he would probably never make it. What a bad judge I was...

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

leighsaintsince66 wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022 7:42pm I remember standing behind the goals at the South Road end at Moorabbin in the mid 1980's.
I saw a young man called Frawley in the backline. My early impression was that he would probably never make it. What a bad judge I was...
Great admission. Kudos!

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

leighsaintsince66 wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022 7:42pm I remember standing behind the goals at the South Road end at Moorabbin in the mid 1980's.
Yeah mate you were wrong :wink: :)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

…………………thought Robert Harvey was a bit of a plodder thought he would just come and go like many of the others at the time.
Got that one a little bit wrong :oops:
was initially impressed by his Ronald Reagan hairdo

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The current list

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022 8:25pm …………………thought Robert Harvey was a bit of a plodder thought he would just come and go like many of the others at the time.
Got that one a little bit wrong :oops:
was initially impressed by his Ronald Reagan hairdo
Yeah Firey I can see the Reagan look :wink:

Ferntrree Gully Sainter

Tim Allen - Tall, beautiful kick but obviously not dedicated as Hawthorn and Geelong let him go as well.