Positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintDippa
Club Player

Re: Positives

Out of interest. When Doggies were smashing us Q1 in clearance who did Ratts send to Smith and Bont to at least stem the easy extraction?
Did nothing I could see. Nothing.
40 down, corridor a freeway, doggies moving the footy at will and we're chipping across the ground for no benefit.
The coaches box getting a free ride by some in this thread.
When you're getting smashed the players need the coaches to make changes, do something. I noticed nothing changing even after 7 unanswered.
Last edited by SaintDippa on Sun 17 Jul 2022 11:16am, edited 1 time in total.

Gershwin
Club Player

SaintDippa wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 11:12am Out of interest. When Doggies were smashing us Q1 in clearance who did Ratts send to Smith and Bont to at least stem the easy extraction?
Did nothing I could see. Nothing.
40 down, corridor a freeway, doggies moving the footy at will and we're chipping across the ground for no benefit.
The coaches box getting a free ride by some in this thread.
When you're getting smashed the players need the coaches to make changes, do something. I noticed nothing changing even after 7 unanswered.
On field leadership was poor too. Steele not a good captain. Poor leadership group.

summertime and the living is easy ........
spert
Saintsational Legend

One thing with St Kilda- the word 'development' is positively a dirty word. We have flopped around since 2010. I remember when Watters came in as coach, he was pretty keen the get the player development side of things organised, but once he said the word "rebuild" publicly he was gone, mainly because the club only knows short-term fixes, and long-term is 2-3 years for this mob.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

thats the bit i don't understand

very early in the last
the pill was about to exit our hb line
brad was waving the play forward

i thought

they've said ... **** it , lets have a go (attack)

next thing that stuck out like dogs testes
was that someone in rw+b was actually on the move
at stoppage restart ... ben long

we started the game defensive in the middle
flat footed already 'n stayed that way for 3/4

cant tackle what you cant catch
especially after kicking it to them in the corridor
... repeatedly
we weren't moving

the backs got swamped

until ... we had a go

MAY AS WELL ... have a go

isn't THAT the lesson

is the pill slingshotting back at our defence
from our half forward line
any worse
than going straight in from the centre

its the defensive mindset that stinks

they've (who ever they are) have already won

**** that

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Sanctorum
Club Player

You make a really good point Crossy66, both Jordan Lewis going to Melbourne and Luke Hodge plus Grant Birchall to Brisbane have helped both those clubs to turn their fortunes around significantly. The lack of elite on-field leadership has been a major problem at St Kilda for a long time and has been a major factor in the 5 losses since the bye round. It was what the recruitment of Dan Hannebery was intended to fix....

Looking at the list of senior AFL players that are in their early 30's who possess similar super elite credentials like Lewis and Hodge there is no-one that really stands out.

Maybe Eagles skipper Luke Shuey who is still averaging 21.8 disposals as a midfielder in an injury effected season (played the last 7 straight) and he's out of contract this year, comes from Oakleigh Chargers so may be open to a return to Melbourne. In his 13 year career he has amassed 91 Brownlow votes.

It will quite rightly be argued that St Kilda need to bring in fresh and younger talent, I get that, but with Shuey the team would immediately have an experienced and highly rated leader, which is one the team's major shortcomings.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Crossy66
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022 11:50am You make a really good point Crossy66, both Jordan Lewis going to Melbourne and Luke Hodge plus Grant Birchall to Brisbane have helped both those clubs to turn their fortunes around significantly. The lack of elite on-field leadership has been a major problem at St Kilda for a long time and has been a major factor in the 5 losses since the bye round. It was what the recruitment of Dan Hannebery was intended to fix....

Looking at the list of senior AFL players that are in their early 30's who possess similar super elite credentials like Lewis and Hodge there is no-one that really stands out.

Maybe Eagles skipper Luke Shuey who is still averaging 21.8 disposals as a midfielder in an injury effected season (played the last 7 straight) and he's out of contract this year, comes from Oakleigh Chargers so may be open to a return to Melbourne. In his 13 year career he has amassed 91 Brownlow votes.

It will quite rightly be argued that St Kilda need to bring in fresh and younger talent, I get that, but with Shuey the team would immediately have an experienced and highly rated leader, which is one the team's major shortcomings.
Yep Shuey would be good if he can stay fit. I was thinking a jack reiwoldt.
What a resume! premierships, Coleman's, AAx3 , club bf's.
Would love him camped in the fwd line mentoring Max, Higgo etc. Richmond haven't committed to him yet, so might be very get table, on reasonable money and might plug the tall forward hole for a year or two.
I reckon if jack spoke, our boys would listen. Maybe he could bring Dusty too🙂

Sanctorum
Club Player

Yes, I considered Jack Riewoldt when scouting around the other team's lists to see who might be good. Trouble is, Jack is so tied up with a blossoming career in the media that moving to St Kilda as an on-field mentor might detract from his long term plans. Besides, St Kilda's #1 priority has to be to strengthen its midfield, which makes Shuey an ideal prospect.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The Footy Department choir's singing "Always Look on the Brightside of Life" is perfectly in tune.
Whistling:
Do de do de do de do de do.
Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best
And
Always look on the bright side of life
Always look on the light side of life,

When Paddy's leg is gone and board renews a nong