Coaching tonight..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Coaching tonight..

..any comments..

No, it’s not about the extension to Ratts contract. Putting that to the side for the moment, how do you think we went?

I got tired of seeing oppo big bodies out numbering Max and in the goal square and forward 50 like cows straying onto a road…Where the f did they come from?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Coaching tonight..

Coaching would be easier with more quality players.
Another quality KPD and another KPF to assist Max would help the team, if we had them on our list.

There are other weaknesses but they are the ones that always stick out to me.

Other weaknesses, like better mids, better crumbing forwards and on it goes.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
nobhead
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 1:18am Coaching would be easier with more quality players.
Another quality KPD and another KPF to assist Max would help the team, if we had them on our list.

There are other weaknesses but they are the ones that always stick out to me.

Other weaknesses, like better mids, better crumbing forwards and on it goes.
you can bang about quality players but time after time we move the ball from defence get to the wing/ hf area stop wait ,don,t kick to a 1 on 1 contest in our fwd half.then when there is no obvious option we bomb it long to a crowded ,outnumbered fwd line then wonder why king can't out mark 3 opponnents lol.our ball movement is too slow and our descion making is poor and just to top it off apart from a few players our skills are shyte .has been like that for a while now as alot of people on here have pointed out..its a combination of both talent and coaching.keep turning the list over ,keep recruiting guys like windhager and nwm and give ratten good assistants .unfortunately its not a quick fix .we are paying for 3-4 years of horrendous drafting/ recruiting.anyway im in my 50's hope im still around when they finally do get it right.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Comment 1 of 15. Our kick out strategy. Chip to the back pocket then long down the line or chip to the back pocket then chip to the boundary back flank then long down the line. All week to prepare and that was the plan. Admittedly Ratts had more pressing matters last week.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I do not see desperation
I do not see Play for your Mates
I do not see Pride in the Jumper
I do not see Hunger
I do not see Commitment
I do not see Responsibility for your actions

I do see all these things when I watch Under 16 football - players who are only just coached but want to win because they play for a TEAM

Oh - I just realized the difference

These guys turned their hobby into a job and now don't like their job.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saint6709
Club Player

We dont have the players - the supporters have known for years that we need to recruit at least 1 more tall back - our recruiters dont seem to have picked up on that. ( we lost carlisle, clavarino, and the hawthorn guy in 1 go and our recruiters didnt think maybe the list needs to balance out the loss of tall defenders - not sure how they could not think of that )

if the carlton talls kicked straight last week we lose - this week our guys made some terrible mistakes - probably because they knew they were too small to defend these guys if freo gave them some good delivery.

Free did give some good delivery and our guys panicking made mistakes and they tore us apart.

At the other end another tall guy would have been useful

The kicking coach seems to have told them to 'kick through the ball' - my coach in under 12's 1979 was probably saying the same thing - they dont need to kick hard through it - just relax and kick it straight - Marshall and Higgens prime examples

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I would have been encouraged if we had team rules that could not be violated no matter and as a consequence Butler was benched for the rest of the game after he gave away the 50. That was inexcusable no matter the extreme provocation. How long do you have to play or follow footy to know umpires, particularly the current bunch, are technically poor and hopelessly up themselves, think they are above criticism. Well they are, but letting them know in the heat of a game that is on the line when you know its not going to change a decision is mind blowingly selfish and dumb. But you know, boys will be boys, know how you feel Dan, unfortunate etc etc.

I think that action is highly symbolic of where we are at. No mental strength, self indulgent players, weak coaches, weak team first ethic.

As for a game plan, good luck working that out. To give Brett his due, he did seem to feel something was terribly wrong, but what...?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I always go to rattens presser after a game I don’t think I’ll bother any more I’m getting nothing

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

A game of two halves.

Looked great in the first half (apart from the defence) and should have been 5 goals up.

Absolutely stopped in the third, reverted back to the ‘bomb it long’ gameplan when the pressure rose.

Couldn’t stop the Freo momentum, not sure whether that is on the coach or players.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Saintmike65
Club Player

I had a chat with Brett Ratten pre season, around December from memory.
I made the comment that out of the 9 players taken off the list, 7 of them were talls..he looked at me with a blank face, as if that surprised him.
He’s a terrific guy Brett but I wonder if he is accross things enough at the club.
He then made the comment that there was enough coverage but I wasn’t convinced…we’ve been very fortunate we haven’t had many injuries to our talls.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Those bemoaning it’s all lack of quality players totally ignore the disorganisation on the ground
The pathetic handballing to team mates under pressure
Dreadful transition from D50
Non existent forward structure - our players all congregate 25 metres out from goal waiting for the bomb which is easy pickings for the opposition
The inability to be mentally switched on for 4 quarters - has happened ALL year
The picking and choosing of when to give effort
Let’s get serious - we do have some spud players but they are totally confused
That’s coaching that’s game plan FFS
And we re-signed Richo 2.0 for another 2 years when we didn’t need to???
Just look defensively how organised Longmuir has Freo??
I said last week - Carlton have a transition game and a genuine forward structure (we got lucky they missed)
Again, why would you rush into signing a bloke not in demand who has delivered 1 good season in a Covid interrupted year ?
We all knew the test against good sides was coming - so we rich to lock in….eek out a win against Blues and come out with the worst kept secret in footy ….deal done weeks ago
Club takes our money and treats us like idiots cause we accept it
Yes we need to turn the list over but FFS the coa hung has been ordinary- zero ideas in the second half after Longmuir made moves
Even first half -cue Benny Hill music to the way we brought the ball forward at times ..
Riewoldt even said it last week no one takes notice - we do t have a repeatable game style, one players can rely on and execute (see Swans, Cats et al) we have haphazard , scrappy bombing into 50 capped off with a miracle 5 goal haul from King/Higgins/Membrey …..it’s NOT sustainable and that’s coaching FFS
Good coaches devise a game plan that plays to their list strengths
Ours don’t

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 10:25am …..we need to recruit at least 1 more tall back - our recruiters dont seem to have picked up on that….

What would you have done last night?
Mid-third term. It’s clearly going pear-shaped.

I suggested Marshall play at CHB at the start of the year….

I would have sent him there last night…(Look, I don’t have a clue how Marshall’s attributes would have worked on Tabener or Lobster face, but do something)

Could Battle have fought in the ruck as undersized? And Ryder to the forward line?

What a mess.

On a side note.

I think clearly Lienert would have been better, but how were they to know? Freo were powerful. Highmore was clearly rattled…and with no Howard there and a terribly undermanned defence it was a terrible baptism.

Freo,
Carlton,
Collingwood

Three teams that have raced ahead of us the las5 18 months.
Gee, damn..f it!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintbob
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 11:34am I always go to rattens presser after a game I don’t think I’ll bother any more I’m getting nothing
It’s very Richardsonisque, I stopped watching his pressers 12mths ago!!
Last edited by saintbob on Sun 10 Jul 2022 12:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 12:11pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 11:34am I always go to rattens presser after a game I don’t think I’ll bother any more I’m getting nothing
It’s very Richardsonisque, I stop watching his pressers 12mths ago!!
No answered
And what happened to Rattens famous line 2 yeas ago??
“If you can’t kick you don’t play”
Well here we are Brett 2 years and still persisting with the sane hacks by foot??????
That’s on you pal
Fast track Connolly etc - can kick
**** Jones off in a trade
DO something

“Yeah….nah””
saintbob
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 12:15pm
saintbob wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 12:11pm
It’s very Richardsonisque, I stop watching his pressers 12mths ago!!
No answered
And what happened to Rattens famous line 2 yeas ago??
“If you can’t kick you don’t play”
Well here we are Brett 2 years and still persisting with the sane hacks by foot??????
That’s on you pal
Fast track Connolly etc - can kick
**** Jones off in a trade
DO something
Ratten’s biggest issue is and always has been, is he too friendly with the playing group!!!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

It was no surprise that last night Freo (Longmuir) threw Fyfe into the centre when they had lost clearances in the first half. Basically it changed the game, any coach worth his salt would have planned for it during the week and have a response. This is a rinse and repeat each week - Ratten goes to the same 5 mids every week - Steele, Crouch, Ross, Jones & Gresham, is simply DUMB COACHING. Having Fyfe in their gave them another crash and bash body which released Brayshaw, Serong and even Brodie. They won first use and gave 20 metre long handballs releasing the wider runners.

What a contrast that is to our players who give dinky little 2-5 metre handballs to team mates also under pressure. That is absolutely coaching and system and we are really poorly prepared in that regard. There are NUMEROUS EXAMPLES of Ratten's poor coaching but another is our use of Max King. He is tall and skinny and when he gets a clear run at the ball is a great mark. Because he has no body strength his opponents push him under the ball or check his run at the ball really easily. Having him standing in the goal square and not leading up at the ball is one of the main causes of the teams 'bomb it long' addiction. Again that sits squarely on Rattens and his assistants coaches, its just dumb football.

Windhager is a proven clearance player at VFL level but I cant recall him going to one centre clearance or get one run through the midfield? Sinclair has looked brilliant when thrown in their why not give him short bursts? Others are Butler who also showed he did well playing through the middle at VFL level WTF he doesnt get tried over Gresham (who has zero defensive game) defies belief. Higgins in an interview at the start of the year suggested he wanted midfield minutes - again why not try him? Ratten preaches he wants player versatility but does exactly the opposite.

I can understand backing yours players when you are coaching, but when things are changing the results of games Ratten has shown time and again he has NO ANSWERS!!
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sun 10 Jul 2022 6:16pm, edited 2 times in total.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

At the moment, we are poorly coached. Not saying Ratten is a bad coach, but we’re poorly coached at present.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

SydneySainter wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 2:06pm At the moment, we are poorly coached. Not saying Ratten is a bad coach, but we’re poorly coached at present.
Assistant coaches

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 2:59pm
SydneySainter wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 2:06pm At the moment, we are poorly coached. Not saying Ratten is a bad coach, but we’re poorly coached at present.
Assistant coaches
Piss poor excuse, I know you dont appoint the coaches Tony, but the club have just appointed Ratten for another 2 years???

I just watched 3/4 of the Sandringham game and they have the exact same issues. I m completely convinced Ratten is another f....n Richardson, with player management and game style and the club will go backwards while he remains at the club.

He has no plan B and pidgeon holes players until they are completely devoid of confidence. The guy simply has no natural feel for the game, he is a clown and not a coaches backside!

Iv had enough, what a cluster of a football club we follow!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 3:18pm
Assistant coaches
Piss poor excuse, I know you dont appoint the coaches Tony, but the club have just appointed Ratten for another 2 years???

I just watched 3/4 of the Sandringham game and they have the exact same issues. I m completely convinced Ratten is another f....n Richardson, with player management and game style and the club will go backwards while he remains at the club.

He has no plan B and pidgeon holes players until they are completely devoid of confidence. The guy simply has no natural feel for the game, he is a clown and not a coaches backside!

Iv had enough, what a cluster of a football club we follow!
Agree 100%

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Assistant coaches
I know Lade wasn’t rated previously
McGlynn ??? Gotta go
I’d keep Boris
Tony we are stuck with Ratten whether we like it or not
Do you think there is any chance we clean out assistants but just maybe bring in a head of football (not a bloody stats guy) who understands the game and who challenge/help the coach ????
We’ve got to be bold NOW or we are set for years in wilderness
Williams??
I know it’s a long shot but IF he wanted to stay in Melbourne pay Clarkson to consult in at the club FFS do something or we are heading down Richo territory badly
Ratten has had 3 years remember….it’s been his group for 3 years not 3 minutes
Time for genuine leadership from Lethlean and Basset

“Yeah….nah””
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 4:47pm
Assistant coaches
McGlynn ??? Gotta go
I’d keep Boris
Do you think there is any chance we clean out assistants but just maybe bring in a head of football (not a bloody stats guy) who understands the game and who challenge/help the coach ????
Williams??
I know it’s a long shot but IF he wanted to stay in Melbourne pay Clarkson to consult in at the club FFS do something or we are heading down Richo territory badly
Lethlean extended Richo. Now he's extended Ratten. WTF? The point being that I can't see Lethlean doing anything different.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 4:54pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 4:47pm
Assistant coaches
McGlynn ??? Gotta go
I’d keep Boris
Williams??
Lethlean extended Richo. Now he's extended Ratten. WTF?
The decisions of the Board and administration in this regard are a deadset disgrace, unjustifiable and unacceptable.

Most of us on here have been saying this for ages. It's plain to see.

Leathlean is a tarnished central AFL administrator/head kicker who has made some shocking personnel appointments. He has no real football department knowledge or experience. And it shows.

Finniss may be an ok administrator but should keep his woke agendas to himself and have nothing to do with footfall operations. Thanks for getting RSEA park up and running etc.

Ratten is a good guy, who needs to be loved by all and sundry. There is no separation, no boundary between him and the players. It is all just so soft and cuddly, and he has no game-day clue or smarts. He really is, as has been mentioned, Richo 2.0, on game day.

Anybody, in any role, left over from the Richo years must be jettisoned pronto. This shitstain just rolls on.

Bring into the club ONLY strong, experienced, knowledgeable, tough, uncompromising, results-driven, tactical, smart people in all areas.

Those with the big money, put some big $$$ into the club to do this or FXCK OFF. Stop treating our club like a toy, or a hobby or some kind of private plaything for entitled wankers.

I am well over 50 years+ of sub-standard admin. in all its failing forms.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Ratts has the same w/l percentage ... running at 50% now ... as Richo did.

There are other areas we are perennially failing in ... the coach isn't the main culprit and never was.

We need to realise that recruitment and development is where it's really at if you want to succeed .. and make sure we have the best recruiting and developing teams going around.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 10 Jul 2022 1:03pm It was no surprise that last night Freo (Longmuir) threw Fyfe into the centre when they had lost clearances in the first half. Basically it changed the game, any coach worth his salt would have planned for it during the week and have a response. This is a rinse and repeat each week - Ratten goes to the same 5 mids every week - Steele, Crouch, Ross, Jones & Gresham, is simply DUMB COACHING. Having Fyfe in their gave them another crash and bash body which released Brayshaw, Serong and even Brodie. They won first use and gave 20 metre long handballs releasing the wider runners.
Great post by the way. I’ve trimmed it down to highlight your first paragraph only. Maybe Fyfe would have just been a bit more tentative if some one the size and weight of Battle was standing opposite him in the centre square. Hard to put your head over the footy all the time if your eyes are looking at who is around you

Remember what Battle did to Nate Fyfe about 3 years ago? I reckon Joshy could’ve just gone into the middle to put some fear and some doubt into Fyfe’s mind.

Not saying it would have worked, but these are the tactics and the mind games and the contingencies we need in crunch games. As you say, it’s the same mids every week.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/44771/sick ... 4628205001

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sen ... 51d2v.html