IF The Board Re-sign Ratten They Should Go

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: IF The Board Re-sign Ratten They Should Go

remboy wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 6:52pm
Leo.J wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 5:33pm Is this a joke thread?
Aren’t they all?
Probably.
But everyone keeps coming back, is it because laughter is the best medicine ? :lol:

If we lose this week, that'll be 4 in a row. :shock: :shock:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 8:33pm
Aren’t they all?
Probably.
But everyone keeps coming back, is it because laughter is the best medicine ? :lol:

Is that becaue 4 comes after 3?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 8:38pm
Wayne42 wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 8:33pm
Aren’t they all?
Probably.

Is that becaue 4 comes after 3?
Correct.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 4:58pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 12:05am Here’s a great view from BF spelling out how the club must think supporters are stupid…

Amazing how fast the narrative for 2022 has changed from “why not us?” to “we’ve never had the cattle to contend.”

Goalposts continually shifting.

The club just think we are idiots that will swallow anything at this point, honestly.
Teflon, do you think it's really fair to have a crack at our club for coming out with positive comments about the team's prospects at the start of a new season, they're hardly going to predict another poor year coming up. And for the first 11 rounds the players obviously believed in their mantra "why not us??".

Furthermore, wouldn't you agree it's fair to say that the team has punched above its weight to be sitting in 4th spot and 8-3 at the halfway mark, given the paucity of elite players on the list.

Doesn't this therefore reflect positively on Ratten's coaching, or is it a case of JFK's famous quote: "victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" ?

Allow me to digress but this reminds me of another famous paraphrased quote that I have long felt is a really appropriate mantra for St Kilda supporters, it's by the late Swiss-American psychiatrist Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, renowned for her work on death and dying and an appropriate Patron Saint:

"The most beautiful people are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of those depths."
It’s lovely and poetic but I just prefer honesty
Start of the year “why not us??”
Now….list no good…we’ve overachieved (code for:”we’ve already re-signed this coach….now need to reverse justify it..”)
I don’t like the club treating supporters and members like idiots
Don’t cone out telling our window is open then suggesting it’s actually “this year” it’s open then tell us the list is no good when we hit good sides, our structure falls apart and the coach has run out of ideas
I’m sorry I just like the truth
Didn’t someone once say “the truth will set you free.. “
I’m sorry ..I’ll leave the poetry to you

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 8:35am
Teflon wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 12:05am Here’s a great view from BF spelling out how the club must think supporters are stupid…

Amazing how fast the narrative for 2022 has changed from “why not us?” to “we’ve never had the cattle to contend.”

Goalposts continually shifting.

The club just think we are idiots that will swallow anything at this point, honestly.
Yeah I read that post on BF and that particular poster buys his nappies in bulk. Just hysterical ramblings is all that is.
Clearly SS posters prefer the washable nappies…
Shyte…Rinse …repeat ideas

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Only if you enjoy being a sheep and gobblibg down the Shyte sandwiches being fed to us by the clubs last few efforts..
Clearly some masochists among the saints community…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 6:05pm
Well it does have Ratten in the title 8-) :wink:
Gold :D

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 10:40pm
Devilhead wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 6:05pm
Well it does have Ratten in the title 8-) :wink:
Gold :D
We're you asking for Ratte to be sacked when we were 8 and 3 ?

It's funny how 3 losses has has given you such great insight.

You probably were when I think about your MO.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 10:32pm
Teflon, do you think it's really fair to have a crack at our club for coming out with positive comments about the team's prospects at the start of a new season, they're hardly going to predict another poor year coming up. And for the first 11 rounds the players obviously believed in their mantra "why not us??".

Furthermore, wouldn't you agree it's fair to say that the team has punched above its weight to be sitting in 4th spot and 8-3 at the halfway mark, given the paucity of elite players on the list.

Doesn't this therefore reflect positively on Ratten's coaching, or is it a case of JFK's famous quote: "victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" ?

Allow me to digress but this reminds me of another famous paraphrased quote that I have long felt is a really appropriate mantra for St Kilda supporters, it's by the late Swiss-American psychiatrist Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, renowned for her work on death and dying and an appropriate Patron Saint:

"The most beautiful people are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of those depths."
Now….list no good…we’ve overachieved (code for:”we’ve already re-signed this coach….now need to reverse justify it..”)
Don’t cone out telling our window is open then suggesting it’s actually “this year” it’s open then tell us the list is no good when we hit good sides, our structure falls apart and the coach has run out of ideas
Why did didn't you respond to the points I queried with you Teflon? Exactly what lies has the club told its supporters? Was it not true that the coach had put it as a mantra to the players in the off-season: "why not us?" How do you know that the club "already re-signed Brett Ratten beyond 2022? As far as I know that has only ever been media speculation and we all know how much they love to launch a balloon to see if it'll fly.

If I have learned anything in my long life following the (mis)fortunes of my favourite footy team it is that there is no joy whatsoever in constant negativity, focussing on the dark side, emotions that can easily lead to depression. My advice to you and your fellow travellers is to reserve raising your blood pressure for when St Kilda is playing well and on track to play finals, rather than when the team is down and the news is bad. It's probably a sad admission but I get far more excitable when the Saints are in contention than when we lose - it elevates my pulse rate and probably my blood pressure as well.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Go West?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Hello Teffers...are you there?

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 01 Jul 2022 11:55pm Hello Teffers...are you there?
Tis a fair question.

In my experience Teffers is a good - and not stupid - man.

But, gee, why is it so few get the fundamental problems, and resort to simplifying those problems as if there's an easy fix?

That was a damn good win, well thought out, and executed a treat.

Credit due.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:53am
Tis a fair question.

But, gee, why is it so few get the fundamental problems, and resort to simplifying those problems as if there's an easy fix?

Credit due.
He's just trying to help :mrgreen:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Oh I’m here and I knew you’d shoot your bolt after 1 win
A win that didn’t surprise me btw - 3 pathetic performances (1 against a club that has won 2 games) the club had to respond (blowtorch was on) and did.
Do I automatically think that set up is top 4 challenger or do I think we’ll even make top 8?
I don’t - love to be wrong but im a realist who doesn’t change opinions with 1 backs to the wall win
But anyway, 1 win against a side that kicked 18 points missing their entire backline and you’re off to the races ??
Whatever floats your boat I guess…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:53am
Tis a fair question.

Credit due.
Why is it that 1 backs to the wall win and all our problems are solved??
Sorry but whose simplistic here???
That was a great effort - but effort alone won’t bring this side a flag
I was at the game , I saw a great effort by our team I also saw a forward line and entry into it that didn’t look anywhere near as efficient as Carlton’s
Those problems haven’t gone away cause Membrey got off the lead cause King dragged the crowd away??
Curnow kicked 1.4????
They were missing their entire backline???
Let’s just keep it real - great effort by the club
But the problems in our game plan are still there
But you knew all that cause “you get the fundamentals” we all miss :D

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 9:30am
A win that didn’t surprise me btw - 3 pathetic performances (1 against a club that has won 2 games) the club had to respond (blowtorch was on) and did.
Do I automatically think that set up is top 4 challenger or do I think we’ll even make top 8?
I don’t - love to be wrong but im a realist who doesn’t change opinions with 1 backs to the wall win
But anyway, 1 win against a side that kicked 18 points missing their entire backline and you’re off to the races ??
Oh Teffers man I'm feeling for you today brother, I thought you'd be hurting after a gutsy win like that. Try not to get too down on the boys though, you know they'll work their way through this bad victory and find losing form again and then you can return strongly with your coach sacking theories.

Just hang in there buddy and try not to be a stranger in the mean time.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 9:48am
Oh Teffers man I'm feeling for you today brother, I thought you'd be hurting after a gutsy win like that. Try not to get too down on the boys though, you know they'll work their way through this bad victory and find losing form again and then you can return strongly with your coach sacking theories.

Let’s hope they do Vort
And you make sure you have a ready supply of Kleenex on hand next time we win a quarter of footy or something as you’ll need to contain that excitement :D
Must’ve been a quick wedding night!!
I think the difference was no Sharman who should be delisted today !

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 9:51am

Let’s hope they do Vort
And you make sure you have a ready supply of Kleenex on hand next time we win a quarter of footy or something as you’ll need to contain that excitement :D
Teffers maaaaate, you are letting your emotions blind your good judgment and reasoning again, it would be silly to delist Sharman as he could end up being a vital part of the forward line down the track, everyone knows that, he just didn't play last night because he wasn't worthy of an AFL game this week.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 10:00am

Let’s hope they do Vort
Teffers maaaaate, you are letting your emotions blind your good judgment and reasoning again, it would be silly to delist Sharman as he could end up being a vital part of the forward line down the track, everyone knows that, he just didn't play last night because he wasn't worthy of an AFL game this week.
Worthy? LMAO
Dropped after 1 game where the team kicks 2 goals in a half??
I think your emotions and bizarre dislike for the kid (did he run over your cat??) are clouding any semblance of judgment (I reserve the right to retract that) you might have
But anyway, you’ve had a win!
Ratts is now Clarko so we are off to the GF..
Giddy up!!

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 10:06am

Let’s hope they do Vort
Worthy? LMAO
I think your emotions and bizarre dislike for the kid (did he run over your cat??) are clouding any semblance of judgment (I reserve the right to retract that) you might have
Giddy up!!
Teffers clearly you are emotional today, now I wish the boys didn't have a gutsy win just so you weren't so destraught.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Spelling Vortex

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Like all great debates, IMO the answer is somewhere in the middle.

I didn’t think Ratten should have been re-signed before the break, nor do I think he should have been sacked 2-3 games after the bye.

In scenarios like this, the correct answer is usually to let the results dictate the decision rather than interpretations of what will happen guide the way.

Ratten deserved every bit of criticism he got for those insipid performances… especially the one against Essendon. His performance wasn’t good and the team played at a standard far below what is acceptable.

Likewise, last nights win was incredible and all the things Vortex has said it was. No question.

There’s reason to say where’s this been whilst also saying we could be good enough to push deep into the finals.

I’m not ready to put a line through Ratten as there is a lot to like about what he’s doing but heck, not even for a second would I suggest that he couldn’t doing a lot lot better

The time now IMO is for cooler heads and let the facts determine decision making.

Let’s see how the season plays out and what his plan is to move forward

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 01 Jul 2022 2:57pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 10:32pm

Why did didn't you respond to the points I queried with you Teflon? Exactly what lies has the club told its supporters? Was it not true that the coach had put it as a mantra to the players in the off-season: "why not us?" How do you know that the club "already re-signed Brett Ratten beyond 2022? As far as I know that has only ever been media speculation and we all know how much they love to launch a balloon to see if it'll fly.

If I have learned anything in my long life following the (mis)fortunes of my favourite footy team it is that there is no joy whatsoever in constant negativity, focussing on the dark side, emotions that can easily lead to depression. My advice to you and your fellow travellers is to reserve raising your blood pressure for when St Kilda is playing well and on track to play finals, rather than when the team is down and the news is bad. It's probably a sad admission but I get far more excitable when the Saints are in contention than when we lose - it elevates my pulse rate and probably my blood pressure as well.....
The clubs messaging about our “window” has been confusing and I don’t think the prez letter helped to be honest
Explaining away a bad 21 season by “window not open till next year” and now we are in next year and suggesting “list isn’t there we’ve over performed” smacks of re-writing expectations to suit your agenda to me. If you like that - good for you. I think at best it’s disingenuous to supporters and at worst lies.
On your “other points”
I don’t accept the all of a sudden “paucity” of the list - I think you’re making excuses and letting them off the hook for the 3 previous, disgraceful performances
I think this list, while not perfect, is better than what Richardson had and certainly better than 2 goals in a half if football
Do you think this list is a 2 goal in a half a game list? Or not good enough to beat a lowly Essendon who had 2 wins for the year and lost to West Coast 1 week later????
I appreciate your glass half full vibe and thank you for your professional therapeutic advice on how to stay “happy”
I stay happy with some facts and truths
I stay happy when I know I’m not being BS corporate lines
There’s a big difference between glass half full/optimist and delusional….or maybe that’s really a fine line…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 10:12am
Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 10:06am

Let’s hope they do Vort
Worthy? LMAO
Giddy up!!
Teffers clearly you are emotional today, now I wish the boys didn't have a gutsy win just so you weren't so destraught.
It’s “distraught” Vort
And I appreciate your rather lame jibes
We’ll see who is curled up in a foetal position on the floor in all sorts when Sharman comes back in..

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend