IF The Board Re-sign Ratten They Should Go

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Re: IF The Board Re-sign Ratten They Should Go

Scollop wrote: Mon 27 Jun 2022 3:48am
suss wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 12:31pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 10:42pm The CEO and Simon Lethlean have handed Ratts a bunch of moneyball imports. This is the hand he’s been dealt
I agree with this but also add that I don't think Lethlean and his team had much of a choice. The problem with our list goes back to Trout and friends who ran it into the ground.

We had to do some moneyball trading to get competitive again and I think some of those trades / FA picks have been wins (e.g. Howard, Ryder, Higgins, Crouch), while others have not (e.g. Jones). Others are somewhere in between - e.g. Hill and Butler (though Butler is looking worse as time goes on).

I have no problem with the current coaching and list strategy, but it's going to take an eternity to correct the woeful drafting and recruitment of that earlier era.

We need to keep turning the list over, bringing in elite kids through the draft, while making better / more selective trading choices. It will take time.
Just to clarify. I agree you need to 'bring in elite kids through the draft.' Let's have some faith in our current development staff and our coaches at Sandy

...but I don't agree that we need to keep looking for players who are on the fringe with other teams or delisted free agents that other teams are discarding. The Higgins trade was done recently.

Was there a desperate need to replace Lonie or were we thinking Higgins was going to play in the midfield?

Why did we need another small forward after we'd already recruited Butler and we had Gresh, JB, Long and Kent, with Lonie still on the list and other draftees able to competently play in the forward line ( Mich Owens being the most recent example when he played the role of small forward ). Hill and others have also competently played in the forward line

'Butler and we had Gresh, JB, Long and Kent, Lonie....they were all sh1te and still are....yes, I included the glory boys everyone wants them to be Brownlow lads but can't get it right two games straight...Gresham & JB are never going to be A grade. Their choice not mine. I wanted every Saint to excel but choices, their body, bad luck....whatever...it's not happening. We NEED a Milne....gotta have him. Higgins was an option for cheap. The two brain surgeries set him back & his comeback over last year and this has been a rollercoaster of awesome then raining turds.

Trade ins are as risky as drafts....some are insane value...e.g. Steele whilst others not so much.

You gotta try, every club has to try.

It boils down to culture. I have said it a million times ....Costa brought in Character First program ( yep it's a Christian based Diddy) I'm not saying it's the way....but he did it. He lived and choked it down the throats of the board, then management, then coaches....and Thompson really struggled to accept it ( for obvious reasons). He did it. He preached it. It worked even though he privately struggled. Chris grabbed it and ran....he smashed it in the gob of every player in 2010 and it still keeps the club on the straight.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

What's a Christian based Diddy? What's a Diddy at all? Serious q. I have no clue what this post is advocating.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Weren’t we all lauding the recruiting staff and Ratten in 2020

For the ‘money ball’ recruits?

How things change

SunnyErnie
Club Player

I agree wholeheartedly, if Ratts is given a new contract then the entire board, Satan and Gags should resign.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnie wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 5:05pm I agree wholeheartedly, if Ratts is given a new contract then the entire board, Satan and Gags should resign.
Will you go when they re-sign Ratten and don't resign?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!

Wow, we have two losses and we want to strip the place bare and start again?

Honestly, you people. If your partner failed to cook you a tasty meal two nights in a row you would kick them out, destroy all the pots and pans and burn down the kitchen

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

It's been interesting how some supporters have crapped their pants in the past few weeks. I know losing doesn't help but crickey all sorts of wierd calls oozing out of the internet, mostly made up hysterical outbursts.

We need more vallium, or weed for those that prefer natures way.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

both are good
betterer at the same time

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Brunswicksainter
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 6:04pm The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!

Honestly, you people. If your partner failed to cook you a tasty meal two nights in a row you would kick them out, destroy all the pots and pans and burn down the kitchen
Mate we’ve been terrible for 10 years

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We’ve had 6 losses

3 in a row recently

Beat by Essendon who were beaten the following week by West Coast

Kicked 2 goals in 110 minutes of Footy vs Sydney

Sky isn’t falling - but following StK still sucks balls!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

It happened
She’s out
New one awesome cooking skills - clear game plan around veggies and meat/wine selection
None of this “choose your own adventure” at dinner time
Gotta move with the times!

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Interesting take on our list from others on BF…
When you look back…Ratten has more to work with than you think

Thats bulls***, we are a decent coaching set up short. People think we still have Richo's list which was Steven and Seb out the guts, Newnes and Billings off a wing and Bruce and Membrey with Lonie and Gresh at their feet. Carlisle and Brown down back with Savage off HB. That was a very ordinary list.

Carlton have Cripps, Walsh and Cerra with some extras like Kennedy that go through there. We have Steele, Ross, Crouch and Gresham and Jones. To me Cripps is an absolute star but then we even out and probably not far off in comparison. It's certainly isn't a crippling difference that explains what the difference is.

Forward Curnow and McKay are stars then a few okay smalls. We have King Membrey and Snags who are all high scorers.

Their whole backline has been decimated. Ours is our best line.

Anyone that excuses this list as not being up to a top 4 side just lets them off the hook like we've don for 150 years.

To me in a year with hardly any standout teams Ratts coaching set up has massively failed. I think we finish 9th to 14th most likely after sitting comfortably top 4. Ratts has got about 6 months to turn this around or he won't see out the first year of his extension.

“Yeah….nah””
SunnyErnie
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 5:15pm
SunnyErnie wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 5:05pm I agree wholeheartedly, if Ratts is given a new contract then the entire board, Satan and Gags should resign.
Will you go when they re-sign Ratten and don't resign?
Why should I?

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 6:49pm both are good
betterer at the same time
I'm loading up before Friday nights game, then if we lose by a big margin I'll be like how nice are our players and isn't that coach of ours a lovely man.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 7:33pm Interesting take on our list from others on BF…

Thats bulls***, we are a decent coaching set up short. People think we still have Richo's list which was Steven and Seb out the guts, Newnes and Billings off a wing and Bruce and Membrey with Lonie and Gresh at their feet. Carlisle and Brown down back with Savage off HB. That was a very ordinary list.

Carlton have Cripps, Walsh and Cerra with some extras like Kennedy that go through there. We have Steele, Ross, Crouch and Gresham and Jones. To me Cripps is an absolute star but then we even out and probably not far off in comparison. It's certainly isn't a crippling difference that explains what the difference is.

Forward Curnow and McKay are stars then a few okay smalls. We have King Membrey and Snags who are all high scorers.

Anyone that excuses this list as not being up to a top 4 side just lets them off the hook like we've don for 150 years.

To me in a year with hardly any standout teams Ratts coaching set up has massively failed. I think we finish 9th to 14th most likely after sitting comfortably top 4. Ratts has got about 6 months to turn this around or he won't see out the first year of his extension.
Crickey BF is a really wierd place at tbe moment, it's like everyone is wearing nappies and crawling around calling out for Mumma. Hard to find objective types but hysteria rains supreme.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

It's not about losing it's about how we lost. Do you honestly think the players have been switched on & have given 100% in the last 3 weeks ? We are not the most talented team so we rely on work rate & opportunism to create scoring opportunity's but that has been a rare event in the last few games . Sloppy, unaccountable , lazy footfall 2 weeks in a row & 1 against a team that had only won 2 games for the year & had the worst defensive stats in the comp but some how owned us on our dung heap(ok theirs too) but only scoring 4 goals in 4 quarters of football 2 coming in junk time in the last quarter the following week is just unacceptable for a team vying for finals spot . Maybe I expect too much :?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 10:39pm

It's not about losing it's about how we lost. Do you honestly think the players have been switched on & have given 100% in the last 3 weeks ? We are not the most talented team so we rely on work rate & opportunism to create scoring opportunity's but that has been a rare event in the last few games . Sloppy, unaccountable , lazy footfall 2 weeks in a row & 1 against a team that had only won 2 games for the year & had the worst defensive stats in the comp but some how owned us on our dung heap(ok theirs too) but only scoring 4 goals in 4 quarters of football 2 coming in junk time in the last quarter the following week is just unacceptable for a team vying for finals spot . Maybe I expect too much :?
It is a shocking collapse and we could have easily lost Brissy and Essendon games by much more.

I actually think Carlton could be a dnager game for us.

A danger of winning.

I just hope the selectors don't go nuts after we lose to the Blues...I still think we can turn it around and beat the Bulldogs etc., as long as we have our very best team on teh park and no dramas.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 9:28pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 7:33pm Interesting take on our list from others on BF…

Crickey BF is a really wierd place at tbe moment, it's like everyone is wearing nappies and crawling around calling out for Mumma. Hard to find objective types but hysteria rains supreme.
I like the independent views - people actually have an opinion its not “let’s all just believe everything the club spews out “ or “we can’t criticise the club”
There’s good variety of opinions
There’s also some who know their footy on there that also know we are in deep Shyte and call it out
Each to their own I guess

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 10:46pm
bangaulegend wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022 10:39pm

It is a shocking collapse and we could have easily lost Brissy and Essendon games by much more.

I actually think Carlton could be a dnager game for us.

A danger of winning.

I just hope the selectors don't go nuts after we lose to the Blues...I still think we can turn it around and beat the Bulldogs etc., as long as we have our very best team on teh park and no dramas.
No question we got lucky through some opponents inaccurate goal kicking helped us
What has astounded me is the fall off a cliff appears to be affecting the entire team - every player????
That tells me something is wrong with the system abd why I question Ratten

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Here’s a great view from BF spelling out how the club must think supporters are stupid…

Amazing how fast the narrative for 2022 has changed from “why not us?” to “we’ve never had the cattle to contend.”

Goalposts continually shifting.

The club just think we are idiots that will swallow anything at this point, honestly.

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 12:05am Here’s a great view from BF spelling out how the club must think supporters are stupid…

Amazing how fast the narrative for 2022 has changed from “why not us?” to “we’ve never had the cattle to contend.”

The club just think we are idiots that will swallow anything at this point, honestly.
Yeah I read that post on BF and that particular poster buys his nappies in bulk. Just hysterical ramblings is all that is.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 12:05am Here’s a great view from BF spelling out how the club must think supporters are stupid…

Teflon, do you think it's really fair to have a crack at our club for coming out with positive comments about the team's prospects at the start of a new season, they're hardly going to predict another poor year coming up. And for the first 11 rounds the players obviously believed in their mantra "why not us??".

Furthermore, wouldn't you agree it's fair to say that the team has punched above its weight to be sitting in 4th spot and 8-3 at the halfway mark, given the paucity of elite players on the list.

Doesn't this therefore reflect positively on Ratten's coaching, or is it a case of JFK's famous quote: "victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" ?

Allow me to digress but this reminds me of another famous paraphrased quote that I have long felt is a really appropriate mantra for St Kilda supporters, it's by the late Swiss-American psychiatrist Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, renowned for her work on death and dying and an appropriate Patron Saint:

"The most beautiful people are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of those depths."

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Is this a joke thread?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 5:33pm Is this a joke thread?
Well it does have Ratten in the title 8-) :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Leo.J wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022 5:33pm Is this a joke thread?
Aren’t they all?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.