What is a "Clutch" Goal ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: What is a "Clutch" Goal ?

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:51pm Let's just clear something up here.

Nobody is saying Sharman ia Wayne Carey or whatever.

Just that given the set up currently, he might be useful, or better than the other option, King plus out of form smalls.

So let's leave out the cheap shots and get real.

Thanks very much..

Nice try.

Making up these scandal threads as if you are surprised! ppffff..
True Shane and I think most would agree
Vortex just having a “look at me” moment while he sinks the boots in to Sharman 7 games in
He doesn’t believe the drivel he sprouting but it gets him Internet forum attention so what the hell !!
Another “clutch” post!!

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:57pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 8:37pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 8:31pm It’s in there just read
Nup. Batchelor hasn't even released his weekly assessment?

Sharman didn't even get in the list of best players by the media. I'll be extremely surprised if 7 touches gets you an AFL game.
Batchelor didn’t praise Sharman last week when he kicked 4 fir his chasing and pressure work?
Might pay to have another read….
That was the week before the Zebs played Essendon, he absolutely did praise him the week before, but seeing as though he hasn't released his comments for the game just played I look forward to seeing how he feels about 7 touches.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 11:00pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:51pm Let's just clear something up here.

Just that given the set up currently, he might be useful, or better than the other option, King plus out of form smalls.

Thanks very much..

Nice try.

Vortex just having a “look at me” moment while he sinks the boots in to Sharman 7 games in
He doesn’t believe the drivel he sprouting but it gets him Internet forum attention so what the hell !!
Another “clutch” post!!
Clearly running out of persuasive arguments, I'm looking forward to Batchelors comments coming out this week, what about you?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 9:33am I keep reading on the forums Sharman should be in our best 22 because he bobs up for a "clutch" goal and whilst I know this claim might have grown legs just because of how the internet works, it piqued my curiosity so I Googled the question, "what is a clutch goal", this is what I found:

" Clutch performance in sports is the phenomenon of athletes under pressure or "in the clutch",[1] usually in the last minute of a game, to summon strength, concentration and whatever else necessary to succeed, to perform well, and perhaps change the outcome of the game. It occurs in basketball, hockey, football, esports, and other sports but the phrase is most common in baseball (e.g. clutch hitter). The opposite is "choking": failing to perform as needed, especially when not under pressure or favoured to win. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_(sports)

The claim Sharman bobs up for a "clutch" goal is being repeated in a way that suggests it happens with frequent regularity like it is the most reliable club in the bag.

He's played 7 game total and only 3 this year however I can't think of a "clutch" goal he's kicked using the Google definition, someone help me out, what "clutch" goals has Sharman kicked?
He dpesn't choke when he needs to kick an important goal to swing momentum.
He kicked a goal against Geelong when the game was in the balance. His goal swung the game our way.
He kicked an important goal in the last quarter against Adelaide which gave us momentum and got us going.
He kicked a goal against North which killed the game as a contest.

And we was a very good mark and set shot late last season when he came into the side. Ripping player.

I think when Sharman is in the side we have a far more dangerous forward line because at the moment it is Max or bust as Membrey spends a lot of time further up the field. He can play a decoy role so that Max isn't playing with three defenders on him all the time.

Next year might be different when Hayes returns, but then again, maybe it won't be. Wait and see, but I think Sharman has a lot of upside - he has kicked 7 goals in the past two weeks in the magoos so he is worth persevering with in the seniors in my opinion.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Mon 20 Jun 2022 11:38pm, edited 3 times in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 11:03pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 10:57pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 8:37pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 8:31pm It’s in there just read
Nup. Batchelor hasn't even released his weekly assessment?

Sharman didn't even get in the list of best players by the media. I'll be extremely surprised if 7 touches gets you an AFL game.
Batchelor didn’t praise Sharman last week when he kicked 4 fir his chasing and pressure work?
Might pay to have another read….
That was the week before the Zebs played Essendon, he absolutely did praise him the week before, but seeing as though he hasn't released his comments for the game just played I look forward to seeing how he feels about 7 touches.
I’m aware the comments were 7 days earlier - I could care less point stands club clearly happy with his efforts in this area in recent times (last 2 games pretty recent)
And yep he kicked 3 from limited touches on the weekend - but we don’t know what the instructions from coaches were to say he isn’t doing his job??
Perhaps you can tell us Nostradamus??

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 11:07pm

Thanks very much..

Nice try.

Another “clutch” post!!
Clearly running out of persuasive arguments, I'm looking forward to Batchelors comments coming out this week, what about you?
I’m looking forward to Sharman playing a regular block of games at AFL level and if he does ok you changing your Nic on here out of embarrassment for cancelling a player 7 games into his career
I’ve seen some Shyte calls in here over a number of years but yours is up there

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 11:24pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Jun 2022 9:33am I keep reading on the forums Sharman should be in our best 22 because he bobs up for a "clutch" goal and whilst I know this claim might have grown legs just because of how the internet works, it piqued my curiosity so I Googled the question, "what is a clutch goal", this is what I found:

" Clutch performance in sports is the phenomenon of athletes under pressure or "in the clutch",[1] usually in the last minute of a game, to summon strength, concentration and whatever else necessary to succeed, to perform well, and perhaps change the outcome of the game. It occurs in basketball, hockey, football, esports, and other sports but the phrase is most common in baseball (e.g. clutch hitter). The opposite is "choking": failing to perform as needed, especially when not under pressure or favoured to win. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_(sports)

The claim Sharman bobs up for a "clutch" goal is being repeated in a way that suggests it happens with frequent regularity like it is the most reliable club in the bag.

He's played 7 game total and only 3 this year however I can't think of a "clutch" goal he's kicked using the Google definition, someone help me out, what "clutch" goals has Sharman kicked?
He dpesn't choke when he needs to kick an important goal to swing momentum.
He kicked a goal against Geelong when the game was in the balance. His goal swung the game our way.
He kicked an important goal in the last quarter against Adelaide which gave us momentum and got us going.
He kicked a goal against North which took the breath out of their sails and stopped their challenge in their tracks.

And we was a very good mark and set shot late last season when he came into the side.

We have seen in the past two weeks players with set shots to put us in front in games and they failed to do so. I won't pot or name a Saints player on an internet site but they were both gettable goals by different players.

I think when Sharman is in the side we have a far more dangerous forward line because at the moment it is Max or bust as Membrey spends a lot of time further up the field. He can play a decoy role so that Max isn't playing with three defenders on him all the time.

Next year might be different when Hayes returns, but then again, maybe it won't be. Wait and see, but I think Sharman has a lot of upside - he has kicked 7 goals in the past two weeks in the magoos so he is worth perservering with in the seniors in my opinion.
Bang on!
Great post
Vortex knows this he’s just dug a hole so needs to back it up and keep potting the kid…anyhoo
Back to bigger things!!
I hope for our sake Sharman comes on - to me it’s less about Sharman kicking bags or getting 30 and more about what it might mean for our forward structure
As you rightly say - we are King or bust right and that has to change
Membrey as no 2 can’t attract a defender with him and has been poor - I do t care if he goes back late in qtrs his job is as a forward abd he’s not a no 2 IMO
I hope a Sharman playing frees him up to and again we be one more unpredictable
Long has to stay forward for pressure and sadly I think Gresham may have to spend more time there than mid to help also (sad cause he was trying as a mid)

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 11:33pm

Thanks very much..

Nice try.

Another “clutch” post!!
I’m looking forward to Sharman playing a regular block of games at AFL level and if he does ok you changing your Nic on here out of embarrassment for cancelling a player 7 games into his career
You get too hysterical Teffers when it comes to the defence of a 7 gamer who got 7 touches on the weekend and 3 cheap goals, insisting a player as poor as Sharman play at the elite level is without doubt the definition of a shyte call.

Let's hope he can develop way beyond his current standard and become the extra tall desperate need but right at the moment he is incredibly way of the pace.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 9:37am

Thanks very much..

Nice try.

Another “clutch” post!!
You get too hysterical Teffers when it comes to the defence of a 7 gamer who got 7 touches on the weekend and 3 cheap goals, insisting a player as poor as Sharman play at the elite level is without doubt the definition of a shyte call.

Let's hope he can develop way beyond his current standard and become the extra tall desperate need but right at the moment he is incredibly way of the pace.
He must be a certainty for selection this week then.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 9:50am
Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 9:37am

Thanks very much..

Nice try.

Another “clutch” post!!

He must be a certainty for selection this week then.
He's a dead set certainty. 7 touches.

SaintJohno
Club Player

7 touches, 3 goals, I'll take it. How many did Butler get last week?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohno wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 10:21am 7 touches, 3 goals, I'll take it. How many did Butler get last week?
He didn't get any at AFL level, but he got 5 at the VFL level the week before.

If VFL goals float your boat then that's personal preference.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet. But after 9 games both King and Sharman have/had kicked 13 goals.

SaintJohno
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 10:32am
SaintJohno wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 10:21am 7 touches, 3 goals, I'll take it. How many did Butler get last week?

Averaging 1.4 career goals which are afl goals, Butler on 0.6 for the year. Interestingly Max also seems to get more goals when he's in. Not saying Sharman is the answer to our woes by any stretch, but Butler doesn't seem to be, so maybe a few games in a row might be worth it.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohno wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 12:12pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 10:32am

Averaging 1.4 career goals which are afl goals, Butler on 0.6 for the year. Interestingly Max also seems to get more goals when he's in. Not saying Sharman is the answer to our woes by any stretch, but Butler doesn't seem to be, so maybe a few games in a row might be worth it.
He was given 3 games in a row and he got worse each game, and 2 of those games were against the 2 clubs fighting for the wooden spoon. He went at 0.8 goals per game in that stretch of 3 games.

Buttler is getting a game because our list is lacking significant depth of proven AFL performers and so the choices are almost zero for alternatives. It's then a question of how many kids can you pick to do their apprenticeship in one side. Ratts isn't in charge of North Melbourne, he's got to pick sides he thinks can win games.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 20 Jun 2022 8:08pm]

Uncontested marks and Goal kicking are his strengths for sure, I'm pretty good down at the local park also.

Running, chasing, tackling I'm not so good at but I think I have Coops covered at the moment.

That's what the VFL is good for, it's good for practising the basic stuff and after only 7 touches and not much chasing and tackling I'd say he's a snow flakes chance of getting selected any time soon while one of our forward lines biggest issue is locking it in F50.
Here’s a few of his uncontested marks.
I’ll look forward to the video of you at the park.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 1:16pm

Uncontested marks and Goal kicking are his strengths for sure, I'm pretty good down at the local park also.

Running, chasing, tackling I'm not so good at but I think I have Coops covered at the moment.

That's what the VFL is good for, it's good for practising the basic stuff and after only 7 touches and not much chasing and tackling I'd say he's a snow flakes chance of getting selected any time soon while one of our forward lines biggest issue is locking it in F50.

Should he get picked this week after 7 touches in the VFL?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

On that logic Vortex you'd obviously want jack Higgins dropped

Lowest possession count of any Saint. 2 soft goals and zero tackles for the whole game

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 3:34pm On that logic Vortex you'd obviously want jack Higgins dropped

Lowest possession count of any Saint. 2 soft goals and zero tackles for the whole game
You keep making incorrect assumptions on my behalf.

Higgins like 20 other players were absolutely woeful against the Dees. Context of where the list is at AND where we are placed on the ladder at the half way mark, and if I'm Ratts I'd be making absolute minimal changes this week, Steele and DMac.

What I wouldn't be doing this week is bringing in another skinny kid who got 7 touches at VFL level. Just would make us even weaker in our weakest part of the ground. He has to earn his call up.

We can start playing all the kids in about 4 weeks time if we are out of finals contention.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 3:53pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 3:34pm On that logic Vortex you'd obviously want jack Higgins dropped

Higgins like 20 other players were absolutely woeful against the Dees. Context of where the list is at AND where we are placed on the ladder at the half way mark, and if I'm Ratts I'd be making absolute minimal changes this week, Steele and DMac.

What I wouldn't be doing this week is bringing in another skinny kid who got 7 touches at VFL level. Just would make us even weaker in our weakest part of the ground. He has to earn his call up.

We can start playing all the kids in about 4 weeks time if we are out of finals contention.
What the fk are you on about? We got smashed by 10 skinny kids that play for the Essendon FC seniors on the weekend

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 4:04pm

What the fk are you on about? We got smashed by 10 skinny kids that play for the Essendon FC seniors on the weekend
Turn the sound up and see if that helps

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 4:25pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 4:04pm

Turn the sound up and see if that helps
You might like Brian to tell you how to think or maybe you have a fetish for Bruce or Dwain Pipe or Darcehole, but most of us like to watch the footy for the sport of aussie rules rather than listening to wankers with massive egos and all the theatre

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 3:29pm

I would play him after his seven goals in the last 2 games.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 5:23pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 3:29pm

I would play him after his seven goals in the last 2 games.
You've got shares in him though, Buttler proved goals at VFL level is easy -- it's what he's doing when he's not lining up for goal that might be the issue.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022 12:03pm Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet. But after 9 games both King and Sharman have/had kicked 13 goals.
2 of those games Sharman was Medical sub and didn't get on

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!