Dedicated AFLW Forum

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dedicated AFLW Forum

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes: 37

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dedicated AFLW Forum

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 10 Jun 2022 8:39pm
Devilhead wrote: Fri 10 Jun 2022 7:31pm Just do a Saints AFLW sticky in the Main Forum

And do a General AFL Discussion sticky for other opposition and general footy talk 8-)

There is a sticky for General AFL discussion. There’s been one post since the season started.
8-)

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
realdeal
Club Player

freely wrote: Fri 10 Jun 2022 8:10pm
The Fireman wrote: Fri 10 Jun 2022 7:08pm
SaintJohno wrote: Fri 10 Jun 2022 7:03pm It would just get lost in it's own forum, I'd rather see info here than have to switch forums completely. I was happy with the idea of putting AFLW in the post title for those so against reading that information.
Me too 👍
Fair enough - but if a thread has "Rhi Watt" in the subject line, what do you think it's going to be about?
Who's Rhi Watt?

realdeal
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 10:22am If you put gender to one side and just debate AFLW as a product on its own capable of generating a sustainable market and revenue, it is also going to struggle significantly and will only survive with financial support from the men's game. If you grew up on AFLM, you probably aren't attracted to AFLW as they are completely different products. The woman and girls I watch AFLM with can't be bothered watching AFLW due to the stark contrast. It's just a preference thing.

I wonder how much the brains trust thought they would attract woman to the game who grew up on AFLM just because they were woman. From my anecdotal observations I don't see many woman switching products at this stage.

Boy we have a problem with with crowds at the AFLM and we are talking about a 19th team so I feel sorry for the poor buggers who are tasked with the responsibility of the growing AFLW.
Its called AFLW and AFL not AFLM.

minneapolis
Club Player

I wanna talk about footy. Anything related to Saints. Men, Women, Past Players, Umps, oppo, scores, statistics, grounds, media, fun facts, the draft, history, Brownlow, trades, overseas, the future, the past ,the present and a Dad Joke or two.

The current set up is just fine thanks.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Devilhead wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 11:28am
Devilhead wrote: Fri 10 Jun 2022 7:31pm Just do a Saints AFLW sticky in the Main Forum

And do a General AFL Discussion sticky for other opposition and general footy talk 8-)

There is a sticky for General AFL discussion. There’s been one post since the season started.
8-)
Human nature, mobile phones that remember the last session and reduced forum real-estate displayed, who knows. How many people even scroll to the second thread page?

Seeya
diddley
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 10:22am If you put gender to one side and just debate AFLW as a product on its own capable of generating a sustainable market and revenue, it is also going to struggle significantly and will only survive with financial support from the men's game. If you grew up on AFLM, you probably aren't attracted to AFLW as they are completely different products. The woman and girls I watch AFLM with can't be bothered watching AFLW due to the stark contrast. It's just a preference thing.

I wonder how much the brains trust thought they would attract woman to the game who grew up on AFLM just because they were woman. From my anecdotal observations I don't see many woman switching products at this stage.

Boy we have a problem with with crowds at the AFLM and we are talking about a 19th team so I feel sorry for the poor buggers who are tasked with the responsibility of the growing AFLW.
What a lot of current AFL supporters sometimes don’t realise is that there are plenty of people being introduced to the game, that haven’t wanted to follow in the past, or have left the game, not just people wanting to watch both.
My wife in particular prefers going to Moorabbin to watch the AFLW, than seeing the men at Marvel. But then her liking the women's game has lead to wanting to be more involved with the men’s.
It’s the same reason most businesses diversify. Rarely a business only sells 1 product. And quite often, the rising tide lifts all ships. It’s not about switching, or choosing sides, but gaining more unique “customers”. Quite often new “products” take a while to come around in a market place, but the backing on the larger business we help this grow in time, and hopefully be self sustaining.
And all the business stuff aside, the joy the women get by playing at all levels, is something they have not had the opportunity to have in the past. Why not give them the same opportunities the men have had for so long.

diddley
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 1:17pm
Devilhead wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 11:28am

8-)
Human nature, mobile phones that remember the last session and reduced forum real-estate displayed, who knows. How many people even scroll to the second thread page?
There’s a second page?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 11:35am

Its called AFLW and AFL not AFLM.
My apologies, I thought the 'M' was needed for clarification.

On a side note, I actually think the SS community needs to think about the more pressing issue of generating more members for the forum rather than creating an extra forum.
The board has been in steady decline since around 2014 and you only have to visit Big Footy to get a feel for how large the number is of SS members who have abandoned the site since the coup by Simon back in 2014.

This board desperately needs new blood, it now has such a narrow bandwidth of contributors supported by a moderation style that doesn't invite diversity and/or freedom to express views outside the views of a small coagulation of contributors.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 10:36am
SaintJohno wrote: Fri 10 Jun 2022 7:03pm It would just get lost in it's own forum, I'd rather see info here than have to switch forums completely. I was happy with the idea of putting AFLW in the post title for those so against reading that information.
I would be happy to put AFLW in subject line

Funny thing is (as the original op on Rhi Watt) though I would have thought that a Saints supporter would know who Rhi Watt was regardless of if they followed AFLW or not
I didn't and I only clicked on that thread because I thought Rhi Watt was a spelling mistake by a drunk poster or something to that effect however once I realised it was about the women's comp I was out of there. That is not sexist in anyway on my part, I'm all for the woman's comp on the basis of my support of equity and diversity for all human kind, but on the basis of what floats my boat in sport, I couldn't care a less about the woman's comp, I think it is incredibly boring to watch on the basis I'm attracted to elite sports competition played by men.

The challenge for the woman's comp is to grow a market that will attract people to watch the game on the basis of, "they just like the product", and on it's own, without comparing to the men's comp. People shouldn't be accused of being sexist just because they haven't chosen their product over another.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 2:01pm
terry smith rules wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 10:36am
I would be happy to put AFLW in subject line

Funny thing is (as the original op on Rhi Watt) though I would have thought that a Saints supporter would know who Rhi Watt was regardless of if they followed AFLW or not
I didn't and I only clicked on that thread because I thought Rhi Watt was a spelling mistake by a drunk poster or something to that effect however once I realised it was about the women's comp I was out of there. That is not sexist in anyway on my part, I'm all for the woman's comp on the basis of my support of equity and diversity for all human kind, but on the basis of what floats my boat in sport, I couldn't care a less about the woman's comp, I think it is incredibly boring to watch on the basis I'm attracted to elite sports competition played by men.

The challenge for the woman's comp is to grow a market that will attract people to watch the game on the basis of, "they just like the product", and on it's own, without comparing to the men's comp. People shouldn't be accused of being sexist just because they haven't chosen their product over another.
same same..had no idea who Rhi was ( never heard the name before...male or female )...actually thought it was some bloke who was going to be cut and thought I'd have a look. Realised it was female footy and I simply wrote "oh women's football" and all hell broke loose :) thought I'd run with it.
oh well looking at the poll it seems the AFLW won't get it's own forum. :(

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 10 Jun 2022 6:15pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 10 Jun 2022 6:06pm to separate it from the "real" game.

Are you saying it’s not a real game dud ???

Very disrespectful
If only you were as familiar with inverted commas as you are gaslighting!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

:D If a lifetime St.Kilda supporter can't watch or discuss AFLW because the standard is below par, they can't really be a St.Kilda supporter.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022 6:37pm :D If a lifetime St.Kilda supporter can't watch or discuss AFLW because the standard is below par, they can't really be a St.Kilda supporter.

You win the internet

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Good point CQ. I know you’ve cleverly given AFLW a whack, but maybe they can’t handle supporting two sides. Been tough enough just following the men all these years.

Maybe Firey and others who voted Yes are just waiting until our girls are successful…

Maybe most of them will jump on the bandwagon once we’re winning flags :wink: