Zak Jones charged, fined

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Zak Jones charged, fined

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Zak Jones charged, fined

upon viewing again by reporting Umpire should have been withdrawn

saint4life
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Oliver should have been fined for taking a dive.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
SaintJohn1956
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 9:26pm Oliver should have been fined for taking a dive.
Exactly!

Saint John
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohn1956 wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 9:35pm
D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 9:26pm Oliver should have been fined for taking a dive.
Exactly!
Yes
And once again highlights what a joke the mrp is .
Jones' raised elbow gets a fine .
A day earlier gws hogan elbows a cats player about to tackle him , proper elbow delivered with force . Mrp says action was not unreasonable and no fine .

If you were shown the two incidences together and asked which one got a fine and who got off pretty sure most people would say jones would get off .
And most people would probably say that Oliver took a dive .

In red white and black from 73
ace
Saintsational Legend

Christian had to fine Jones to protect the reputation of the dumb ar$e umpire who fell for Oliver's staging.
No way Christian could offer a suspension, he would be laughed out of the tribunal.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Banger9798
SS Life Member

And for being one ugly mofo

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The squealing pink pig is absolutely the only one who should have been fined there. Cop a shove to the chest and your head flings back first?

flack
Club Player

In the meantime Steele leaves the field bleeding profusely from a hit to the head, but no-one saw anything.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 11:02pm
SaintJohn1956 wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 9:35pm
Exactly!
Yes
And once again highlights what a joke the mrp is .
Jones' raised elbow gets a fine .
A day earlier gws hogan elbows a cats player about to tackle him , proper elbow delivered with force . Mrp says action was not unreasonable and no fine .

If you were shown the two incidences together and asked which one got a fine and who got off pretty sure most people would say jones would get off .
And most people would probably say that Oliver took a dive .
Tom Hawkins broke Steven May's eye socket with an elbow and it was deemed fair. No case to answer

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/afl-news-2 ... 58aa82cf82

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/i-d ... 57wkd.html

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-vill ... -c-2568030

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

flack wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 9:22am In the meantime Steele leaves the field bleeding profusely from a hit to the head, but no-one saw anything.
It was a good lesson for us. We need to be brutal at contests. Not only were they hungrier for the footy and beat us at stoppage and were cleaner with ball use, but they were more physical than us when it came to winning loose ground balls.

It's ok to elbow your opponent when you're getting tackled (Hawkins and Franklin and others have been doing it for years). We need our players to want to hurt the opposition physically. We need Max King and Rowan Marshall and Ryder to use their knee a lot more when going for marks in the forward line

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

flack wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 9:22am In the meantime Steele leaves the field bleeding profusely from a hit to the head, but no-one saw anything.
Umpire saw it and actually called play on. Basically had his head ripped off.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

"The incident was assessed as intentional conduct, low impact and body contact."

You could mount a case that contact was so low that it didn't meet the criteria for a report.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I have a mate who used to sit on the VFL Tribunal.

He told me he took an instant dislike to Oliver who he described as a real smart arse jerk.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
I think this is what caused the bleeding.

Steele bending over to pick up the ball and Spargo makes front on contact with knee/thigh/hip. Play on!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 1:26pm
CURLY wrote:
I think this is what caused the bleeding.

Steele bending over to pick up the ball and Spargo makes front on contact with knee/thigh/hip. Play on!

Umpire had clear vision and called play on. Why would you ignore that?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Umpire DIDN’T have clear vision.

Note that Spargo is boundary side of the ball and Steele’s head and torso are blind siding the umpire from seeing the point of impact…

In any case, as soon as the collision or the contact occurred there is no reason why the umpire can not call it a free kick to Steele. One of the central umpires we had looked like a newbie. An experienced umpire would know that Steele is not a stager or an actor when it comes to physical contact.

You are just making up stuff by assuming the umpire had clear vision. He made an error imho, and didn’t have a feel for the game and he chose to ignore common sense and ignore his instinct

Stevic was probably not the controlling umpire and you’ll notice that they try not to over rule each other. I think they don’t want to dent the confidence of some of the newbies, so they let a few mistakes go and try and educate them as they get games experience.

longtimesaint
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 11:12am I have a mate who used to sit on the VFL Tribunal.

He told me he took an instant dislike to Oliver who he described as a real smart arse jerk.
He has a very punchable head along with Petracca who I cannot stand.
Together they help to make Melbourne high on my most hated list

One year will be our year
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 2:26pm Umpire DIDN’T have clear vision.

Note that Spargo is boundary side of the ball and Steele’s head and torso are blind siding the umpire from seeing the point of impact…

In any case, as soon as the collision or the contact occurred there is no reason why the umpire can not call it a free kick to Steele. One of the central umpires we had looked like a newbie. An experienced umpire would know that Steele is not a stager or an actor when it comes to physical contact.

You are just making up stuff by assuming the umpire had clear vision. He made an error imho, and didn’t have a feel for the game and he chose to ignore common sense and ignore his instinct

Stevic was probably not the controlling umpire and you’ll notice that they try not to over rule each other. I think they don’t want to dent the confidence of some of the newbies, so they let a few mistakes go and try and educate them as they get games experience.

What the hell are you talking about? Steele is boundary side and Spargo has come front on the umpire is behind Spargo.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 2:49pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 10 May 2022 2:26pm Umpire DIDN’T have clear vision.

What the hell are you talking about? Steele is boundary side and Spargo has come front on the umpire is behind Spargo.
Sorry my bad. You are right. I still think it’s an assumption to say ‘he had clear vision’ when there is congestion and stoppages. Jack copped the hit and still managed to get his hands on the footy and get the handball out. Steele and the rest of our players just have to learn to throw the head back and attract a free if it’s warranted.

I also got the Stevic versus Newbie thing wrong. It was umpire number nine which is Stevic who was closest. I watched the replay just now and it seems like the front on contact might have been enough to pay the free, but it’s not an easy game to umpire and I’d prefer they pay what they ‘see’ rather that just guessing

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Actually Steele had a real tough time at the end of the third quarter. It could have happened with clashes with Oliver and Long within 2 seconds.

Freebird
Club Player

Hey Dud, your thoughts on Jones fine...this MRP is not something that only has split second decision.
Personally I'm sick of others not being charged by MRO that are worse with statements of "the player ran into the tackler" or "action not unreasonable" only for these statements to be short-lived and Paddy and Jones charged a week later.

I know I'm biased but are we an easy target for MRO etc