Cooper Sharman

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cooper Sharman

bigcarl wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 11:05am
Killa wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 10:55am To be quite frank, the likes of Webster and McKenzie were members of a very poor side, replaced by the likes of Coffield and Clark

They have persevered, and injuries have given them opportunity

But they will make way as our List returns to full strength

The same with those delisted by other Clubs and recruited by St Kilda for depth

If they were delisted by other Clubs, are they going to play in a St Kilda premiership side?

This is where our recruiting of players from other Clubs, so proven players available not rejects and our Drafting are the important blocks

We have a bunch of Drafted players showing promise - including those in their first year at the Club

The List overall remains a work in progress - but that is always the case
McKenzie would be one of my first picked and Webster is more than handy. You underestimate them.

Clarke and Coffield can and will work their way back in when fit, but it wouldn’t necessarily be at the expense of those two.
You expressed the reality of the situation better than myself.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Forget Sharman, yesterday's hero. Not only will not improve this side anytime soon, he would actually contribute to continued losses. We need a Jack Hayes type back permanently in our forward line.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Killa wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 10:55am To be quite frank, the likes of Webster and McKenzie were members of a very poor side, replaced by the likes of Coffield and Clark

The same with those delisted by other Clubs and recruited by St Kilda for depth

If they were delisted by other Clubs, are they going to play in a St Kilda premiership side?
Interesting point, I agree in the most part that delisted castoffs are unlikely to form your next premiership team, however some very decent players have been delisted / delisted free agents and ended up premiership players or very good for their new club. Hawthorn certainly had a few during their premiership rein.

Interesting Saints who have been delisted include:

Brent Guerra - delisted by St Kilda and a dual premiership player at Hawthorn
Zac Dawson - delisted by Hawthorn and played in 4 grand finals for 3 losses and one draw
Dylan Roberton - was a very good player in his prime at St Kilda after being delisted by Freo
Daryl Wakelin - delisted by the Crows without playing a game
Mark Hutchings - delisted by St Kilda and premiership player at WCE
Tim Membrey - pretty sure he arrived from Sydney as a DFA
Luke Dunstan - depending on injuries it is perceivable that delisted saint Luke Dunstan could have a chance at being a premiership player at Melbourne
Shane Wakelin - not 100% sure, but I think we delisted Wakelin after he did a knee who played in 2 losing GF's at Collingwood
Jack Newnes - has given pretty good service to Carlton as a DFA

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sharman back in this week I hope!
Can take pack marks and kick straight!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 11:30am

Tim Membrey - pretty sure he arrived from Sydney as a DFA --- Following the lack of opportunities at the Swans, Membrey requested a trade to St Kilda. The two clubs could not agree on a trade and with Membrey out of contract, Sydney delisted the forward. Membrey then signed with St Kilda as a delisted free agent
Dylan Roberton - was a very good player in his prime at St Kilda after being delisted by Freo -- ditto Membrey basicly refused to sign a new contact neither club wanted to lose them
Jack Newnes - has given pretty good service to Carlton as a DFA -- average in a average side now they are coming good he is no where to be seen
Last edited by ausfatcat on Mon 02 May 2022 11:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

It is hard to soar like a Saint when you are surrounded by Zebras.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 11:29pm Sharman back in this week I hope!

Sharman did not play for Sandi this week.
So I doubt he will play seniors this week.

Sharman has not even been at the Saints a full year yet. So he has only done the one pre-season.
So he is still a work in progress, but one with plenty of upside.

Like Heath he was not recruited to be an instant potential senior play like say Lienert or Hayes were. Sharman was picked up to be developed into a senior player.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Shaggy
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 11:15am Forget Sharman, yesterday's hero. Not only will not improve this side anytime soon, he would actually contribute to continued losses. We need a Jack Hayes type back permanently in our forward line.
We are all aware of your penchant against the kids.

It was not long ago you said you would microwave your head if NWM played a game early for the Saints.

I am not sure there is a microwave big enough but I do not think it would do you any harm to give a microwave ago. Chat to the wife and see what she thinks.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

SunnyErnie wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 8:55am
Banger9798 wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 4:06am
SunnyErnie wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 9:59pm
Sainternist wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 5:12pm He looked like a natural in front of goal in the handful of games he played last year.

How’s the kid been travelling for Sandy?

Would the forward line be too tall if we had him alongside King and Membrey?
Ratts should make a statement and drop Membrey and play Sharmam in his place. Maybe by doing this it shows everyone that even if you put in one sub par performance you could find yourself in the twos!!! It’s worth a try particularly against the Dees!!!
Insanity
Pathetic response and typical of the standard of posters on here. You obviously have no idea of what a fan forum is all about!
ffs

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 1:49am
Vortex wrote: Mon 02 May 2022 11:15am Forget Sharman, yesterday's hero. Not only will not improve this side anytime soon, he would actually contribute to continued losses. We need a Jack Hayes type back permanently in our forward line.

It was not long ago you said you would microwave your head if NWM played a game early for the Saints.

I am not sure there is a microwave big enough but I do not think it would do you any harm to give a microwave ago. Chat to the wife and see what she thinks.
You won't believe this, I took your advice and run your idea past the wife and she yelled she hasn't got an Effin clue who NWM is but would happily microwave my head. It caused a really big fight between us because I was so upset she didn't know who NWM is. Can I come and stay at your place for a while.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 8:25am
Shaggy wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 1:49am

You won't believe this, I took your advice and run your idea past the wife and she yelled she hasn't got an Effin clue who NWM is but would happily microwave my head. It caused a really big fight between us because I was so upset she didn't know who NWM is. Can I come and stay at your place for a while.
Try it on defrost first. Just in case

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Sun 01 May 2022 5:12pm He looked like a natural in front of goal in the handful of games he played last year.

Ratts should make a statement and drop Membrey and play Sharmam in his place. Maybe by doing this it shows everyone that even if you put in one sub par performance you could find yourself in the twos!!! It’s worth a try particularly against the Dees!!!
Insanity
Pathetic response and typical of the standard of posters on here. You obviously have no idea of what a fan forum is all about!
Here we go again

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 11:15am

Insanity
Here we go again
Give it another week. :wink:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 11:36am
The Fireman wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 11:15am

Insanity
Here we go again
Give it another week. :wink:
another week ??? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:wink:

SunnyErnie
Club Player

He is a natural just like Higgins.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
SunnyErnie
Club Player

It's because he can take pack marks and can kick straight that he is not getting picked

NeXus
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

SunnyErnie wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 10:37pm
It's because he can take pack marks and can kick straight that he is not getting picked
:? I don't get your point

BadRossco
Club Player

I think a lot of us, myself included, may have gone a bit early on Cooper. Looks a natural footballer but is not setting the world on fire at Sandy, appears to be just going through the motions and not giving his all maybe that was why he was only playing reserves football in the SANFL.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I was one of the many who thought we had found a genuine gun late last year.
He has looked off the pace at vfl level this year. Either he isn’t getting to the right spots , or the players aren’t able to get it to him. Maybe a bit if both. I do think he is one of those players that looks better with good players around him.

Is it just my imagination, or does he not look as fit or as quick this year ? And he definitely looks broader across the backside.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SunnyErnie
Club Player

He is the type of player that thrives in the big league. Get him into the senior side el pronto ffs!!!

NeXus
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

He missed last week due to concussion protocols. He will play for Sandy this week. End of story.

Saint supporter since '62
saintkev
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 10:53pm He is the type of player that thrives in the big league. Get him into the senior side el pronto ffs!!!
Reminiscent of Gary Buckenara who in his 20s was playing C division amateurs in Perth, from memory, when he was recruited by Hawthorn.
Rod Gwilt was another not on any team’s radar. Andrew Thompson was pick 60 odd from Old Melburnians in the Victorian Amateurs.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 11:17pm He missed last week due to concussion protocols. He will play for Sandy this week. End of story.
There is No End of Story Trev. The selectors should be shot!!!

NeXus
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Wed 04 May 2022 8:28pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 11:17pm He missed last week due to concussion protocols. He will play for Sandy this week. End of story.
There is No End of Story Trev. The selectors should be shot!!!
I think the selectors have it pretty right at this stage as we are sitting 4th!

PADDLEPOP1000
amusingname
Club Player

SunnyErnie wrote: Tue 03 May 2022 10:53pm He is the type of player that thrives in the big league. Get him into the senior side el pronto ffs!!!
Even if you are right, you don't see an issue with a player who only steps up in the seniors but seems to not get out of first gear in the two's?

Look at Billings last week at Sandy, clearly looks a class above and could probably get selected on his rep with a ok effort, but still puts in a good showing and puts his hand up as ready for the AFL with his performance rather than reputation.