Changes v Power

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Power

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 24 Apr 2022 9:27pm Watch the Zebra's match. Then the Manuka game. Unless you are related to J. Bytel it's Windhager by length of the straight.
As I’ve posted before, Bytel would seem to have missed the bus. With Dunstan gone, he needed to hit the ground running big time in the pre-season. Instead, By round 1, Byrne and even Owens were ranked ahead of him. And then Windhager came into the picture. And soon Jones will be back. So where could he play?

Fourth year players don’t get charity games.I doubt we’ll see him ina Saints team again, barring a massive form reversal or an injury list I wouldn’t wish to contemplate.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 7:35am
Yorkeys wrote: Sun 24 Apr 2022 9:27pm Watch the Zebra's match. Then the Manuka game. Unless you are related to J. Bytel it's Windhager by length of the straight.
As I’ve posted before, Bytel would seem to have missed the bus. With Dunstan gone, he needed to hit the ground running big time in the pre-season. Instead, By round 1, Byrne and even Owens were ranked ahead of him. And then Windhager came into the picture. And soon Jones will be back. So where could he play?

Fourth year players don’t get charity games.I doubt we’ll see him ina Saints team again, barring a massive form reversal or an injury list I wouldn’t wish to contemplate.
I’d be cutting some slack to players like Bytel recovering from injury who haven’t had the preseason running in their legs

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 2#p1945102

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 24 Apr 2022 10:27pm Anything been said about long ?
They announced the incidents from Saturday, so I assume there’s nothing from Friday.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Given the propensity for precipitation in Cairns do we really need two rucks

Port were using Powell Pepper at times on Saturday!! They only have one young ruck at moment

I think we can ruck Ryder and Battle as a cut out and rest Marshall, a long plane trip won’t help any circulation (cork thigh) issues

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 9:43am Given the propensity for precipitation in Cairns do we really need two rucks

Port were using Powell Pepper at times on Saturday!! They only have one young ruck at moment

I think we can ruck Ryder and Battle as a cut out and rest Marshall, a long plane trip won’t help any circulation (cork thigh) issues

I think yes for a few reasons.

1. It means Ryder has to shoulder less work.
2. It means we can have another tall forward helping Max.
3. Battle and our backline have thrived through stability, not throwing him into the ruck helps to preserve that stability.
4. It plays to.our structure and strengths, let them worry about us.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Saintmike65
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 10:28am
terry smith rules wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 9:43am Given the propensity for precipitation in Cairns do we really need two rucks

I think yes for a few reasons.

1. It means Ryder has to shoulder less work.
2. It means we can have another tall forward helping Max.
3. Battle and our backline have thrived through stability, not throwing him into the ruck helps to preserve that stability.
4. It plays to.our structure and strengths, let them worry about us.
Agree…Ratten likes to go with 2 rucks, one resting forward so doubt that will change.
Battle in defence gives nice balance to our back 7.
I like his aggression and, despite the odd miss kick, can be very creative with his bullet passes!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Don’t rest Marshall unless he says he’s not right.

We need the two rucks for all of the above reasons.

Plus Battle is now key to our defence.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 8:32am
The Fireman wrote: Sun 24 Apr 2022 10:27pm Anything been said about long ?
They announced the incidents from Saturday, so I assume there’s nothing from Friday.
Looks like you can get away with a fair so long as there’s no concussion, though I don’t expect that is a hard and fast rule.

Sanctorum
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 12:05pm Don’t rest Marshall unless he says he’s not right.

If Marshall is good to go he'll be selected, even if Port have just the one ruckman Marshall will be able to go forward and back as required.

If Marshall is rested then I hope they go with Max Heath, reports indicate he has shown a lot of versatility in the twos and if it's wet I reckon his mobility and energy will suit him better than Campbell to get around the ground. If he plays well I can see him replacing Jack Hayes as 3rd ruck/tall forward!

Imagine how good it will be to have Max Heath with 12 or more games under his belt if St Kilda play finals....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 1:12pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 12:05pm Don’t rest Marshall unless he says he’s not right.

If Marshall is good to go he'll be selected, even if Port have just the one ruckman Marshall will be able to go forward and back as required.

If Marshall is rested then I hope they go with Max Heath, reports indicate he has shown a lot of versatility in the twos and if it's wet I reckon his mobility and energy will suit him better than Campbell to get around the ground. If he plays well I can see him replacing Jack Hayes as 3rd ruck/tall forward!

Imagine how good it will be to have Max Heath with 12 or more games under his belt if St Kilda play finals....
It’s certainly worth considering, though I’ll admit to having no idea of whether he’d be physically ready. Wouldn’t want to throw a kid to the wolves if he is not.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 7:43am

I’d be cutting some slack to players like Bytel recovering from injury who haven’t had the preseason running in their legs

Yes, however would you think Bytel being a 4th year player now should have been able to get selected ahead of NWM and Windy after however many games is it now for Sandy. He had more hype generated about him than White and Sharman put together and long before he even debuted. Would you say he needs to establish himself in the the best 22 this year to justify the hype, or do you think he'll be a slower burn and maybe needing 5 to 6 years to establish himself?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The bus is pretty much parked until August. I wouldn't write anyone on this list off just yet. Particularly those under 22 and 50 games.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Marshall has played injured the last two weeks

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 3:26pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 7:43am

Yes, however would you think Bytel being a 4th year player now should have been able to get selected ahead of NWM and Windy after however many games is it now for Sandy. He had more hype generated about him than White and Sharman put together and long before he even debuted. Would you say he needs to establish himself in the the best 22 this year to justify the hype, or do you think he'll be a slower burn and maybe needing 5 to 6 years to establish himself?
I think Windy has the zip like Sincs and Gresh so he gets the nod in front of Jack Bytel. Love the fact that Windy has been given a chance at starting bounces in the middle. Sincs, Gresh and also Windy are expected to win their own ball, so they are not shy when it comes to contested footy.

Both NWM and Windy will make way when Zac Jones and Jack Billings are fully fit and available for selection. NWM is strictly outside so he’s not competing with Crouch, Steele or Ross for a position. Jack Bytel will eventually take over from either Crouch or Ross …if he is aerobically fit enough and if Seb Ross or Brad Crouch drop off in form

Moods
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 6:57pm

Most people think that a corked thigh it’s a fairly innocuous injury and that an AFL footballer will play the following week. Most of those people have never had a cork on a cork. It’s one of the most painful experiences of my life (and I’ve had several broken bones in my life)

As the physio explained to me at the time it’s like a Friday egg spreading across your thigh. The thought I can swell up to nearly twice its normal size. It takes nearly double the amount of time to read the thigh of of all the blood. At the time it happened to me it took 3 to 4 weeks for me to recover and get back to playing. I’m not suggesting that Marshall will be out that long, but we shouldn’t just assume he’ll be fine to play. Without knowing anything more than anyone else, I’d suggest giving him a week off at least would be prudent.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt played most of his career with at least a niggle of some sort.

Players should be able to make the call on whether they are right. If he says he’s too sore and not right to go, then yes, definitely rest him.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 7:19pm

Most people think that a corked thigh it’s a fairly innocuous injury and that an AFL footballer will play the following week. Most of those people have never had a cork on a cork. It’s one of the most painful experiences of my life (and I’ve had several broken bones in my life)

As the physio explained to me at the time it’s like a Friday egg spreading across your thigh. The thought I can swell up to nearly twice its normal size. It takes nearly double the amount of time to read the thigh of of all the blood. At the time it happened to me it took 3 to 4 weeks for me to recover and get back to playing. I’m not suggesting that Marshall will be out that long, but we shouldn’t just assume he’ll be fine to play. Without knowing anything more than anyone else, I’d suggest giving him a week off at least would be prudent.
Depends what treatment is available. It’s possible there is something rather than just rest. The 8 day break will help. He can also head up to Cairns early and just marinate in the severe humidity up there.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ace
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 2:34am IN Ryder OUT Hayes ACL injury
IN Jones OUT Long suspended

One of Lienert, Windhager or Wanganeen-Milera to be medical sub

Marshall got corked against Gold Coast but played after a 6 day break.
They suggested he got a cork on this cork.
He has an 8 day break.
If that is not sufficient I would love to see Max Heath played as second ruck forward to Paddy Ryder.

I want to see W-M go harder at the ball and try tackling.
He is softer than Brad Hill but at present nowhere near as good.
I hope he will be as good as Hill but also learns to go harder at the ball and become a fierce tackler.
Sorry I thought the GWS player was substituted for concussion.
Reading the match report it turns out GWS did not use their medical sub.
So I will take that Long suspension back.
Heathen has had sufficient time to move against Long by now and has not, so Long is safe.

IN Ryder OUT Hayes ACL injury
IN Jones OUT either Long or Wang-Milera

If Marshall does not come up then the Saints need a second ruck-forward.
The club has a habit (bad) to use interstate games as an opportunity to blood fresh blood.
Campbell has more experience but I suspect the club may give Max Heath a chance to show he can compete.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 7:19pm

Definitely- Marshall should be rested, or else he will be in and out of the team during the season with this problem, not playing to his full capacity, and not there possibly for some games we need him in.

stkfc1
Club Player

I'd be resting Marshall. Corks are nasty and a plane ride up and back for a big man is not goingto help it all. We have an 8 day break after this game so plenty of time for him to recover for Melb where we are defintley going to need two rucks. I reckon we can go with Ryder by himself and bring in another mid. Its going to be slippery and hard conditions so Id bring in Jones for Marshall.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Out: Hayes inj, Marshall, Butler, Webster, Lienert ... all rested.
In: Ryder, Byrnes, Jones definite in if ready, Connolly (or Owen/Peris), Highmoore ... just to give our other likely (and up and coming) players a run. We need to get games into everyone, and they are all good replacements.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 12:27pm Out: Hayes inj, Marshall, Butler, Webster, Lienert ... all rested.
In: Ryder, Byrnes, Jones definite in if ready, Connolly (or Owen/Peris), Highmoore ... just to give our other likely (and up and coming) players a run. We need to get games into everyone, and they are all good replacements.
Not sure I agree with that. Too many changes can unsettle the team especially if not completely necessary. I’d argue that Marshall is a necessity to be rested but the others? No way! Highmore Byrnes, Connolly and co will have to bide their time.

We aren’t playing North or WC this weekend. Port will be desperate for a win and WC may have given them some confidence. Every game is worth 4 points. No game is more important than any others until hopefully we reach finals ( finals obviously more important)

samoht
Saintsational Legend

There's always the risk of losing a bit of chemistry/synergy ... and the timing might be wrong this week for 5 changes.
But other players could use a run and need to feel part of the team, to build some synergy themselves. It's a long season.

We need to manage players - and I think we have sufficient depth to do that (outside of our core 10-12 players).
Last edited by samoht on Tue 26 Apr 2022 1:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 12:27pm Out: Hayes inj, Marshall, Butler, Webster, Lienert ... all rested.
Are you thinking about tanking for draft picks?

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Not at all.
Jones would improve the team, even with the other 4 replacements.
Butler isn't exactly setting the world on fire - and could probably use a rest.