Boris Enright

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Boris Enright

When he got announced, a lot of Cats were sad, they said he's great value.

Look at how the defenders are going.
He's got a magic touch.
Wilkie n Dougal were already a dynamic duo, but Boris has got Battle and Lienert singing from the same hymn book as well.

Gotta love the Boris.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Boris Enright

As he would agree

Credit goes to the players

Can’t remember Enright getting a kick or performing a spoil this season

Darth Vader
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 2:01am As he would agree

Agree. We should sack all the coaches and let the players coach themselves.

Saintmike65
Club Player

You’re a hard man B.M…quality assistant coaches can have a huge impact!!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 11:18am

You’re a hard man B.M…quality assistant coaches can have a huge impact!!
Josh Battle made specific reference to Enright's influence in his on field interview at the end of Friday's game.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Whilst good coaches will credit the players. Good players will credit the coaches. Makes a huge difference when they work together rather than in spite of each other.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

You’d fit right in as a coach. You know nothing.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Cordz2
Club Player

The defenders have referred to Boris Enright more than once this year. Having a great defence coach has helped us. Coming from the team first and attacking incredible backline of the late 2000s in the best 10 year winning record team ever gives something to our young back men. Also he’s someone who can articulate the message.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Coaches have their place

But I don’t overstate their role in performance

Players perform

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Furthermore

I never played well because of a coach

Nor did I blame a coach when I didn’t perform

It came down to me, as a player

Point is
Boris would be communicating a system - but at the end of the day, the players have to carry it out

BTW
Id like him to suggest that our Full Back tries to get within 20m of his opponent at some stage?!
Particularly at a front half stoppage

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Of course it’s all down to the players but to suggest that the coaches have played no role in their improvement is ridiculous.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 12:53pm Furthermore

I never played well because of a coach

Nor did I blame a coach when I didn’t perform

It came down to me, as a player

Point is
Boris would be communicating a system - but at the end of the day, the players have to carry it out

BTW
Id like him to suggest that our Full Back tries to get within 20m of his opponent at some stage?!
Particularly at a front half stoppage
Your advice would make a difference but his doesn't?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Of course they have a role

But that’s all they have

They are not the panacea some supporters believe they are

Example
Sincs is playing well… must be Ratts influence?!

Nope, he’s just a good player. Ratts is a factor (by determining his position/role, but if Sincs was no good, doesn’t matter a f*** what Ratten does?!

If a great coach is all it takes, and Ratten is considered a great coach
Why isn’t Bytel performing better?
Why has Cooper lost form?
Why can’t Allison develop?

There’s a lot of things involved- the senior coach being 1 thing, assistant coaches another, but ultimately it’s the players who have to perform. It’s up to them.

Mick Malthouse
Good Coach or Bad Coach?

The only comment I actually agree with from him
“The most dangerous opposition coach are the ones with the best players”

So
Was he a good coach in 2010 & 2011
Or a bad coach in 2014 & 2015

I think he was the same coach. Difference
Good team and poor team

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

You are a tough marker BM. The fact that we are playing a great team defence has everything to do with the coaching. Unrewarded running to fill space doesnt occur unless the players have complete faith. Players dropping off to help their team mates only happens when teams are playing unselfish footy. So it mighten be just Enright, but I am confident the coaches and players are all on song.

I was at Friday nights game and I thought it was Howard's best game for the year. He is not a huge intercept marker but his spoiling is first rate.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

3rd lowest points scored against after 6 rounds.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Big Mart you talk some tripe sometimes. You need to stop justifying yourself. Why do AFL clubs spend so much time and money on coaches.
Your argument doesn't make sense. You cannot compare your amateur career to the AFL. It's light years away.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

So you credit coaches with wins?

Are Ratten and Lade good coaches??

Freebird
Club Player

Must be coaches because Battle no good and has a turning circle of the Queen Mary.

I'm sure you suggested many changes half time last Friday...

Maybe coaches need your advice to win games?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 3:08pm So you credit coaches with wins?

Are Ratten and Lade good coaches??
There is no doubt that the sucess is a whole of club effort - coaches & players. You are not the only one to have played the game and I coached until I was 50yo.

So ease mate and enjoy the wins as they come!

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

BM.
Some valid thought
But global evidence in vast sports proves your opinion is simply that...another wrong opinion.

Overall a great coach can make an average team of players great. These are facts. If you can't find this evidence...no one can help you.

I admit a team of average, good and great lads that lack confidence & focus can adjust a bit and be much better, but never great. Surely you can St Kilda as evidence of this? Great players failed to create greatness for club history....we always have lacked a great coach.

Edit: sorry should've said in recent times we've lacked a great coach.

I believe:
~ George Sparrow - made an average team very good but not great
~ Alan Jeans had something special
~ Stan Alves was close as a General Patton type...push the lads towards victory if he's gotta shove them out the door himself...but lacked the culture component
~ Grant Thomas had the culture component, he had the guys loving him, themselves and the club, but he thought he was a better tactician than he really was, which made him a bit of a dick...had he the strategic skills...might of been the one
~ Ross Lyon had culture and strategy but he did lack that killer instinct all the greats have...saw an interview with Leigh Matthews once live ( I was about three meters away) and it felt like he was talking through me and about to jump up & rip me tits off ..the guy had a ferocious mindset.

Soo yeah I guess we've had some pretty decent coaches but never ( only maybe once in Jeansy) the Sheedy, Matthews, Clarkson type...
Last edited by SAINT-LEE on Mon 25 Apr 2022 6:50pm, edited 3 times in total.

happy feet
Club Player

I played more basketball than AFL and coaches had a big impact on improving my skills and thus improving my performances as a player. I think everyone has a valid point here in this thread. BIg Mart is correct in that players win games not coaches but I have seen a champion team beat a team of champions. For me a team is just not players but also coaches, assistant coaches and support staff. To be successful all must ‘click’ and must operate as a well oiled unit. Coaches will see things that players miss and adjust game strategy and match ups accordingly. Players must also be coachable, one would assume having reached AFL level that they are coachable.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I mean one only has to think of Allan Jeans to think of the impact he had at St Kilda and Hawthorn. The coach sets the agenda.

therabbitinthehat
Club Player

You should all check out Winning Time (trailer below) if you can, shows what difference a coach can have on a bunch of players whether they are superstars or not.

George27
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 2:40pm Big Mart you talk some tripe sometimes. You need to stop justifying yourself. Why do AFL clubs spend so much time and money on coaches.
Your argument doesn't make sense. You cannot compare your amateur career to the AFL. It's light years away.
Actually Magnifisaint, coaches at the amateur level can have an even greater impact than at AFL in terms of teaching tactics and structure to a group of players of different levels of ability - provided of course the players had the humility to “buy-in” to the message . The worst players to coach are those who think it is all about them .

No one is saying that Enright ( or Ratten or Jeans , Jock McHale or even Craig Bellamy ) can take a group of low-talent Amateurs and make them play at AFL level. But what Boris seems to be doing - as Bellamy does every year - is take a group of individuals who have talent , and give them a clear system that they seem to understand, and that produces the maximum impact as a group having regard to the abilities of each player , so that the total is greater than the sum of the parts. It is not guaranteed that we will win the whole thing, but it seems to be clear that we are better .

I dare say that every poster on this thread would agree that we would be better off as a team if we had a coach with a clear system than if you or I wandered into the team room and wrote on the Whiteboard “ Good luck boys - spread out and do your best “. It seems Boris has a system that is working- a credit to him AND to the players .

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 6:19pm
magnifisaint wrote: Mon 25 Apr 2022 2:40pm Big Mart you talk some tripe sometimes. You need to stop justifying yourself. Why do AFL clubs spend so much time and money on coaches.
Actually Magnifisaint, coaches at the amateur level can have an even greater impact than at AFL in terms of teaching tactics and structure to a group of players of different levels of ability - provided of course the players had the humility to “buy-in” to the message . The worst players to coach are those who think it is all about them .

No one is saying that Enright ( or Ratten or Jeans , Jock McHale or even Craig Bellamy ) can take a group of low-talent Amateurs and make them play at AFL level. But what Boris seems to be doing - as Bellamy does every year - is take a group of individuals who have talent , and give them a clear system that they seem to understand, and that produces the maximum impact as a group having regard to the abilities of each player , so that the total is greater than the sum of the parts. It is not guaranteed that we will win the whole thing, but it seems to be clear that we are better .

I dare say that every poster on this thread would agree that we would be better off as a team if we had a coach with a clear system than if you or I wandered into the team room and wrote on the Whiteboard “ Good luck boys - spread out and do your best “. It seems Boris has a system that is working- a credit to him AND to the players .
Who knows how much they can improve a side, but they have a big say in who plays and who doesn't, plus a say in what type the club needs. They mould the side.