Paddy goes *WHACK* D’oh!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy goes *WHACK* D’oh!

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 7:47pm
bigcarl wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 7:38pm
samoht wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 2:17pm Can a "bumper" by definition be passive/stationary?

If you are going to bump, you bump using your own force/momentum.'

There was none used in Ryder's case.

Ryder didn't deliver the bump, he received it and braced for it.
Good points. Sort of like running your car into a parked one. Who is to blame?
I think that depends on whether the parked car was legally parked - AFL arguing that Paddy was not legally parked
I think they are clutching at straws and enforcing rules that aren’t sustainable in a contact sport. Blind Freddy could see there was no malice or intent to hurt. He stood his ground and braced for impact. As we discussed yesterday, a real can of worms.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 12 Apr 2022 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

:x :x :x :x :x :x

Saintmike65
Club Player

Unfortunate result but move on…Hayes or Cambell will get their chance.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We’ve been made an example of.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The jury finds that the impact was high. Having disposed of the ball, Day was entitled to expect and indeed appeared to expect that he would not then receive forceful contact, which was largely front-on.

As such, he was vulnerable and did not take any steps to minimise the impact. The contact to his head was forceful.

We do not find that the other examples are of significant assistance based on what is known about them. The English example appears to have some similarities, but as it was not found to be rough conduct by the MRO there is no clear indication as to the MRO's assessment of impact in that matter.

So - from this point on anyone who is injured from a head high contact will expect the injuring party to be suspended

Pity that did not apply in Higgins case

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Meanwhile Pruess - who threw an elbow, head high, returns after a week to ruck for the Giants - against who??

That's right - US
Last edited by Sainter_Dad on Tue 12 Apr 2022 9:23pm, edited 2 times in total.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Sh*t result, but the team has to move on quickly as they have 2 back to back 6 day turn around games.

Its time for Marshall to step up and improve his form thus far. If he can break even against Witts, then perhaps Hayes can match Chol. Otherwise play Campbell to match up against Witts & Marshall against Chol. I think Chol would be too agile for Campbell and create around the ground issues. Either way stopping Witts influence will be the key to winning the game.

Losing Paddy against GWS (Pruess) wont be so critical.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 8:21pm The jury finds that the impact was high. Having disposed of the ball, Day was entitled to expect and indeed appeared to expect that he would not then receive forceful contact, which was largely front-on.

As such, he was vulnerable and did not take any steps to minimise the impact. The contact to his head was forceful.

We do not find that the other examples are of significant assistance based on what is known about them. The English example appears to have some similarities, but as it was not found to be rough conduct by the MRO there is no clear indication as to the MRO's assessment of impact in that matter.

So - from this point on anyone who is injured from a head high contact will expect the injuring party to be suspended

Had the umpire considered the tackle was high or dangerous, it may have been a different story. But that's a different story. The 2 examples are not alike.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I f---ing hate everyone at the moment where the f--k is common sense . I'm so angry I can't post anymore as I would probably get a couple of weeks ban maybe even a permeant ban for what I wan't to say . I will just cool down & post at a later date @!%#@!!!!!!!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Plays for Swans would get off
Name Joel Selwood would get off
Sorry but it’s **** in bullshyte

“Yeah….nah””
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't help when this guy is our player advocate

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 8:21pm.

He actually took a step to the left to maximise impact. But our QC neglected to bring that up.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
chook23
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 8:47pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 8:21pm.

He actually took a step to the left to maximise impact. But our QC neglected to bring that up.
sounds like our mouth piece did not do a good job

saint4life
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 8:31pm I f---ing hate everyone at the moment where the f--k is common sense . I'm so angry I can't post anymore as I would probably get a couple of weeks ban maybe even a permeant ban for what I wan't to say . I will just cool down & post at a later date @!%#@!!!!!!!!
Impressive restraint and wise!

:D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I would say it is now up to the 22 players who take the field in Round 5 and 6 to 'fly the flag' for Paddy - but, being St Kilda, we will just whimper and roll over

― Aristophanes

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The only thing that Saints players need to think about is winning at all costs. If you want the ultimate prize, then there will be casualties and there will be blood and there will be sacrifices. If we have the right attitude we can go all the way. Be ruthless, tough, ferocious at winning back the footy and aggressive at each contest.

These are the 5 things Saints players need to forget about when playing games of AFL football from now on.

1. Don’t forget that even though it’s a contact sport you have a duty of care.

2. Be careful not to touch your opponent if you are a little late when contesting.

3. Be disciplined and don’t show any strength or aggression.

4. If there is a chance of hurting your opponent then back off and slow down.

5. If you think that you might hurt your opponent in a tackle, it might be better to just put your arms out rather than showing any physicality.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

No doubt we will see worse incidents in coming weeks where no charge will be laid. The application of the 'rules' swings with the breeze. We have the most pathetic judicial system in the AFL. Totally inconsistent with no application of precedent. It's completely random other than certain players and certain clubs who are given the soft touch year after year

Sanctorum
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 9:22pm I would say it is now up to the 22 players who take the field in Round 5 and 6 to 'fly the flag' for Paddy - but, being St Kilda, we will just whimper and roll over
Don't think players will roll over SD, to the contrary, I reckon they'll move on and keep playing the way they have in the last 3 wins. They have a well rehearsed game plan, back each other up and adjust their game to minimise the impact if Witts (42 HO) and Chol (10 HO) dominate the ruck contests.

I prefer Hayes over Campbell, the latter may win a few more hit-outs but he's not going to be as useful as Hayes up forward.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Simples...

Cannot risk bumping a player...must tackle.

Cannot brace for contact...must leave yourself open for injury OR dive out of the way.

This game I loved for so long and gave me so much enjoyment as a player & supporter was losing me each year, now it's beginning to lose me each week.

It is over analysed, over scrutinised and over sensitised.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 9:44pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 9:22pm I would say it is now up to the 22 players who take the field in Round 5 and 6 to 'fly the flag' for Paddy - but, being St Kilda, we will just whimper and roll over
Don't think players will roll over SD, to the contrary, I reckon they'll move on and keep playing the way they have in the last 3 wins.
I hope you are right

You mean like they stood up for:
- Warnes Game
- Spuds Game
- Friday Night Games

Don't get me wrong - I bleed R,W&B but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak

I keep thinking - tip with your head - barrack with your heart.

― Aristophanes

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 8:31pm I f---ing hate everyone at the moment where the f--k is common sense . I'm so angry I can't post anymore as I would probably get a couple of weeks ban maybe even a permeant ban for what I wan't to say . I will just cool down & post at a later date @!%#@!!!!!!!!
You might get banned but f*** it. Tribunal.might be a bit more lenient here.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 10:07pm
Sanctorum wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 9:44pm
Don't think players will roll over SD, to the contrary, I reckon they'll move on and keep playing the way they have in the last 3 wins.
I hope you are right

You mean like they stood up for:
- Warnes Game
- Spuds Game
- Friday Night Games

Don't get me wrong - I bleed R,W&B but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak

I keep thinking - tip with your head - barrack with your heart.
Paddy is a big loss, but the mids will need to win the ball or turn it over anyway.

Play Hayes and Higgins, expose Witts around the ground and lets see if they can out run and outscore us.

They will struggle to stop our forward line.

I'd rest Wood, take the leash of Hayes and King to lead right up the ground and isolate Marshall and Higgins. They will drop one back, maybe 2.

realdeal
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 8:21pm The jury finds that the impact was high. Having disposed of the ball, Day was entitled to expect and indeed appeared to expect that he would not then receive forceful contact, which was largely front-on.

Doesn't the fact he didnt actually make contact with his head make the entire case redundant...

Not to mention that he was standing still means it wasnt high impact...

It's a kangaroo court out there...

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He should have just dropped and busted a rib or two. Would have stopped at a free kick.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

F***ing disgrace!!!

Two games because a bloke ran into him and knocked himself out

Probably the same guy representing him as Baker did when the club got him 9 weeks for blocking Jeff Farmer off the ball with no footage.

We are always the victim of injustice

McKay recklessly smashes Hunter Clark’s jaw - no problem

Paddy holds his ground 2 weeks

FFS - if it was basketball it would have been an offensive foul