Paddy goes *WHACK* D’oh!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy goes *WHACK* D’oh!

saynta wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 8:13pm
Peanut Farm wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 8:09pm 2 weeks for standing his ground, wtf was he supposed to do?

Meanwhile Ben Brown cops 2 weeks for a deliberate dirty raised elbow strike. The system &Michael Christian is a joke
1 week with an early plea.
2 weeks with or without plea

Will contest

saint4life
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 8:35pm I understand why the AFL haa gone this way.

They are petrified (with due reason) about the inevitable spate of concussion law suits, but …

The rule is wrong. You should be able to stand your ground and also brace for self protection if someone is running at you.
The AFL being petrfied is no excuse for this decision. If that was the case then any player involved in another player receiving a concussion should cop a week. Hello Ralphsmith.

But that suggestion is ridiculous, it is a contact sport, accidents happen. Looking forward to when they rub a bloke out for putting their knee through a players scone taking a mark OR will they just give them a car for Mark of the Year.

This was wrong in terms of the spirit of the game & the spirit of the offence. A bump is not a bump if the player stands there, in basketball I think they call it a screen.

Absolute joke! They must appeal.

Sanctorum
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 8:17pm Appeal or cop it on the chin (so to speak)?
Two weeks suspension with an early plea, does that mean he'll be out longer if he appeals??

The media say that Paddy deserved to be sanctioned because the AFL has tightened the rules around concussions from collisions (the Hunter Clark case is largely responsible for this).

But a decent QC will present evidence of an identical collision between Tim English and Nick Blakey 2 weeks ago that was cleared by the MRP as clear precedence that Paddy should be acquitted.

As Buckley said when talking about this on SEN, AFL is a contact sport, it's not touch footy!

Sure, concussion is a serious problem but try as they might knocks on the head will continue to happen. You'll often see a player come charging in, leap above a pack to contest the ball and knock players sideways, if this results in a player getting concussion are they gonna ban that too??

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 9:03pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 8:17pm Appeal or cop it on the chin (so to speak)?
Two weeks suspension with an early plea, does that mean he'll be out longer if he appeals??

The media say that Paddy deserved to be sanctioned because the AFL has tightened the rules around concussions from collisions (the Hunter Clark case is largely responsible for this).

But a decent QC will present evidence of an identical collision between Tim English and Nick Blakey 2 weeks ago that was cleared by the MRP as clear precedence that Paddy should be acquitted.

As Buckley said when talking about this on SEN, AFL is a contact sport, it's not touch footy!

Sure, concussion is a serious problem but try as they might knocks on the head will continue to happen. You'll often see a player come charging in, leap above a pack to contest the ball and knock players sideways, if this results in a player getting concussion are they gonna ban that too??
Is the next step that Duckwood and Bruest get suspended for leading into the tackle head first

Looking forward to going to watch the Bubble Football next year!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we might get it reduced to one week in his appeal. The club could argue that Day partly initiated the clash by changing direction.

TBH, I don't think Day was trying to run into Paddy: I don't think he had very good awareness of what was going on around him, which doesn't bode well for his future career.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 9:29pm TBH, I don't think Day was trying to run into Paddy: I don't think he had very good awareness of what was going on around him, which doesn't bode well for his future career.
I don't think he was TRYING to run into Paddy - he was kicking the making a bee line for the 'fat' side to get the next kick

HOWEVER

Run into him HE did!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Yes, I think we have to appeal.

The league thinks they’ll get away with using us as a test case for their concussion agenda because “it’s only St Kilda”.

Key questions I’d be asking them at appeal (just so the entire game knows where the rules are at) are:

Is it permissible for a player to stand his ground; and, Is it permissible for a stationary player to brace for impact once a collision is inevitable?

Just so the rules of the game are now clear for all concerned.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 9:29pm I reckon we might get it reduced to one week in his appeal. The club could argue that Day partly initiated the clash by changing direction.

TBH, I don't think Day was trying to run into Paddy: I don't think he had very good awareness of what was going on around him, which doesn't bode well for his future career.

if we think the press hurt us...... there is another thing going on now too.
Push-back against the revision of tribunal's verdicts.
Too many of the verdicts have been overturned by appeal.
A sense that the tribunal is weak.
In the press.
Eddie McQuire and other loud mouths calling for the tribunal to be axed.

We just have to find a way to beat Gold Coast without Paddy.

The man we dropped for the Hawthorn game is now paramount.
No pressure mate!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 9:29pm I reckon we might get it reduced to one week in his appeal. The club could argue that Day partly initiated the clash by changing direction.

Part MRO finding

High contact

HIGH IMPACT

it was not forceful...medium at best

should be downgraded to 1 week .....even slim chance to get off if represented well at appeal

saint4life
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I was expecting 1 week def not 2, the club needs to react strongly.

footyhead
Club Player

The consistency of this sort of incident is the main worry. We have players jumping into other players heads recklessly (west cost vs suns) not issue, and a few other incidents that look very similar if not exactly the same etc. no player could understand the boundaries unless it’s based on who does it. Maybe Paddy could have avoided the bump but 2 weeks for an early plea that means they think it’s 3 weeks. Anyway maybe we can see another new player. Might be a good opportunity to give a potential ruck a taste for 2 weeks. Take the pressure off and gain some experience for someone we hope replaces Paddy in the future. While never say never I don’t think we are GF material yet so we could treat it as an opportunity. Paddy is a huge loss though he is a master of his art and makes us a 1-3 goal better team not to mention the fantastic taps to advantage. I think the severity of the decision is flawed so we probably should look to appeal at least the severity.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

After Day kicked the ball, you can see he clearly changes direction and runs straight into Ryder in the last couple of strides he takes. Ryder had to quickly brace - and would have been surprised by Day's change of direction and lack of awareness.

We should appeal, but then again, let's give someone else a run for a couple of weeks.
We should keep tweaking a thing or 2 every week - keep developing our young players (whoever deserves it) and working with our new players to get the right blend and to improve our depth.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 12 Apr 2022 9:54am, edited 1 time in total.

Killa
Club Player

The footage shows the Hawthorn player running into an almost stationary Ryder (if not stationary)

Given the resulting collision saw Ryder concussed the Hawthorn player would be the one suspended - not Ryder

The force of the collision was the factor of the Hawthorn player running into Ryder

Not Ryder running into the Hawthorn player

The description on the AFL website is prejudicial to Ryder - and Indicative if the AFL agenda

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Day and now the AFL have to answer or account for their lack of awareness.

Also the media and so called footy experts for not analysing the footage properly and just spouting rubbish and prejudging the result.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 12 Apr 2022 10:01am, edited 1 time in total.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

1 week seems fair with the new rules and I think that is where it will settle.

Its doesn't seem to matter that there was no intent or deliberate action, Paddy merely blocked Day but once the player goes out with concussion they will now act.

You really have to get in low if you are going to bump now and take out the ribs.
The days of Rod Grinter jumping into a shirt front are gone.

Paddy at 6'6 standing tall and blocking the running path of a midfielder is going to collect the head of his opponent most times.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
samoht
Saintsational Legend

If Day suddenly changed direction and ran into a goal post, we'd say he lacked awareness. We wouldn't be widening the distance between the goalposts or fitting them with springs.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Day has the neck of a bobble head. You could pat him on the back and concuss him!

The vibe says this must go to the High Court.

spert
Saintsational Legend

If it was Tom Hawkins, he would have got off with a reprimand

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 9:58am
Its doesn't seem to matter that there was no intent or deliberate action, Paddy merely blocked Day but once the player goes out with concussion …
+1

This.

I assumed people watch the FOX broadcast, heard Luke Darcy remind us why..

Darcy was not being a jerk..he was genuinely empathetic to Paddy.

Get concussion from reading some posts ..

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 9:58am
Its doesn't seem to matter that there was no intent or deliberate action, Paddy merely blocked Day but once the player goes out with concussion …
+1

This.

I assumed people watch the FOX broadcast, heard Luke Darcy remind us why..

Darcy was not being a jerk..he was genuinely empathetic to Paddy.

Get concussion from reading some posts ..

maverick
Saintsational Legend

The problem with the concussion argument is the English non decision. Unless paddy absolutely hit day in the head and English absolutely didn’t then you can’t give one player 2 weeks and clear another.

How did the concussion occur, from the hit on the chin or the whiplash of the head!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 8:48pm
saynta wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 8:13pm
Peanut Farm wrote: Mon 11 Apr 2022 8:09pm 2 weeks for standing his ground, wtf was he supposed to do?

Meanwhile Ben Brown cops 2 weeks for a deliberate dirty raised elbow strike. The system &Michael Christian is a joke
1 week with an early plea.
2 weeks with or without plea

Will contest
I was referring to Brown.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 10:45am The problem with the concussion argument is the English non decision. Unless paddy absolutely hit day in the head and English absolutely didn’t then you can’t give one player 2 weeks and clear another.

How did the concussion occur, from the hit on the chin or the whiplash of the head!
Or in the five minutes immediately after where he played on? Or maybe earlier in the game?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

It isn't that hard to accept that Paddy was unlucky.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 12 Apr 2022 10:08am Day has the neck of a bobble head. You could pat him on the back and concuss him!

The vibe says this must go to the High Court.
100% agree. I would consider Legal Action if we don't get this overturned.

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus