Sinclair into the middle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair into the middle

Suggested this early on when being questioned about agreeing with the retention of Geary. Clearly a massive tick when he has moved there the first two games and really should only improve from here.

It gives us what we need through the middle pace and creativity with the ball.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sinclair into the middle

I posted about this last week.

In terms of players that have the desirable midfield qualities we have but haven’t completely been successful as full time mids as yet, Sinclair is the one that is 100% ready to make the transition.

We have a plethora of players that can play on a HBF or HFF lacking in one quality or another at this time which inhibits their ability to be in the middle all the time (size, tank, injury prone, skills, speed)

Sinclair however has developed his game enough now that he is simply too good to stay on a HBF.
He’s fast, can win the ball, has excellent disposal, is a good decision maker…
And most importantly, we look better with him in the middle. He’s got form so to speak.

IMO, make the move permanent and let someone else start/continue developing on a HBF. IMO Clark is the obvious choice on return to build his game up again from a HBF (missed a lot of football recently), Coffield when he’s back next year is an obvious fit, NWM can continue dabbling his toe in the water there, Connolly is kicking down the door at Sandy with his run off the flank…

There’s options there

Sinclair however has evolved past that and few on our list are capable of doing what he’s doing atm

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I am not sure about this. Sinclair has been moved before to the wing and while he did play well I think he is playing his best footy as a back man who can move forward via sling shot plays. Old adage that if it ain’t broke don’t fix. Plus hunter and billing’s are due to return soon so what then?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 11:32am I am not sure about this. Sinclair has been moved before to the wing and while he did play well I think he is playing his best footy as a back man who can move forward via sling shot plays. Old adage that if it ain’t broke don’t fix. Plus hunter and billing’s are due to return soon so what then?
Hunter was playing very well of a HBF in the games leading up to Adelaide last year and in the game where McKay caved his jaw in (prick). He has the agility, step and footskills to be very good off half back. Move Sincs into the middle and see where it goes. I don't think it can hurt.

Go you red, black & white warriors
stkfc1
Club Player

No brainer

Sincs is our only other elite player besides Steele. You play your best players where they're going to get the ball and use it to best effect. Our midfield is crying out for class and Sincs has it in spades
Plenty of other options for HBF

As others already stated . Billings and Clark on their return. NVM can be used there. Connelly with his footskills. We have other options.

dalboy
Club Player

Good move. He was part of the reason we got a run on v Collingwood and looks good in the middle. Keep him there.

Happiness is a warm pie!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

When he and Gresh were in there with Steele, we looked much sharper and more dangerous. Gotta be the future. Sincs has really gone next level. Not just demonstrating he has the ability but he's also developed consistency. It's a hallmark of really good players - that they consistently influence games.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Must have creative playmakers in the middle. I like Sincs and Gresham in there at least until Jones is back. Clark also is a playmaker.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 28 Mar 2022 6:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Must have creative playmakers in the middle. Like Sincs and Gresham in there at least until Jones is back. Clark also is a playmaker.

Sanctorum
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 12:44pm When he and Gresh were in there with Steele, we looked much sharper and more dangerous. Gotta be the future. Sincs has really gone next level. Not just demonstrating he has the ability but he's also developed consistency. It's a hallmark of really good players - that they consistently influence games.
Couldn't agree more, he has made a major impact at centre bounces and stoppages, fantastic user of the ball and at 27 has the experience (121 games) and physique to power his way through packs. Would be very surprised if he doesn't cement a permanent spot in the midfield.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
older saint
SS Life Member

With Jones out it gives the on ball group a point of difference

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Always thought he had the attributes to make a classy mid.

Credit to Ratten, he identified this potential during his first year.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 11:49am
DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 28 Mar 2022 11:32am I am not sure about this. Sinclair has been moved before to the wing and while he did play well I think he is playing his best footy as a back man who can move forward via sling shot plays. Old adage that if it ain’t broke don’t fix. Plus hunter and billing’s are due to return soon so what then?
Hunter was playing very well of a HBF in the games leading up to Adelaide last year and in the game where McKay caved his jaw in (prick). He has the agility, step and footskills to be very good off half back. Move Sincs into the middle and see where it goes. I don't think it can hurt.
Everything you said about Sinclair makes sense not arguing and if he wants to play in the midfield I wont mind. But I think people forget how many goals Sinclairs stops by being in the back line plus the run out of the backs he provides. I can see him in the midfield waiting for someone like himself to get the ball to him if that makes sense. Plus if someone is in career best form (arguably) why would you mess with that. However I thought Freo would win so what do i know

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair is just a good player

Early doors was very good as a small forward in 2014

Then he was excellent as a Wingman in 2018

The was outstanding as a HB in 2021

Now due to Zac being out is doing well in the centre square

Played as a mid at Sandy in 2015/2016 and dominated

Put simply
He can play

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Excellent, outstanding and doing well doesn't equate to just a good player. What about very good. He sets St Kilda up every time he gets it and is very courageous.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
StPeter
Club Player

Absolutely needed there.

Gave our middle a lift as soon as tried there.

Should have been before this. I kept thinking this all last year when we were struggling in that area.

The most underrated player at our club by supporters for so long (and selectors at times).

I can remember many on here and other forums wanted him dropped or even delisted.