Prepare for meltdown!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Prepare for meltdown!!!!

I’ve always been a big fan of Kent and a big Kent fan, which ever way you look at it. (don’t know about the rest of you doubters)…Top bloke to boot.

Come on Sainters..

I am soooo stoked….

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sharman should know better than to play well and score Brownlow votes.

He should have learned from Dunstan.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Are the VFL playing this week?

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not a Kent fan but if he can walk the walk & we can have a win I will be happy but if he plays like the Kent we all know too well then melt down will be an understatement . I wish him all the best & hope he has a blinder

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

Likewise disappointed not to see Sharman in the team but I think it’s actually Wood who is like for like don’t you think? I think Wood has shown a bit in the preseason. I think Kent has too just quietly.

The onus is on both players to respond to Ratt’s faith and work really hard.

Sharman can’t be far off but they seem to be developing swingman capability in his role.

If Wood and Kent don’t fire Sharman and another like for like (Long?) will be ready to have a crack.

Fair ‘in’s’ on current form not potential or past performances. Let’s see how Kent and Wood respond. Best of luck to both. They are Sainters after all.

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don’t know that it’s a Sharman vs Kent discussion.

Kent is a forward, crumber, play maker type that hasn’t cemented a spot in 4 years. He is 28yo, kicked what... 5 goals last year and has played a little under 100 games.

He’s not some 23yo kid that was promising, stagnated and finally getting a good run at it. I mean how much better do we expect him to get at this point?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 9:59pm I don’t know that it’s a Sharman vs Kent discussion.

Kent is a forward, crumber, play maker type that hasn’t cemented a spot in 4 years. He is 28yo, kicked what... 5 goals last year and has played a little under 100 games.

He’s not some 23yo kid that was promising, stagnated and finally getting a good run at it. I mean how much better do we expect him to get at this point?
Yes, it beggars belief.
I hope it is not an omen.
I am sticking to my version of the fairytale.. 1) Sharman messed up off-season and had discipline issues or got ahead of himself and was left out of the spotlight.
2) Kent..I've already said it.
I am now a 'fan'..what's not to love?
So come on Kenty..kick a bag!

Geez, I hope Ratts and co. know what they are doing.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 7:23pm
chook23 wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 7:11pm
Banger9798 wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 6:40pm Kent ahead of Sharman?

Happy to start the meltdown, prefer Bytel or NWM
2nd year blues for Sharman

Got ahead of himself??

Did not work hard enough?

Thought he made it? Based on a few games 2021
The real stuff is where it counts, and that's where he did good things last season. Practice match form is a bit hit and miss.
Obviously Sharman doesn't like dancing with his sister.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 10:09pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 9:59pm I don’t know that it’s a Sharman vs Kent discussion.

Yes, it beggars belief.
I am sticking to my version of the fairytale.. 1) Sharman messed up off-season and had discipline issues or got ahead of himself and was left out of the spotlight.

And to be clear... I don’t dislike Kent.

He seems to be very professional, highly liked at the club, been in the top 22 for the majority of 2 coach’s reigns to date... has the odd good game... there’s a lot to like there.

But the results largely speak for themselves. He’s maligned by the majority because he’s most either ineffective or just ok. He’s rarely a big contributor and seldom a match winner

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 10:15pm
... has the odd good game... there’s a lot to like there.

But the results largely speak for themselves. He’s maligned by the majority because he’s most either ineffective or just ok. He’s rarely a big contributor and seldom a match winner
Usually first up after a spell so fingers crossed 🤞

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yes, it beggars belief.

He seems to be very professional, highly liked at the club, been in the top 22 for the majority of 2 coach’s reigns to date... has the odd good game... there’s a lot to like there.

Yes, fair enough.
I am excited for Owens, neutral about Wood, bummed about HIghmore, concerned about Sharman. Those latter two were the silver lining last year.

saintkev
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 7:47pm Kent+Ross geezus...
They're named in our side but if there was any honesty in Champion Data, their disposals would be counted in thr Filth's column.

They'll be good for at least a dozen turnovers, just quietly.

I predict Kent will get under 15 disposals, most will go to the Filth or nowhere near a team-mate
Both are predictably one dimensional.

saintkev
Club Player

Yes, it beggars belief.

Built like a Sherman tank…plays like a Lada Niva.?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ross has 43 Brownlow Votes

Not bad for a hack

Been in the AA squad too… to go with a couple of B&Fs

If he’s our worst player, we’d be in pretty good shape

Sharman is still largely unproven
4 games is a small sample size

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 11:28pm Ross has 43 Brownlow Votes

Not bad for a hack

Nup..there's something up...something rotten in Denmark.

He's not that bad...streets ahead , miles ahead of Kent...I'd say he's better than Wood too. I don't get why Kent is picked, I conclude Ratts loves him. So be it. Go get em Kenty. Sorry Highmore isn't in too.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Hawkesbury Saint wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 9:21pm Likewise disappointed not to see Sharman in the team but I think it’s actually Wood who is like for like don’t you think? I think Wood has shown a bit in the preseason. I think Kent has too just quietly.

The onus is on both players to respond to Ratt’s faith and work really hard.

Sharman can’t be far off but they seem to be developing swingman capability in his role.

If Wood and Kent don’t fire Sharman and another like for like (Long?) will be ready to have a crack.

Fair ‘in’s’ on current form not potential or past performances. Let’s see how Kent and Wood respond. Best of luck to both. They are Sainters after all.
I think Wood is in to play the wing/HF role that they had tried Battle in last year. Sharman was playing deep forward - I think Hayes is going to be taking Sharman's spot as the third tall forward while providing (very ineffective) ruck support.

I don't like it. Sharman is a natural footballer who thrives at AFL level. I might be being harsh on him but Hayes looks like a state level plodder and Kent is an absolute spud. No issues with Wood being selected - he was very good last year when fit. I would've gone with this lineup

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Webster, Battle, Sinclair
C: Hill, Steele, Wood
HF: Higgins, Membrey, Byrnes
F: Butler, King, Sharman

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Gresham
Int: Campbell, Connolly, McKenzie, Ross

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 11:28pm Ross has 43 Brownlow Votes

Not bad for a hack

And Robert Harvey won not one, but TWO Brownlow medals, how the hell is he not in the team this week?!?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Kent is no better than Dunstan. I liked Dunstan. The coach likes Kent.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

If Ryder was playing I think we can play Sharman as full time forward.
When he doesn't play ,I think Ratten believes we need Hayes as the relief ruckman and forward target.

Personally, through 2022, I'd like to see Sharman,King, Butler and Higgins play plenty of games together and develop together as a forward line with Membrey Wood, Gresham, and Billings rotating through the HFF.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
older saint
SS Life Member

Seriously how anyone can comment on selection round 1 unless they have seen training during the pre-season and all practice games is nothing more than a guess.

Exposed form of previous season , at this point , cant really be used - this time last year Webster would have raised eyebrows, 2 years ago Sinclair the same.

Perhaps Kent has smashed it better than ever before, perhaps Sharman has cruised a but ala Coffied in 2020/21 pre season. Perhaps not and Kent is picked for a specific purpose.....

End of 2021 dont' think anyone would have had Wood in the best 22?

At least lets have a game or 2 before we the mugs in the stand have a basis for questioning selection decisions.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I agree with you. It's disheartening to me to see Kent selected. Feels like more deadwood recycling instead of moving forward. Play a 28 y.o who's struggled to establish himself as even a GOP, who's inconsistent with poor handling skills.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 11:14am

I agree with you. It's disheartening to me to see Kent selected. Feels like more deadwood recycling instead of moving forward. Play a 28 y.o who's struggled to establish himself as even a GOP, who's inconsistent with poor handling skills.

Comes down to your season expectations how you view this selection.

If you go down the why not us in 2022 path then it makes perfect sense.

If you think we're unlikely to make finals then it is the wrong call.

Until we know it isn't us, in my opinion we should stick with the why not us mindset and pick the best team to win each and every week. To that end I dont care about Kent's age and think it is the right selection.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 18 Mar 2022 12:22pm

Comes down to your season expectations how you view this selection.

If you go down the why not us in 2022 path then it makes perfect sense.

If you think we're unlikely to make finals then it is the wrong call.

Until we know it isn't us, in my opinion we should stick with the why not us mindset and pick the best team to win each and every week. To that end I dont care about Kent's age and think it is the right selection.
Spot on. Although I think the story here is not so much one of preferring experience over youth, but of having to work out the best choice out of a bunch of fairly ordinary players available given the injury list. Therefore, it presumably boiled down to choosing one of Sharman, Long, NW-M and Kent. During the pre-season, Sharman looked out of form (or perhaps carrying an undisclosed injury), which is presumably why he isn't even listed as an emergency for tonight. Long is a known quantity, including his ill-discipline which could potentially cause a lot of trouble in a match in which the umps are likely to be trigger-happy with 50m penalties. NW-M looked fabulous in the pre-season, but I think it's reasonable for the club to feel that two debutants is enough in such a crucial game. So Kent looks like the safest option. And we know that Ratten puts a lot of trust in Kent in terms of carrying out his instructions.

So, even if Kent doesn't go too well, I can't see how a meltdown would be justified. Anyway, I have an intuition he might have a good game tonight: he is surely aware that he is very much in the "last on/first off" spot on the team.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Yeah fair enough Baba and Nostalgic Saint, that's a reasonable approach. Let's hope he proves us doubters wrong and.makes a telling contribution.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I will put Kent down for a couple of goals.