Micky McGuane ranks saints midfield and forwards 9th.with the backs 11th

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Micky McGuane ranks saints midfield 9th

being under rated ... is good

if we are (actually) good enough to take advantage

could be should be

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The filth dropkick only rates our forwards as 9th too. Sharman doesn't rate a mention, apart from being a top up.

"9. ST KILDA

The top-liners: Tim Membrey (21 Games in 2021, 79 Average SuperCoach Score), Jack Higgins (19, 75), Mason Wood (7, 71), Josh Battle (14, 64), Max King (20, 62), Dean Kent (7, 59), Dan Butler (22, 53), Ryan Byrnes (16, 53)

The top-ups: Cooper Sharman (4, 68), Josiah Kyle (0, 0)

MICK SAYS

Max King has the physical attributes to become one of the top-three key forwards in the competition. He took the third-most contested marks of any player in 2021 and with another pre-season of weight training under his belt he could become the competition’s No. 1 contested marker this year. If he masters his goalkicking, King could quite easily have a Coleman Medal hanging around his neck at year’s end. King and Tim Membrey form a formidable combination as key forwards and have great synergy. Rowan Marshall poses a threat when he is in attack, although I’d like to see him hit the scoreboard more than he does. Josh Battle is hard to match up on and kicks long goals. Dan Butler and Jack Higgins bring creativity and goal kicking ability while Jade Gresham has a high football IQ. Where St Kilda can improve is getting a better balance between their deep entries inside-50 and their hit-up entries. "

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Micky McGuane ranks saints midfield and forwards 9th

What a tool.

Josh Battle is set to play in defence this season.

He really didn’t do his homework.

Hopefully, opposition teams will be as unprepared as this goose. I highly doubt it though.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I think, from what I have read, not what I have seen (cos I’ve seen almost squat of Battle on the field! , I think that Wood, Sharman and Battle are contenders for the third forward role.

I don’t understand what Battle is discussed at CHB as his strength is a leading, straight line charging bull who can crash a pack and kick a long beauty. I think he will be laterally and vertically worked over as a defender if he plays a man-on-man role. So I can see this ol Carlton goofy saying he is still a forward.

Obviously we know Battle is being trained down back now, so we assume he’ll be CHB.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I think, from what I have read, not what I have seen (cos I’ve seen almost squat of Battle on the field! , I think that Wood, Sharman and Battle are contenders for the third forward role.

I don’t understand what Battle is discussed at CHB as his strength is a leading, straight line charging bull who can crash a pack and kick a long beauty. I think he will be laterally and vertically worked over as a defender if he plays a man-on-man role. So I can see this ol Carlton goofy saying he is still a forward.

Obviously we know Battle is being trained down back now, so we assume he’ll be CHB.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

We were ranked 15th for scores once inside 50! Yet were 6th with the ball time spent inside our F50. So there is huge room for improvement.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.afl ... n-2021/amp

Having Gresham & Sharman available for the year will make a difference.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 21 Feb 2022 2:53pm We were ranked 15th for scores once inside 50! Yet were 6th with the ball time spent inside our F50. So there is huge room for improvement.

Is that just because our conversion is appalling?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 21 Feb 2022 4:53pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 21 Feb 2022 2:53pm We were ranked 15th for scores once inside 50! Yet were 6th with the ball time spent inside our F50. So there is huge room for improvement.

Is that just because our conversion is appalling?
Absolutely in June 2021 we were ranked dead last for shot accuracy at 43.2% with Essendon on top with 62.7%. We were having shots from reasonable areas comparitively, but our set shot ratings were well below par!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/where- ... ee3376bcdf

The attached article was written in June 2021, no doubt those stats improved as the season went on.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Mon 21 Feb 2022 5:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

:lol: The whole competition must be shitting themselves thinking that if St.Kilda start kicking accurately, they are all screwed. :lol:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The guy is a drunk

And has a gambling problem

WGAF what he thinks

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Micky McGuane ranks saints midfield and forwards 9th.with the backs 11th

11. ST KILDA

The top-liners: Jack Sinclair (21 Games in 2021, 86 Average SuperCoach Score), Dougal Howard (21, 80), Hunter Clark (13, 74), Bradley Hill (22, 73), Callum Wilkie (22, 73), Tom Highmore (12, 68), Jimmy Webster (20, 67), Nick Coffield (16, 63), Ben Long (14, 45)

The top-ups: Leo Connolly (7, 42), Darragh Joyce (5, 42), Oscar Adams (0, 0), Matthew Allison (0, 0), Ben Paton (0, 0), Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (0, 0)

MICK SAYS

I like the makeup of the St Kilda backline. Dougal Howard has All-Australian qualities and is a competitor who doesn’t shirk the responsibility of playing on the best opposition forward each week. He demands high standards of his defensive group and is the glue that holds them together. Callum Wilkie is adaptable and will become more complete when he better understands angles and the strengths of opposition smalls and talls he plays on. Hunter Clark and Jack Sinclair give the team some class and clarity when they dispose the ball out of defensive 50. Tom Highmore has the ability to become something special this year after another pre-season under his belt. My question is can Ben Long go to another level? On the back of Nick Coffield’s ACL injury, he has to. The big recruit for the Saints might be an off-field one, with new defensive coach Corey Enright already having a big impact on the group. Players generally become an extension of their coach and Enright brings plenty of composure, class and clarity.
St Kilda’s Dougal Howard is a competitor with All-Australian qualities. Picture: Michael Klein

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 21 Feb 2022 6:24pm The guy is a drunk

WGAF what he thinks
Same goes for all journalists

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Tue 22 Feb 2022 11:39am

WGAF what he thinks
During my working life, I often became familiar with the facts of events later reported on. The Jurno never seemed to get the story right. I have little regard for them as a profession.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 22 Feb 2022 12:02pm During my working life, I often became familiar with the facts of events later reported on. The Jurno never seemed to get the story right. I have little regard for them as a profession.
They are not held to account for the accuracy in their articles.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 22 Feb 2022 12:02pm
magnifisaint wrote: Tue 22 Feb 2022 11:39am

WGAF what he thinks
During my working life, I often became familiar with the facts of events later reported on. The Jurno never seemed to get the story right. I have little regard for them as a profession.
Is that why you are a devotee of the Hearald Sun Stinger.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 20 Feb 2022 1:20pm The only thing he said which was worth consideration is the damning stat of being 16th in centre clearance differential last year- it was/ is a real issue if we want to get up the ladder.
Given the well documented stuff up with the preseason preparation, the late start of Ryder, and Marshall's foot problem, I wonder what that differential looks like 1st half season vs 2nd half season?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 22 Feb 2022 11:18am 11. ST KILDA

The top-liners: Jack Sinclair (21 Games in 2021, 86 Average SuperCoach Score), Dougal Howard (21, 80), Hunter Clark (13, 74), Bradley Hill (22, 73), Callum Wilkie (22, 73), Tom Highmore (12, 68), Jimmy Webster (20, 67), Nick Coffield (16, 63), Ben Long (14, 45)

The top-ups: Leo Connolly (7, 42), Darragh Joyce (5, 42), Oscar Adams (0, 0), Matthew Allison (0, 0), Ben Paton (0, 0), Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (0, 0)

MICK SAYS

I like the makeup of the St Kilda backline. Dougal Howard has All-Australian qualities and is a competitor who doesn’t shirk the responsibility of playing on the best opposition forward each week. He demands high standards of his defensive group and is the glue that holds them together. Callum Wilkie is adaptable and will become more complete when he better understands angles and the strengths of opposition smalls and talls he plays on. Hunter Clark and Jack Sinclair give the team some class and clarity when they dispose the ball out of defensive 50. Tom Highmore has the ability to become something special this year after another pre-season under his belt. My question is can Ben Long go to another level? On the back of Nick Coffield’s ACL injury, he has to. The big recruit for the Saints might be an off-field one, with new defensive coach Corey Enright already having a big impact on the group. Players generally become an extension of their coach and Enright brings plenty of composure, class and clarity.
St Kilda’s Dougal Howard is a competitor with All-Australian qualities. Picture: Michael Klein
Yeah Wilkie get better...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="Harvey To Hayes" post_id=1939698 time=1645509993 user_id=339]
[quote=saynta post_id=1939685 time=1645489096 user_id=126]
11. ST KILDA

MICK SAYS

I like the makeup of the St Kilda backline. Dougal Howard has All-Australian qualities and is a competitor who doesn’t shirk the responsibility of playing on the best opposition forward each week. He demands high standards of his defensive group and is the glue that holds them together.[b] [b][b][size=150]Callum Wilkie is adaptable and will become more complete when he better understands angles and the strengths of opposition smalls and talls he plays on.[/size][/b][/b][/b] Hunter Clark and Jack Sinclair give the team some class and clarity when they dispose the ball out of defensive 50. Tom Highmore has the ability to become something special this year after another pre-season under his belt. My question is can Ben Long go to another level? On the back of Nick Coffield’s ACL injury, he has to. The big recruit for the Saints might be an off-field one, with new defensive coach Corey Enright already having a big impact on the group. Players generally become an extension of their coach and Enright brings plenty of composure, class and clarity.
[/quote]

Yeah Wilkie get better...
[/quote]

I couldn’t believe it when I read that angles comment about Wilkie. The accountant has his angles mastered and does everything perfectly. He has absolutely mastered the parabola too.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Look, you gotta like Mick. Good around bloke but a bit dim all the same. As in not too bright.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Terrible analysis but the ranking is realistic based on what we saw in 2021. I think our forward line can be top 5-6 in the comp this year.

Permanent key forwards: King, Membrey, Sharman
Rotating key forward/ruck: Marshall
Permanent small forwards: Butler, Higgins
Rotating small forward/mids: Gresham, Billings

That is a dynamic, dangerous mix of talent. I wouldn't mind seeing Steele continue to occasionally play a few minutes out of the goal-square as he did last season as well.