Vale John McIntosh

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: Vale John McIntosh

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 9:06pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 7:49pm
SaintPav wrote: Tue 19 Oct 2021 7:20pm Fascinating story.

What player from today would you compare him too?
None in my mind. There are plenty of "small" midfielders taller than him these days but none of them would be capable of having a crack at playing CHF, CHB and in the ruck. And none of them would dare be confident enough to consistently kick on their opposite foot for fear of fluffing it.

I rated his son Ashley as a truly great player during West Coast's golden era. But I rated his father a class above him. Think of the truly great West Australian players that played VFL during the 60's and 70's and, quite rightly, Polly Farmer, Barry Cable and Graham Moss would top most lists. An injury free John McIntosh would sit comfortably alongside those three.
I was only 6 or 7 at the time so I don't remember much of him but my old man was a big fan & he had a similar opinion that if he had of played in the 1971 GF Saints would have won & won easily that's how good he thought he was. Unfortunately my old man & John have both left our world & it's poorer place RIP John :cry:
Luckily, we are still here and have our memories.

Saint supporter since '62
scallopsroe
Club Player

scallopsroe wrote: Mon 18 Oct 2021 8:45am Wonderful player, could kick either side. Losing him in the 1971 Preliminary Final against ruined our 1971 GF hopes
Edit, he went down with a knee injury early in the last quarter in the second semi, the Saints were getting well beaten early in the game but nearly got over the line against a tiring Hawthorn in an exciting final quarter. What could have been for the Club only the footy gods will know.

Story of our finals campaigns from 1971 onwards, misfortune and bad luck.

George27
Club Player

My most vivid memory of John was from a game against Collingwood at Moorabbin in 1971. We won easily and Allan Davis kicked 10 goals many of which were courtesy of stab- passes ( left or right foot ) from John. He was an extraordinary talent.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

George27 wrote: Thu 21 Oct 2021 6:59pm My most vivid memory of John was from a game against Collingwood at Moorabbin in 1971. We won easily and Allan Davis kicked 10 goals many of which were courtesy of stab- passes ( left or right foot ) from John. He was an extraordinary talent.
I remember that game well because it was a huge crowd and the only way I could get a decent view was to park my bum on the four strands of barbed wire atop the cyclone fence at the Nepean Highway end. Sort of like sitting on a banana lounge crossed with a bed of nails! But I had an excellent view of the game. Flash Freddy played full forward and Macca just served it up lace out all day. We won easily. Extremely underated player Allan Davis, he kicked six in the Preliminary later that season against Richmond. He had five at half time on a bog track before Hafey wisened up and put Sheedy on him.

Only 5'11"" Davis but a strong mark and punched well above his weight.

Excellent tributes to John McIntosh that I have read from Russell Holmes by and, on Zero Hanger, from Stuart Trott.

Saint supporter since '62
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Aged 87

Apparently Hayden Bunton could kick both feet with equal precision and depth, but I never saw him play.

I did see Bobby Skilton and Ian Stewart. John McIntosh was the third person I saw play who could kick both feet. He could take a contested mark on the back line.

My recollection is that Ashley went to the Eagles under the father and son rule - which had been extended to games played in the WAFL.