Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunstan

skeptic wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 6:44pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 5:04pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:39pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:20pm Many claimed he wasn't AFL standard, then he came into the side and played very well and made those people (and more senior players) look silly...

Then the same people justified us getting rid of him by saying "See, no one is interested in picking him up!", then the reigning premiers do...

Will they admit they might be wrong about him?

Doubtful :)
I’d have preferred to keep him personally… came around on that following his late form

Not as bad as ppl are making out now but also pbly not as good as you’re saying either IMHO

Certainly good enough to be on the list and is better than a number of players on the list that we have kept
Spot on.

*cough*GearyRossLonieKent*cough*
All of those players have a significantly better attitude then him though

And to be honest, even with being written off this year and Luke being angry about it... he is primarily to blame IMO
Last time we worried more about off-field attitude instead of on-field performance we picked Paddy over Petracca… you think we would have learned!

I don’t really care if he’s a d**khead during the week, as long as he does well on the weekend!

And by the way, he’s one of our captains best mates, so I’m thinking the rumours about his attitude are overblown.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 7:04pm Also,

I hated Dunstan’s attitude this season

Fkn sook!!!

He’s had 8 years to cement a spot. Hasn’t done it because his ball use is putrid and he can’t defend on the outside!

11 votes
And dropped twice

Who knows more, umpires or coaches?!
He also comfortably came second for us in the AFLCA votes too, so…

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 8:07pm
B.M wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 7:04pm Also,

I hated Dunstan’s attitude this season

Fkn sook!!!

He’s had 8 years to cement a spot. Hasn’t done it because his ball use is putrid and he can’t defend on the outside!

11 votes
And dropped twice

Who knows more, umpires or coaches?!
He also comfortably came second for us in the AFLCA votes too, so…
demonland.com
They’re waiting for you😀

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 8:06pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:20pm Many claimed he wasn't AFL standard, then he came into the side and played very well and made those people (and more senior players) look silly...

Then the same people justified us getting rid of him by saying "See, no one is interested in picking him up!", then the reigning premiers do...

I’d have preferred to keep him personally… came around on that following his late form

Not as bad as ppl are making out now but also pbly not as good as you’re saying either IMHO

Certainly good enough to be on the list and is better than a number of players on the list that we have kept
Spot on.

And to be honest, even with being written off this year and Luke being angry about it... he is primarily to blame IMO
Last time we worried more about off-field attitude instead of on-field performance we picked Paddy over Petracca… you think we would have learned!

I don’t really care if he’s a d**khead during the week, as long as he does well on the weekend!

And by the way, he’s one of our captains best mates, so I’m thinking the rumours about his attitude are overblown.
I’m not so sure…
Am a bit cynical as to where the improvement has been over 3-4 years. Reckon his training/fitness has been iffy and that’s he pushed himself harder this year and seen the results. Just an opinion though

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 8:12pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 8:06pm

Spot on.

I’m not so sure…
Am a bit cynical as to where the improvement has been over 3-4 years. Reckon his training/fitness has been iffy and that’s he pushed himself harder this year and seen the results. Just an opinion though
Yeah, but I’m not too worried about why/where the improvement came from, just the fact it was there. The last 2 years he has more than earned his place on the field but continued to be dropped / not selected for other reasons. 100% I understand why he’d be pissed off about it.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 5:08pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 5:05pm
kosifantutti wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 5:01pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 4:35pm
I can't see a top 4 capable club picking him up. He is damaged goods with the question of why he was told he was gone in round 1 his baggage.

I can however see a club at the absolute bottom of a rebuild picking him up to be used as a mature bodied battering ram to provide safe passage for young and underdeveloped bodies through and around stoppages.
I don’t rate Melbourne as a top 4 side either.
I bet you were rubbing your hands together like an excited fly as you typed that out.
I only have two hands, so probably not.
Fly humour, the depth and diversity of SS comedic parlance knows no bounds.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Can we assume the general manager of AFL football performance at Melbourne FC rates Dunstan more highly than Ratten.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
happy feet
Club Player

At this point in time, all we should be saying is thank you Luke for your service to the StKilda Football Club. We wish you well at your new club.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 5:08pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 5:05pm
kosifantutti wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 5:01pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 4:35pm
I can't see a top 4 capable club picking him up. He is damaged goods with the question of why he was told he was gone in round 1 his baggage.

I can however see a club at the absolute bottom of a rebuild picking him up to be used as a mature bodied battering ram to provide safe passage for young and underdeveloped bodies through and around stoppages.
I don’t rate Melbourne as a top 4 side either.
I bet you were rubbing your hands together like an excited fly as you typed that out.
I only have two hands, so probably not.

ahhhhhhhh

poetry in motion

that there is some fine work

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

'n true

ty Dunny

good luck with the Dees

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Early hubris setting in at the Dees, perhaps?

Not sure what need he fills there? Backup/insurance only you would think? They have Viney for that type of role.

Maybe Richo trying to make himself feel important.

Good luck Luke.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Its pretty obvious richo saw (and still sees) a lot more upside in dunny than ratts did. maybe it was a personality clash, maybe purely about roles in the team. be interesting to see if he break into the first team, or is there purely as back up. good luck to him. battered himself week in, week out from day one for us, when he should have had more time developing his skills, fitness and strength in the vfl.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
BadRossco
Club Player

Believe he was a delisted free agent, we get zip another c**k up by our list managers and probably the first of many in the trade and draft period

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 10:20pm Believe he was a delisted free agent, we get zip another c**k up by our list managers and probably the first of many in the trade and draft period
The Age thought that too.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
8bloggs
Club Player

Thought he is unrestricted free agent but not delisted.
Think AFL website somewhere said a 2 year deal at Melbourne, but unknown yet if this will get us any compensation pick.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting...been on the list since 2014, never been in the best 22 and now we’re filthy that we’ve let a gun mid walk who was a just a late-bloomer.

Certainly set a new record there!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Dunstan was recruited to the Dees to do multiple jobs:
- during training, he will retrieve wayward kicks (perfect as he's done plenty himself)
- doing the heavy lifting (carrying players' luggage at airports
- carry water bottles onto the ground for Dees players
- drive the team bus

Have I forgotten anything?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
diddley
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 11:03pm Dunstan was recruited to the Dees to do multiple jobs:
- during training, he will retrieve wayward kicks (perfect as he's done plenty himself)
- doing the heavy lifting (carrying players' luggage at airports
- carry water bottles onto the ground for Dees players
- drive the team bus

Have I forgotten anything?
I’d do all of that and more for a average AFL wage. No complaints about the coaching either.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I'm staggered by the disrespect for Dunstan in this thread. It was Lenny Hayes remember who handed over his jumper to this man. It wasn't an accident. He played his heart out for us season after season and for a long time I thought he'd be our next skipper and certainly felt he was the ONLY player really playing for the jumper (I recall others jumping in and saying 'what about Seb' etc. but it was Dunstan close to tears at a loss, no one else). He was devastated the first time he was dropped to the twos and worked his bum off to try and get back as he has repeatedly the last few seasons to no avail. Obviously I have no idea about his attitude or off-field personality but I've no reason to doubt his own account that he could just never get on the coach's right side. I expect he was opinionated which wouldn't go down well with the king of the kids. What a fault! I hope and expect him to do well at the Dees. And I hope Dees fans value him a bit higher and show him a damned sight more respect than Saints fans on this site.

minneapolis
Club Player

I reckon Melb has wasted a list spot for a bloke that will play 5 games in 2 years.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I presume Ratts didn't rate him because Ratts wants a different kind of midfield, and has been pretty adamant about poor disposal being a problem. Dunstan is tough nut, but we need cream on the top in the midfield, otherwise we will just be treading water.

Saintly66
Club Player

Big whoop, bloke finally pulled his finger out of his arse…should’ve happened a long time ago. Good riddance

lewdogs
Club Player

freely wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 3:34am I'm staggered by the disrespect for Dunstan in this thread. It was Lenny Hayes remember who handed over his jumper to this man. It wasn't an accident. He played his heart out for us season after season and for a long time I thought he'd be our next skipper and certainly felt he was the ONLY player really playing for the jumper (I recall others jumping in and saying 'what about Seb' etc. but it was Dunstan close to tears at a loss, no one else). He was devastated the first time he was dropped to the twos and worked his bum off to try and get back as he has repeatedly the last few seasons to no avail. Obviously I have no idea about his attitude or off-field personality but I've no reason to doubt his own account that he could just never get on the coach's right side. I expect he was opinionated which wouldn't go down well with the king of the kids. What a fault! I hope and expect him to do well at the Dees. And I hope Dees fans value him a bit higher and show him a damned sight more respect than Saints fans on this site.
He was happy to give us a clip on the way out so why shouldn't we?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 8:48am
freely wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 3:34am I'm staggered by the disrespect for Dunstan in this thread. It was Lenny Hayes remember who handed over his jumper to this man. It wasn't an accident. He played his heart out for us season after season and for a long time I thought he'd be our next skipper and certainly felt he was the ONLY player really playing for the jumper (I recall others jumping in and saying 'what about Seb' etc. but it was Dunstan close to tears at a loss, no one else). He was devastated the first time he was dropped to the twos and worked his bum off to try and get back as he has repeatedly the last few seasons to no avail. Obviously I have no idea about his attitude or off-field personality but I've no reason to doubt his own account that he could just never get on the coach's right side. I expect he was opinionated which wouldn't go down well with the king of the kids. What a fault! I hope and expect him to do well at the Dees. And I hope Dees fans value him a bit higher and show him a damned sight more respect than Saints fans on this site.
Was it a 'clip' or was he just being honest? I don't think there was anything said that wasn't already widely known.

Also interesting quote from Melbourne... "We think Luke’s best football is ahead of him and just as importantly, Luke is a terrific cultural fit for our club."

So he's a 'terrific culture fit' at the Premiers but apparently this was the reason Ratts got rid of him... what does that say?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 8:58am
lewdogs wrote: Thu 07 Oct 2021 8:48am
Was it a 'clip' or was he just being honest? I don't think there was anything said that wasn't already widely known.

Also interesting quote from Melbourne... "We think Luke’s best football is ahead of him and just as importantly, Luke is a terrific cultural fit for our club."

So he's a 'terrific culture fit' at the Premiers but apparently this was the reason Ratts got rid of him... what does that say?
Standard line rattled off when anyone is picked up. Let me guess you believe the clubs after the draft when they say they kid they got at 75 they rated in the top few in the draft.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL