Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunstan

So is this a case of ex-coach (Richo) picks up one of his old troops?

It happens sometimes, but how often does it succeed?

Of course it is case by case.

With 11 Brownlow votes, even a whiff of success at Melbourne will be more ammo for the media mortars aimed at Moorabbin. Lol

Count on Luke being picked for Melbourne when they play us…and a pic on the back of the Sun of Richo and Luke smiling.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 12:57pm So is this a case of ex-coach (Richo) picks up one of his old troops?

It happens sometimes, but how often does it succeed?

Of course it is case by case.

With 11 Brownlow votes, even a whiff of success at Melbourne will be more ammo for the media mortars aimed at Moorabbin. Lol

Count on Luke being picked for Melbourne when they play us…and a pic on the back of the Sun of Richo and Luke smiling.
Maybe they can rookie Paddy McCartin as well?
Might as well get the band back together.

therabbitinthehat
Club Player

It's interesting the perception he has built up externally through the media to opposition supporters.
Had a Demon supporting mate laughing at the saints on our footy chat saying we were giving away our 2nd best player for free to them. Me and the other saint supporter were both pretty baffled at that as neither of really rate him as anything more than a guy who can get the ball a lot but do very little with it.

Demon supporter was spouting all the usual stats, and I can kind of see why opposition supporters don't understand why we would get rid of him based purely on those numbers. As soon as I told him to look at the negatively rated stats (effective disp, clangers, FA's, etc.) he quickly agreed that yes, if he went to demonland at best he'll be a depth player lucky to get on the ground purely through injuries. It also shows why 15 other teams have 0 interest in a player that according to all the media should theoretically walk into a starting midfield for little cost.

Dunny seems like an ok bloke, maybe a bit petulant (honestly who wouldn't be if they were told they were of no use), but I can't say I ever loved or hated him which kind of summed up his footballing for me; I barely noticed him and neither did the opposition.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

therabbitinthehat wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 1:37pm It's interesting the perception he has built up externally through the media to opposition supporters.
Had a Demon supporting mate laughing at the saints on our footy chat saying we were giving away our 2nd best player for free to them. Me and the other saint supporter were both pretty baffled at that as neither of really rate him as anything more than a guy who can get the ball a lot but do very little with it.

Demon supporter was spouting all the usual stats, and I can kind of see why opposition supporters don't understand why we would get rid of him based purely on those numbers. As soon as I told him to look at the negatively rated stats (effective disp, clangers, FA's, etc.) he quickly agreed that yes, if he went to demonland at best he'll be a depth player lucky to get on the ground purely through injuries. It also shows why 15 other teams have 0 interest in a player that according to all the media should theoretically walk into a starting midfield for little cost.

Dunny seems like an ok bloke, maybe a bit petulant (honestly who wouldn't be if they were told they were of no use), but I can't say I ever loved or hated him which kind of summed up his footballing for me; I barely noticed him and neither did the opposition.
Picture this:

Dunny plays every game of the H&A season of 2022 in the midfield for the Dees and averages around 25 to 30 per game and then plays out of his arse in the final series and also polls high in the Norm Smith medal as the Dees go back to back. The next day there are pictures everywhere in the media of Richo and Dunny in a firm embrace holding up the premiership cup.

What happens next?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 3:01pm
therabbitinthehat wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 1:37pm It's interesting the perception he has built up externally through the media to opposition supporters.

Picture this:

Dunny plays every game of the H&A season of 2022 in the midfield for the Dees and averages around 25 to 30 per game and then plays out of his arse in the final series and also polls high in the Norm Smith medal as the Dees go back to back. The next day there are pictures everywhere in the media of Richo and Dunny in a firm embrace holding up the premiership cup.

What happens next?
You wake up?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Just curious Rabbit,
What was your demon mate think of Dean Kent?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 3:12pm

Just curious Rabbit,

What do you think of Dean Kent? I think that is more relevant to this forum as frankly I couldn't give a rats what any demon thought.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 3:03pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 3:01pm
Picture this:

What happens next?
You wake up?
Ok so transcending my inner Maxwell Smart..."would you believe"

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Actually not that hard to believe.

That the reigning premiers with a stacked midfield see value in a contested ball brute.

They can play Petracca more outside or spit forward like Dusty while Dunstan sits underneath Gawn for the tap and handball.

All pre-rationalizing aside, he could well play in a premiership

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Faulky63
Club Player

Deal Confirmed.
FORMER Saint Luke Dunstan will play on in 2022, being acquired by Melbourne as a delisted free agent.

Laurie
Club Player

To all those that rubbished Dunny he will be a better player in a very good side like Melbourne.
May even go on to play in a premiership team like other ex saints players have.

Well done Dees will be a good pickup for you.

BOOM BOOM

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Laurie wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 3:52pm To all those that rubbished Dunny he will be a better player in a very good side like Melbourne.
May even go on to play in a premiership team like other ex saints players have.

Well done Dees will be a good pickup for you.

BOOM BOOM
He won't be a better player. He just won't look as bad.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

C ya later Dunny. Don't let the door hit ya where god split ya.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1023740/ ... nk-dunstan

"St Kilda Football Club has today officially parted ways with Luke Dunstan, with the 26-year-old free agent signing with Melbourne Football Club.

The Saints and Dunstan reached a mutual agreement at season’s end to explore alternate options for the midfielder.

“We thank Luke for the toughness, competitiveness and passion that he has shown for St Kilda over his 116 games,” Head of List Management James Gallagher said.

“We wish Luke all the best for this new chapter of his career.”

Dunstan joined the Saints with Pick No. 18 in the 2013 National Draft.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I always thought ratten was a <edited by mods>. Now it's confirmed.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Only thing I’m really interested in is what compo we receive.
An unrestricted free agent or a delisted free agent? We didn’t delist him did we?
Report says delisted F.A. But didn’t we keep him on the list so we could receive compo losing an unrestricted F.A.
Last edited by st.byron on Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yep, must be no good, only been picked up by the reigning premiers...

Melbourne must be laughing their arses off with all the free kicks we keep giving them!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:04pm Only thing I’m really interested in is what compo we receive.
Probably nothing if it is only a one year deal for not much. Hope to hell I'm wrong though.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

We are 100% better off playing Bytel and Byrnes, not someone who cost us a game and a possible finals place when he decided that the three saints players within handballing distance were not worth his largess.

Maybe he will bring the Dees team back to the rest of the pack. One can only hope. :wink:
Last edited by saynta on Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

It's tipped the Saints won't receive compensation for Dunstan but the AFL are checking their Slide Rule to see if that is factual.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to Luke.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Faulky63 wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 3:51pm Deal Confirmed.
FORMER Saint Luke Dunstan will play on in 2022, being acquired by Melbourne as a delisted free agent.
Really? We were told he's no good - no club will take him, bound for the SANFL :shock:

All the best to Dunstan
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
amusingname
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 3:17pm

Just curious Rabbit,

What do you think of Dean Kent? I think that is more relevant to this forum as frankly I couldn't give a rats what any demon thought.
So no discussion of any other viewpoints should happen because you don’t ‘give a rats’ what anyone but saints fans think? I presume no further opinions from TAC cup experts or state leagues fans will be needed either? Content is going to be slim pickings I guess!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:12pm
saynta wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 3:17pm

Just curious Rabbit,

So no discussion of any other viewpoints should happen because you don’t ‘give a rats’ what anyone but saints fans think?
You got me. :lol: But then. only the saints fans that agree with me. :wink: :wink:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 06 Oct 2021 4:06pm Yep, must be no good, only been picked up by the reigning premiers...

Melbourne must be laughing their arses off with all the free kicks we keep giving them!
Given they lost any depth they had with Jones and Vanderberg going having Dunstan in the VFL is depth makes sense. We have more mid depth than Melbourne.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CarlTaughtMeEnglish
Club Player

Will be interesting to see how Dunstan goes after a preseason with Melbourne’s clearly superior fitness staff. He might add two way running to his grunt work. Given he only needs to handball it out to Oliver so his kicking won’t be a factor he will likely shine… if he can break into the premiership team.
Good luck to him.

Hopefully compensation we receive will allow us to get both academy picks. Three new midfield playing kids - hopefully one will be a star and make this trade look like a win win.