Tony Elshaug Criminal Negligence

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tony Elshaug Criminal Negligence

damienc wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 1:47pm
saynta wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 12:48pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 12:45pm I suspect a lot of forum members took several hours to cry themselves to sleep last night.
I was more pissed off than sad.

Don't have too many years left.
Likewise

:wink:

Just one more flag and I can die happy.

I remember an old Saints supporting neighbour of our when I was growing up saying the same thing.

I hope he did. :wink: :D

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

damienc wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 1:51pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 12:45pm I suspect a lot of forum members took several hours to cry themselves to sleep last night.
Some of us have a higher threshold than you for stupidity.
Exactly. Higher threshold or higher tolerance of stupidity.

Saint supporter since '62
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 1:58pm
27 Wooden Spoons! A record that will never be broken!
Well at least that means we will never win another one ;)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

This idiot will never have a meaningful job in football again. He's embarrassed himself. That's his legacy.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 8:58pm
So why does it mean we won't win another one ? :?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne were hopeless at recruiting year after year. They threw games to get better draft picks then wasted them on spuds.
They sacked coaches and replaced them with duds. Even the AFL knew they were a basket case.

Roos and Jackson were installed/selected at Melbourne to start the journey of turning the club around.
It was going to be a huge task, then Roos said he was only staying 3 years so they needed a succession plan.
Roos wanted Dew but Sydney wouldn't release him so eventually Roos settled on Goodwin as his successor.

Goodwin was looking like a failure but with clever recruiting and the right mix of assistant coaches they turned it around
and now they have a flag. Good on them for finally breaking their drought.

The names might be different but a lot of that saga has been happening at St Kilda, we look like we're way off being flag contenders
but there a lot of good football people working at Moorabbin to get this club a flag, it's not an easy assignment but they are working on it.

Let's hope this off season they don't go looking for GOP's as an easy fix, they need to bring in quality players.
Maybe our club is on a similar journey.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 10:37pm
saintsRrising wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 8:58pm
So why does it mean we won't win another one ? :?
Because for us to win the 28th we would have to break our own record. So if the current record will never be broken, we cannot win another spoon ;)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Josh Battle
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 2:39am Melbourne were hopeless at recruiting year after year. They threw games to get better draft picks then wasted them on spuds.
They sacked coaches and replaced them with duds. Even the AFL knew they were a basket case.

Roos and Jackson were installed/selected at Melbourne to start the journey of turning the club around.
It was going to be a huge task, then Roos said he was only staying 3 years so they needed a succession plan.
Roos wanted Dew but Sydney wouldn't release him so eventually Roos settled on Goodwin as his successor.

Goodwin was looking like a failure but with clever recruiting and the right mix of assistant coaches they turned it around
and now they have a flag. Good on them for finally breaking their drought.

The names might be different but a lot of that saga has been happening at St Kilda, we look like we're way off being flag contenders
but there a lot of good football people working at Moorabbin to get this club a flag, it's not an easy assignment but they are working on it.

Let's hope this off season they don't go looking for GOP's as an easy fix, they need to bring in quality players.
Maybe our club is on a similar journey.
Spot on. Quality is the key. Patience is important too grasshopper

Let’s hope the aim isn’t just making the 8 or winning a final. Let’s plan for a full blown assault on the bloody cup!!

There are people who are delusional and believe that we have the squad to challenge Port, Geelong, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, GWS , the Swans, Essendon and Richmond and West Coast. I don’t think we have the maturity or the depth or the talent that some of these teams possess.

We must build the foundations and let this squad grow and improve together and I reckon we should be ready in 2024 or 2025.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 1:59pm
Kick-it-lace-out wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 1:54pm Alan Richardson and Tony Elshaugh set this club back for decades, and our administration are just as culpable for not intervening earlier. Ratten et al have had to bring in ready made recruits from other clubs just to make us competitive.
Agree with this to a point. We absolutely had to improve immediately post Richo, fans, the club could not take any more of the same so for that, we couldn't afford to hit the draft again.

I don't however level as much blame on Richo as some here. The recruiting was terrible over his period and he had an atrociously poor team with little if any talent of note.

I blame the recruiting and list management more. Richo gave it his all and cared about this club while he was here - It didn't go well for him but he had all the right intentions and with a better list things may have been different.

That's my opinion anyway.
How dare Richo celebrate a premiership with Petracca.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne got their hands on Petracca and Oliver when they had real early draft picks.
They got those right.
St Kilda won't get players of that quality at pick 9 which will become 11 on the night.
Trout & Co. blew an entire generation cycle when they took Paddy McNothing ahead of Petracca, and Billings ahead of Bontempelli.
Yes you may need to be lucky too to get them right.
But get those two picks right St Kilda would have been a destination club and have a premiership by now.

There are 17 other clubs that want a premiership.
Now we must wait for a new generation and get the picks right with or without luck.
I fear I will not live that long.

That's why I want to fillet a Trout.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 11:51am In every interview I’ve seen with Petracca he comes across as a ripper kid!!!
Yes but he didn't call Trout "sir", didn't show enough respect to the important recruiter with the No1 draft pick.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Is this the lockdown thread equivalent of drowning witches. Gawn won the premiership for Melbourne not Tony the Fool by something he didn't do.

Being stupid is not a criminal offence. Trout did not neglect his job, he did it very poorly, like our goal kicking often is. Any negligence belongs to those that gave him licence.

In the foreseeable we will not be getting number 1 pick, nevertheless if you have a combination like Trout, Richo and Bains deciding things and a disengaged CEO it is a perfect once in one hundred year cluster f**** scenario. Unless you have time travelling capability and can know for certain then the proposition that Saints choose CP then Saints go top in 2021 and/or Melbourne don't is the longest bow drawn for a while - even given the nonsense pumped out all the time by SEN and Fox Footy.

I hate myself for being drawn into this never ending vendetta but am having trouble getting my head around the fact that so many can not let it go. You know its too late to change what happened so long ago no matter how much gnashing of teeth, keening, cursing and insults get thrown. Or perhaps not, which would mean what? We could partner with that tribe in Vanuatu and have the Prince Phillip and the Christian Petracca Unfulfilled Prophesy Movements.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Billings before Bontempelli and MaCartin before Petracca fade into insignificance compared with Tambling before Franklin. :lol: :lol: :lol:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 11:19am Billings before Bontempelli and MaCartin before Petracca fade into insignificance compared with Tambling before Franklin. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Recruiting Jack Watts with their no 1 pick in stead of Nic Nat was also excellent recruiting by Melbourne....NOT. :oops:

Melbourne simply got lucky with Petracca because of our stupidity.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

While Petracca is pretty good, he fell into Melbourne's lap. His red-headed mate was a great pick though. He went earlier than most expected.
Those 2 are the draft building blocks that changed Melbourne's fortunes and while Petracca's best is the best, Oliver is a beast.

Furphy
Club Player

Most wooden spoons, longest premiership drought, don't say we have nothing to brag about! Reminds me of that WWI comedy with Frankie Howerd where a group of girls hand him a white feather, he then goes home and says with pride "another heirloom to the collection!" pulls open a drawer and a pile of white feathers come billowing out...

Sanctorum
Club Player

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote: Mon 27 Sep 2021 11:19am Billings before Bontempelli and MaCartin before Petracca fade into insignificance compared with Tambling before Franklin. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Worse still.........picking David Armitage at #9 in 2008 ahead of Jack Riewoldt #13 - just imagine Jack Riewoldt, Bontempelli & Petracca in the RWB in the past 6 years :roll: :roll: :roll:

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist