A COVID Cup is a Dud

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: A COVID Cup is a Dud

76 points....EPIC!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 11:07pm 76 points....EPIC!
Look how much the players don’t care about winning tho… :shock:

:lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Well I can tell you what turned out to be a dud. The Western Bulldogs.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Incredible passion shown by the Melbourne players, staff & supporters. A fantastic way to break a drought. Surely all this talk about an asterisk or Covid Cup can be put down as pure trolling.

How many times can the same topic be regurgitated by the same poster under a different nic?

Is this the reason new posters need 100 points of ID plus two nominations and a guarantor before they can post on here?

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 12:37pm I’d taken ANY premiership
Same

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 11:22pm
B.M wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 12:37pm I’d taken ANY premiership
Same
Plus one

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yep, look how much they all don’t care at all about the ‘COVID cup’… LOL

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 11:20pm Incredible passion shown by the Melbourne players, staff & supporters. A fantastic way to break a drought. Surely all this talk about an asterisk or Covid Cup can be put down as pure trolling.

How many times can the same topic be regurgitated by the same poster under a different nic?

Is this the reason new posters need 100 points of ID plus two nominations and a guarantor before they can post on here?
Passion my arse, the DOGS stopped at 3 quarter time and conceded a record score in a quarter of football in a GF, and by some marging which is the first time in the history of the game.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 11:33pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 11:20pm Incredible passion shown by the Melbourne players, staff & supporters. A fantastic way to break a drought. Surely all this talk about an asterisk or Covid Cup can be put down as pure trolling.

Passion my arse, the DOGS stopped at 3 quarter time and conceded a record score in a quarter of football in a GF, and by some marging which is the first time in the history of the game.
Great final.
Epic win by Melbourne.

Your Covid Cup rant is bunch of bull sh$t, but congratulations for trolling it effectively.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 11:43pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 25 Sep 2021 11:33pm

Great final.
Epic win by Melbourne.

Your Covid Cup rant is bunch of bull sh$t, but congratulations for trolling it effectively.
EPIC

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

100 points to 7 points in 45 minutes of footy in a grand final

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It was a bonafide win but the season must have taken its toll you would think because the Dogs just rolled over after they realised they had no chance.

What a strange game.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
takeaway
Club Player

Why trolling? Valid points, I think.

The AFL did remarkably well in cobbling together a season that was under severe threat on a number of occasions. It is true that the players showed a passion befitting a GF, but they are professionals and it was still officially an AFL premiership on offer. Had to be, got to keep the masses entertained and generate some money. They made the best of things, which is a positive.

But in a season where planning is virtually out the window, clubs only knowing at short notice when and where they are playing, often playing with no or minimal crowds, clubs whizzing all over the country, often stuck interstate for months away from family (ie Bulldogs), it is certainly a diminished product. Even most members/fans who would normally attend the match to barrack for their team were not able to attend. Bulldogs were even disadvantaged in the pre GF build up period as per article below.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... 988623b40f

In what was a strange match and not a typical GF, (not unexpectedly), the Western Nomads understandably ran out of puff, and were thrashed in the end by the more settled Demons.

I don't think Covid Cup is the right term, that was last year, and already has an asterisk, maybe Cobble Cup? Compromise Cup? No, not really happy with those terms, but imo the 2020 and 2021 cups will not polish up as well as others, and will always have an asterisk.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I say trolling takeaway because the author even admitted they posted "with mischievous in mind". The same author that has banged on ad nauseum, under different nics, for two years now. Either starting a thread about it or polluting other threads with the ideology.

I think people are looking for a way to diminish an achievement. An achievement made under incredibly hard circumstances. Melbourne, like Richmond last year, adapted best and conquered. The Dogs had no answer to Melbourne's fitness or midfield brilliance. Why diminish that?

The AFL is not an even, fair, transparent competition in years not effected by a pandemic. I do not believe 2020 or 2021 to be different in that respect. Every team had an opportunity to adjust, Richmond and Melbourne did it better than all the others.

takeaway
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 11:49am I say trolling takeaway because the author even admitted they posted "with mischievous in mind". The same author that has banged on ad nauseum, under different nics, for two years now. Either starting a thread about it or polluting other threads with the ideology.

I think people are looking for a way to diminish an achievement. An achievement made under incredibly hard circumstances. Melbourne, like Richmond last year, adapted best and conquered. The Dogs had no answer to Melbourne's fitness or midfield brilliance. Why diminish that?

The AFL is not an even, fair, transparent competition in years not effected by a pandemic. I do not believe 2020 or 2021 to be different in that respect. Every team had an opportunity to adjust, Richmond and Melbourne did it better than all the others.
Possibly true re Vortex, but valid points were raised, and I am not bothered by his posts.

I agree the AFL is never an even, fair competition but the last two years has suffered even more compromises, making it less of a level playing field.

I prefer a season where teams do not have to ADAPT to anything but pure football issues, so I regard 2020 and 21 as diminished, so we disagree in that context. Congrats though to Melbourne, who could only compete in what was available, and proved to be the best team in the circumstances.

Hope 2022 gets back to some sort of normal.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I saw some of the players from Melbourne celebrating with their family and friends at Optus Stadium. I saw lots of genuine Melbourne fans and members celebrating at the ground.

We are playing a national game where players family and friends are situated in remote towns and in the capital cities all around the country

Every year there are hurdles and obstacles for both teams to overcome to be able to get there, let alone to win it

Every year there are fans and relatives that miss out on getting into the ground or getting to Melbourne to celebrate with the players.

If you want to try and find asterisks, I’m sure there’d be a dozen or more in the history of the VFL/AFL and in most sports

My view and opinion hasn’t changed regarding the op

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

I wonder if all that travelling the Dogs did over the last 4-5 weeks finally caught up with them, because they just stopped and Melbourne did what any good team does, take full advantage of it.
I have never seen a game turn so quickly in my life. How many thought when the Dogs got 19 points up thought the Dogs were going to go on with it?

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 4:40pm I wonder if all that travelling the Dogs did over the last 4-5 weeks finally caught up with them, because they just stopped and Melbourne did what any good team does, take full advantage of it.
I have never seen a game turn so quickly in my life. How many thought when the Dogs got 19 points up thought the Dogs were going to go on with it?
I did, and I was more than happy. That turned, in the blink of an eye, to dismay.

The doggies stopped as of they had been shot. Unbelievable really. so I think you must be right.

Unlike others, can't bring myself to congratulate the Dees. Just don't feel like it.

They finished 17th in 2019 FFS. :roll:

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 5:23pm
Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 4:40pm I wonder if all that travelling the Dogs did over the last 4-5 weeks finally caught up with them, because they just stopped and Melbourne did what any good team does, take full advantage of it.
I did, and I was more than happy. That turned, in the blink of an eye, to dismay.

The doggies stopped as of they had been shot. Unbelievable really. so I think you must be right.

Unlike others, can't bring myself to congratulate the Dees. Just don't feel like it.

They finished 17th in 2019 FFS.
:roll:
I actually find that part rather comforting. Shows how quickly a team can turn around and become elite.

We've got many of the pieces in place to do the same thing I think as long as we get a bit lucky and get a bit smarter with our recruits.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

You are clearly a free thinker.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 6:45pm
saynta wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 5:23pm

They finished 17th in 2019 FFS.
:roll:
I actually find that part rather comforting. Shows how quickly a team can turn around and become elite.

We've got many of the pieces in place to do the same thing I think as long as we get a bit lucky and get a bit smarter with our recruits.
100 points to 7 points in 45 minutes.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teams that have to battle to make the 8 and have to fight tooth and nail to get there usually run out of puff in the Elimination final or in the second week in the Semis

Teams that have to play interstate and travel in consecutive weeks usually struggle after the 3rd week of finals

Teams who finish outside the top 4 or who make it to a Grand Final after 3 tough matches are usually mentally and physically exhausted by that stage

The Demons won 10 in a row at the start of this year and spent most of the year on top of the ladder - they finished the home and away rounds in 1st place

Teams that play a qualifying Final and win; then a Prelim and win; and have been the dominant team for most of the year…. it is not unusual for them to dominate a Grand Final

All normal occurrences and all scenarios that will be repeated in years to come whether the Grand Final is played in Melbourne or elsewhere

The only abnormal thing here is someone who thinks that Melbourne players and supporters and members do not value the 2021 Premiership Cup

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Great game for 3 quarters one of the best GF you could hope for. The Bullies gave it their best shot but ran out of petrol tickets they had been all over Australia in 3 weeks & IMO they were physically & mentally broken in the last 5 minutes of the 3 quarter . The last quarter they had nothing left to give & Melbourne deservedly wiped the floor . Just goes to show finish on top win your first final & enjoy the advantage that gives you. Dogs played in Tassie in the wet up to Brissy to play a phyical tight game then to Adelaide to play Port with a home ground advantage then on to Perth to play the Dee's who had already been there for almost 3 weeks acclimatizing to the conditions & resting up I can see why they got tired

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 11:04pm Great game for 3 quarters one of the best GF you could hope for. The Bullies gave it their best shot but ran out of petrol tickets they had been all over Australia in 3 weeks & IMO they were physically & mentally broken in the last 5 minutes of the 3 quarter . The last quarter they had nothing left to give & Melbourne deservedly wiped the floor . Just goes to show finish on top win your first final & enjoy the advantage that gives you. Dogs played in Tassie in the wet up to Brissy to play a phyical tight game then to Adelaide to play Port with a home ground advantage then on to Perth to play the Dee's who had already been there for almost 3 weeks acclimatizing to the conditions & resting up I can see why they got tired
Anything but a level playing field and no wonder 100 to 7 points was scored in 45 minutes of footy.

It is something that has never been seen in the history of the game.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sun 26 Sep 2021 11:04pm Great game for 3 quarters one of the best GF you could hope for. The Bullies gave it their best shot but ran out of petrol tickets they had been all over Australia in 3 weeks & IMO they were physically & mentally broken in the last 5 minutes of the 3 quarter . The last quarter they had nothing left to give & Melbourne deservedly wiped the floor . Just goes to show finish on top win your first final & enjoy the advantage that gives you. Dogs played in Tassie in the wet up to Brissy to play a phyical tight game then to Adelaide to play Port with a home ground advantage then on to Perth to play the Dee's who had already been there for almost 3 weeks acclimatizing to the conditions & resting up I can see why they got tired
Yep, the doggies had nothing left to give.

I turned it off after the dees started to get a run on. Couldn't bear to see the doggies who I don't like anyway, get their noses rubbed in s***. Never done that before, ever.

Lost what little interest I had in the game to start with, then and there.

No joy there for me.

Glad to see a season which promised so much but delivered nothing, finally over.