Saints delistings as at 22 September

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints delistings as at 22 September

St Kilda

Dylan Roberton — Retired. Pulled the pin in March, putting his family first after attempting a comeback from serious heart issues. Roberton played 92 games for St Kilda after joining the club from Fremantle (37 games) at the end of 2012.

Jake Carlisle — Retired. Key defender played 151 games at the Bombers and Saints.

Shaun McKernan — Delisted. former Bomber and Crow got an extra year after being offered a lifeline by the Saints but his career ends after 91 games over 12 seasons.

James Frawley — Retired. Hanging up the boots for a second time after 139 games with Melbourne, 139 for Hawthorn — including the 2015 premiership — and two for the Saints.

Oscar Clavarino — Delisted. Finally broke through for his senior debut in 2021, his fouth year on the list, and played five games in defence.

Sam Alabaskis — Delisted. The category B rookie didn’t manage a senior game but at 211cm, he is the equal-tallest player ever to be on an AFL list.

NOTE. Dunstan has not been delisted at this stage.

Vazelos
Club Player

Re: Saints delistings as at 22 September

Still decisions to be made on-

Kent
Lonie
Ross
Hunter

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Vazelos wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 8:47am Still decisions to be made on-

Kent
Lonie
Ross
Hunter
Ross has been offered a contract so that will be his decision the other 3 will more than likely be looking for new clubs IMO

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 9:03am
Vazelos wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 8:47am Still decisions to be made on-

Kent
Lonie
Ross
Hunter
Ross has been offered a contract so that will be his decision the other 3 will more than likely be looking for new clubs IMO
Lonie, gone. Kent a maybe. Ross will sign a new contract. Dunstan gone. Hunter to be kept as back up on a one year contact. Battle, who knows.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Battle was developing well under AR, and had just about staked his claim on the CHB position.
Looked confident, and poised in a key position ... he was taking strong marks and turning defence into attack with his beautiful, long kicks.

What has happened since? His confidence looks shot.

We've seen where Hind has taken his game at Essendon - no wonder Dunstan is hoping to be picked up by them (he would also see what's happened to Battle).

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Essendon r 1 of the sides we need to drop out of the 8?

Can't possibly sing their praises.

They rely heavily on Stringers form against top sides. We don't miss Hind really and won't miss Lukey boy.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Who's singing their praises?
Hind has succeeded at Essendon of all clubs (take it that way) ... when we had given up on him.

wally
Club Player

I can’t remember anyone this time last year suggesting Hind replace either Clarke or Coffield on the half back line .

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 11:47am Who's singing their praises?
Hind has succeeded at Essendon of all clubs (take it that way) ... when we had given up on him.
Strange comment IMHO
We offered Hind a new contract
Essendon offered him a better one

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Nothing strange.
You're missing the point too, Mr Magic.

We had given up on him developing and becoming a very good player.

At Essendon (of all places), Hind became an awesome player. He's now at a whole different level.
Essendon knew how to get the best/most out of him.

And we're now not getting the best out of Battle ... and probably given up on him becoming a very good player.
Even though he was tracking that way (under AR).

I was expecting a break-out year from Battle - I think we all were.

derby Street
Club Player

samoht wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 4:58pm Nothing strange.
You're missing the point too, Mr Magic.

We had given up on him developing and becoming a very good player.

At Essendon (of all places), Hind became an awesome player. He's now at a whole different level.
Essendon knew how to get the best/most out of him.

And we're now not getting the best out of Battle ... and probably given up on him becoming a very good player.
Even though he was tracking that way (under AR).

I was expecting a break-out year from Battle - I think we all were.
Why did the dopers let Hind go in the first place? Wanted someone else to develop him first or didn't rate him?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 1:42pm I can’t remember anyone this time last year suggesting Hind replace either Clarke or Coffield on the half back line .
The Saints never played Hind on the half back line, they weren't smart enough to work out that's his position, they tried to turn him into a forward.

That was just dumb. Essendon knew he was a HBF, that's where he played in their VFL team, that's where they put him when they got him back.

Let's hope Carroll and Enright smarten them up.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
samoht
Saintsational Legend

Who knows why they let him go back then and who made that decision - do they have the same personnel in their development department at Essendon?

... but we couldn't develop him any further.

We returned him at the same level as he came to us - and whoever is now in charge of or involved in the development program there - they sure took him to a whole different level.

Maybe they learned from their initial mistake - but the same token, are we learning anything?
Are we improving - who cares about Essendon!

Or is Battle someone we're similarly giving up on? For no good reason?
Last edited by samoht on Fri 24 Sep 2021 5:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 5:42pm Who knows why they let him go back then and who made that decision - do they have the same personnel in their development department at Essendon?

... but we couldn't develop him any further.

We returned him at the same level as he came to us - and whoever is now in charge of or involved in the development program there - they sure took him to a whole different level.

Maybe they learned from their initial mistake - but the same token, are we learning anything?
Or is Battle our next Hind?
We couldn't develop full stop, that's why Carroll was a priority.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
older saint
SS Life Member

I am wondering with the delistings whether Battle is being set for the 3rd tall defensive role ? He is only 193 but if taught to use his body could play that rolling off player and we always hear about his tank.
I struggle to see where else he fits in a best 22 as too slow for the wing in the current game and not better than King or Membery ( assuming Marshall and second ruck playing) as tall forward.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 6:50pm I am wondering with the delistings whether Battle is being set for the 3rd tall defensive role ? He is only 193 but if taught to use his body could play that rolling off player and we always hear about his tank.
I struggle to see where else he fits in a best 22 as too slow for the wing in the current game and not better than King or Membery ( assuming Marshall and second ruck playing) as tall forward.
Battle is 193cm so Saints supporters say he's not big enough to be a Key Defender and yet at Sydney Melican is 193cm, McCartin is 193cm and Rampe is 189cm and any 2 of those 3 play Key Back for the Swans.
Steven May for Melbourne is 193cm and he plays Key Back.

I haven't looked for anymore examples.

I always find that interesting.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 8:26pm
older saint wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 6:50pm I am wondering with the delistings whether Battle is being set for the 3rd tall defensive role ? He is only 193 but if taught to use his body could play that rolling off player and we always hear about his tank.
Battle is 193cm so Saints supporters say he's not big enough to be a Key Defender and yet at Sydney Melican is 193cm, McCartin is 193cm and Rampe is 189cm and any 2 of those 3 play Key Back for the Swans.
Steven May for Melbourne is 193cm and he plays Key Back.

I haven't looked for anymore examples.

I always find that interesting.
Roo was 193cm. Didnt see any suggestions he was too small to play a key position . Saying someone who is 193cm is too small is pure bulls***.

f*** all in it between 195cm and 193cm

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Nick Reiwoldt is taller than Josh Battle

Listed heights are inaccurate

That being said

Some players, play tall, some don’t

Nick Coffield and Blake Acres 190cm don’t play tall

Cal Wilkie 191cm does

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Some players can jump and reach, so their ‘leap and grab’ height is really what counts. Nick R was a tall 193 and the fella we chopped last year Howard? was not. Members is a giant for 193 ..Ypu know Parker was 193 and everyone called him ‘a small forward’. But he leaped..(often in front of a better positioned player! whoops sorry Matty)

How tall was George Young?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Does St Kilda weigh and measure the height of it's players or does it just put random figures on it's players page.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

The view that hind was developed by Essendon miraculously over one season is hilarious.

In terms of moving him to the backline, I'm still not sure he would be a starting back for us without injuries.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 10:21pm In terms of moving him to the backline, I'm still not sure he would be a starting back for us without injuries.
We'll never know, at least the Bummers had more faith in him than we did.
They supposedly recruited him to fill the spot that Saad vacated and he did a good job, his way, or under instruction.

Josh Battle
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 9:04pm Does St Kilda weigh and measure the height of it's players or does it just put random figures on it's players page.

How tall is Brandon White?

Yeah, nah…don’t answer that!! I am just kidding

Josh Battle
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 10:21pm The view that hind was developed by Essendon miraculously over one season is hilarious.

In terms of moving him to the backline, I'm still not sure he would be a starting back for us without injuries.
Let’s say you have a guy like Hunter Clark at full fitness or a guy like Brad Hill or a guy like Jade Gresham fully fit. It’s simple. You find a spot for them

For some reason, Hind was never ‘valued’. He had speed and skills that were not allowed to flourish. He could have been a wingman or a permanent half forward but St Kilda coaches did not see him as best 22

We kept dropping him to the seconds.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 11:01pm
nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 24 Sep 2021 10:21pm In terms of moving him to the backline, I'm still not sure he would be a starting back for us without injuries.
We'll never know, at least the Bummers had more faith in him than we did.
They supposedly recruited him to fill the spot that Saad vacated and he did a good job, his way, or under instruction.
So did the Bummers undervalue Saad?
They obviously had the opportunity to keep him (by matching or beating whatever contract he was offered from outside but chose not to.

On the criteria being used here to describe Hind's defection/recruitment to Essendope then every player who moved Clubs (after NOT being delisted) was devalued by his existing Club.

Howard/Ryder obviously devalued by Port
Butler/Higgins obviously devalued by Richmond
Jones obviously devalued by Sydney
Hill obviously devalued by Fremantle
Crouch obviously devalued by Adelaide
Acres/Newnes/Hind/Bruce obviously devalued by St Kilda.

Interesting way of looking at the concept of Trading players, IMHO