A COVID Cup is a Dud

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

A COVID Cup is a Dud

I really feel sorry for Melbourne being a serious contender for their first flag in 57 years and it coinciding with a Pandemic.

Treloar confirmed last night on 360 that a Pandemic GF build doesn't come close to comparing to a normal GF build up.

I feel sorry for the Dogs too however at least they were able to break their drought in 2016 and know what a proper flag feels like.

I just hope the Pandemic is over when we return to finals.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: A COVID Cup is a Dud

I’d taken ANY premiership

CarlD
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 12:37pm I’d taken ANY premiership
+1

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

While I'd much prefer to experience a premiership rather than just watch it, if I had to watch it, I would, over and over and over again.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I seriously couldn't care less whether we win our next flag playing Mars on a neutral ground on Mercury. So long as I know that we win and that I'm able to get a stream of it to watch endlessly - I'll take that.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I seriously couldn't care less whether we win our next flag playing Mars on a neutral ground on Mercury. So long as I know that we win and that I'm able to get a stream of it to watch endlessly - I'll take that.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

On that general theme, the 57 year Melbourne drought angle is an arguable stat I think, although of course a romantic notion of triumph after long term failure.

AFL started in 1990 I think with a couple of teams from interstate, Crows in 1993? then Freo and Port later. So its not anything like it was in '64 i.e. plenty of significant changes to the comp Victorian teams play in since Dees last saluted. Further and notwithstanding that the last two years' comp has been the best compromise the AFL could be expected to come up with and all power/credit to it, there have been other issues like the long standing almost random uneven draw, all the salary cap rorts by bigger clubs over time, the drug rumours around Geelong and the actual drugging of Essendon players.

Saying its 57 years of comparable contests is disingenuous. Sure the MFC seniors have not won the comp it has competed in since then but each time there is a significant change to a comp the clock surely resets to zero. The 57 years since meme is simply not comparing like with like, fair?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 1:36pm I seriously couldn't care less whether we win our next flag playing Mars on a neutral ground on Mercury. So long as I know that we win and that I'm able to get a stream of it to watch endlessly - I'll take that.
Yeah would love that. I have watched the win in 1966 but not one minute of any of the losses.

I am running out of f****** time though.

I am not getting any younger and covid has robbed me of my fitness and gym time. Hate it.

Even the dog struggles on our walk these days.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 22 Sep 2021 2:42pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

In the fullness of time the asterisk will get even larger next to the 2020 and 2021 premiers. My Richmond mates already cop barbs about only winning 2.5 flags since 2017.

I prefer my flags to be full strength in an uncompromised comp. If the Dees win in a slaughter then the talk will be how unfairly disadvantaged the Dogs were. Watch this space.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 1:50pm
In the fullness of time the asterisk will get even larger next to the 2020 and 2021 premiers. My Richmond mates already cop barbs about only winning 2.5 flags since 2017.

I prefer my flags to be full strength in an uncompromised comp. If the Dees win in a slaughter then the talk will be how unfairly advantaged the Dogs were. Watch this space.
Well the doggies have everything fall their way last time, maggots favoritism, even buddy's untimely injury.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 1:47pm On that general theme, the 57 year Melbourne drought angle is an arguable stat I think, although of course a romantic notion of triumph after long term failure.

AFL started in 1990 I think with a couple of teams from interstate, Crows in 1993? then Freo and Port later. So its not anything like it was in '64 i.e. plenty of significant changes to the comp Victorian teams play in since Dees last saluted. Further and notwithstanding that the last two years' comp has been the best compromise the AFL could be expected to come up with and all power/credit to it, there have been other issues like the long standing almost random uneven draw, all the salary cap rorts by bigger clubs over time, the drug rumours around Geelong and the actual drugging of Essendon players.

Saying its 57 years of comparable contests is disingenuous. Sure the MFC seniors have not won the comp it has competed in since then but each time there is a significant change to a comp the clock surely resets to zero. The 57 years since meme is simply not comparing like with like, fair?
Whichever way you look at it, it’s been 55 years since we won a flag and it will be 56 by the time we get another chance. Lots of people here have been supporting the club right through that time. I can’t remember feeling any different when the Eagles joined or any of the other changes.

And I wouldn’t give a rat’s tossbag what other people said about COVID cups if we had snagged it last year or this year.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 2:38pm
Yorkeys wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 1:47pm On that general theme, the 57 year Melbourne drought angle is an arguable stat I think, although of course a romantic notion of triumph after long term failure.

Whichever way you look at it, it’s been 55 years since we won a flag and it will be 56 by the time we get another chance. Lots of people here have been supporting the club right through that time. I can’t remember feeling any different when the Eagles joined or any of the other changes.

And I wouldn’t give a rat’s tossbag what other people said about COVID cups if we had snagged it last year or this year.
Some people are happy with meat and some people think Spam is meat.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The build up might be different, but come bounce time Saturday night that is all irrelevant, what happen in the game would be exactly the same if it was any other year at the MCG.]

C'mon Dees!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

This is the 2nd Covid Cup, before that it was AFL Cup, before that it was VFL Cup, before that it was....

It's evolution :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I prefer my flags to be full strength in an uncompromised comp. If the Dees win in a slaughter then the talk will be how unfairly disadvantaged the Dogs were. Watch this space.
sorry - rubbish
The record book will state either Dees or Dogs
the rest is for whingers

give me a flag

Seeya
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 6:46pm

sorry - rubbish
the rest is for whingers

give me a flag
Whingers indeed.

And since when has the AFL ever been uncompromised? A casual support would not realise this.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 6:46pm

sorry - rubbish
the rest is for whingers

give me a flag
The record book states the Yanks conquered Afghanistan and won the hearts and minds campaign.

The record book states Captain Cook was the first bloke here.

There's just two examples of propaganda recorded in the books.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I've got to hand it to you Vortex, you are our very own MMM. Any time we tune in there's a better than even chance you'll be singing one of three songs.

Covid Cup / Asterisk Cup are your Red Hot Chile Pepper songs.

"Missing Bruce" is your Pearl Jam

"Competitive Beast" is a Foo Fighter classic.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

once again hilarious
AFL record book = the Afghanistan war

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Drugging of Essendon players?

They weren't the only ones just the only ones to be caught.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 7:36pm I've got to hand it to you Vortex, you are our very own MMM. Any time we tune in there's a better than even chance you'll be singing one of three songs.

Covid Cup / Asterisk Cup are your Red Hot Chile Pepper songs.

"Missing Bruce" is your Pearl Jam

"Competitive Beast" is a Foo Fighter classic.
I gotta be honest GL, I posted that with mischievous in mind and it's possibly just through being fatigued with all that one has to endure as a result of COVID. I mean let's be honest, who doesn't want things to return to the way they were in say January 2020. And so I'm not making any apologies for not swallowing all the propaganda around a Pandemic effected footy comp. Yeah we will all tune in and get into the moment but I'm guessing the players would prefer all their family and mates were at the game.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

give me a flag

thats my train

:P

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Oh great this pathetic argument again. Last year embarrassing people who espouse this rubbish were saying 'Saints are only doing well cause COVID hurr durr asterisk cup'

This year we struggled but now the narrative is 'COVID Asterisk cup cause Treloar feels build up different to GF hurr durr'.

Sad.

If anything these two tough years make the achievement all the more special. The asterisk in this case should be to indicate what an outstanding achievement it was in difficult times to stay strong and win a cup not a mark of diminishment.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

So us making the finals last season was worthless?

Okay, so am I supposed to be happy we didn’t make the finals this season?!

I’m confused?!?!

Seriously l, I’d give my left nut to be in Melbourne’s position right now.

minneapolis
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 3:02pm
kosifantutti wrote: Wed 22 Sep 2021 2:38pm

Some people are happy with meat and some people think Spam is meat.
Spam was invented in Minnesota so we think it is meat. (I like it fried when camping).

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.