Milne or Betts?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Milne or Betts?

Milne kicked 11 against a team that had played in four consecutive Grand Finals.

Just saying.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Betts lost me the day he broke Nathan Wright's jaw at Marvel.
It was a cheap shop and totally changed my view of him (Betts)
BTW I don't think Nathan Wright was ever the same player after that incident that he was before it.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 10:26am Betts lost me the day he broke Nathan Wright's jaw at Marvel.
BTW I don't think Nathan Wright was ever the same player after that incident that he was before it.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 10:23am Milne kicked 11 against a team that had played in four consecutive Grand Finals.

Just saying.
Yeah. I was there that day sitting next to a Lions supporting mate. Absolutely loved his game.Milne for mine..

saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 11:43am
Mr Magic wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 10:26am Betts lost me the day he broke Nathan Wright's jaw at Marvel.
Cheap shot.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I remember that actually and you’re 100% correct. He was looking like a young gun to that stage and came back a different player

amusingname
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 10:43pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 8:26pm ....I’d take Milne in a heartbeat

Better clubman and there’s something super appealing about a player that used his smarts, skills and hard work to excel
Good point about what he provided to his team mates as far as motivation and morale is concerned

Being a Rookie means you have no option except working your bum off and having him around was always good fun

Milne had more obstacles than Eddie. Gotta admire what he achieved as a footballer
Sorry, how did Milne have more obstacles? Eddie was overlooked in the national draft and picked up in the pre-season, Milne was picked up as a rookie after playing in the reserves when that was still a pathway, doesn’t seem overly different, especially as Milne debuted in round 4 of the first year of being a rookie.

Both amazing players in my opinion, quite different in how they played even for being in the same position. I like Eddies defensive pressure a bit more than Milne’s, but Milne was a bit more consistent when in a good team I think.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Leigh Matthews ... 915 goals. Played quite a few as a forward pocket or on the half forward flank.
Quite a handy player. :wink:
He was always great in the finals, throwing his weight around and using his body as a battering ram whenever the occasion called for it (the b@st@rd).

Milne was great at Docklands during the season proper, but didn't do much in the finals - he was usually well beaten and quiet.

You can't compare.
Last edited by samoht on Fri 27 Aug 2021 3:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Matthews played most of his Career as a goal kicking mid

He spent the last 3 seasons as a small full forward in his 30s

He basically won a Coleman from the midfield
One game kicking 11 whilst racking up 38 disposals

Matthews is probably the best player in the history of the game. Mainly as a mid.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 2:54pm Leigh Matthews ... 915 goals. Played quite a few as a forward pocket or on the half forward flank.
Quite a handy player. :wink:
He was always great in the finals, throwing his weight around and using his body as a battering ram whenever the occasion called for it (the b@st@rd).

Milne was great at Docklands during the season proper, but didn't do much in the finals - he was usually well beaten and quiet.

You can't compare.
When Lethal hit a point post, the post came of the worse for wear, second best even. :wink: :wink: :twisted:

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Actually Bartlett (778 goals) who played his career as a mid showed what he could do at the end of his career playing as a small forward (when he was in his mid 30's) in a final series ... kicked a swag of goals and proved too quick, agile and clever - he was hungry and unstoppable.

The finals is the proving ground - Milne was found wanting, in that regard.

here's Bartlett in the finals ...

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Betts' Adelaide years were higher than Milne's best years. But Milne's consistency doesn't get the plaudits.

Still, it's worth remembering that Betts was considered reasonably inconsistent during his Carlton years - there was big commotion over why Adelaide would offer a 'flaky' player so much. But in the end, he played some of the best footy a small forward has ever played there, and it was a human highlight real in his first four years in Adelaide - albeit, he never came close to that in either stint at Carlton.

Yet Milne was much more consistent: 8 times he kicked 45+ goals in a year, an astonishing effort.

Betts did it six times, and didn't do it until his 7th year in the AFL system. Milne did it in his second year and despite or two off years, was consistently high in his goal return.

Betts also played an extra 75 games, so gets marks for longevity. But his average is 1.8 per game, while Milne comfortably sits at 2+

So, in the end, take your pick. Eddie really did have a higher, more freakish ceiling and was a more skilful player. He could kick goals that Milne couldn't. However, Milne's ability to consistently conjure goals from half-chances was superior - and remains as good as any small forward to have played the game in terms of converting an unlikely opportunity into a goal.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 3:30pm Betts' Adelaide years were higher than Milne's best years. But Milne's consistency doesn't get the plaudits.

Still, it's worth remembering that Betts was considered reasonably inconsistent during his Carlton years - there was big commotion over why Adelaide would offer a 'flaky' player so much. But in the end, he played some of the best footy a small forward has ever played there, and it was a human highlight real in his first four years in Adelaide - albeit, he never came close to that in either stint at Carlton.

Yet Milne was much more consistent: 8 times he kicked 45+ goals in a year, an astonishing effort.

Betts did it six times, and didn't do it until his 7th year in the AFL system. Milne did it in his second year and despite or two off years, was consistently high in his goal return.

Betts also played an extra 75 games, so gets marks for longevity. But his average is 1.8 per game, while Milne comfortably sits at 2+

So, in the end, take your pick. Eddie really did have a higher, more freakish ceiling and was a more skilful player. He could kick goals that Milne couldn't. However, Milne's ability to consistently conjure goals from half-chances was superior - and remains as good as any small forward to have played the game in terms of converting an unlikely opportunity into a goal.
Can't we just love 'em both?

winmar07

If Milney had kicked THAT goal, there would be no comparison

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

I really like Betts for one of the same reasons I love Milney: They play/played the game with joy. Jogo Bonito.

Milne is my favourite Saint of the modern era though so I'm biased. Freakish skills, consistent, creative, hard working and utterly dedicated Saint of the type that is extremely rare.

He played as a lead up target and a rover forward and was just amazing to watch. It's a shame he doesn't get the kudos he deserves.

Milne every day of the week which isn't an insult to Betts who is obviously a brilliant player.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Can't we just love 'em both?

awwwwww

thats so cute

:P
i didn't know you had it in ya

kudos

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
silverhalo
Club Player

Milne was a freak and in the end didn't get the adulation he really deserved because of that unfortunate saga....I'll go with the stats and agree that he was definitely the better player with a significantly better goals per game average. Small forwards after all are paid to kick goals..

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I can't believe this discussion.

the Tiprat by a mile!!!! No contest!

Freaky goals? Didn't kick them? Fair dinkum! You'd be hard pressed to find a more spectacular highlight reel than Milney's. Watch this for party-trick freak goals.

And Milney kicked goals in struggling teams.

And that infamous 2010 game against the Skunks when Roo went down... Tipper stood up and played like the power forward that he always saw whenever he looked in the mirror.

No forward pressure? Early on that was true. But not under Ro$$y.

No so good interstate? That was true at times too. But again, improved under Ro$$y. And who could forget that matching winning effort against the Shockers... played with that fractured cheek bone. Milney wasn't fit to fly, so had to be driven home from Perth... and played the next game... and played well. The bloke may have been a cheeky never-shuts-up smartarse, but he was actually tough too.

Betty? Played a crap year for a struggling Carlscum, then had the gaul to demand big money!

Went to Adelaide.

Yeah, kicked goals. But not hard. Strong team, huge home ground advantage. However, didn't see him do much in away games though.

Down hill skier!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
I love the saints!
Club Player

Milney for sure!!

In STKFC we trust.
carn_sainter
Club Player

Milne was an absolute freak.

One of the hardest players to stop one-on-one. No further caveats needed. People playing on him had it as tough as the guy tagging any gun midfielder you want to mention.

Possibly the best pack crumbing ability of all time.

I've not watched Betts much over his career, so I don't have an opinion of him. But I find it implausible that he could have been better than Milne. Maybe on the same level, but it's not possible to be a better small forward than Milne was.