the evidence is clear: - umpires do decide a game!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Club Player

the evidence is clear: - umpires do decide a game!

Can we put this to bed now- the dogs/bombers game, one I care little about shows clearly how poor umpiring can decide a game. Are we surprised that 5 of the first 7 goals to the dogs came from free kicks? The raised arm high frees have been a blight on the game - yet the umps still fall for it and the Beveridge dogs are the worst offenders.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: the evidence is clear: - umpires do decide a game!

Which ones are the umpires ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 6:13pm Can we put this to bed now- the dogs/bombers game, one I care little about shows clearly how poor umpiring can decide a game. Are we surprised that 5 of the first 7 goals to the dogs came from free kicks? The raised arm high frees have been a blight on the game - yet the umps still fall for it and the Beveridge dogs are the worst offenders.
That’s a rule issue, not an umpiring one.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 6:20pm
6621104 wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 6:13pm Can we put this to bed now- the dogs/bombers game, one I care little about shows clearly how poor umpiring can decide a game. Are we surprised that 5 of the first 7 goals to the dogs came from free kicks? The raised arm high frees have been a blight on the game - yet the umps still fall for it and the Beveridge dogs are the worst offenders.
Oh FFS - now I have heard it all
The_Dud wrote: Umpires don't affect the outcome
The_Dud wrote: Umpires don't affect the score
The_Dud wrote: If we score a goal from a free it must be the umpires cheating for us
Now:
The_Dud wrote: That’s a rule issue, not an umpiring one.
To be clear - I do not think that Umpires set out to decide games - nor do I believe that they 'Cheat' - however to blindly say that they cannot influence a game is ridiculous and to flat out defend incorrect decisions is ludicrous.
Sh!t happens - and - often - it happens to us!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Who cares when it's Essendon that's getting cheated. The most despicable supporters of any AFL team. Any day they get beaten is a good day. Suck on that Adrian Dodoro

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Just hearing Leppitsch (who some are calling for to come to our Club) talking about the umpires needing to get better when determining free kicks.
Especially the 50/50 ones

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 6:25pm
The_Dud wrote: If we score a goal from a free it must be the umpires cheating for us
Now:
To be clear - I do not think that Umpires set out to decide games - nor do I believe that they 'Cheat' - however to blindly say that they cannot influence a game is ridiculous and to flat out defend incorrect decisions is ludicrous.
I think it is fairly clear that maggots have their favourite teams, players they like and players they dislike.

f****** Hawkins gets away with murder every week, throwing elbows and pushing players in the back with impunity.

Selwood is another continually getting frees for ducking his head and forcing opposition players uarms up over his shoulders. Should be play on.

On the other hand Toby Green would have to be half murdered before the maggots would even think of blowing their whistles.

Baker and Milne were others denied justice by the men in what used to be white.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Now:
I think it is fairly clear that maggots have their favourite teams, players they like and players they dislike.

f****** Hawkins gets away with murder every week, throwing elbows and pushing players in the back with impunity.

Selwood is another continually getting frees for ducking his head and forcing opposition players uarms up over his shoulders. Should be play on.

On the other hand Toby Green would have to be half murdered before the maggots would even think of blowing their whistles.

Baker and Milne were others denied justice by the men in what used to be white.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Happy to see Essendon lose….yey….done go the Bombers in flames…hip hip hooray.

But no doubt, that Bulldogs forward milked the umps to a tee, and kicked four goals, at least three from ill deserved but sneakily gotten frees.

Tackled?
Easy. Duck into the corner of the armpit of the tackler raising the elbow to raise the tacklers arm and form a ‘noose’…Whistle…too high! Goal.
Exaggerate push after ..well after,the actual push..and after the umps attention is directed towards a potential free…Whistle goal..

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 7:40pm Happy to see Essendon lose….yey….done go the Bombers in flames…hip hip hooray.

But no doubt, that Bulldogs forward milked the umps to a tee, and kicked four goals, at least three from ill deserved but sneakily gotten frees.

Tackled?
Easy. Duck into the corner of the armpit of the tackler raising the elbow to raise the tacklers arm and form a ‘noose’…Whistle…too high! Goal.
Exaggerate push after ..well after,the actual push..and after the umps attention is directed towards a potential free…Whistle goal..
Take your word. Hate both teams so watched a movie. Bloody good too. Only turned it back on with about 11 minutes to go.

Did my heart good to see that the injectors were being flogged

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Now:
The ‘raised arm high free’ is a correct free kick under the rules, no matter how much we don’t like it.

The umpires can’t not pay it because it’s unpopular.

aaron82
Club Player

I wish just one day perhaps in a couple of finals, we’d get a run from the umpires like the dogs. Last year at the Gabba I believe 7 of their 10 goals against us came from a free kick. It was funny that today it was Essendon though

and that's the bottom line
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

aaron82 wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 7:53pm I wish just one day perhaps in a couple of finals, we’d get a run from the umpires like the dogs. Last year at the Gabba I believe 7 of their 10 goals against us came from a free kick. It was funny that today it was Essendon though
Ask Doggies supporters about the 09 prelim final!

aaron82
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 7:57pm
aaron82 wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 7:53pm I wish just one day perhaps in a couple of finals, we’d get a run from the umpires like the dogs. Last year at the Gabba I believe 7 of their 10 goals against us came from a free kick. It was funny that today it was Essendon though
Ask Doggies supporters about the 09 prelim final!

It’s amusing that one. Riewoldt picked up at Weightman style free kick at the start of the third quarter but the game finished 17/17 all free kicks. I was about 15 bourbons deep so I don’t recall any other dubious free kicks our way.

I do know the dogs are 141 to 96 free kicks in finals since Beveridge has been coach. We can only dream of those sort of numbers

and that's the bottom line
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 7:40pm Happy to see Essendon lose….yey….done go the Bombers in flames…hip hip hooray.

Tackled?
Good call mate I think the dogs got the rub of the green & if that was the Saints I would be ropable but IDGAF those drug cheating fu--ers have assembled them selves a pretty handy team & will be a threat in years to come so any loss warms the cockles of my heart don't feel any sympathy for them at all :wink:

Saint 58
Club Player

Fxxx the Injectors

Anyone who raises his arms to draw a head high free kick should get his head ripped off.
Make the prick (yes I mean Selwood😡), earn it.
If he’s concussed then too bad, off you go.
Then maybe they’ll change the rule - If the initial tackle was legal, play on, no free kick.

P.S. 6203 days & counting since the Injectors won a final 😂

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The maggots gifted the bullies a premiership.

George27
Club Player

Tackled?
I totally agree, Shane. I enjoyed the first 3 games of the weekend, but I found today’s game very frustrating to watch. This bloke Weightman has taken over the mantle from Toby McLean as the Dogs’ best milker, and is definitely on the competition dais with Selwood and Rhys Matheson.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The press are calling those frees a ridiculous AFL farce. Hard not to agree.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-f ... 9758f72d98

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 8:24pm
One of my favourite facts of all time - no one has ever celebrated an Essendon finals win on Facebook! 😂

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the age.com.au

"There are days when the umpires go largely unnoticed. This was not one of them."

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The Doggies are the umpires’ darlings. Four goals to Weightman, all from free kicks, effectively decided the game in those conditions. I reckon two or three weren’t there.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 9:06pm
Saint 58 wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 8:24pm
One of my favourite facts of all time - no one has ever celebrated an Essendon finals win on Facebook! 😂
Yeesss! :D

Saint supporter since '62
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The umpires didn't kick the goals, Weightman did, the umps just gave Weightman the opportunity.

How many other players would have kicked 4 goals straight, good on him, he helped send the Injectors into their offseason.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

so the cheats were cheated ??? so it's evens.