Is Roma a true ruckman?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Roma a true ruckman?

B.M wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 9:50pm By the way

Marshall is a much better ruckman than forward

His 2019 vs his 2020 indicates this

He is max a 1 goal per game Kosi style tall forward

His is a 20ppg ruckman who can still rest forward and average half a goal per game.

Just a week ago he dominated in the ruck!
I think this is relatively spot on…
All I can add though is that his around the ground work is better than his tap work. Hence his opposite partner in Ryder would have provided him with a chop out against a a high leader like Stanley and negated the advantage

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

As a rookie pick he has been a lot better than most of our first rounders . Not a no # 1 ruckman but not really big enough to fill that role but a very handy back up / go forward /go back a real diamond in the rough IMO I hope we find a few more like him

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I we took Marshall with pick 1 in the National Draft

We’d be happy

But again, he is a ruckman who can play forwards, not the other way around. His best games, have all been as a Ruckman.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 9:55pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 8:43pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 8:22pm Marshall has to stop kicking the ball every time he gets it. He has to handball it off.
Yes, disobeying Ratten give it off to the bloke with the elite disposal(he who can't be dropped)! :oops:
I take it that’s another pot shot at Hill.
Every where you look there’s people bagging Hill.

Is the criticism justified?

Damn straight it is!!

It’s an easy fix for Hill

If he was one of the hardest workers in the team and one of our highest possession getters yesterday, there’d be silence, but even when it’s possibly off topic it seems that Hill’s name pops up in every thread.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 16 Aug 2021 2:15pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 9:55pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 8:43pm
CURLY wrote: Sun 15 Aug 2021 8:22pm Marshall has to stop kicking the ball every time he gets it. He has to handball it off.
Yes, disobeying Ratten give it off to the bloke with the elite disposal(he who can't be dropped)! :oops:
I take it that’s another pot shot at Hill.
Every where you look there’s people bagging Hill.

Is the criticism justified?

Damn straight it is!!

It’s an easy fix for Hill

If he was one of the hardest workers in the team and one of our highest possession getters yesterday, there’d be silence, but even when it’s possibly off topic it seems that Hill’s name pops up in every thread.
He wasn't at his best yesterday although either was Marshall. Marshall got beat up by Stanley FFS. Last week Bont had 16 or something it happens.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Time to get Hill back to the wing, where he should be.

He can be moved to HB
He can be moved to HF

Should be starting on the wing

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 16 Aug 2021 3:29pm Time to get Hill back to the wing, where he should be.

He can be moved to HB
He can be moved to HF

Does it really matter. Let's be honest teams put time into him and will try and exploit him defensively whether he is on a wing or hb. Depends on what you expect out of a wingman or creative half back.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
spert
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 16 Aug 2021 3:29pm Time to get Hill back to the wing, where he should be.

He can be moved to HB
He can be moved to HF

Hill needs to be kept out of the backline. Some of his dodgy decision-making and poor disposal by foot (wasn't elite kicking one of his strengths?) has really impacted us in a negative way. Roma is a bit like Jason Blake from years back- a good reliable player who can play ruck, forward or back, but not really a star in any position IMO, but will have a big match every now and then.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Harsh on Marshall

Two weeks ago he had 30+ hit outs and 25 possessions

Blake 191cm 89kg was a back pocket, who pinch hit in the ruck for about a season and a half. Never played forward!
Blake was a solid player

Marshall 201cm 100kg is a ruckman who can play as a marking target i50
Marshall is close to the best player on the list

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 16 Aug 2021 4:42pm Roma is a bit like Jason Blake from years back- a good reliable player who can play ruck, forward or back, but not really a star in any position IMO, but will have a big match every now and then.
Love the Blake - BUT ....

If Jason Blake is the 2nd best (RoMa - Trevor Barker Award - 2019) then there are serious issues at your club

Oh - and FFS - just a little reminder - 64 games young

TBA finishes:
2019 - 2nd
2020 - 4th

I think he has The Blake covered.
Last edited by Sainter_Dad on Mon 16 Aug 2021 5:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Marshall got 7 Brownlow Votes in his third year
Then followed up with 8 the next year

Blake had to wait 10 years to get a Brownlow vote

Blake was an underrated GOP

Marshall is a quality big man. I’d go as far as saying he’s A Grade

And our Second best players.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 16 Aug 2021 5:01pm Marshall is close to the best player on the list
I think he’s our best. You could argue Steele I guess, but it’s harder to find key position stars. King may ultimately be our best, but that is a while off yet.

Problem with Marshall is we can’t clone him. At the moment we need him ruck, forward and could use him at CHB also. These are key structural issues that we must get on top of to improve next season.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Think he hasn't fully recovered from that foot injury. Something was wrong with him on Saturday

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-ne ... 6f227b5cc0

This explains why Ryder is a much better ruckman than Marshall and streets ahead of Paul Hunter who is pretty much the 5th worst in the AFL.

Things to note, Carlisle achieved his result vs nicNat so that is incredible. He actually used his body brilliantly to guard the ball drop and make NicNat's leap a disadvantage. His high rate of advantage from hit outs is because he was a smart ruckman - he used his body to limit NicNat's ability to go where he wanted to go and compacted the drop zone to a a 90 to 120 degree zone the majority of the time.

Marshall has almost no ruck IQ at all. Doesn't prevent the opposition ruckman from doing what he wants to do and rarely wins a contest to a pre-planned spot.

And our mids suck at smashing the contest without clear zones to win ball.

Our mids also must have one of the worst "shark" rates in the league - purely because they stand on the outside of the contest - i assume to minimise the spread?

I can definitely see why Gawn and Grundy get the big bucks - they are genuine 2 for 1 ruckman - brilliant ruckman and win plenty of it around the ground.

I love Marshall (and predicted he would be a star even when he was playing with Sandy) but he is a tall forward who should be our main target out of the backline (with the long kick down the wing) and can then play 30% relief ruck time as a dynamic midfield giant.

I am starting to think we should make a big play for Brodie Grundy who Collingwood do not appreciate ... he would be worth every cent of $1m in a ruck combo with Rowan Marshall.

Together our clearance rate would instantly leap to top 4.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Better centre bounce tap ruckman

Marshall is way better around the ground!!!

Depends what you value more

I agree with Buckley to a point - Hit Out stats are the most overrated stat in footy

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Mon 16 Aug 2021 10:53pm Better centre bounce tap ruckman

Marshall is way better around the ground!!!

Depends what you value more

I agree with Buckley to a point - Hit Out stats are the most overrated stat in footy
Yep spot on but when you have dominant ruck man like Nic Nat & Ryder that can single handily change a game just by the way they tap the ball then hit outs aren't over rated IMO anyway

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Hit out effectiveness is crucial.

Second to that is ensuring you stop the ball going to where the opposition want it.

Taps to advantage numbers is the most important stat - not total tap numbers or tap differential.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It’s not a hard equation IMO

You need both.
A ruck that just does taps like Billy Longer is useless and a guy that’s decent around the ground but gets slaughtered around the ground like Hickey (for the majority of the time he played with us) is the same.

You can get lucky and find a freakish player that can do both but the sound strategy is to fit two rucks into your top 22…
And for that to happen they need to be able to pinch hit in another position (or at least one of them does.

Ryder is good enough to sit deep forward, Marshall at CHF or dropping back for contested marks (or at least compete).

But both are primarily rucks

It will be interesting to watch how Heath develops… don’t know much about him in terms of style

B.M
Saintsational Legend

CHF?

Marshall has never lined up as a High Forward

The ball is never kicked there, and coaches hate shallow entries i50

Another tap ruckman would be ok and Marshall to support from deep forward
Another forward ruckman would also be fine allowing Marshall to play Ruck

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I just hope for a miracle & Paddy can go on for another couple of years because they complement each other & when they play together we win most games just a shame the planets did not align this year . Probably won't happen but nice to dream

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I would throw Max Heath in next year at the deep end. He's a 204cm 18 year old described as a young Carl Ditterich.

Well Carl was only 17 when he made his debut and tore the Dee's and Barrassi new awesome.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

You would throw a 18yo up against Gawn, Natinui, Grundy, Goldstein, Darcy, Mumford, Witts and Draper???

Wow

Baptism of fire, he would get slaughtered!!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Aug 2021 1:28am You would throw a 18yo up against Gawn, Natinui, Grundy, Goldstein, Darcy, Mumford, Witts and Draper???

Wow

Baptism of fire, he would get slaughtered!!!
Ditterich didn't and he went up against some pretty good ruckman, Nichols , Fellows and Farmer included.