Steve Baker on Toby Greene

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Steve Baker on Toby Greene

Thought I'd share this story in today's Herald Sun by Sam Landsberger - very smart for the reporter to get Stevie's observations on this controversy, both he and Toby have their unique aggression in common and given the precedent with Bayley Fritsch earlier in the season he should be entitled to play:

"GWS star Toby Greene, centre, at North Port Oval yesterday where the Giants are preparing to face Richmond without their best player

Toby Greene will never be treated fairly by the AFL’s judicial system because his reputation as a thug is unshakeable, according to former tough nut Steven Baker.

A furious Greater Western Sydney will challenge Greene’s one-match suspension at the AFL Appeals Board on Thursday after the club failed to argue his striking charge was wrongly graded as careless conduct at Tuesday’s tribunal hearing.

The Giants are expected to use Bayley Fritsch’s overturned ban from a similar incident in round 7 as a relevant precedent at Thursday’s appeal, where the verdict will decide whether Greene can play in Friday night’s quasi-elimination final against Richmond.

Oddly, the Fritsch hearing was not used as evidence on Tuesday. Baker – found guilty in all 15 of his tribunal appearances – fears the Giants are wasting their time because Greene will most likely dial into the hearing with a guilty verdict looming.

Two of the three tribunal jury members on Tuesday also presided over Greene’s blockbuster case in preliminary final week in 2019, when a controversial one-match sanction was upheld.

Richard Loveridge and Shane Wakelin were present at both hearings while Steven
(sic - Stewart) Loewe rounded out Tuesday’s panel, replacing David Neitz from 2019.

Eyebrows were raised at the appointments and while there is no suggestion of an integrity problem, Baker said from his experiences fresh eyes were needed.

“They’ve definitely got to clean them out,” he said. “Once they’ve got a perception of someone they’re going to keep that for the next hearing.”

Privately, the Giants have long believed their best player has been unfairly victimised, although football boss Jason McCartney bit his tongue after Tuesday’s hearing.

Asked if Greene was being singled out, McCartney said: “It’s a good question … we probably think there’s a little bit still to play out with this.”

Premiership Hawk Xavier Ellis joked on Twitter that Greene could rescue a family from a house fire only to be scalded for not saving the house.

Greene’s lengthy rap sheet has cost him around $30,000 in fines and seven games through bans.

Ellis said the mistreatment was no laughing matter.

“I really feel for him,” he told News Corp.

“Toby’s not afforded the same leniency as other superstar players, and certainly not the same forgiveness.”

Baker suspects he missed 36-38 games through bans. But the tagger can’t understand why one of the game’s marquee players appeared to be in the league’s sights.

“He’s one of the best players in the AFL. It surprises me they’re going after him so much,” Baker said. “I think he’s been vilified and is guilty until proven innocent.

“If someone with a clean record did the same thing I think they’d get off.”

Baker said he copped seven matches for a “he-said, she-said” incident with Jeff Farmer that wasn’t caught on camera and another three games for kicking Steve Alessio despite getting stomped on first.

“I rehearsed the speeches and practised the whole week with the QC and would go in suited up and say everything perfectly,” Baker said. “But it didn’t matter what I’d say. I’d get exactly the same result if I went in nude and took a s**t on the desk.

“I think I had 15 out of 15 guilty, so I knew before I went in that they were giving me guilty no matter what.”

Baker, who played 203 games for the Saints and won the 2005 best-and-fairest, said Greene was in a similar category.

“Toby’s got that thug name now and the AFL are trying to stamp out all this roughness,” he said. “I think it’s too hard to get rid of. Once you’re deemed a thug as soon as you do anything remotely controversial people are up in arms about it.

“The microscope is put on him 10 times more than another player with a clean record. He’s definitely been hard done by and hopefully he gets off
.”

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Steve Baker on Toby Greene

The Baker suspensions were a joke. Another in the long list of AFL driven jokes against STkILDA.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintJohn1956
Club Player

I think he got 2 weeks once for attempting to strike. Didn't even actually hit anyone.

Saint John
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Why did Dangerfield get off when he used his arm and elbow to fend off?

Danger caused a lot more damage and Vlastuin was severely concussed, whereas Damgerfield was not concussed and will be playing this week

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dan ... 568f2.html

One rule for Toby and for other players and a totally different rule for some of the protected species including Danger himself

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/news-2021- ... ec602c78f1

aaron82
Club Player

I remember the Alessio incident when he had 100kgs of Stafford on top of his ankle.

It was Greg Stafford who Bakes was rubbed out for 2 weeks for attempting to strike. Laughable

and that's the bottom line
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Baker was clearly targeted

The farmer suspension was shameful!!!

Sombersainter
Club Player

Baker was dealt harshly by the tribunal but he was a thug.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

The Farmer suspension was completely the fault of the Barrister who represented him, IMHO.
The case was raised based on an 'eye witness' trainer who under cross-examination admitted he hadn't actually seen the incident.
The Barrister should have simply demanded that the case be thrown out the instant the witness admitted he hadn't seen the incident.
Instead he carried on and allowed the Tribunal the wriggle room to find Baker guilty of something that wasn't caught on tape or no witness would attest.to.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

From memory

Baker was instructed to say he made contact, but it was unintentional. Basically admitted he broke Farmers nose.

With no evidence He should have denied It as there was no evidence to prove he did it.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Baker didn't need to even speak.
Once the trainer admitted he didn't actually witness the incident the charge should have been thrown out.
The Barrister stuffed up (IMHO) by not demanding it get thrown out.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

SaintJohn1956 wrote: Thu 12 Aug 2021 11:29am I think he got 2 weeks once for attempting to strike. Didn't even actually hit anyone.
Suspended for having immoral thoughts...

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I think Toby got his just desserts.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The Peanut
Club Player

Steve Baker was hunted by AFL just like Toby Greene
I thought it was very apt of the Journo discussing this with Steve Baker
Both fascinating to watch - Baker held the best accountable

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Sombersainter wrote: Thu 12 Aug 2021 1:13pm Baker was dealt harshly by the tribunal but he was a thug.
true and true

but he was our thug

(thats gotta count for something)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
ace
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 12 Aug 2021 11:21am The Baker suspensions were a joke. Another in the long list of AFL driven jokes against STkILDA.
The Alessio incident was as corrupt as they come.
But that was the Demetriou administration.
The Crown inquiries have exposed the truth about Demetriou's character so even the sycophantic press haven't been able to look the other way.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

"I’d get exactly the same result if I went in nude and took a s**t on the desk."

Nice line from Stevie.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Fri 13 Aug 2021 12:31am "I’d get exactly the same result if I went in nude and took a s**t on the desk."

Nice line from Stevie.
🤣 You can take the boy out of the Animal Enclosure, but you can’t take the Animal Enclosure out of the boy

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of Stevie, his type is exactly what this current team could do with one off.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

You can take the boy out of the Animal Enclosure, but you can’t take the Animal Enclosure out of the boy
wins internet

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 13 Aug 2021 7:56am Speaking of Stevie, his type is exactly what this current team could do with one off.
you would find that ben long fits the mould

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Long isn’t even in the team!