Players chatting after the game.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Players chatting after the game.

The game has just finished and there I am ready to throw the remote at the TV and our blokes are chatting away to their opposition mates !!

I have no problem with them shaking their hand with a mumbled 'good game' but this 'how's your 2 year old, is she walking yet' or whatever they talk about infuriates me. Get into the dressing room, knock over the drink table and show some anger.

Just can't imagine Plugger, Spud, Joffa etc. exchanging recipes or 'where did you get the lovely orange boots' with the opposition minutes after losing a must win game.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Players chatting after the game.

Gershwin wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 8:24pm Just can't imagine Plugger, Spud, Joffa etc. exchanging recipes or 'where did you get the lovely orange boots' with the opposition minutes after losing a must win game.
Not when there were VBs on ice & Winnies to smoke.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 8:27pm
Gershwin wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 8:24pm Just can't imagine Plugger, Spud, Joffa etc. exchanging recipes or 'where did you get the lovely orange boots' with the opposition minutes after losing a must win game.
Not when there were VBs on ice & Winnies to smoke.
Exactly.

Saint supporter since '62
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 8:24pm The game has just finished and there I am ready to throw the remote at the TV and our blokes are chatting away to their opposition mates !!

I have no problem with them shaking their hand with a mumbled 'good game' but this 'how's your 2 year old, is she walking yet' or whatever they talk about infuriates me. Get into the dressing room, knock over the drink table and show some anger.

Just can't imagine Plugger, Spud, Joffa etc. exchanging recipes or 'where did you get the lovely orange boots' with the opposition minutes after losing a must win game.
This - it p!sses me off

At what stage can we expect to see the hurt that the supporters feel reflected in the players????

Chatting and prissy haircuts are for winners - shaved heads and sackcloth for the losers.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 8:24pm The game has just finished and there I am ready to throw the remote at the TV and our blokes are chatting away to their opposition mates !!

Great post
I think I need to de-tach to the same level as our players
I needed an hour cool off time and back shed rants about how “I’m done, I’m done” to get over a loss like that
Big deep breath....back dreaming again like a sucker..

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 9:11pm

This - it p!sses me off

At what stage can we expect to see the hurt that the supporters feel reflected in the players????

Chatting and prissy haircuts are for winners - shaved heads and sackcloth for the losers.
I know where you're coming from S_D, I think we've all felt that. I'm just not sure of its worth, it won't turn that loss into a win, it won't help us win next week. It's just theatre, perhaps a panadol for the headache they just gave us.

If you've got enough energy to tip a table over, throw a drink, kick a cat, punch a locker then you've not left everything out on the field.

You get beaten, acknowledge your opponent, walk off with your team mates. Home truths to be said face to face behind closed doors in the cold light of day.

Shaggy
Club Player

Very different to Pluggers time.

Most players have friends in other teams due to TAC and underage rep teams.

Unlike the old days players cannot simply meet up in the changing rooms after the game for a beer.

Just because players are still mates with the opposition after losing a game does not mean they do not hurt as much supporters. Ridiculous.

It shows they are not sore losers and have some perspective unlike some of the supporter base.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I was gropable after the game. How can they do this to me again??? I calmed down about an hour later though.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 10:41pm I was gropable after the game. ...
So, do you want us to win or to lose?

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 10:41pm I was gropable after the game.
Hope there were no takers.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

All clubs do it these days. Seems odd at times but good sportsmanship at others.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 10:04pm Very different to Pluggers time.

Most players have friends in other teams due to TAC and underage rep teams.

Unlike the old days players cannot simply meet up in the changing rooms after the game for a beer.

Just because players are still mates with the opposition after losing a game does not mean they do not hurt as much supporters. Ridiculous.

It shows they are not sore losers and have some perspective unlike some of the supporter base.
Especially when they’re living in different states.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Who cares? do you go to footy with mates who support the opposition? Same deal, you give each other some friendly s*** and move on.

I've got no doubt these guys are professional, and no matter how gutted they feel after a loss, showing it openly in a bad light is not good for the club or the player.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 11:25pm Who cares? do you go to footy with mates who support the opposition? Same deal, you give each other some friendly s*** and move on.

I've got no doubt these guys are professional, and no matter how gutted they feel after a loss, showing it openly in a bad light is not good for the club or the player.
I don’t go to footy with opposition fans
Ball bounced game on
I have no time to talk niceties about how well “the Tiges” have done last 5 years or how lovely the “Cats look in hoops”
Hate them all.
I may have a problem...

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Great thread

Thanks for the posts

Took me about 2 hours to calm down after yesterday

When we were getting pumped in games earlier this year I was looking for my membership card to shred it or put in the microwave and I realised they don't send one anymore :|

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 9:36pm

You get beaten, acknowledge your opponent, walk off with your team mates. Home truths to be said face to face behind closed doors in the cold light of day.
Sure acknowledge them - shake hands - LEAVE the ground - don't stand around chatting

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 11:04pm
Jacks Back wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 10:41pm I was gropable after the game. ...
So, do you want us to win or to lose?
Of course I want us to win.

“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 11:05pm
Jacks Back wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 10:41pm I was gropable after the game.
Hope there were no takers.
:lol: :lol: no, no takers

Banger9798
SS Life Member

I actually think it is a good thing.
As much as we are watching and are gutted.
They are exhausted and have just given it all for 2 hours of being smashed, gut running etc.
Alot of these guys know each other from junior years etc
I don't begrudge them a chat afterwards.....
It is a game and when the game is over it is good to see them switch into different mode. Good for kids watching to see also.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 9:11pm

This - it p!sses me off

Sackcloth and Ashes ? :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s the cool thing to do these days

They even do it now at local level

Brad Hill loves it

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Is it really that big of a deal? If a player wants to sook after a loss, he doesn't deserve to win. It's actually a very good look for the game in my opinion. In a "monkey see, monkey do" business that seeps all the way through to juniors, sportsmanship & being gracious in winning or losing can only be a good thing.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I can live with it. It's professional sport these days and players are able to respect the efforts of the opposition.
In-match, it's a different mentality entirely.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

You know what? We'll know if the players are really hurting about this game if we come out all guns blazing in Perth next week.
That is the litmus test. Perth or not Perth, we will beat the Eagles if the players are fair dinkum about their resolve to make the top eight.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

There was enough to be upset about during the game without worrying about what happened after the siren.
Realistically I don't have an issue with it.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."