This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spiral3
Club Player

Re: Sign up Dunstan ASAP!!!

Anyone see the post game interview with Luke?
He was very flat/disinterested, bordering on rude to the hosts. Was pretty strange and didn't read well for me.
Not sure why he came across like that, dislike of hosts, general discontent, being dragged away from celebration??

older saint
SS Life Member

it comes down to 3 things:
- What he wants and that he wants to stay
- What is on offer
- what the next person in line looks like.

Hearing a couple interviews i get the feeling of underlying anger there, thanked the reserves coach a few times and seems to be holding on to the fact he was dropped and felt unfair. My gut feel is he will want to go to avoid this happening again. as someone said never sign players while in a form streak - McKenzie was this with, Richo was another , Ess being smart with Stringer not falling for it.

Money ball play , 12 weeks ago wouldn't have got anything, on this form may find someone silly enough to offer a pick 25-40, We don't have a second round pick.

Is Bytel going to be good enough next year to play that role. Can Ross continue to perform for 2 years at this level.

Dunstan has a great footy brain and finds the ball, he just falls in a group with Crouch, Ross, Bytel, and Steele to some extent. That many inside mids work while the rucks are going but can get exposed when losing in the middle .

Will be interesting to see what happens, but don't sign him now

saynta
Saintsational Legend

spiral3 wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 6:01pm Anyone see the post game interview with Luke?
He was very flat/disinterested, bordering on rude to the hosts. Was pretty strange and didn't read well for me.
Not sure why he came across like that, dislike of hosts, general discontent, being dragged away from celebration??
Last interview with him was the same. Very pissed off young man it would seem. But seeing he was shopped around the last two years and told that this year he would not be playing in the firsts, who would blame him.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It’s really interesting to read as a few ppl have highlighted this sense of anger/irritability

He’s been on the list for essentially 8 years and played 160 odd games.

I don’t accept that lack of opportunity has been the issue here…
Especially given his reputation of being less than dedicated at times to his prep

If he’s cracked it and leaves because he was forced to earn his spot like everyone else… especially after the immense faith and patience the club has put in home, that speaks very poorly of his character

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Has he played 160?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 6:12pm Has he played 160?
My bad… 110

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 4:02pm
mightysainters wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 11:19am Our team improves noticeably when speed is injected and we have our two rucks playing.. I think Bytel in a year or two will be just as impactful as Dunstan and I am not talking about disposals (impact isn't just # of disposals). Think Bytel ceiling is really high, but we can't play Dunstan, Bytel, Ross, Crouch and Steele (lesser extent) in same midfield, far too slow
Substitute Jones for Bytel and we did yesterday. Play them in the same midfield that is, and we whipped the flag favourite's arse. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
U wouldn't want to substitute Jones for Bytel in that midfield because result certainly wouldn't have been the same

saynta
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 6:21pm
saynta wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 4:02pm
mightysainters wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 11:19am Our team improves noticeably when speed is injected and we have our two rucks playing.. I think Bytel in a year or two will be just as impactful as Dunstan and I am not talking about disposals (impact isn't just # of disposals). Think Bytel ceiling is really high, but we can't play Dunstan, Bytel, Ross, Crouch and Steele (lesser extent) in same midfield, far too slow
Substitute Jones for Bytel and we did yesterday. Play them in the same midfield that is, and we whipped the flag favourite's arse. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
U wouldn't want to substitute Jones for Bytel in that midfield because result certainly wouldn't have been the same
Well we actually did. Went alright too.

Sanctorum
Club Player

111 actually.

I don't know if the comments about Dunstan being informed that he was virtually not rated by the coaches are correct, or even that he had shown anger or disrespect or being pissed off, I didn't think he was in any way in a negative frame of mind when interviewed by Channel 7 after the game as the winner of MVP on the night.

To me he appears by nature to not have a particularly effusive persona, for example he certainly looks quite reserved when he kicks a goal, and no-one should read in such behaviour that he is at odds with the club....or that the coaches have it in for him.

Time will tell what eventually happens with Dunstan, much will depend on how he plays in the remaining games.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 3:47pm
bigcarl wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:44am
Banger9798 wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:23am Having 2 dominant ruckmen certainly help Dunstan, we can afford to play all of Steele, Crouch, Ross, and Dunstan when you know you are winning or nullifying each ruck contests.
When we play with losing ruckmen he is exposed for pace and we look sluggish on the clearances.
Jones Gresham and now Byrnes proving to be crucial ingredients
None of Steele, Crouch, Ross or Dunstan are speedsters. All are valuable players. And yes, we need to mix it up with a bit of speed and creativity.

The question is, given Luke’s outstanding form, does the pecking order change? While he is playing like he is, it is his spot to lose IMO
Another fallacy re Seb Ross. He is amongst the 5 fastest players at the club. Hardy ever gets tackled which you would have noticed if you had been watching Seb closely.

As B M posted earlier in this thread:

"And believe it or not Kent is only behind Hill as far as top speed goes 34.5 (Hill over 35) and Seb Ross can reach 33.9 (he doesn’t look as quick as he is)"
Yeah I saw that and it surprised me. He certainly doesn’t look as quick as that and doesn’t appear to use it as often as he might. Maybe we should play him wing or half forward.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 3:47pm
bigcarl wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:44am
Banger9798 wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 12:23am Having 2 dominant ruckmen certainly help Dunstan, we can afford to play all of Steele, Crouch, Ross, and Dunstan when you know you are winning or nullifying each ruck contests.
When we play with losing ruckmen he is exposed for pace and we look sluggish on the clearances.
Jones Gresham and now Byrnes proving to be crucial ingredients
None of Steele, Crouch, Ross or Dunstan are speedsters. All are valuable players. And yes, we need to mix it up with a bit of speed and creativity.

The question is, given Luke’s outstanding form, does the pecking order change? While he is playing like he is, it is his spot to lose IMO
Another fallacy re Seb Ross. He is amongst the 5 fastest players at the club. Hardy ever gets tackled which you would have noticed if you had been watching Seb closely.

As B M posted earlier in this thread:

"And believe it or not Kent is only behind Hill as far as top speed goes 34.5 (Hill over 35) and Seb Ross can reach 33.9 (he doesn’t look as quick as he is)"
Yeah I saw that and it surprised me. He certainly doesn’t look as quick as that and doesn’t appear to use it as often as he might. Maybe we should play him wing or half forward. Dunstan is better in close.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Seb has played HF and Wing since he’s returned to the team

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 8:10pm Seb has played HF and Wing since he’s returned to the team
Good, so he is not in direct competition with Dunstan for a spot.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Very different player to Luke

Seb is a link player/accumulator gets most of his possessions in general play. Can win clearances at times though.
Very much an inside/outside mid
Dunstan is predominantly inside player who does his best work at stoppage

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 8:55pm Very different player to Luke

Seb is a link player/accumulator gets most of his possessions in general play. Can win clearances at times though.
Very much an inside/outside mid
Dunstan is predominantly inside player who does his best work at stoppage
Yeah I get that. It is good that there is room for both. How would you categorise Crouch? More like Seb or more like Dunstan.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Good question - bit of a combination

Definitely a clearance player, much more so than Seb

But is also a massive accumulator

I see him as a better player than both

Better accumulator in general play than Luke (although Luke is white hot atm)
Better stoppage player than Seb

I really rate Crouch - Disposal is only average though

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I can absolutely understand Luke’s anger.

Interesting how the club basically tells some players they won’t be picked no matter how well they’re going, and others they won’t be dropped no matter how bad they’re going.

Doesn’t seem like the best way to create a good culture.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Never heard him being told he wouldn't be picked. Just that he was well down the pecking order. Nothing wrong with their honesty, and kudos to Luke for making it back and demanding a spot.
Don't think he is angry, i think he is just very focused at the moment.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintDippa
Club Player

If we're thinking Byrnes/Bytel = Dunstan for 2022 (also then Steele can get the #7) then the way he's playing to get a grunt inside mid Port/Crows would have to cough up a first rounder to get him (stockpiled for BKing).

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I think he is gone, if another club offers him more than one year he would be mad not to take it. It has been very clear he is not part of future plans and it makes complete sense he is playing for his career. The crapy thing is, he's been given so much opportunity after being in the system for 8 years and it's a common tale for a player to have a complete attitude adjustment after being told you are no longer wanted. It's sad and unfortunate but I'm guessing he and the club have reached a point of no return and we should just accept his good performances while they last. Personally I don't think he can sustain his current form, 100 odd games is a very large sample size and that's what I'd be basing my decisssions on if I was a list manager.

Let's hope Bytel can develop quickly in 2022.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Surely we don't believe Dunstan is a 'must' sign.. honestly, anyone thinking his disposal is even close to acceptable is not watching. He's been good but, just watch his kicking skills and tell me he's worth more than 600-650..
Billings is the must sign not him.
Bytel is definitely the one.. we can only play tops 2 in the one team out of Crouch Bytel and Dunstan

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 9:15pm I can absolutely understand Luke’s anger.

Interesting how the club basically tells some players they won’t be picked no matter how well they’re going, and others they won’t be dropped no matter how bad they’re going.

Doesn’t seem like the best way to create a good culture.
No way that is true.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SaintDippa wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 10:11am If we're thinking Byrnes/Bytel = Dunstan for 2022 (also then Steele can get the #7) then the way he's playing to get a grunt inside mid Port/Crows would have to cough up a first rounder to get him (stockpiled for BKing).
Che? A first rounder for Dunstan? Really? Sheesh - mid 2nd rounder at best.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan's strength of character has been shown in the way he has challenged himself and fought back from poor form and injuries, never dropping his head but digging in to the point that he is now a vital part of the team.

To suggest that if he should leave at season's end would be a sign of poor character is a f****** insult.

But hey,the same poster recently claimed that I was also of poor character. Must be his most recent buzz term. I had a quiet chuckle over that post nevertheless. :wink:
Last edited by saynta on Mon 12 Jul 2021 1:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

shrodes
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote: Sun 11 Jul 2021 11:37pm Never heard him being told he wouldn't be picked. Just that he was well down the pecking order. Nothing wrong with their honesty, and kudos to Luke for making it back and demanding a spot.
Don't think he is angry, i think he is just very focused at the moment.
Tom Morris is saying it
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-ne ... 5d3c0eaa1c
“Luke Dunstan was told in late March after Round 1 that he wouldn’t be playing seniors at all this year,” Morris said.
FWIW I find it extremely unlikely, bordering on ridiculous that any AFL club would tell ANY player after round 1 that they wouldn't be playing for the rest of the year. You need upward pressure from your fringe players for a successful side, not for them to become disinterested and disenfranchised.