Dunstan, Long and Dmac

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan, Long and Dmac

Add a bit of grunt and physicality to our team.

Liked them all tonight.

Especially liked Long up forward... 4 tackles and a goal. Was surprised to see he only had 9 touches. Felt more involved than that. Want to see some more of him

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunstan, Long and Dmac

Long gets crucified by the umpires. Pinned a Tiger player 20 out and he threw it play on. Got taken front in a couple of times play on.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
realdeal
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 1:01am Long gets crucified by the umpires. Pinned a Tiger player 20 out and he threw it play on. Got taken front in a couple of times play on.
Totally, missed a couple of gettable snaps to make a further impact too

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Loved Long’s game, gave him a vote

His fwd pressure and attack on the ball was outstanding

DMac
Very limited player, but had a pretty good game

Dunstan
BOG comfortably

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

These guys are the scapegoats whenever we lose. The forum goes bananas with people telling us what they 'çan't do' and not what the can do!!

Everyone has faults, but you can't question the endeavour, the aggression and the competitiveness of all 3

...not to mention an element of mongrel which you have to have to beat the good sides

Sorry..forgot to add a big shout out to all the knobjockeys and perfect footballers out there who come on here and hang it on these 3

...You know who you are!! I'm sure you'll be back to constantly hang it on these 3 after St Kilda suffers a bad loss

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 3:13am These guys are the scapegoats whenever we lose. The forum goes bananas with people telling us what they 'çan't do' and not what the can do!!

Everyone has faults, but you can't question the endeavour, the aggression and the competitiveness of all 3

...not to mention an element of mongrel which you have to have to beat the good sides

Sorry..forgot to add a big shout out to all the knobjockeys and perfect footballers out there who come on here and hang it on these 3

...You know who you are!! I'm sure you'll be back to constantly hang it on these 3 after St Kilda suffers a bad loss
I happen to have a good deal of respect for DMac, S. High effort player, always honest, not drowning in self belief, but keeps having a crack. Very good athlete, short a little poise from time to time, sure, but the beaming grin when he strikes a blow for the right side of the argument is always worth seeing.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
stkfc1
Club Player

Really liked Long forward as we were playing Geary. Defensive pressure excellent and could have snagged a few. Also as we know umps don't like him so I'd rather him giving free kick away in our F50 and not the opposition. Play Leo in Coffield role. DMac is such a great athlete. His effort is amazing. Tries his guts out. That's all you can ask.
Dunstan has been just outstanding. Obviously worked on his fitness and paying dividends now. Well done.

Laurie
Club Player

Play long on the half forward line great pressure has mongrel about and is quick.
Loved his game.
Dmac tries hard and kicked 2 great goals.Effort is what its all about and he gave that last night.
Dunstan has played 3 good games since returning BOG by a mile absolutely creamed Cotchin.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I like DMac. He makes a few blunders, but is a real goer. Two goals in a low-scoring affair is a worthy effort.

Long Term Injury
Club Player

I happen to have a good deal of respect for DMac, S. High effort player, always honest, not drowning in self belief, but keeps having a crack. Very good athlete, short a little poise from time to time, sure, but the beaming grin when he strikes a blow for the right side of the argument is always worth seeing.
[/quote]

Post of the year! Fantastic. Couldn’t agree more

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Thought they all brought something similar - heart and guts. We need that every week.

Always loyal
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 12:59am Add a bit of grunt and physicality to our team.

Liked them all tonight.

Especially liked Long up forward... 4 tackles and a goal. Was surprised to see he only had 9 touches. Felt more involved than that. Want to see some more of him
Re: Longy - I am on record as saying that on here all season and a lot of sainters on here have disagreed with me vehemently.

For mine, his whole mindset and temperament is that of a forward. He's dangerous too if he isn't locked down as well.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 1:51pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 12:59am Add a bit of grunt and physicality to our team.

Liked them all tonight.

Re: Longy - I am on record as saying that on here all season and a lot of sainters on here have disagreed with me vehemently.

For mine, his whole mindset and temperament is that of a forward. He's dangerous too if he isn't locked down as well.
I agree.

It was "pleasing" to see our much and often maligned players all do well.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I’ve always liked Long as he brings a bit of Stevie Baker mongrel this at times vanilla side lacks
He’s perfect up forward just leave him settle!!
Quietly...,Battle also had 20 and I thought did ok but was less sure where he was playing at times
DMac - needs to do what Dunstan has done ....put together a solid 4/6 weeks of good footy ....I’ve been sucked in by his 1 good game in the past
Dunstan - has to have the belief he belongs IF he can manage his disposals ie play within his limits he has the ability to win his ball and shut down offence
All did well last night but I do think in fairness Tigers were abs are not what they used to be..
Do that against Dogs/Dees is the test

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Coffied also did well when he was on the field. Wood was more than okay. Everyone contributed, and I liked the look of Leo. Nice kick.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

We acknowledge that Dunstan, Long & Dmac added much needed grunt.

Missing from the side were Hunter Clark, Billings & Lonie, to be fair quite skilled players.

It's a bit of a conundrum, I like Dunstan, Dmac, Billings & Clark, and would love to play then all.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 3:40pm We acknowledge that Dunstan, Long & Dmac added much needed grunt.

Missing from the side were Hunter Clark, Billings & Lonie, to be fair quite skilled players.

It's a bit of a conundrum, I like Dunstan, Dmac, Billings & Clark, and would love to play then all.
You lost me when you coupled Lonie together with Clark.

I'd rather guys in our forward line who can stick their tackles and hurt the opposition physically.

It's easy to get handball receives. It's also easy to kick soft goals. Guys like DMac can help you win finals. His skills weren't too shabby last night either

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 3:40pm We acknowledge that Dunstan, Long & Dmac added much needed grunt.

I think Lonie has lost me in the skills department
He misses way too much for a player dependent on making the most of limited opportunities

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Long’s an interesting. He debuted as a forward pocket, didn’t really set the world on fire though he had fans and then became a more established player once he went to HBF - though he still has his share of detractors.

Maybe with more experience and self-belief, it’s worth giving him another crack up forward. Goodness knows he has mongrel, works hard and kicks goals

Saints58
Club Player

Big fan of longy he always gives his all and is tough he gets crucified by the umps all the time.
He has speed to burn and never gives up, he is now getting a bit more experience and it shows.
I really think with him in the team along with Dunstan we are a better team and we work harder.
Saying that they both may be gone next season and that would really hurt the team and our toughness.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Problem with long is he has brain snaps and gives away crucial free kicks. If he gets this under control then he should keep playing each week.

Gershwin
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 11:37am I like DMac. He makes a few blunders, but is a real goer. Two goals in a low-scoring affair is a worthy effort.
It was a good day for him. Hard-running got him his first goal and ducking his head got him his second (plus a good kick for goal). Ducks his head too often (as does Long). Not a good trait and indicates panic.
One of his better games because of the two goals but not in our best 30 without many injuries.

summertime and the living is easy ........
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sun 27 Jun 2021 10:40am
bigcarl wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 11:37am I like DMac. He makes a few blunders, but is a real goer. Two goals in a low-scoring affair is a worthy effort.
It was a good day for him. Hard-running got him his first goal and ducking his head got him his second (plus a good kick for goal). Ducks his head too often (as does Long). Not a good trait and indicates panic.
One of his better games because of the two goals but not in our best 30 without many injuries.
I think.our best 22-30 revolves a bit due to potential, rather than reality. Players like Coffield and Clark are best 22 on potential but not necessarily in reality. For Dmac to have had the lay off he has over the last 2 years and come in and impact, despite his deficiencies, he deserves a bit more credit. He has been pivotal in 2 very good wins for the club this year. It isn't X factor, but it must be factored, nonetheless.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 4:36pm Long’s an interesting. He debuted as a forward pocket, didn’t really set the world on fire though he had fans and then became a more established player once he went to HBF - though he still has his share of detractors.

Maybe with more experience and self-belief, it’s worth giving him another crack up forward. Goodness knows he has mongrel, works hard and kicks goals
Long played HBF for Footscray in the VFL before he came to us, but agree. Leave him put.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 27 Jun 2021 11:45am
skeptic wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 4:36pm Long’s an interesting. He debuted as a forward pocket, didn’t really set the world on fire though he had fans and then became a more established player once he went to HBF - though he still has his share of detractors.

Long played HBF for Footscray in the VFL before he came to us, but agree. Leave him put.
He kicked 6 in a preliminary final for Footscray and switched throughout the season.