Is Gary Lyons Job to Bash King??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Gary Lyons Job to Bash King??

Moods wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 1:21am
Teflon wrote: Sun 06 Jun 2021 2:09pm
B.M wrote: Sun 06 Jun 2021 1:17pm I’ll say it again, the best key forwards are peacocks

It’s more an attitudinal thing, which says - I’m the man and I’m better than you!!

From early ages, the best key forwards have swagger
Brereton, Carey, Brown, Reiwoldt, Fevola, Franklin, Walker the list goes on...

All great key forwards think they own the forward 50

Max doubts himself, it’s very obvious he lacks confidence and his hunched shoulders, sunken chest and lack of strength is concerning

The other thing
He lopes around at half pace constantly, forward shouldn’t do that

It’s 100% full pace repeat efforts
Thanks Dermott - it’s all weights and being “tough” like Wayne up forward......seriously 1970s thinking ...
Forget the fact he had **** all help on the day????
What’s the help Naughton gets weekly??? How’s the ball delivered to Naughtin weekly....???? Has Ben King had a full 12 months in the system longer??????
Of course Max has work to do but stop with the cliched drivel around”peacocks” and being tough and face facts King ain’t Lockett.....ffs Nick Riewoldt was no enforcer!! Different style of player and anyone with half a brain can see that
We need King to learn where to run and when......we need balls kicked in the forward 50 not to be kicked along the ground or bombed......we need a forward game plan style that allows King to lead up and jump into space .....he’s 200cms they ain’t going to stop that..right now the way we move the ball into forward 50is comical.
But it’s all because Max isn’t Swarzenegger......funny stuff.
f*** all help all day? He plays as one of 3 key fwds. He should be helping the other key fwds. No one is expecting him to mark everything in sight, but if you listened to the criticism you would have picked up that he needs to get to more contests, and make a contest. Half hearted efforts in the air and generally even worse when the ball hits the ground.

Naughton crashes packs at will. He jumps at the ball with confidence. Has nothing to do with the delivery, it's about the way he presents. He hits packs hard. Yeah he's in a better team. That's a cop out though. Max needs to play to his strengths. I can barely remember a time when he's charged out on a lead. The ball hits his hands in a pack and he looks like he has perfect position and then he drops it. The 'kid' has just signed a giant sized contract. If these 'kids' want the huge money they need to start performing.

Roo may well have been no Carey or Brown but he was way tougher than most have ever given him credit.

As a club we need to stop pissing in his pocket and giving him cringeworthy nicknames like 'Winx' and let him prove himself.

So, I partly agree with you. Yes we need to play to Max's strengths and our fwd 50 craft certainly needs improvement. BUT Max needs to help himself as well. What B.M. has said may well be full of of 1980's clichés but there's more than a ring of truth to them. He simply has to show more mongrel. Very few KP forwards get away with being good blokes. Roo was one, but he ran like the wind to get away from them, and he had a burning competitiveness like no player I've ever seen. King signs a big boys contract he needs to start presenting and playing like a big boy.
Where was Battle ALL DAY??????????
Where was his help when Membrey was in defence??
**** me who is there as support again ???
I’d also argue with an injury King (as Lyon and other peanut commentators had to acknowledge) had a hand in setting up 2-3 other goals and kicked 1 himself ....and yep, he still didn’t have a great day but 29 games in and injured I’m prepared to cut him some slack ??
And don’t pretend Naughton doesn’t get silver service....I’m sure Max would love the Bont running out of centre lace out...
And why doesn’t he lead up??? Why is he not pushed deep with space left to lead into infront of him????? I think you’ll find that’s our cr@p forward line structure right there...non existent and relying on miracle goals
Scollop is right - King needs a spell and I couldn’t care less about a nothing Crows game....seasons done....I’d rest him up into the bye and tell Battle ....here’s your chance mate??

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Battle

F***, he’s been worse than King!!!

If ever a player has run on tram tracks

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Battle had a about 5 possessions. One decent mark. He's been putrid. Should play 3 weeks at Sandy. I now understand why he was pick 35 or so.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Is he tradeable? Worth anything?
We are going to have to find things....

“Yeah….nah””
mcadam05
Club Player

Lyon spends 2hrs on Saturday going Max , yet 2days later doesnt even mention him Interesting either stand by what you say or dont say it in the first place . Just weak as piss

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Id be gutted if we traded Battle without giving him a chance to settle in a position for a few weeks in a row.

He had his best stretch when we played him as CHB for about y rounds in a row.....we haven't currently got a CHB, give the kid a go.

It would be very StKilda to get 50 games into a kid, play him all over the ground week to week, undermine is confidence and then flog him off at the end of the year.
We'd get a second rounder for him if we were lucky.

Meanwhile Hawthorn would pick him up, settle him into 3rd tall forward or a Jake Lever style intercept defender and he'd have a great career.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 10:57pm Lyon spends 2hrs on Saturday going Max , yet 2days later doesnt even mention him Interesting either stand by what you say or dont say it in the first place . Just weak as piss
Was interesting wasn’t it???
Spends the entire game mercilessly potting King then gets on his show where he has the chance to back up his game day comments and......squibs it???
Perhaps Ratten on 360 just before asking that the criticism be consistent across the board struck a nerve???
I’m just embarrassed we let Lyon have the microphone in Spuds game....he’s a front running show pony who singlehandedly puts me of Dees winning a flag...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 11:32pm Id be gutted if we traded Battle without giving him a chance to settle in a position for a few weeks in a row.

He had his best stretch when we played him as CHB for about y rounds in a row.....we haven't currently got a CHB, give the kid a go.

It would be very StKilda to get 50 games into a kid, play him all over the ground week to week, undermine is confidence and then flog him off at the end of the year.
We'd get a second rounder for him if we were lucky.

Meanwhile Hawthorn would pick him up, settle him into 3rd tall forward or a Jake Lever style intercept defender and he'd have a great career.
I tend to be agree I think Battle is a work in progress and what we’d get in return doesn’t justify the trade

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 9:42pm Battle had a about 5 possessions. One decent mark. He's been putrid. Should play 3 weeks at Sandy. I now understand why he was pick 35 or so.
Bit harsh on Josh. I don't think he's going to cement a spot as our second ruck but I'd love to see him get a crack as a permanent forward for 3 weeks

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Lyon is paid to commentate so he has to come up with some sort of drivel. It could just be that he sees great promise in King and is frustrated that he is not quite there yet. Well, these things take time.

Anyway, Max could take a lesson from the game of “Missy” Higgins. Present, present, present. Especially when things aren’t going your way.

The kicking for goal? Not so much.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought that usually, Higgins is one of our better kicks at goal. Usually.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 08 Jun 2021 2:16pm I would have thought that usually, Higgins is one of our better kicks at goal. Usually.
He is. Just had one of those days. The bonus is he is only 22 and will take something out of it. He’s going to be a good player for a long time

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Tue 08 Jun 2021 3:16pm
saynta wrote: Tue 08 Jun 2021 2:16pm I would have thought that usually, Higgins is one of our better kicks at goal. Usually.
He is. Just had one of those days. The bonus is he is only 22 and will take something out of it. He’s going to be a good player for a long time
Agree King and Higgins will be a great one two punch going forward.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 08 Jun 2021 12:40am
mcadam05 wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 10:57pm Lyon spends 2hrs on Saturday going Max , yet 2days later doesnt even mention him Interesting either stand by what you say or dont say it in the first place . Just weak as piss
Was interesting wasn’t it???
Spends the entire game mercilessly potting King then gets on his show where he has the chance to back up his game day comments and......squibs it???
Perhaps Ratten on 360 just before asking that the criticism be consistent across the board struck a nerve???
I’m just embarrassed we let Lyon have the microphone in Spuds game....he’s a front running show pony who singlehandedly puts me of Dees winning a flag...
He is as weak as piss. God only knows what Mrs Brownless saw in him. :roll: :roll: