King signs until 2026

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: King signs until 2026

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 19 May 2021 11:11am
chook23 wrote: Tue 18 May 2021 6:32pm
Wayne42 wrote: Tue 18 May 2021 6:10pm God news about Max.
I expect Ben to recommit to the Suns.
agree
Not. f*** the Sun's. A failed project.
And we are a roaring success :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Wed 19 May 2021 11:50am
agree
We have culture and history. St Kilda is one of the most iconic suburbs in Australia!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 19 May 2021 12:35pm
agree
We have culture and history. St Kilda is one of the most iconic suburbs in Australia!
We do have history, 27 wooden spoons, what does the club have to do with the suburb, nothing since 1965.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

This is not going to be a popular opinion...

I think it’s wrong.
I think it’s too early.

Max is already overloaded. And now the comparisons with Ben will come thicker and faster than ever.

Last thing he needs...

Now the papers will play, ‘The heavily paid newly contracted recruit was moved to the wing in a desperate attempt to.....’

‘Meanwhile brother Ben continues to excel at Gold Coast kicking......’

At some point, mark my words, someone is going to tap a struggling Maxy on the shoulder and say, ‘What do Tony Locket, Barry Hall, Lance Franklin and Bobby BaldSack have in common?’
Maxy: ‘What?’
Person: ‘They all benefited from getting out of the fishbowl spotlight, moved interstate and thrived’...
Maxy: so what are you suggesting?
Person (up to know good): why not consider Sydney’s offer? Or Gold Coasts? And join Ben. Your brother is thriving away from all these expectations. You don’t know how to tie your laces up at this point, and the journos are all over you as you fumble and stumble...
Maxy: I’ll speak to agent.
Person up to know good: that’s my boy!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Wed 19 May 2021 12:45pm
magnifisaint wrote: Wed 19 May 2021 12:35pm
agree
We do have history, 27 wooden spoons, what does the club have to do with the suburb, nothing since 1965.
The name, it's birthright. There's your link.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 19 May 2021 1:29pm This is not going to be a popular opinion...

I think it’s wrong.
I think it’s too early.

Max is already overloaded. And now the comparisons with Ben will come thicker and faster than ever.

Last thing he needs...

Now the papers will play, ‘The heavily paid newly contracted recruit was moved to the wing in a desperate attempt to.....’

‘Meanwhile brother Ben continues to excel at Gold Coast kicking......’

At some point, mark my words, someone is going to tap a struggling Maxy on the shoulder and say, ‘What do Tony Locket, Barry Hall, Lance Franklin and Bobby BaldSack have in common?’
Maxy: ‘What?’
Person: ‘They all benefited from getting out of the fishbowl spotlight, moved interstate and thrived’...
Maxy: so what are you suggesting?
Person (up to know good): why not consider Sydney’s offer? Or Gold Coasts? And join Ben. Your brother is thriving away from all these expectations. You don’t know how to tie your laces up at this point, and the journos are all over you as you fumble and stumble...
Maxy: I’ll speak to agent.
Person up to know good: that’s my boy!
Fair points, but he is already dealing with that pressure.
Take the contract question out of the picture...one less pressure.
He will be a gun...an absolute gun.

We can now work on Ben with relative impunity...."we'll offer you the same Benny Boy...come home....you know you want to..."

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SUNS “UPSET” BY SAINTS CEO'S BEN KING COMMENTS

Gold Coast aren't happy with St Kilda CEO Matt Finnis’ comments about their key forward Ben King, reports SEN's Sam Edmund.

Finnis was asked on 3AW last week about the possibility of reuniting Ben with his twin brother Max at the Saints.

“He’d look good, wouldn’t he?” Finnis said.

According to The Herald Sun, St Kilda is “expected to launch a massive bid to poach” King from the Suns with his contract due to expire at the end of 2022.

Max has reportedly agreed to a four-year deal worth over $3 million that ties him to the Saints until the end of 2026.

x close
“Gold Coast are upset by Matt Finnis’ comments recently that Ben King would look good in a Saints jumper,” Edmund told SEN Breakfast.

“This sort of bullish commentary comes around because they’ve got Max signed up on the dotted line.

“Now Ben King has signed up until 2022, the Suns are completely relaxed about it, they tell me.

Stay up to date with all the latest news from SEN. Sign up HERE.

“There’s no talks on a new deal yet, there doesn’t have to be because they say Ben’s happy, he’s playing good football, there’s no rush, it’ll happen in good time.

“But this will be a debate that will go on for the entirety of their careers, because the Saints are going to keep coming, mum and dad live around the corner from Moorabbin, they’re lifelong Saints supporters.”

Ben is developing nicely at the Suns with 25 goals and 11 behinds already under his belt this season. Max has found the going tougher in front of goal.

The young Saint has kicked 13.18 and ranks second for total behinds in the competition.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Get him Saints
We will need 2 first rounders we have 1 next year plus need to move out a player for another....a highly touted HFF comes to mind....if we snaffled a second back our way we’d be bandits.
Pay him same as Max and retire Hannebery $$ use it on King
You know it makes sense.....

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 19 May 2021 11:59pm Get him Saints
We will need 2 first rounders we have 1 next year plus need to move out a player for another....a highly touted HFF comes to mind....if we snaffled a second back our way we’d be bandits.
I think we will need at least 2 top ten picks to get Bing, we might get 1 for finishing in the bottom 4 next year :shock: but how do we get the 2nd one ?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 20 May 2021 12:18am
I think we will need at least 2 top ten picks to get Bing, we might get 1 for finishing in the bottom 4 next year :shock: but how do we get the 2nd one ?
On track now for about pick 9???....lose next few and the first pick takes care of itself...,
JB.....works some magic....Nth keen....if they offer 7,8,900k run jacky boy !!!
That’ll help nicely thanks
Actually anything over 650 k for Billings I wouldn’t match

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 20 May 2021 12:30am
On track now for about pick 9???....lose next few and the first pick takes care of itself...,
Bing is contracted until end of 2022, we won't get him before then.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 20 May 2021 12:32am
Teflon wrote: Thu 20 May 2021 12:30am
Bing is contracted until end of 2022, we won't get him before then.
As media stated Saints will certainly ask the question this year
Yes, GC can say no
Next year he’s out of contract .....that’s harder for them
Rankine and Lukoscious out next year too....clubs will come
If B King says he wants to go they’d be mad not to secure a better deal now
Pump yourself up Wayno I’ve been at wakes with more get up and go ffs !!

“Yeah….nah””
carn_sainter
Club Player

Why is it so important that we get Ben King?

Nobody thinks we should trade for another key forward not called King, so is it just because it would be nice to have twins or is it actually what we need? Especially given it would come with a huge opportunity cost

I'm sure the club will try at all costs though since the marketing department seems to be more important than the football department at St.Kilda unfortunately

I also think if Max is getting 750k over 4 years the contract is absolutely on potential not present value and we've possibly gone too early

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote: Thu 20 May 2021 1:03am Why is it so important that we get Ben King?

Nobody thinks we should trade for another key forward not called King, so is it just because it would be nice to have twins or is it actually what we need? Especially given it would come with a huge opportunity cost

I'm sure the club will try at all costs though since the marketing department seems to be more important than the football department at St.Kilda unfortunately

I also think if Max is getting 750k over 4 years the contract is absolutely on potential not present value and we've possibly gone too early
I just like to collect Kings? :roll:

Seriously, if you can’t see how 2 Kings would work in our forward half.....like Darling , Kennedy (Allen) and can’t see how both these playing high CHF and FF respectively could mean for our potency up forward ....we are in trouble. You have 2 super stars of the comp. They aren’t just plodders ....both love the club (twins a nice feel good story but park that)..... how often does that come around St Kilda way in terms of genuine opportunities?? Ofcourse we pay on potential....all 20yr olds are being paid on potential...we hoped N Riewoldt would become a champ ....it was off the back of potential..

If you’re worried about Max at 750k a year (think Carlton paying Williams 8/900 for a HBF...and it’s much easier to digest) and you’re worried if he’ll be any good think about the below numbers in just year 2 of his football career

He is taking 2.4 contested marks (up from 1.7 last year) which is equal 9th in the AFL (tied with Charlie Dixon amongst others).

3.8 shots of goal (1.6 Goals, 2.2 Behinds) which is up from 2.3 last year.

Marks are up from 3.2 to 4.9 a game.

Inside 50's up from 1 to 1.9.

Contested possessions up from 4.9 to 6.4.

Marks inside 50 up from 1.7 to 3.0.

Score involvements up from 3.8 to 6.1.

He has seriously improved. Can't wait to see where he gets to in the next 12 months. If he can get his goal kicking fixed, he is going to seriously tear the competition apart.

Looking at most of the best key forwards at the moment. It takes 3-5 years to really develop. I expect by the end of the contract, it will be a bargain.

“Yeah….nah””
carn_sainter
Club Player

Oh, i don't think Max is being overpaid as such...he'd probably get that money anywhere but he's not that good yet. You're right that you pretty often pay on potential. Fact is we didn't really need the extension now, could have waited

Anyway, let's say Ben stays at GCS...is our priority still a key forward? This is really my question...i think we still need gun midfielders much more. Forgoing midfield talent just to sign a twin in a position we need less than midfield would be a mistake, especially if they play similar roles or in similar style

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote: Thu 20 May 2021 2:01am Oh, i don't think Max is being overpaid as such...he'd probably get that money anywhere but he's not that good yet. You're right that you pretty often pay on potential. Fact is we didn't really need the extension now, could have waited

Anyway, let's say Ben stays at GCS...is our priority still a key forward? This is really my question...i think we still need gun midfielders much more. Forgoing midfield talent just to sign a twin in a position we need less than midfield would be a mistake, especially if they play similar roles or in similar style
It’s a good question and I hear you on mids (especially ones who can provide outside run/deliver...Merret..) so my take is probably driven by what we are hearing re Ben and that opportunity.

I also think Membrey has struggled in recent times (they put him back recently to get him in the game) .,,I think he’s your ideal 3rd medium tall option with another top line forward in their to free up Max. Some will say that’s Marshall but with Ryder 31 ....I’m not certain he’s not more needed there....

“Yeah….nah””
MickThomas
Club Player

Why even sign him so early.
He's hopeless in his job, which is *kicking goals*.
In a year or two, 'if' he gets as accurate as Bing...and stays competitive, or improves in marking etc, what happens at new contract time?
How much will he ask then?

Remember when 6 players were getting 50% of our cap?

Someone has said 'your bottom 6 is important' or something, maybe saying the talent bats deep
We'll end up with Brett Peake/McQualter types, just GOPs

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

MickThomas wrote: Thu 20 May 2021 9:21pm Why even sign him so early.
He's hopeless in his job, which is *kicking goals*.
In a year or two, 'if' he gets as accurate as Bing...and stays competitive, or improves in marking etc, what happens at new contract time?
How much will he ask then?

Remember when 6 players were getting 50% of our cap?

Someone has said 'your bottom 6 is important' or something, maybe saying the talent bats deep
We'll end up with Brett Peake/McQualter types, just GOPs
You sign him cause if you are GC with AFL backing (if they’re smart) they’d offer him huge coin to join his bros and you can forget Saints after that.
He’s being paid 750 a year - Hannebery meant to be in 800 so I think it’s reasonable- still a gamble but if his trajectory continues it’ll be cheap as chips in 3 years time when he’s dominant
You build sides around King bros - they don’t come around all that often it’s a smart play imo now GC are jammed....can’t entice a reunion so keeping Ben just got harder....

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

In addition Teffers,

The marketing writes itself (Pair of Kings, brothers, avid Saints fans)... it pbly ties both players to the club, gives both an extra layer of support and Ben has the added benefit of having the flexibility of playing back and rotating with a guy like Battle as needed or is desirable

Hard to see a downside

MickThomas
Club Player

The fans, and especially Bana, Warne, and all the rich supporters, and the club, look at Winx as another Roo.
Even Roo said sumthin similar.
Roo was a once in a generation player.
There's the huge hope that Winx is another one

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn