Our support has dropped right off

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Our support has dropped right off

Staggered at the amount of people here tonight. Barely a Saint supporter on eastern side of ground. Still 9 minutes till the bounce but looks like we’ll be lucky to get more than 20k. Wing where our members sit would be lucky to be half 1/3 full

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our support has dropped right off

The probability of an 80 point loss doesn’t make it appealing!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like there’s a few there!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
therabbitinthehat
Club Player

If most of them experienced the same difficulty in getting their tickets as we did, then that would account for a bunch.

Or the parking in the lot, getting searched and sent up to level 1 only to be sent outside to queue up for 10mins in 9deg cold just to be searched again.

All up, a very unfriendly experience which doesn't entice me to want to go to the games under the current restrictions when I can sit on my couch in my nice and warm house and watch us lose winnable games without paying $7 for a meat pie

Cordz2
Club Player

Watching the second term on TV, the crowd sounded incredible. The St.Kilda chants and constant screams of BAAALLL reminded me of Moorabbin. Sounded hostile for the opposition. I haven't heard that passion for a long time. BT even commented positively as the crowd were furious we weren't getting any free kicks.
It was spine tingling.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cordz2 wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 3:45pm Watching the second term on TV, the crowd sounded incredible. The St.Kilda chants and constant screams of BAAALLL reminded me of Moorabbin. Sounded hostile for the opposition. I haven't heard that passion for a long time. BT even commented positively as the crowd were furious we weren't getting any free kicks.
It was spine tingling.
Agree. I was disappointed with the number, but rapt with the passion shown by those of us who did attend.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

18,000 watched Richmond beat GWS.

Richmond!!

Fans in Melbourne...are pretty sickly in general. WA and SA and even NSW boost the numbers..

AFL continues to deny their heartland and piss all over the people that made it all happen.- the AFL that is.

Melbourne - cuisine capital of Australia? Yeah..go line up for a Spotless Hot Dog.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Well we don't win often, the game is always played at the other side of the ground, its freezing, trains are crowded, food drink prices are outrageous for the stuff served up, not easy to move from seats unless a dozen kind souls cooperate. Plus some of the crowd seem to be hysterically angry from the bounce and yell the most disgusting stuff or are ad nauseum boring with defeatism.

I doubt our Executive appreciate what the overall experience is like from the warmth of their corporate hospitality boxes and laid on transport. Its primarily for TV and we are props pretty much taken for granted. How about ticketing arrangements and really, body scans. And we pay a pretty penny for the privilege of being shat on. Unsurprising that the only ones attending are irrational optimists like me and Cathy (I don't think I'm a masochist, yet).

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 9:46am Well we don't win often, the game is always played at the other side of the ground, its freezing, trains are crowded, food drink prices are outrageous for the stuff served up, not easy to move from seats unless a dozen kind souls cooperate. Plus some of the crowd seem to be hysterically angry from the bounce and yell the most disgusting stuff or are ad nauseum boring with defeatism.

I doubt our Executive appreciate what the overall experience is like from the warmth of their corporate hospitality boxes and laid on transport. Its primarily for TV and we are props pretty much taken for granted. How about ticketing arrangements and really, body scans. And we pay a pretty penny for the privilege of being shat on. Unsurprising that the only ones attending are irrational optimists like me and Cathy (I don't think I'm a masochist, yet).
This is the price of ‘professionalism’.

Bean counters, KPIs and the likelihood that they will fly the coup for a job in basketball or soccer quicker than Ross Lyon jumps in the Fremantle helicopter.

They have an uphill battle to keep footy relevant and are doing a pretty good job with TV but the ground atmosphere, it’s like going to a public hospital.

Nothing wrong with Spotless hotdogs and chips pers e....but the experience could be soooo much better.
They have no incentive to open their imaginations and let entrepreneurs, foods etc. present or tender ideas.. they just want to minimize risk and oblige their Spotless like contractors..awful.

Reckon a 70s VFA game at the Beach oval can have more variety.

As for Marvel itself...I love the idea of a city venue where PT can get you in and home..,but it might not be pleasant.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 9:46am Well we don't win often, the game is always played at the other side of the ground, its freezing, trains are crowded, food drink prices are outrageous for the stuff served up, not easy to move from seats unless a dozen kind souls cooperate. Plus some of the crowd seem to be hysterically angry from the bounce and yell the most disgusting stuff or are ad nauseum boring with defeatism.
Yeah, i'm done with all that shite, still pay my membership but i'd rather watch it on Foxtel and have a few frothies.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Sanctorum
Club Player

Official crowd: 26,712

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

It's not restricted to us.

Membership numbers are down at a lot of clubs, and average crowds are ~20% down on 2019. We've done incredibly well with our Membership numbers this year

The ticketing is a little bit more difficult (no walkups etc.)
Transport is a little bit more annoying (masks etc)
Facilities at the ground are a little bit harder to get to (ground sectioned off etc.)
A lot of people's wallets are a little bit lighter (some people a lot lighter)

It's the new world we live in - and it's not going back to normal overnight.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote: Mon 17 May 2021 5:48pm It's not restricted to us.

Membership numbers are down at a lot of clubs, and average crowds are ~20% down on 2019. We've done incredibly well with our Membership numbers this year

The ticketing is a little bit more difficult (no walkups etc.)
Transport is a little bit more annoying (masks etc)
Facilities at the ground are a little bit harder to get to (ground sectioned off etc.)
A lot of people's wallets are a little bit lighter (some people a lot lighter)

It's the new world we live in - and it's not going back to normal overnight.
The covid bs does my head in
You can't social distance properly with crowds more than around 30%
So it should be all open like times past ( which would please everyone ) or around 18 k maximum with the covid protocols that they have in place .
I argued that point with a covid Marshall after i was told to move when i was standing watching the game from behind the seats . I re entered the ground just after half time and had the audacity to stand watching for a minute when i was told to move on .
After i told him politely to go f@#$ himself.
I argued that people crowd to get in
Crowd to get out
Crowd to get food
Crowd to get beer
Crowd to get coffee
Crowd to use the dunny
But standing alone behind the seats a metre and a half from anyone else was a crime .

I usually go to a few matches at the g involving teams other than the saints each year as well .
To much effing around this year so i wont bother.

In red white and black from 73
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

I've always had the same reserved seat surrounded by fellow long term fans who have become 'footy friends'. My seat number has always been on my membership card, I can walk up and sit down.

But not this year, no allocated seat on my membership, and no footy friends to sit with, and the drama of organizing a ticket online, the prospect of another 80 point loss.......or watch on TV....with a glass of red and a few friends for dinner.....ummm....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Many people are still avoiding crowds due to Covid 19.

I personally know one couple who have some health issues and they specifically said that they are not attending games at present as they want to be cautious due to Covid 19.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....