Max King to CHB

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Max King to CHB

I always looked beyond the goals, so I kicked through it

The closer I was, the further I looked.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

1965 Saint wrote: Fri 14 May 2021 11:40pm It’s the only way to cure him of his yips
Perhaps move him to the back pocket to play on the resting ruck man?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 12:26pm
B.M wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 12:12pm Just pick something behind the goals and kick to it

He stabs soft little 5 irons that have no energy on the ball, because he is not accelerating through the ball, he can pull or push it.

Goal kicking is almost a closed skill like a golf shot, you need a clear picture in your brain of what you want to achieve (as opposed to what you don’t want!) a set routine and you must back your routine and NOT decelerate
it's amazing how accurately he kicks to team mates - he puts unnecessary pressure on himself when kicking at goal.
He just needs to kick it over the goal umpire's head - visualise him (the goal umpire) as a defender and imagine there's a team mate right behind the umpire waiting to take the mark.
Keep repeating this visualisation technique until it's second nature to him.
This was also a Riewoldt issue at times and he was mocked for it
He came good
King does need a routine that I support as Loyd said yesterday
But he’s also got to be played up forward to learn to cope in those situations and he will
We could also spend some time talking about why Tim Membrey has now kicked more points than goals for a supposed gun goal kicker ??
But let’s pile on 21 yr old Max the second coming..,

“Yeah….nah””
aaron82
Club Player

There is a great big myth that Nick Riewoldt was a poor kick when he first started. That couldn’t be further from the truth, in fact he was a very good kick.

To break it down this is Roo’s career accuracy.

2001-2004 - 120 goals & 69 points 63.49%

2005 - 2008 - 200 goals & 135 behinds 59.75%

2009 - 2012 - 200 goals & 143 behinds 58.30%

2013 - 2017 - 198 goals & 108 behinds 64.70%

Yes, his kicking accuracy improved in the last 5 years but that was a bi-product of G-Train first off & then Kosi retiring with Riewoldt moving deep to full forward.

King’s goal kicking accuracy right now is mind boggling laughable. He is going at 44.92% on top of the handful of out on the full kicks.

This myth that Riewoldt was a poor kick so King will fix his issues is very incorrect. The only way he will improve is having the confidence and desire to be the ‘one’ with ball in hand in front of the sticks much like a Fevola for example who ‘believed’ he could kick them from anywhere.

and that's the bottom line
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

aaron82 wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 1:03pm There is a great big myth that Nick Riewoldt was a poor kick when he first started. That couldn’t be further from the truth, in fact he was a very good kick.

Yes, his kicking accuracy improved in the last 5 years but that was a bi-product of G-Train first off & then Kosi retiring with Riewoldt moving deep to full forward.

King’s goal kicking accuracy right now is mind boggling laughable. He is going at 44.92% on top of the handful of out on the full kicks.

This myth that Riewoldt was a poor kick so King will fix his issues is very incorrect. The only way he will improve is having the confidence and desire to be the ‘one’ with ball in hand in front of the sticks much like a Fevola for example who ‘believed’ he could kick them from anywhere.
Good research. I'd be interested to know the stats for the same number of games of their respective careers. I do understand Roo played early on.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

aaron82 wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 1:03pm There is a great big myth that Nick Riewoldt was a poor kick when he first started. That couldn’t be further from the truth, in fact he was a very good kick.

It’s well known by any who watched his career that Roo had a period where he did have the yips - he’s still ribbed about it on air today.
Your analysis proves he improved last 5 years... wasn’t just he moved closer to goal he also got used to the pressure
I’d also argue he had a far better support system round him early years to take pressure off him than King has got
I’d also go as far to say ground balls, influencing players on the deck ....King is better
He needs help he’s 21 played 23 games FFS
IF he played at Hawks they’d develop him
We’ll be lucky not to break him

“Yeah….nah””
aaron82
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 1:21pm

It’s well known by any who watched his career that Roo had a period where he did have the yips - he’s still ribbed about it on air today.
Your analysis proves he improved last 5 years... wasn’t just he moved closer to goal he also got used to the pressure
I’d also argue he had a far better support system round him early years to take pressure off him than King has got
I’d also go as far to say ground balls, influencing players on the deck ....King is better
He needs help he’s 21 played 23 games FFS
IF he played at Hawks they’d develop him
We’ll be lucky not to break him

My apologies, King is going at 47.94% career so far & I acknowledge your thoughts and feel they’re accurate pardon the pun Teflon. Roo most likely did have the right support systems in place & with experience became a good kick again. I always felt his 2010 hammy robbed him of a lot of power through the ball.

All I know is when he started Riewoldt was a superb king kick evident by watching a lot of goals from 50 on either foot early on in his career.

By comparison Roo was 17 goals & 14 behinds after 26 games at 54.83% so only fractionally better and he improved greatly there after. I’m not as confident on King doing the same as he strikes me as someone who’d rather not be kicking the set shot

and that's the bottom line
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The knock on Roo stems from times we he put himself into positions to win games and missed easy goals, we know that worked itself out and he had some very good kicks for goal around him.
King will come good and he will be a match winner. He wasnt last night but compared to the 3 headed monster at the other end, his other exploits were outstanding.
If we were to trade him, what would we get?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 1:47pm The knock on Roo stems from times we he put himself into positions to win games and missed easy goals, we know that worked itself out and he had some very good kicks for goal around him.
King will come good and he will be a match winner. He wasnt last night but compared to the 3 headed monster at the other end, his other exploits were outstanding.
Vitriol, bile, mocking & hate mail for starters.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 2:29pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 1:47pm The knock on Roo stems from times we he put himself into positions to win games and missed easy goals, we know that worked itself out and he had some very good kicks for goal around him.
Vitriol, bile, mocking & hate mail for starters.
Yes, that and 2 first rounders. Because everyone knows he will come good.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think ppl are being very hard on King. His goal kicking was poor but all throughout the game... especially when it was there to be won, he actually did stuff. He took marks, some contested, worked up the ground, rucked, set up a goal, had shots.

It really irritates me how his errors are highlighted whilst other players that had significantly less involvement in the play get a free pass because they do a few nice things with the little opportunity they have. King could have but didn’t win us the game last night. About half the team if not more had significantly less positive contributions but are being praised for not stuffing up more

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

From Bergholt BF...good poster btw does he still post here ?

Here's some random forwards and their number of contested marks per game in their second season of footy:

Nick Riewoldt: 2.5 from 22 games
Max King: 2.3 from 8 games
Aaron Naughton: 2.3 from 22 games
Levi Casboult: 2.3 from 11 games
Tom Hawkins: 1.7 from 10 games
Harry McKay: 1.5 from 13 games
Jonathan Brown: 1.4 from 25 games
Charlie Dixon: 1.2 from 12 games
Tex Walker: 1.1 from 18 games
Matt Taberner: 1.0 from 9 games
Oscar Allen: 0.9 from 21 games
Josh Bruce: 0.6 from 11 games
Buddy Franklin: 0.4 from 14 games

He's going as well as anyone (except the freak Roo) from that perspective, he's clunking marks like nobody's business, and dropping some because he hasn't got the body strength yet to hold up against full pressure from massive key backs.

Give him a couple of years with full support - and no injuries - and he becomes a serious star. Nothing surer.

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

No one really knows how King will turn out, it's a real wait and see, and hope.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 3:23pm From Bergholt BF...good poster btw does he still post here ?

Here's some random forwards and their number of contested marks per game in their second season of footy:

He's going as well as anyone (except the freak Roo) from that perspective, he's clunking marks like nobody's business, and dropping some because he hasn't got the body strength yet to hold up against full pressure from massive key backs.

Give him a couple of years with full support - and no injuries - and he becomes a serious star. Nothing surer.
Nice stats..
But it is true what some others are saying here...he just looks a tad tentative as he kicks it...and the commentary sometimes points to it too, so it is not just ‘us’ crazy, stressed out, nut cases..poor bastard...I felt for him last night seeing him on the bench pulling his guernsey up over his face to hide his feelings.

My gripe is with Mr. Membrey..and all players within 50m who now swing out as they run up to the (now frozen) man on the mark. They go off their linear track to swing their hips and hook their legs for more penetration. Last night, he kicked straight as an arrow, and straight through the points, from the point of dropping the ball on his foot at the apex of the curve of his run in. Kinda like a bowler over the wicket who suddenly runs around behind the ump, then ends up bowling a straight line....straight to leg slip and four byes!

Come on Members!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 12:26pm it's amazing how accurately he kicks to team mates - he puts unnecessary pressure on himself when kicking at goal...
I think you will find that a very large percentage of players do that. Remember, the most accurate kick of all time had a 70% success rate. He never missed that many kicks to teammates. Both of them found their targets.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 4:17pm
samoht wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 12:26pm it's amazing how accurately he kicks to team mates - he puts unnecessary pressure on himself when kicking at goal...
I think you will find that a very large percentage of players do that. Remember, the most accurate kick of all time had a 70% success rate. He never missed that many kicks to teammates. Both of them found their targets.
I wonder what the rate is from instantly playing on and snapping?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
older saint
SS Life Member

For a kid that has played 26 games to take 10 marks many contested and have 6 shots at goal at 200cm is awesome.

You don't move him because his goal kicking is flawed at the moment you break it down and improve it.
I watched a big strong marking CHF start with us int he 80's who deadset kicking for goal made Matthew Richardson look like Plugger. This bloke was willing to learn worked hard with a coach, got a technique and stuck to it because he believed in it and ended his career kicking at just over 60% i believe.

Get someone who can teach and is proven at doing it involved one on one and be patient . Yes it frustrates the crap out of everyone but how many of us last year got frustrated at the amount of dropped marks he had , now is clunking them from everywhere.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He dropped 2 easy marks last night, at critical moments.

He plays too much footy between the ears atm

Difference between Loewe and King

Marking - Strength (Loewe was strong at 18)
Kicking - Loewe was an atrocious kick and learned how to robotically kick for goal.
King is a good field kick with a nice fluid action, but anxiety gets to him when he has a shot.

King takes a high proportion of his marks contested. When he learns how to lead up and double back and lose his opponents, he will average 10 per game

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 3:51pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 3:23pm From Bergholt BF...good poster btw does he still post here ?

Nice stats..
But it is true what some others are saying here...he just looks a tad tentative as he kicks it...and the commentary sometimes points to it too, so it is not just ‘us’ crazy, stressed out, nut cases..poor bastard...I felt for him last night seeing him on the bench pulling his guernsey up over his face to hide his feelings.

My gripe is with Mr. Membrey..and all players within 50m who now swing out as they run up to the (now frozen) man on the mark. They go off their linear track to swing their hips and hook their legs for more penetration. Last night, he kicked straight as an arrow, and straight through the points, from the point of dropping the ball on his foot at the apex of the curve of his run in. Kinda like a bowler over the wicket who suddenly runs around behind the ump, then ends up bowling a straight line....straight to leg slip and four byes!

Come on Members!
Good call on Membrey he has zero excuse he’s expected to handle it by now
Butler too running in to goals ffs

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Every player in the history of the game misses goals!!!

It’s when you miss more than you kick that it becomes a real issue

Max has kicked 35 goals 38 behinds at this point
Membrey has kicked 201 goals 107 behinds

So yes, he missed 2 goals Friday night

Max missed 5 and has missed more than he’s kicked so far in his career

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Fri 14 May 2021 11:41pm Hasn’t got the tank?

Question for you

Who plays CHB at the moment?

Is there such a position???
Nope, hasn’t been for years now

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 9:34pm Every player in the history of the game misses goals!!!

It’s when you miss more than you kick that it becomes a real issue

Max has kicked 35 goals 38 behinds at this point
Membrey has kicked 201 goals 107 behinds

So yes, he missed 2 goals Friday night

Max missed 5 and has missed more than he’s kicked so far in his career
I think Membrey has now this year just clocked up more points than goals ?????????? For a seasoned senior player (not a 21 yr old kid playing game 23..) when he’s meant to be a goal kicking dead eye????

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Interesting perspective from Cats fan....

We had the exact same thing with tommy hawkins early on. His a pretty reliable kick now.

Patience and not heaping pressure and hype on him.

Literally just practice x 1000 and experience is all that will fix it. The kid is well advanced in terms of output and influence for a second year forward

If you take away the conversion, he was brilliant on friday night. Did all the hard stuff then messed up the easy stuff.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 1:32pm If you take away the conversion, he was brilliant on friday night. Did all the hard stuff then messed up the easy stuff.
I reckon the converting is the hard part. The rest just comes naturally to him.

But yes, he’s a very talented kid and will be right as rain. He’s still only 20 and once he really hits his straps - and he will - look out.

At the moment he still needs some physical presence around him like Marshall or Ryder, which is why Roma’s injury is such a body blow to our hopes of maybe playing finals this season.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 7:05pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 16 May 2021 1:32pm If you take away the conversion, he was brilliant on friday night. Did all the hard stuff then messed up the easy stuff.
I reckon the converting is the hard part. The rest just comes naturally to him.

But yes, he’s a very talented kid and will be right as rain. He’s still only 20 and once he really hits his straps - and he will - look out.

At the moment he still needs some physical presence around him like Marshall or Ryder, which is why Roma’s injury is such a body blow to our hopes of maybe playing finals this season.
Taking contested marks and ranking top 10 AFL in your second season ain’t easy....he will sort the kicking I’m sure ...he may not ever be a T Lockett but who is?

“Yeah….nah””