Umpire umpire umpire

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CarlTaughtMeEnglish
Club Player

Re: Umpire umpire umpire

Curly you’ll be please with Rattens press conference. You might have to start a go fund me to pay the fine.

CarlTaughtMeEnglish
Club Player

The one that was shitting me sitting in the stands was when a defender had a mark/free it would only take a Saints player to look to the side to get called play on. Meanwhile Geelong were able to have multiple start’n’stops, change of minds and milk the clock. It means the Saints players were put under pressure exiting the fifty while Geelong were able to wait on an option. A direct influence the umpires have on the game in scoring position.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Howard clearly handballed it straight over the line. His mistake was not rushing it through for a behind instead.

Umps were pretty terrible though. It sucks to put in your best tackling performance of the season and have the umps decide that there's no need to kick or handball when tackled for this particular game. The passage of play where they missed 5 free kicks in our forward pocket and then the wing was laughable.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The play on calls stood out like pair of rhino balls on a chihuahua - no quicker that our player had the ball in hand and he was told to go - happened multiple times

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
I love the saints!
Club Player

Yep. Utterly rubbish by the umps. Why the Dud keeps bringing up the free kick count I will never know. It really doesn't tell the story of how influential they were in getting Geelong across the line. A true reflection should have been 21-14 our way. Not to mention the absolute howler not to award Steele a 50, which would have made for a certain goal to draw us to within two goals.

In STKFC we trust.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 14 May 2021 11:23pm Appalling from start to finish. The moment we wrapped Selwood up spun him 360 no free then tackled again only to see the ball dropped no free. We tackled like possessed men with no reward 85 tackles for basically zero.

Hill legged no free but holding the ball.

Ryder jumps in the ruck free against goal Geelong.

Howard pinned for deliberate when the umpire clearly got the rule wrong.

Rattas mark hit the ground

Ryder in front pays it to Ratta

Just horrendous umpiring from start to end
You just don’t understand the rules or the game Curly.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 12:01am
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 14 May 2021 11:57pm
CURLY wrote: Fri 14 May 2021 11:52pm
B.M wrote: Fri 14 May 2021 11:51pm I would’ve called it deliberate every day of the week
And you’d be incorrect no offence.
No, he's right, as were the umpires.

Again though, a stupid rule that could be easily amended to the standard every other ball sport uses.

If you are that close to the boundary and pick the ball up and are tackled you can dispose of it in a direct line.
Please send me the link to where that's a defence for deliberate out of bounds...take your time...no rush (excuse the pun).

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 7:36am
CURLY wrote: Fri 14 May 2021 11:23pm Appalling from start to finish. The moment we wrapped Selwood up spun him 360 no free then tackled again only to see the ball dropped no free. We tackled like possessed men with no reward 85 tackles for basically zero.

Pretty sure I do. Hills legs are below his hips equal trip.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 14 May 2021 11:25pm 12-13

Hand balling the ball straight over the boundary is a free every time, in any situation, stop embarrassing yourself.
No one, except you of course would stick up for the maggots after that display

Frees early in the game were 7 to 3 in our favour but from thereon in the pussies received 10 frees to our 5

Oh, and your favoured biased maggot, Fisher was one of the worst offenders.

Glad to see that you are a better judge of a free kick than the coach.....not. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

When is a throw a hand pass? When the maggots and Dudly say so.. :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CarlTaughtMeEnglish wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 1:27am The one that was shitting me sitting in the stands was when a defender had a mark/free it would only take a Saints player to look to the side to get called play on. Meanwhile Geelong were able to have multiple start’n’stops, change of minds and milk the clock. It means the Saints players were put under pressure exiting the fifty while Geelong were able to wait on an option. A direct influence the umpires have on the game in scoring position.
Spot on mate, spot on. :wink:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 14 May 2021 11:58pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 14 May 2021 11:33pm Embarrassing :lol:
What were you say last week, Dud?

You lying hypocrite.
I see you both still can’t fight your obsession :D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 9:57am
SaintPav wrote: Fri 14 May 2021 11:58pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 14 May 2021 11:33pm Embarrassing :lol:
What were you say last week, Dud?

You lying hypocrite.
I see you both still can’t fight your obsession :D
Talking about obsessions, who is obsessed with defending maggots every f****** boring week after week?
Not you Chuck?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 8:23am
Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 7:36am

Pretty sure I do. Hills legs are below his hips equal trip.
Anyone that argues the deliberate oob decision against Howard does not understand the rules and has no clue or feel for the game.

You do not understand the rules or the game, but don’t let that stop you 👍

On the Hill incident, what are the rules about a tackle that originates at the hips and slides down? It used to be deemed a fair tackle years ago, not sure the current rule interpretation. For mine it was a free to Hill.

Oh, and weren’t you instructed by admin to stop accusing the umpires of cheating on the match day thread? You simply have no control Curly. Calling former Saint Leigh Fisher a cheat! What is that about?

Personally I thought that we went unrewarded for the tackles particularly in the 2nd 1/4 where the umpires were very lenient on what constitutes correct disposal and prior opportunity, but other than a few shockers either way for the rest of the game the umpires had little to zero impact on the result.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 10:13am
Anyone that argues the deliberate oob decision against Howard does not understand the rules and has no clue or feel for the game.

You do not understand the rules or the game, but don’t let that stop you 👍

Oh, and weren’t you instructed by admin to stop accusing the umpires of cheating on the match day thread? You simply have no control Curly.
Precisely.

The repeated attacks on the umpires about rules he obviously doesn’t know sums him up perfectly.

This clear trolling is allowed to continue unpunished.

<1 week ban for trolling and baiting (you have shown yourself to be the predominant troller) by accusing another supporter of trolling when they are clearly posting their passionate if not sometimes misguided opinions. Your posts serve no purpose other to cause conflict with those that deem umpiring decisions as incorrect. Even the umpiring department admits they get some calls wrong but your stance is purely posted to inflame the forum.>

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 9:50am
CarlTaughtMeEnglish wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 1:27am The one that was shitting me sitting in the stands was when a defender had a mark/free it would only take a Saints player to look to the side to get called play on. Meanwhile Geelong were able to have multiple start’n’stops, change of minds and milk the clock. It means the Saints players were put under pressure exiting the fifty while Geelong were able to wait on an option. A direct influence the umpires have on the game in scoring position.
Spot on mate, spot on. :wink:
Not to mention what appeared to be a 30 second allowance when the Geelong player was about 70 metres from goal - the shot clock did not come up so obviously no one else thought he was having a shot.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Personally I think the level on interpretation of rules makes the game borderline impossible for a human to adjudicate the game correctly and consistently.

The speed, the angles, the various interpretation required to make split second decisions. I don’t think the umpires cheat or are incompetent (like players some are better than others) I just think the AFL have made interpreting the rules so difficult that anyone who travels with an accuracy of 80% is probably killing it as an umpire.

I’d much rather see frees not paid than soft ones paid in any game.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 10:24am Not to mention what appeared to be a 30 second allowance when the Geelong player was about 70 metres from goal - the shot clock did not come up so obviously no one else thought he was having a shot.
Good call, opposite of Marshall who was going to have a shot and was called play on.

Do you need to signal your intention to the umpire to take a shot?

Furphy
Club Player

Funny how these 'umpire errors' always favour Geelong? Just like they did for Carlton & Hawthorn for more than 20 years

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 14 May 2021 11:51pm I would’ve called it deliberate every day of the week

Again though, a stupid rule that could be easily amended to the standard every other ball sport uses.

If you are that close to the boundary and pick the ball up and are tackled you can dispose of it in a direct line.
I’m pretty sure that’s not a rule.

But it didn’t look like a handball to me. The ball was knocked out in the tackle and was carried over the line by momentum. Pretty hard for the umpire to pick up. You really need Slo mo replay to see it.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Also, what's never mentioned is that the players cheat routinely. They lie about having touched the ball or handballed, they pretend to try and get the ball out when they're sitting on it or holding it in, they "disguise" taking it out of bounds - and they do whatever the hell they like if they think the ump can't see - and get applauded for their professionalism by the commentators.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 10:31am

I’m pretty sure that’s not a rule.

But it didn’t look like a handball to me. The ball was knocked out in the tackle and was carried over the line by momentum. Pretty hard for the umpire to pick up. You really need Slo mo replay to see it.
Agree, I think that’s a Curly rule.

What about the deliberate OOB we got in the 2nd when Smith (?) soccers it off the back flank and toed it and it went out.

Those rules are ambiguous and adjudicated differently from week to week and even quarter to quarter.

For mine whether tackled & ball knocked or not it clearly appeared in fast motion he hand balled it over deliberately and was definitely a free kick against.
Last edited by Joffa Burns on Sat 15 May 2021 11:07am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yep, if it takes 5 slow mo replays from different angles to determine if a decision is correct or not, probably says a bit about how hard the game is to umpire.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 10:54am Yep, if it takes 5 slow mo replays from different angles to determine if a decision is correct or not, probably says a bit about how hard the game is to umpire.
Dudly, the maggots mate, or MM for short. :twisted: 8-) :wink:

repta
Club Player

Was a handball and deliberate.
They need to smarten up. With what 5 holding the balls no incorrect disposal paid all day. He should have done what the Geelong players were doing. Holding on and running it over the line.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 10:28am Personally I think the level on interpretation of rules makes the game borderline impossible for a human to adjudicate the game correctly and consistently.

The speed, the angles, the various interpretation required to make split second decisions. I don’t think the umpires cheat or are incompetent (like players some are better than others) I just think the AFL have made interpreting the rules so difficult that anyone who travels with an accuracy of 80% is probably killing it as an umpire.

I’d much rather see frees not paid than soft ones paid in any game.
Our bastardisation of the rules is the killer. You are quite correct in that it is nigh on impossible for humans to gain any consensus on a correct ruling when we allow interpretation.

Too many grey areas when rules should & could be black & white. It's a simple fix in my opinion but fans will rail against it as somehow the fabric of the game relies on these interpretations.