The 2 mids who hold our season in their hands

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The 2 mids who hold our season in their hands

Steele is Steele. He looks to me like he’s more or less at his peak and pbly going to stay there.
Love the kid

But IMO the guys that have the potential to elevate us now from where we are are Zac Jones and Jack Billings

Jones in particular... if he plays well, we’re in the contest. The guy is tough, fast and relentless. Gets a lot of ball and brings others into the game even if his disposal is a few steps short of elite.
Absolutely love this guy and reckon he’s close to our most important player.

He has two issues though...
1. His hamstrings. Yesterday is what he looks like with a bit of consistency and continuity.
2. He gets targeted. A couple of clubs have taken the direct approach of sinking the boots into him or hitting him hard at every opportunity to get him off his game.

We need a few more enforces

Billings on the other hand is the cream. He’s the guy that when he has a good game, a good quarter etc his elite disposal sets up shot after shot at goal and he drills a few goals himself

The big question is how to consistently get the best out of him and bring him into the game when he’s struggling.

He’s another that if playing the Saints I would absolutely target and try to shut down because when he’s on, he’s elite

What do people think his best role is?

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: The 2 mids who hold our season in their hands

Loving JB off half back/around the wing. He covered a huge amount of ground last night and is so much tougher now than we probably give him credit for. Gets to and influences a surprising number of contests for a smaller guy.

I feel confident with him ball in hand running up the wing; less confident with him up forward with the pressure of a set shot.

Always loyal
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: The 2 mids who hold our season in their hands

Our midfield players must all perform as a group.

As well as Jones and Billings, Crouch, Hill, Steele and Ross all had more than 25 possessions each. The result: small forwards like Higgins and Butler have a day out courtesy of the ball continually rocketing into the forward line.

All made easier by Paddy Ryder palming the ball to our players at centre bounces, I might add.

Saint supporter since '62