Thanks Ryder

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thanks Ryder

Winmar7 wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 9:37am Curly, I hope you're feeling embarrassed by this post this morning. Paddy put in a solid pre season and spent some much needed time with his family after not seeing them for a long time. His absence is not the reasons we have lost.
Seems like he scurried away from this thread pretty quick!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7 wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 9:37am Curly, I hope you're feeling embarrassed by this post this morning. Paddy put in a solid pre season and spent some much needed time with his family after not seeing them for a long time. His absence is not the reasons we have lost.
Not embarrassed at all. He us let his team mates and club down.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
sks023
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 10:39am
Agree ! I know some fifo workers who have done it tough at the height of the border closures and are still doing it tough

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

sks023 wrote: Thu 15 Apr 2021 11:42pm Nankervis did what the f*** he liked tonight
Not just Nankervis. Pickett won his share of the ruck contests too :shock:

Ryder and Marshall both play we are instantly more competitive.

Add Jones and Hannebery we win more of the ball at ruck contests. Add to that Hannebery taking a good player.

Frawley in the back line will help us be a lot more composed down back and stop us leaking 20 goals a game.

These five players need to come in, and with the five non-performers who will come out to accommodate them, we should improve.

It's a shame we will most likely have only two of these players in against Port in Adelaide though. Won't be enough.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

I'm with Curly here, Ryders ongoing absence is a problem.

Mind you I suspect there are a few other problems, Hannabury ongoing absence is a problem, especially considering his salary.

Brad Hill is an ongoing problem, he's clearly not trying and is also collecting a fat salary.

This stuff is damaging our culture.

shrodes
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 10:39am
What a crock. He doesn't owe you or us anything. Have a bit of compassion for a fellow human being and stop being selfish, football is not the centre of the universe.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If I were getting paid 300-400k per annum to play footy

It’d be a bit of a priority.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

It is a huge mistake to put career/work ahead of family. f****** huge mistake.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Pickett won 2 hit outs
Nankervis 40
Lynch 3

Hunter 18
Carlisle 9

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Thu 15 Apr 2021 11:12pm Contracted on 3 times money than most people are on. Your decision to abandon the club when they needed you most had left us floundering.

Carlisle forced out of the back half leaves us exposed. Our mids have no chance at first use when a 3rd grade ruck is playing. You haven’t got much time left in the game and we threw you a lifeline his about paying us back.
I'd like to call you a flat out ar$ehat for this OP however, that'll probably get me a ban so instead I'll simply note you as being an ignorant dolt.

I don't know whether your parents are still alive (I hope they are) but, imagine living in a sporting bubble and at the mercy of State Premiers and their border snap border closures / HQ that prohibit you from seeing them?

The guy hasn't seen his parents and broader family for 18 months. At their advancing age too. FFS. Do you know how many cricketers around the world bailed on their contracts mid-stream last year because they couldn't hack the bubble life anymore and wanted to be actual humans and see their families?

I'd love Ryder to be playing and helping us forward but really, his absence has just highlighted how thin our depth is and how one-dimensional our gameplan is if it largely relies on a ruckman in his early 30's on a 1 year deal. We have MUCH bigger issues.

In closing - I'd like to petition the mods to have a separate "umpires are crucifying us" board that you can only post in.

Go you red, black & white warriors
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Immediate family, in time of need yes.

Otherwise, the ability to provide is a real priority

twirlyhair
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 15 Apr 2021 11:12pm Contracted on 3 times money than most people are on. Your decision to abandon the club when they needed you most had left us floundering.

Carlisle forced out of the back half leaves us exposed. Our mids have no chance at first use when a 3rd grade ruck is playing. You haven’t got much time left in the game and we threw you a lifeline his about paying us back.
Jeez, lowbrow stuff here. Just hope you never suffer from any sort of mental illness buddy. Just how well do you know Paddy and what he has gone through? Best mates hey??? Pathetic stance, particularly after everything that our own club has gone through. If only D.Frawley was here to let you know how wrong you are. You need to grow up champ and understand that you really don't have a clue. Speak less, and think more. Try it.

sks023
Club Player

Was Paddy clinically depressed and not able to get out of bed? Please !

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 5:27pm

I'd like to call you a flat out ar$ehat for this OP however, that'll probably get me a ban so instead I'll simply note you as being an ignorant dolt.

I don't know whether your parents are still alive (I hope they are) but, imagine living in a sporting bubble and at the mercy of State Premiers and their border snap border closures / HQ that prohibit you from seeing them?

The guy hasn't seen his parents and broader family for 18 months. At their advancing age too. FFS. Do you know how many cricketers around the world bailed on their contracts mid-stream last year because they couldn't hack the bubble life anymore and wanted to be actual humans and see their families?

I'd love Ryder to be playing and helping us forward but really, his absence has just highlighted how thin our depth is and how one-dimensional our gameplan is if it largely relies on a ruckman in his early 30's on a 1 year deal. We have MUCH bigger issues.

In closing - I'd like to petition the mods to have a separate "umpires are crucifying us" board that you can only post in.

Parents have a farm over the border in the Upper Murray. Left there last Christmas after the fires and wasn’t able to any family for 12 months. I know exactly what it’s like. When we were finally allowed to cross over I didn’t just abandon my commitments and leave my employees and those that rely on me in the s***.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Very easy to crucify Curly for this OP and possibly deserved. But do any of us know the facts? Like BM has suggested, who is it exactly that Ryder hasn't seen for 12 months? Partner and kids? If so, I am completely supportive of him travelling interstate to see them, regardless of circumstances. That's a non issue.
Siblings and parents? Elders? Sorry, suck it up. You're a professional AFL footballer getting paid a corporate wage. The people paying this wage deserve some respect in return. Laughable people suggesting that family comes first without fully knowing who he is visiting. I see my brother once a year if I'm lucky. He lives in QLD. I'd love to see him more often. Growing up we were really tight. That's part of being a grown adult.
If the Saints sacked him and he was without a wage how important then would it be that he saw his extended family?

the other thing that I'm curious about is the suggestion in a post that Paddy has come back unfit. Are we accepting of that as well IF it's true? I'm certainly not.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

To some people football is life and they selfishly sacrifice family life for their passion, probably miss a lot of things and drag reluctant family members to training/functions. These same people were having a go at Carlisle last year for wanting to be at the birth of his child.

There’s much more important things in life than a game, some need to gain a bit of perspective.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 6:31pm To some people football is life and they selfishly sacrifice family life for their passion, probably miss a lot of things and drag reluctant family members to training/functions. These same people were having a go at Carlisle last year for wanting to be at the birth of his child.

There’s much more important things in life than a game, some need to gain a bit of perspective.
I am one.

The club should not pay for it. Players should have insurance to compensate the club when they leave for personal reasons.

Imagine buying something - call it a bag of pineapples, taking it home without paying fully for it, and telling the shop keeper to forget about because “there is more to life than pineapples.”

Carlisles loss was huge.

What did the team get for it?

What did the other players get? The tacit assumption is now reinforced. You can leave and the club can just eat it, cause there’s more to life than football.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 6:42pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 6:31pm To some people football is life and they selfishly sacrifice family life for their passion, probably miss a lot of things and drag reluctant family members to training/functions. These same people were having a go at Carlisle last year for wanting to be at the birth of his child.

I am one.

The club should not pay for it. Players should have insurance to compensate the club when they leave for personal reasons.

Imagine buying something - call it a bag of pineapples, taking it home without paying fully for it, and telling the shop keeper to forget about because “there is more to life than pineapples.”

Carlisles loss was huge.

What did the team get for it?

What did the other players get? The tacit assumption is now reinforced. You can leave and the club can just eat it, cause there’s more to life than football.
So we should only pay players who are playing? That would actually help our Dan Hannerbry situation a lot!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Cut the apron strings at 16 and moved interstate. Go back to Tas once every two years to see the family.

Our jobs and ability to provide for the immediately family supersede any want/desire to go home

Very close to my family, and as forumites know I love Tas
But we have responsibilities here in Vic, our jobs being the main one, also sport and the kids education.

Not sure why Paddy needed to leave for a month. Personally I would’ve waited until the bye fortnight.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 7:13pm Cut the apron strings at 16 and moved interstate. Go back to Tas once every two years to see the family.

Our jobs and ability to provide for the immediately family supersede any want/desire to go home

Very close to my family, and as forumites know I love Tas
But we have responsibilities here in Vic, our jobs being the main one, also sport and the kids education.

Not sure why Paddy needed to leave for a month. Personally I would’ve waited until the bye fortnight.
I'm with B.M. on this. A month is outrageously long time on the eve of a season when your other main ruckman has been cut down with injury. And really it's longer than that. It's likely he won't be ready until at least Rd 7. That's 7 weeks so he could see family. Meanwhile we are floundering and our main issue appears to be clearance work. No coincidence that when Marshall played last week we won.

I'd suggest that ppl who are happy to give him a green card to basically do what he wants, because 'family is more important' just go and watch local footy. Even at local level I'd imagine players being pissed off if a key player took off because they wanted to see family for a month.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Ahh yep. Professional sport is very selfish. Very few if any athletes who make it are not selfish. It's all about the individual. Paddy is just proving that point for us all.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Cricket is my life

My wife understands the love I have for the great game

Doesn’t mind the sacrifices

Probably enjoys me being out of the house 3 days per week?!?!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The St Kilda curse is a very real thing

Only St Kilda has the unknowing and uncanny ability to shoot themselves in the foot time & time & time again

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Darth Vader
Club Player

Holy crap, one month with the family. I last about 3 days tops. And does anyone really believe he trained while he was there?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Maybe occasionally went for a jog?!

Maybe not??