Marshall out

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Marshall out

So is Rowan out or is it fake news? Becoming gun shy by the constant stream of fake stuff from media, its discombobulating. Nothing on club website? The R. Marshall I saw in the last quarter looked in good form, running, jumping, catching, nicking Nat. Now out for up to 9 weeks? Euphoria then despair. What cruelty is this. Can't fate pick on other team's ruck stocks for its amusement. So hope its a beat up.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Marshall is valuable as he wins his fair share of possessions around the ground.
This is what we will miss most (if he misses).

Hitouts are neither here nor there (they are all over the shop, in fact) - Collingwood the number 1 hitout team, for example, have won 90 more hitouts (than us) so far this year, over the 4 games (208 vs 118), yet we have had 21 more clearances ... we're averaging 5 more clearances approx. per game, with 22 less hitouts per game approx. (if we do a head to head with Collingwood)!
Last edited by samoht on Mon 12 Apr 2021 10:15am, edited 1 time in total.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Will be better off in the long run for snapping it, the muscle literally does nothing. Problem is the resulting bruising and soreness which may be too much for the game on Thursday so might miss a week.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I had plantar fasciitis and if that is what he was suffering from it would be almost impossible to play without a complete numbing jab.
I would get up at times and could barely walk let alone run.
My doctor told me that recovery time could be between 3 to 18 months.
Snapping the plantar fascia entirely can relieve the pain but the damage will take about a week or so to get over but after that he should be fine.
However, there can be some long term effects as the plantar fascia is critical for arch support.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

SinCitySainter wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021 10:28am However, there can be some long term effects (if you deliberately tear the fascia) as the plantar fascia is critical for arch support.
re: after tearing the fascia ...
Can't something be placed in the shoe (under the arch) to provide the support (to the arch) - if needed?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Robert Harvey deliberately ruptured his plantar fascia because it was inflamed. Back playing within 2 weeks, and then played for another 7 years

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021 10:50am Robert Harvey deliberately ruptured his plantar fascia because it was inflamed. Back playing within 2 weeks, and then played for another 7 years
I hope they leave the decision on when he plays ultimately to Rowan. Medical advice is always conservative. Understandably doctors take the route of least risk.

I feel that players such as Riewoldt would have played 100 fewer matches had the club adhered to strict medical advice. They are always carrying a niggle of some sort.

Now I’m not saying be careless or reckless about it, but a player ought to know if he can get through a match.

It’s his body after all

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What if it leads to a serious bone injury?

Proceed with caution.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021 9:34am So is Rowan out or is it fake news?
1/ Injury is confirmed

2/ Though no report yet that I have seen that he is actually out for the next game though.

Banger did not miss a game if I recall.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021 2:02pm What if it leads to a serious bone injury?

Proceed with caution.
What if it doesn’t?

Is that a risk with this condition?

Get the best advice, then leave the call to the player

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

If they have to have an operation for the issue then they miss time, but if it snaps completely then they're good to go. That's why banger jumped off the kitchen table a couple of times until his snapped - meant he was good to go again immediately rather than having surgery and missing weeks.

From memory the G-train also suffered a similar issue a few years later and his snapped during a game.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saint64
Club Player

True Believer wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021 3:17pm If they have to have an operation for the issue then they miss time, but if it snaps completely then they're good to go. That's why banger jumped off the kitchen table a couple of times until his snapped - meant he was good to go again immediately rather than having surgery and missing weeks.

From memory the G-train also suffered a similar issue a few years later and his snapped during a game.
Yes, I recall the G Train one. I think he was suffering with it for a few weeks before it snapped.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021 2:50pm
SaintPav wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021 2:02pm What if it leads to a serious bone injury?

Proceed with caution.
What if it doesn’t?

TBH I have NFI

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021 5:37pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 12 Apr 2021 2:50pm

Proceed with caution.
What if it doesn’t?

TBH I have NFI

As reported above - it has already completely ruptured - so he may not be available for Thursday

It has been giving him pain throughout the pre-season and Saturday Night was when it gave way

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

He played the 2nd half after it tore, so he obviously had a jab. Chances are if the swelling recedes hopefully he will be able to play with some pain relief.

Lennylegs
Club Player

Can you blokes not post pure speculation as statements of fact? Would be much appreciated.

Cheers and go Saints.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Lennylegs wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021 12:27pm Can you blokes not post pure speculation as statements of fact? Would be much appreciated.

Cheers and go Saints.
Yes, the title of this thread was particularly annoying, especially after such a great win.

Sanctorum
Club Player

The fact that the club has remained totally silent on Rowan Marshall's foot problem makes me think that they are giving him time to assess his chances of playing on Thursday night.

If indeed he has simply snapped the plantar fascia, he could well be able to play 5 days afterwards - I experienced total relief after I snapped mine many years ago and was able to run a 10 km event pain free the next day and I haven't had any issues years later.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021 1:39pm The fact that the club has remained totally silent on Rowan Marshall's foot problem makes me think that they are giving him time to assess his chances of playing on Thursday night.

If indeed he has simply snapped the plantar fascia, he could well be able to play 5 days afterwards - I experienced total relief after I snapped mine many years ago and was able to run a 10 km event pain free the next day and I haven't had any issues years later.

Agree, I think it is that they are waiting to see exactly what it is likely to be like on game day.

So they may well make the decision to play him on the day of the game.

If all goes well he will be playing.

longtimesaint
Club Player

He was out on the ground for a short time at training this morning.
Didn’t join in full training but not hampered.
Ryder Iin full training with the other players that look like being in Sandy’s team this weekend.

One year will be our year
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021 1:39pm The fact that the club has remained totally silent on Rowan Marshall's foot problem makes me think that they are giving him time to assess his chances of playing on Thursday night.

I think you could be right, the last word on the matter I can recall was by Ratts after the game claiming he is ok and therefore no need to say anything else unless things change.

Tomorrow's game is massive so I have a feeling RoMa will be pumped full of magic juice and coffee pills.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021 1:48pm

I think you could be right, the last word on the matter I can recall was by Ratts after the game claiming he is ok and therefore no need to say anything else unless things change.

Tomorrow's game is massive so I have a feeling RoMa will be pumped full of magic juice and coffee pills.

Yes massive game. If we can knock Richmond off it it will really get our season back on track both in terms of games won, but more importantly in terms of self-belief. Roma being able to play will be a huge component of us being good enough to knock off the Tigers. Roma/Carlisle vs Nankervis is ok for us, and Roma's ability around the ground is huge for us.

I would love Paddy in too, but all the signs seem to be him playing with Sandy. Hopefully he can make the team to play Port.

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021 2:27pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 13 Apr 2021 1:48pm

Yes massive game. If we can knock Richmond off it it will really get our season back on track both in terms of games won, but more importantly in terms of self-belief. Roma being able to play will be a huge component of us being good enough to knock off the Tigers. Roma/Carlisle vs Nankervis is ok for us, and Roma's ability around the ground is huge for us.

I would love Paddy in too, but all the signs seem to be him playing with Sandy. Hopefully he can make the team to play Port.
Gee I'd be almost willing to roll the dice on Paddy if RoMa doesn't come up. Just keep him forward mostly and back in Jake to take most of the ruck duties.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It will be McKernan And Carlisle I suppose. Marshall rested, and our senior other big boy just not ready yet...

Worst case scenario, Marshall is only 65%, plays at 55% intensity and often rested, aggravates the injury in the last quarter and we lose anyway.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!