Jack Bytel? How good? 2021. Opinions?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Jack Bytel? How good? 2021. Opinions?

What do you think?

I am trying to get my head around Zac Jones being a constant injury threat now.

Please be honest. How good is he? He hasn’t impressed much yet obviously, but that Geelong thrashing was a shocker of a game.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Bytel? How good? 2021. Opinions?

Very surprised how good he is overhead. Looked very likely up forward. That's the end of Dean Kent.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Bytel looked good in the 1/4 he played against Carlton, but I think he has to bide his time as there are a few more senior players ahead of him.

older saint
SS Life Member

think we will see glimpses during the season but will not be a regular, showing enough to know there is upside, secure a senior spot in 2022

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 12:41pm Bytel looked good in the 1/4 he played against Carlton, but I think he has to bide his time as there are a few more senior players ahead of him.
Really?
I was thinking our midfield is not the strongest going around. So I’m hoping Jack B is a Jack in the box.

Not trying to be antagonistic, but Hannas and Jones will be injured. Crouch is possibility a solid B grader, Ross B ish?, Billings and Gresh haven’t been midfield stars (won’t ?) Steele and Hunter are great. Sinclair still has a chance, but looks like a flanker now. Hill is top notch but has quiet ones.

Our mid field is middle of the ladderish at best, I would say.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I think his best opportunity to crack into the side will be round 1 and 2 based on Dan and Brad sitting in the stands. If he isn't selected by round 3 I'd say he is going to have a real fight on his hands if all our first choice top liners are fit and firing.

What we need is for him to make a compelling argument for selection when our best midfielders are in fact fit and firing. If he can't do that in 2021 then it will start to look like all the hype was just hype.

He has a real challenge ahead making it into the best 22, is he good enough is a question that will only be answered in about 10 to 20 weeks time.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Good to have a kid of his obvious potential putting pressure on the incumbents. Let’s not forget Dunstan either, a solid in and under who may be better than just “depth” in close. Deceptively strong player

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 2:19pm Good to have a kid of his obvious potential putting pressure on the incumbents. Let’s not forget Dunstan either, a solid in and under who may be better than just “depth” in close. Deceptively strong player
Indeed.

Again, not a top flight player, but he was selected on Rd One last year. If Bytel becomes yet another forward-part-time-midfielder, I think we'll have the largest contingent of them in the league. We'll have invented a new position.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well it is very early days yet. But when you watch him it just screams classy genuine inside mid. I would just love to get some more senior games into him to see how good he is, and what he may become.

But right now and based on very few actual games of any kind he potentially may be the best genuine inside mid that we have directly drafted for a long long time. Really good hands, and very quick to use it well.

He may go nowhere of course. ie Acres had all the tools, but he just could not nail it often enough.
Dunstan has the grunt, has the right attitude, but just lacks the polish and dash.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

In and out of the side in the first half of the year, cemented in the starting 18 by finals.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 1:41pm I think his best opportunity to crack into the side will be round 1 and 2 based on Dan and Brad sitting in the stands. If he isn't selected by round 3 I'd say he is going to have a real fight on his hands if all our first choice top liners are fit and firing.

What we need is for him to make a compelling argument for selection when our best midfielders are in fact fit and firing. If he can't do that in 2021 then it will start to look like all the hype was just hype.

He has a real challenge ahead making it into the best 22, is he good enough is a question that will only be answered in about 10 to 20 weeks time.
With all due respect Vortex, you've always downplayed his abilities and where he is in the pecking order. Quite rightly in some respects so I understand your reasoning.

However, each opportunity has shown a player of class and courage. Not bad for a then 18 year old trying to overcome a debilitating back injury. I think he's done enough to be considered more than a fill in for Hanners, Crouch & Jones. He's more class than Dunstan, just not the experience. He's just the mid we should get excited about in my opinion. All our others are known commodities.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Slow Burn IMO

Similar sort of projection to Armitage and Ross

A few years to build and the a solid contributor

His disposal by foot a concern

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It didn't tweak until now, but definitely seems like an Armo clone. That's a bloody good thing.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 6:07pm Slow Burn IMO

Agreed and hope he can tidy up his kicking

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I agree very good by hand but his foot skills are not as polished but hey still young & seems to have over come his back issues (touch wood) so all in all I think if we get more games we get into him he will only get better

spert
Saintsational Legend

Bytel has a lot of upside- strong body and doesn't get pushed off the ball easy in the packs, plus he is balanced when he disposes of the ball. I don't think his kicking is too bad, though his disposal by hand is really good. Need to give him a few consecutive games to get the pace of senior footy under his belt.

The Billings Method
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 7:00pm

His disposal by hand and foot is exceptional. Left or right, similar to Bytel. Hands are quick and Slick. What on earth anyone who doubts his foot skills bases their opinion on would be interesting to hear.

I watched him for a year in juniors and his disposal by hand and foot made him stand out. Anything else is based on ignorance, bias or a tiny sample of YouTube highlights, like most self-appointed "experts. Prove them all wrong, Jack.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 7:59pm

His disposal by hand and foot is exceptional. Left or right, similar to Bytel. Hands are quick and Slick. What on earth anyone who doubts his foot skills bases their opinion on would be interesting to hear.

I watched him for a year in juniors and his disposal by hand and foot made him stand out. Anything else is based on ignorance, bias or a tiny sample of YouTube highlights, like most self-appointed "experts. Prove them all wrong, Jack.
Good penetrating kick not as good under 35 metres but he goes both feet. His junior coaches and most draft experts questioned his kicking because all other attributes were elite but he was being compared to top 10 draft picks in his under-age year. Then the back complaints came and his kicking suffered.
He will be a gun. Just needs to stay healthy.

He is a better kick than Patrick Cripps.

Vazelos
Club Player

Highly rated internally he will be a player

lewdogs
Club Player

Just reeks of gun AFL midfielder. The way he goes about it, strong, poised, good in traffic. Hopefully he gets an opportunity and grabs it with both hands this year. Early doors with Crouch out could give him an in.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 9:07pm Just reeks of gun AFL midfielder. The way he goes about it, strong, poised, good in traffic. Hopefully he gets an opportunity and grabs it with both hands this year. Early doors with Crouch out could give him an in.
Agree hopefully he does get his chances and builds into something special.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 5:42pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 1:41pm I think his best opportunity to crack into the side will be round 1 and 2 based on Dan and Brad sitting in the stands. If he isn't selected by round 3 I'd say he is going to have a real fight on his hands if all our first choice top liners are fit and firing.

With all due respect Vortex, you've always downplayed his abilities and where he is in the pecking order. Quite rightly in some respects so I understand your reasoning.

However, each opportunity has shown a player of class and courage. Not bad for a then 18 year old trying to overcome a debilitating back injury. I think he's done enough to be considered more than a fill in for Hanners, Crouch & Jones. He's more class than Dunstan, just not the experience. He's just the mid we should get excited about in my opinion. All our others are known commodities.
I don't think I have downplayed his abilities so much as I have tempered my own excitement about him becoming an instant best 22 player. I have learnt through a lifetime of following the mighty RW&B that such excitement can lead to disappointment.

It's one of my greatest pleasures to watch a new player evolve into a best 22 so if Jack makes the grade then I'll be wrapped.

Here's hoping potential becomes greatness.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of self appointed experts?

Aren’t you one?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 7:59pm

Perhaps per back injury he was better by foot.

I base my opinion on his kicks at AFL level.

Far from elite. Missed easy targets.

However as I say I hope that he can tidy it up.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

I'm keen to see Luke Dunstan in the opening line up