Saints v Blues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints v Blues

Sinclair
Hill
Lonie

Love it.

I predicted these!

Well done Shane.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair is in peak physical condition, he is as quick as I've seen him off the mark, and he is attacking the ball at pace. If he gets 20-25 possessions off half back and from stoppages, we are going to score more often.

SaintDippa
Club Player

On the new rule, what is the point of being on the mark? Player with the ball will run past the mark anyway so you'd be better using the marker as an extra down the ground. Or is the rule that someone must man the mark?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Some vastly different views of the game on here. Some seriously harsh given it's a practice match.

Sinclair, Hill, Lonie, Ross, Steele, Membrey all excellent. All look in fantastic shape. Looks as though we've learnt how to use Hill effectively.

Clark, Long and Gresham were all good, but seemed to tire after halftime, as many did.

Higgins the best of the new recruits. Crouch a little off. Highmore will debut this year, maybe even round one.

There must be concerns if Ryder goes down while Marshall is out. McKernan and Hunter, while they weren't disgraced last night, will be monstered by the comp's better ruckmen.

Wilkie was strong, but we looked very vulnerable in defence. Leaked goals way too easily, especially from stoppages.

Would've liked to have seen Bytel & Wood get more time. Both were effective in the final quarter. McKenzie was ok too.

Offensively we were excellent in the first half, ball movement was fluent, direct and we consistently locked the ball inside 50 until we scored. They obviously changed tact in the second half, but the go slow didn't work. We either had too many players running forward of the ball or we lacked the skill to hold on to the footy. One of our downfalls in 2020 was not running as hard back as we do forward, this was still evident last night. That said, I liked the way we responded when challenged in the final term. When Carlton got within a kick, we flicked the switch again and outscored them 21 to 1.

Positive overall, disappointed for Frawley, but I doubt many of us had him in our Round 1 side.

stkfc1
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 1:13am Jack Sinclair you proved (again) I know SFA. You are terrific JS and I am embarrassed I didn't see that coming. Apologies for the ignorant criticism.
Seb was impressive.
P. Hunter looks like a real good pick up - even though Pittonet, excuse poor French accent, was just about bog.
I was underwhelmed by Crouch then remembered I know SFA; on reflection he is a quiet achiever that's why I under appreciate him. Strong: will be invaluable in the depths of winter slogs to come. Hopefully.
Bytel is a delight.
Given newbies getting to know each other under fire, defence was ok when it counted; just changed gear in last quarter and put the game to bed.
I also embarrassed myself by not recognising Daniel McKenzie - how long has it been for heavens sake - has he changed much?
We are quick, really quick, and unrecognisable from the rabble I saw at my last live game: North on that fateful Easter weekend. Thank you Club for that.
Carlton go ok. May pick them round 1 if Wietering is ok/Hardwick's lovelife/complacency about three premierships all align.

Carlton (bar injuries) will be fighting for that 8th spot along with Melbourne and Freo. They're not a bad team. We put the cue in the rack in the 3rd and it showed. I'm very happy how we went and Sinclair may be the bolter this year. He was fantastic.
Our mosquito fleet is going to cause massive headaches this year and now we have Higgins able to rotate through there along with Gresh, oppsitions are going to struggle to contain them. You can't stop them all. Defence was the worry but that was more a game style than anything else. We'll tweak it and it will improve. Early days folks.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We looked fatigued after half time. Carlton looked much fresher in the legs.

Hill was brilliant
Sinclair excellent
Dougal Howard is a very fine player and his recruitment was one of the best trades we've ever done

New guys?

Hunter is a big improvement on Abbott, but clearly a back up. If he plays like that during the season, I won't be disappointed

Crouch plays like the invisible man. You don't notice him. But he gets possessions. Would have preferred it if Bytel got more game time, so I could make a comparison between him and Crouch

Higgins was excellent. Smart footballer who reads the game well and makes the right decisions. Will be a real asset

Highmore didn't get much game time but looked liked he belonged. Seems to be a very neat kick. Will play senior football for sure this year

McKernan was handy. Took some nice contested marks. Was ineffectual when in the ruck, which wasn't a surprise.
Will be useful at times

Wood spent 80% of the game on the bench. Hard to assess his worth based on so little game time. I thought they would have taken Membrey off when Wood went on.

We missed Jones. His leg speed through the middle is valuable. No need to point out the obvious with Marshall and Ryder.

Overall, nothing to panic about. A good hit out with high quality players to return in the next few weeks. We have real

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 7:51am
There must be concerns if Ryder goes down while Marshall is out. McKernan and Hunter, while they weren't disgraced last night, will be monstered by the comp's better ruckmen.

While true how many teams have 3 genuinely good ruckmen?

Hunter is a big upgrade on Abbott and so I am content that he is our back up plan if both Marshall and Ryder cannot play.

McKernan showed last night, and in many games of AFL football that he is an ok key forward who can also go ok as the reflief ruck in games. ie While no Marshal he is an ok replacement to play when one of Marshall or Ryder cannot play.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021 10:24pm Less positive
Form of Long & Webster horrible.
Billings completely ineffective
Frawley hamstring
Defensive work, goals kicked against at stoppages.
Allowing Carlton space to control game by kicking and run from behind opened us up at times.
You have a fair few posts in this thread. If the posts in a thread were like possessions, it’d really make you stand out

Not sure you should be assessing players’ form. I think you’ve turned it over with far too many clangers

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 7:51am Some vastly different views of the game on here. Some seriously harsh given it's a practice match.

Sinclair, Hill, Lonie, Ross, Steele, Membrey all excellent. All look in fantastic shape. Looks as though we've learnt how to use Hill effectively.

Clark, Long and Gresham were all good, but seemed to tire after halftime, as many did.

Higgins the best of the new recruits. Crouch a little off. Highmore will debut this year, maybe even round one.

Wilkie was strong, but we looked very vulnerable in defence. Leaked goals way too easily, especially from stoppages.

Would've liked to have seen Bytel & Wood get more time. Both were effective in the final quarter. McKenzie was ok too.

Offensively we were excellent in the first half, ball movement was fluent, direct and we consistently locked the ball inside 50 until we scored. They obviously changed tact in the second half, but the go slow didn't work. We either had too many players running forward of the ball or we lacked the skill to hold on to the footy. One of our downfalls in 2020 was not running as hard back as we do forward, this was still evident last night. That said, I liked the way we responded when challenged in the final term. When Carlton got within a kick, we flicked the switch again and outscored them 21 to 1.

Positive overall, disappointed for Frawley, but I doubt many of us had him in our Round 1 side.
Great post.

The other noticeably thing last night was our maturity. Our blokes are on a path upwards and helping the younger brigade also. The ability to ‘flick the switch’ as you say comes from having good leaders that are willing to lead by example. Their work rate was very good and their communication and direction seemed very good
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 05 Mar 2021 8:56am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Overall I was content with last night. It was a good hit-out. Blues are a much improved 22 to what they were. Williams and Saad will be great recruits for them, and they have the makings of a very good midfield.

BUT it did reinforce to me that if we hope to be top 4, and not just sneaking into the 8 this year that we need to to be able to get close to our best midfield into the park. Plus Ryder and Marshall.

If we play to the same standard as last season we may well mis the eight as 1/ We have a really tough draw and 2/ As I see it there will be more better teams this coming season all with chance of making the 8.
I believe that there area dozen teams who could make the 8 in 2021. Plus I would see both the Suns and Swans as being better in 2021.

We need in 2021 to be better just to maintain our 2020 ranking, and much better to ascend.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 1:50am Sinclair is in peak physical condition, he is as quick as I've seen him off the mark, and he is attacking the ball at pace. If he gets 20-25 possessions off half back and from stoppages, we are going to score more often.
Pushing yourself off field to be the best you can be strength and fitness wise is the first step to going to another level on field

And what about Sincs hands? There were a couple of times when he received the ball in traffic and he immediately would dish it off and hit the target. Not easy doing lightning quick hand passes only a fraction of a second after receiving it.

He was clean when gathering the footy and he was efficient with both hand and foot.
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 05 Mar 2021 9:08am, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021 10:10pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021 10:07pm
bigcarl wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021 9:58pm What is wrong with King’s foot/ankle? Saw him coming off with it bandaged
He looked to tweak it in a marking contest in the 3rd (or maybe early 4th?), but stayed on a kicked a goal later in the 4th so hopefully nothing too serious.
Just a little twist I hope
Had a bag of ice on it after the final siren.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Frawley hamstring
Allowing Carlton space to control game by kicking and run from behind opened us up at times.

bump

" Post by Impatient Sainter » Thu 04 Mar 10:19 pm
Lots of positives.
Sinclair BOG for the Saints.
Steele continued his form
Small forwards looked good.
Hill had a great first half.
Ross did well just scrubbed kicks when running fast.
Hunter didnt disgrace himself in the ruck.

Negatives
Frawley hamstring
Allowing Carlton space to control game by kicking and run from behind opened us up at times."

Am I seeing double and has anyone ever seen these two posters in the same room together. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 9:09am
Frawley hamstring
bump

Ok I get the gramma issue - let's move on...

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 9:16am
saynta wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 9:09am
Frawley hamstring
bump

Ok I get the gramma issue - let's move on...
No. Identical posts FFS,
Last edited by saynta on Fri 05 Mar 2021 9:24am, edited 1 time in total.

The Craw
Club Player

Sinclair running off Half back feeding Hill and Billings coming off the wing could well may be a master stroke.

Not Craw, CRAW!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Very happy with the performance last night and we will be better with Marshall and/or Ryder in the team. Pittonet monstered Hunter - especially inside their 50 to set up some easy goals for the Blues.
Jones, Hannebery, Carlisle, Marhsall, and Ryder will make a world of difference to the team.
Wilkie had Cripps covered when Cripps went forward. But Silvagni got a hold of him a few times.

On a side note, I really hope that the on ground announcer isn't doing our games this season. Firstly, he kept telling everyone in the crowd that you had to wear masks at your seats because the roof is closed and it's considered an indoor venue. Despite the Marvel COVID safe plan stating that it was not required and that it was only recommended when moving around the stadium.

And how passionate and intense were the Carton fans? It's only a practice match. The Blues came back when we rested most of our on-ballers and King. I'm stunned the betting agencies offer markets on these games when the win is not the goal of the team.
Last edited by Life Long Saint on Fri 05 Mar 2021 10:41am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Anyone know what the story is with Roberton?

Are his papers stamped “health too fragile, never to play again”?

He was named emergency many times last season, but perhaps that was to acknowledge a good and unlucky clubman.

It just strikes me - with Frawley hamstrung and Carlisle possibly out of favour - that we could use some experience and height in defence. I recall him as being pretty handy before his heart problems.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Lol I only just realised we played last night

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 9:06am
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 05 Mar 2021 1:50am Sinclair is in peak physical condition, he is as quick as I've seen him off the mark, and he is attacking the ball at pace. If he gets 20-25 possessions off half back and from stoppages, we are going to score more often.
Pushing yourself off field to be the best you can be strength and fitness wise is the first step to going to another level on field

And what about Sincs hands? There were a couple of times when he received the ball in traffic and he immediately would dish it off and hit the target. Not easy doing lightning quick hand passes only a fraction of a second after receiving it.

He was clean when gathering the footy and he was efficient with both hand and foot.
Excellent post and kudos to those who saw more in Sinclair. I'd always been of the opinion the biggest drawback with him was he never had a position he was recognised in. Let's hope this half back, through the middle role is what he becomes known for. Last night was super impressive, now for consistency.

Frees Clark up as well but I noticed when things got tight, Clark was moved to half back to provide some calmness and much needed surety.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yep I thought Sinclair looked great too, which is nice as he showed a few years back he had the potential.

Also Howard was very good, will make a good combo with a hopefully fully fit Carlisle. I'm not too worried about Frawley's injury, I think he's purely a back-up. Highmore did a few nice things too.

Even Ross looked like he had a bit more zip :shock:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

There were plenty of positives last night, but my concern was the 3rd quarter when we were stuck in the back pocket and unable to get out for long periods of time. Our defense was under constant pressure. We suffered from the same problem on numerous occasions last year. This needs to be fixed.

aaron82
Club Player

On a whole I was quite happy with last night. Limited injuries & a win. I thought we might go through the Billy Ocean’s with a long season ahead bit that certainly didn’t occur.

You can tell that those on the fringe, (Webster, Bytel, Hunter, McKenzie, Wood) were desperate to impress and push their case for round one.

Loved Sinclair’s game. When he has the ball good things happen, his handballing and one touch efforts in traffic are elite. If he can go from 15-20 disposals to 25-30 sort of numbers would be huge for the team.

Apart from the dropped chest mark King was good. Hunter Clark looks set to elevate his game.

I’m hoping we can improve the lock down small defender position. Paton is an enormous out, better players than Zac Fisher will get a hold of us if we don’t sort that out fast.

On a whole though, we look set to improve on 2020

and that's the bottom line
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Highmore got 9 possessions in a half in his first AFL hit out.

ace
Saintsational Legend

aussie sainter wrote: Thu 04 Mar 2021 7:58pm Zac Williams enjoy a nice 3-4 week holiday you dog
You can't call him that.
He is part indigenous, a Wiradjuri man.
Careful what you call him or you will have Scollop & Co barking at you.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.