Practice Match v North Melbourne 25th February

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Practice Match v North Melbourne 25th February

I am a Gresh fan. Never a fan of that little roo turd, even though he was a great footballer.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021 12:04am Has Lonie been in and out of the side???

Since regaining his spot mid 2018 he’s really only missed with injury?
I'm a Lonie fan, but he has not been able to secure a permanent position in the team with the exception of 2019 IMO.

He has some deficiencies but his ability to get front and square and impact the spill from a marking contest is elite. Even in the practice game V North he is always at the fall of the ball.

Played 13 games last season and missed rounds 8-11 & 13 - 15 after being omitted not injured from my recollection. If not in and out, it's certainly not first choice 22.

He was definitely first choice in 2019 until he injured his knee in what was a break out season.

I think he'll struggle again this year but is very handy depth as he is a very competent AFL player.
I though he was excellent in the final against the dogs and two of his inbound kicks to Ryder and Geary for goals were very telling in the final result.

Lonie over Kent everyday of the week for me but I think Butler is first choice small forward & Gresham, Billings, Higgins & Sinclair all able rotate through the midfield as well as forward limits his opportunities.

I think he'd need to be the beneficiary of a couple of injuries.

I'm glad he stayed at the Saints.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The Billings Method
Club Player

You mustn't have looked too closely, or your confirmation bias has blinded you. I'd say a bit of both. I notice you haven't bothered to show us your "research" results, but we will just believe you. 🙄

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
The Billings Method
Club Player

Great debut year for Boomer. One game. Donuts. Didn't touch the ball. Gresh, straight in and has stayed there ever since. Similar goals per game average. Boomer took a number of years to make an impression. In fact, their careers are following similar trajectories. That's why I made the comparison.

Please tell us, SAINT LEE where we can find the stats that show Boomer was vastly superior to Gresh 5 years into their respective careers? Gresh has played just 92 games. Boomer played 432.

What was Boomer's impact in his first 92 games? Yes, he was a premiership player in his 4th year, but was hardly instrumental in that.

Most of his awards and achievements came years after his first 5. Gresh is tracking beautifully. At the end of his career, he'll be recognised as one of our best, and every bit the equal of Boomer. He may not play 432 games, but the quality of his play sets him apart.

And don't use the Brownlow as a mark of quality. By your reckoning, Jason Blake and Jamie Shanahan must have been terrible players. Shane WoWoedin better than Leigh Matthews, Ted Whitten and Wayne Carey. Give me a spell.
Last edited by The Billings Method on Mon 01 Mar 2021 8:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021 3:22pm
B.M wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021 12:04am Has Lonie been in and out of the side???

Since regaining his spot mid 2018 he’s really only missed with injury?
I'm a Lonie fan, but he has not been able to secure a permanent position in the team with the exception of 2019 IMO.

He has some deficiencies but his ability to get front and square and impact the spill from a marking contest is elite. Even in the practice game V North he is always at the fall of the ball.

Played 13 games last season and missed rounds 8-11 & 13 - 15 after being omitted not injured from my recollection. If not in and out, it's certainly not first choice 22.

He was definitely first choice in 2019 until he injured his knee in what was a break out season.

I think he'll struggle again this year but is very handy depth as he is a very competent AFL player.
I though he was excellent in the final against the dogs and two of his inbound kicks to Ryder and Geary for goals were very telling in the final result.

Lonie over Kent everyday of the week for me but I think Butler is first choice small forward & Gresham, Billings, Higgins & Sinclair all able rotate through the midfield as well as forward limits his opportunities.

I think he'd need to be the beneficiary of a couple of injuries.

I'm glad he stayed at the Saints.
Think I woul rather Mason wood then Kent.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021 4:06pm Great debut year for Boomer. One game. Donuts. Didn't touch the ball. Fresh, straight in and has stayed there ever since. Similar goals per game average. Boomer took a number of year's to make an impression. In fact, their careers are following similar trajectories. That's why I made the comparison.

Please tell us, SAINT LEE where we can find the stats that show Boomer was vastly superior to Gresh 5 years into their respective careers? Fresh gas played just 92 games. Boomer played 432.

What was Boomer's impact in his first 92 games? Yes, he was a premiership player in his 4th year, but was hardly instrumental in that.

Most of his awards and achievements came years after his first 5. Gresh is tracking beautifully. At the end of his career, he'll be recognised as one of our best, and every bit the equal of Boomer. He may not play 432 games, but the quality of his play sets him apart.

And don't use the Brownlow as a mark of quality. By your reckoning, Jason Blake and Jamie Shanahan must have been terrible players. Shane WoWoedin better than Leigh Matthews, Ted Whitten and Wayne Carey. Give me a spell.
Didn’t he (Boomer) play for Victoria as a 20 year old at the G?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The Billings Method
Club Player

He did, JB. Pity Gresh hasn't been afforded the same opportunity. They don't play SoO atm so a bit hard for Gresh to equal that. Let's see where they end up when Gresh finishes.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021 3:15pm I am a Gresh fan. Never a fan of that little roo turd, even though he was a great footballer.
Bit harsh on Nick calling him a turd and little to boot :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021 11:17pm
saynta wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021 3:15pm I am a Gresh fan. Never a fan of that little roo turd, even though he was a great footballer.
Bit harsh on Nick calling him a turd and little to boot :wink:
Boomer, not dal.

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021 8:46pm
The Billings Method wrote: Sat 27 Feb 2021 4:06pm Great debut year for Boomer. One game. Donuts. Didn't touch the ball. Fresh, straight in and has stayed there ever since. Similar goals per game average. Boomer took a number of year's to make an impression. In fact, their careers are following similar trajectories. That's why I made the comparison.

Please tell us, SAINT LEE where we can find the stats that show Boomer was vastly superior to Gresh 5 years into their respective careers? Fresh gas played just 92 games. Boomer played 432.

Didn’t he (Boomer) play for Victoria as a 20 year old at the G?
From saints.com.au
“Jade Gresham is ‘still pinching himself’ after Friday's State of Origin. The 22-year-old was the youngest on the field and booted two goals for the Vics. For Jade Gresham, pulling on the Big V is an honour he’ll ‘never forget’. The 22-year-old was the youngest player on the field in Friday night’s star-studded spectacle.”
I think our #4 is tracking pretty nicely. He's definitely not at his peak yet, so we should be excited about what's to come. I wouldn't be too concerned with comparisons. He is a star for us.

The Billings Method
Club Player

Genuine question, DATJ. Are you referring to Boomer or Gresh?Our boy has never played for the big V in an official capacity, other than at junior level. Was this some sort of SoO tribute game?

Gresh was the club's leading goal kicker in his third season. Three nominations for goal of the year. Match winning goals against Geelong and GC in the 39 point comeback game that saved Richo's job (we'll forgive him for that).

He's been picked twice in the under 22 team of the year. Averages 1.25 goals a game. For a bloke who's only played 92 games, he has a pretty fair CV. Every bit as good as his idol's. The prosecution rests.

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

The Billings Method wrote: Sun 28 Feb 2021 12:02pm Genuine question, DATJ. Are you referring to Boomer or Gresh?Our boy has never played for the big V in an official capacity, other than at junior level. Was this some sort of SoO tribute game?

Gresh was the club's leading goal kicker in his third season. Three nominations for goal of the year. Match winning goals against Geelong and GC in the 39 point comeback game that saved Richo's job (we'll forgive him for that).

He's been picked twice in the under 22 team of the year. Averages 1.25 goals a game. For a bloke who's only played 92 games, he has a pretty fair CV. Every bit as good as his idol's. The prosecution rests.
The official St Kilda website would beg to differ (that he has not donned the Big V).
A snippet from the post says, 'Gresham chalked up 15 disposals and two goals in front of the 51,000-strong crowd, who piled into Marvel Stadium to watch the game’s elite take part in the revived State of Origin.
Read the full article at https://www.saints.com.au/news/571576/g ... -spectacle

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

DownAtTheJunction wrote: Sun 28 Feb 2021 12:25pm
The Billings Method wrote: Sun 28 Feb 2021 12:02pm Genuine question, DATJ. Are you referring to Boomer or Gresh?Our boy has never played for the big V in an official capacity, other than at junior level. Was this some sort of SoO tribute game?

The official St Kilda website would beg to differ (that he has not donned the Big V).
A snippet from the post says, 'Gresham chalked up 15 disposals and two goals in front of the 51,000-strong crowd, who piled into Marvel Stadium to watch the game’s elite take part in the revived State of Origin.
Read the full article at https://www.saints.com.au/news/571576/g ... -spectacle
It is easy to understand The Billings Method perspective. Chris Nice, the author of the above article spruiked this as a 'revival' of State of Origin games. It is listed in various spaces as a State of Origin match and was held for Bushfire relief. Similarly there was a State of Origin clash in 2008, celebrating 150 years of football. I have little doubt that Jade believes he has played for the Big V, but others may have alternative views.

The Billings Method
Club Player

Thanks for that DATJ. Makes perfect sense. Shows how highly rated the boy is, given that he started in the game. Cheers.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wasn’t Boomer an EJ Whitten medallist in 1999? At 21yo?!
Premiership player that season

And was an All Australian at 22yo in 2000

We have to get fair dinkum when we are writing stuff, because Boomer was a potential star from very early on. Being 168cm it took him a few years to go through the middle, but he oozed class

Very much (albeit different position) to Caleb Daniel

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 6:55pm Wasn’t Boomer an EJ Whitten medallist in 1999? At 21yo?!

We have to get fair dinkum when we are writing stuff, because Boomer was a potential star from very early on. Being 168cm it took him a few years to go through the middle, but he oozed class

Also limited opportunities to play mid given the strength of North at that time.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Simpson, Stevens, Schwass, Rock, Bell just off the top of my head

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 8:37pm Simpson, Stevens, Schwass, Rock, Bell just off the top of my head
Ryan Pagan

The Billings Method
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 6:59pm
B.M wrote: Mon 01 Mar 2021 6:55pm Wasn’t Boomer an EJ Whitten medallist in 1999? At 21yo?!

Also limited opportunities to play mid given the strength of North at that time.
Thanks, B. M. Perhaps it might be prudent to start with yourself. Physician, heal thyself.