45 degree kick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: 45 degree kick

Watch Collingwood Western Bulldogs and West Coast benefit from this.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 8:58am Watch Collingwood Western Bulldogs and West Coast benefit from this.
Do you believe they are better coached and structured than the other clubs in the competition, therefore they will adapt faster benefiting from potential increased lateral space?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 9:11am
CURLY wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 8:58am Watch Collingwood Western Bulldogs and West Coast benefit from this.
Do you believe they are better coached and structured than the other clubs in the competition, therefore they will adapt faster benefiting from potential increased lateral space?
Be granted the same leeway as they are with the existing rules.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Stian wrote: Tue 23 Feb 2021 7:56pm Could somebody explain the ENORMOUS problem that there is with the current game that we are trying to solve with this rule ????????
I'm usually supportive of the rule changes they bring in and can see why they are doing them but this one just makes no sense at all.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Tue 23 Feb 2021 7:47pm they can kick left or right of the man on the mark and he can't move to smother it, which can make it a flat arc making less likely to intercepted (if accurate)
Been thinking about this and I don't think that previously a marker moved off his mark soley with the aim of attempting to smother a kick so much, but rather to put pressure on the kicker and force a kick that is not the first option. Becuse in the modern game a player rarely goes straight over the marker to a contest.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 9:52am Been thinking about this and I don't think that previously a marker moved off his mark soley with the aim of attempting to smother a kick so much, but rather to put pressure on the kicker and force a kick that is not the first option. Becuse in the modern game a player rarely goes straight over the marker to a contest.
That was what I was alluding to just didn't explain it well

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 9:56am
Vortex wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 9:52am Been thinking about this and I don't think that previously a marker moved off his mark soley with the aim of attempting to smother a kick so much, but rather to put pressure on the kicker and force a kick that is not the first option. Becuse in the modern game a player rarely goes straight over the marker to a contest.
That was what I was alluding to just didn't explain it well
Yeah so just trying to get my head around it, asuming the objective of the rule is to create a more attacking style of game, (can anyone confirm), then does the rule allow the player with possession the option of disposing of the ball in any direction without having to worry about pressure from the marker. Thus being able to move the ball forward of the marker and leaving the marker behind the play?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The AFL are trying to open up the game with allowing kicks through the corridor in the hope that it eventuates to more scoring and a less defensive game. Hopefully that will hugely benefit our lead up forwards! It is a simple rule change but will have a major impact in my opinion. What it may do is to have another player linger outside the 5 metres just to stymie the player taking off around the man on the mark. That will the play on but not the kicks so much.

It will just take a bit of getting used to, but will prevent the teams like Geelong, Collingwood & WCE who used to crib the mark by going sideways and forward from cramping the kicker.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 10:05am The AFL are trying to open up the game with allowing kicks through the corridor in the hope that it eventuates to more scoring and a less defensive game. Hopefully that will hugely benefit our lead up forwards! It is a simple rule change but will have a major impact in my opinion. What it may do is to have another player linger outside the 5 metres just to stymie the player taking off around the man on the mark. That will the play on but not the kicks so much.

It will just take a bit of getting used to, but will prevent the teams like Geelong, Collingwood & WCE who used to crib the mark by going sideways and forward from cramping the kicker.
If it creates more scoring potential then I'm all for it, the game had started to resemble soccer scores and was becoming increasingly boring to watch.

I'm all for the AFL trying new things to get more scoring however I just hope that if this rule change doesn't work then scrap it and try something else, and keep trying until scoring increases.

CarlD
Club Player

Some umpires already have enough trouble measuring 50 metres as it is. I guess they will get more practice.

Absolute stinker of a proposed rule change. Hopefully there will be enough negative feedback from the practice matches for it to be canned before it starts in the season proper.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Thank f*** I don’t watch games on tv anymore! Just dumb

Naturally the rule will be ignored in a tight GF as it wouldn’t be good to see a flag won with a ludicrous 50

50’s are a blight on the game now. Actually the game has become a blight

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Why not just get rid of the man on the mark all together?

It won't make any difference to if the current man on the mark rule was just adjudicated correctly now.

All it's going to do is give away a bunch of soft 50m penalties and trigger a bunch of fans.

This is to appeal to casuals who judge the quality of a game by how high the number is at the end.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Back in the old days of the 70's, 80's and 90's there were plenty of games with high scores. What's happened to that? Is it all the zone defences and whole team defences (i.e. coaches - and the constant rule changes that brings) that have ruined what used to be the greatest game in the world?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
one point
Club Player

Not sure why anyone would man the mark under this rule. May be better off having the defensive player 5-10 metres behind the mark and not be subject to the no movement rule.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

one point wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 10:52pm Not sure why anyone would man the mark under this rule. May be better off having the defensive player 5-10 metres behind the mark and not be subject to the no movement rule.
I wondered this myself, will the new rule allow it?

Juat take steps backwards while keeping focussed on the player with tbe ball.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 9:51pm Back in the old days of the 70's, 80's and 90's there were plenty of games with high scores. What's happened to that? Is it all the zone defences and whole team defences (i.e. coaches - and the constant rule changes that brings) that have ruined what used to be the greatest game in the world?
It's probably innovation by coaches as much as anything combined with the game going professional and player becoming more athletic.

Things like higher rotations, two way running and zone defense probably the main factors. Can anyone think of others.

If we want to see higher scouring agian there will have to be rule changes.

I think rotations have been capped further tbis year?

Rules that limit 36 players around the ball would be worth a try.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

There was also low scoring games in the past.

But now with team defence (which stats in the forward line), it can be harder to score.

Teams used to hold 6 forwards which has a two fold effect
1/there is more space around the footy so it can be moved easier
2/ you can move the ball quicker because there is someone to kick to

It is much easier to coach defence. It’s why the girls struggle to score.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 25 Feb 2021 8:45am There was also low scoring games in the past.

But now with team defence (which stats in the forward line), it can be harder to score.

Teams used to hold 6 forwards which has a two fold effect
1/there is more space around the footy so it can be moved easier
2/ you can move the ball quicker because there is someone to kick to

It is much easier to coach defence. It’s why the girls struggle to score.
Would you like to see a more attacking style of play and higher scoring BM.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Why not just make goals worth 10 points? That will instantly make games higher scoring.

The casuals will eat it up!

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 24 Feb 2021 6:47am If the rule creates a more attacking style of game with more scoring or scoring potential then isn't that a good thing.
Why not the umpire just gift the ball to players inside 50 for shots at goal? That's way more scoring potential. :wink:

Some muppet at the AFL trying to justify his job and wage.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I like high pressurised close contests regardless of the score

I don’t like free flowing basketball end to end bruise free footy

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 25 Feb 2021 4:42pm I like high pressurised close contests regardless of the score

Exactly.

High scoring football and good football to watch aren’t necessarily the same thing.

But the AFL are trying to expand their viewers by appealing to casuals who judge the worth of a game on how high the number is at the end.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 25 Feb 2021 4:42pm I like high pressurised close contests regardless of the score

Totally agree on the bruise free footy. Last year was obviously an anomaly and at times the game looked like mutually agreeable circle work, however I don't like 36 players around the ball and I get the sense most footy heads don't either so how do you fix it.

Is keeping forwards in their arcs worth a try.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Feb 2021 6:35pm

Totally agree on the bruise free footy. Last year was obviously an anomaly and at times the game looked like mutually agreeable circle work, however I don't like 36 players around the ball and I get the sense most footy heads don't either so how do you fix it.

Maybe someone should have told Ben Long it was bruise free footy, or Ryder that the players didn’t care...

You better watch out, you’re beginning to sound like an ex poster on here named Secret Karen, who was a real flog!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 25 Feb 2021 7:07pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Feb 2021 6:35pm

Maybe someone should have told Ben Long it was bruise free footy, or Ryder that the players didn’t care...

You better watch out, you’re beginning to sound like an ex poster on here named Secret Karen, who was a real flog!
And here's me thinking that Secret Karen came back as the dudley.