Another Serious Injury

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Another Serious Injury

Tibia fractures — Tibia shaft fractures also have a good prognosis. Fractures that are closer to the knee tend to heal faster than those near the ankle. Fractures in children tend to heal faster than those in adults. Fibula fractures — Almost all fractures of the fibula shaft heal very well without complications.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
fugazi 2021

FFS...Paton was my pick for the player who would explode this year...looks like Roughy imploded him

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

According to the AFL site he is done for the year

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Horrendous injury for the young fella. We wish him all the best and hopefully his leg heals well and he can return to his pre injury form.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Pretty devastating injury. All the best to Patto!

Scoop
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 7:00pm Tibia fractures — Tibia shaft fractures also have a good prognosis. Fractures that are closer to the knee tend to heal faster than those near the ankle. Fractures in children tend to heal faster than those in adults. Fibula fractures — Almost all fractures of the fibula shaft heal very well without complications.
Unfortunately, from what I could make out, it appears the break was closer to the ankle!!

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
fugazi 2021

Terrible news and can really affect his career.
Let's hope he rehabs well.
Roughy must feel horrible.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 6:46pm Bad luck for Ben and the club.

Not a position that is easy for us to cover with Geary already injured. There are many dangerous, quick smalls in the opposition forward lines that we will have to cover and other than Long or McKenzie I am struggling. It has to be Long and he needs to knuckle down and do the job.
Yes Gershwin, I feel your pain but we can limit a small forward in a number of ways, especially if the replacement for Paton commits to his role. Whether that is Long, Webster, McKenzie really doesn't matter if we get on top in centre clearances or intercept marks. Both areas I believe we can be strong in.

Of course we are a better 22 with Ben but we are not Top 4 if we cannot find a solution for his absence.

stkfc1
Club Player

Feel for both Paton and Roughy. Roughy would be feeling awful right now. Rotton luck.

Sounds though we may have found one in Highmore.

Already calling him Wilkie 2.0

Hopefully he can play tall and small. Webster has to get a run now also. Will be good to see Jimmy playing under Ratts. Hopefully the new found freedom to play will mean we'll see the best of JW. Kid can play and hard as a cat's head. He and Longy could ruffle a few feathers together.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 6:56pm

Foxfooty.com.au understands Paton will undergo surgery at The Avenue as early as Friday morning and miss the entire 2020 season.
Could have sworn he played in 2020....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 19 Feb 2021 12:15am
Wayne42 wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 6:56pm

Foxfooty.com.au understands Paton will undergo surgery at The Avenue as early as Friday morning and miss the entire 2020 season.
Could have sworn he played in 2020....
2020 hindsight

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 9:04pm
magnifisaint wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 7:00pm Tibia fractures — Tibia shaft fractures also have a good prognosis. Fractures that are closer to the knee tend to heal faster than those near the ankle. Fractures in children tend to heal faster than those in adults. Fibula fractures — Almost all fractures of the fibula shaft heal very well without complications.
Unfortunately, from what I could make out, it appears the break was closer to the ankle!!
Most football tib & fib fractures are closer to the ankle.
In this instance (from my limited understanding) the issue is rarely the location of the fracture but the complexity. A clean fracture of both bones is a pretty easy rectification, issues arise if there is a twist where the shin is splintered due to the break in a twisting fashion.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 4:15pm
Yorkeys wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 3:01pm All I can think about in regard to this is the reported scream when it happened and the pain and shock the young man is in. So glad the Club will do everything to help and that he will get best of care and not have to worry about the cost. Feel for his parents and team mates, esp. those in the vicinity. Will put a pall over the preseason to say the least. All the very best Ben and all power to the surgeon.
Clean snapped a tib & fib playing football, the sound is like a tree branch snapping and quite scary.

The good part is you do go into shock pretty quickly with the break of a large bone and the pain becomes manageable after a few minutes or so.

Really bad news for the young fella, I hope it is an uncomplicated break and a straight forward surgery.
Most broken legs are relatively easy fix from what I am told by medical professionals.

From memory Maguire had compartment syndrome and had to have the leg opened up. Former Saint Dean Greig lost a leg in this fashion.
Former San Francisco 49ers & Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith was traded to Washington Wokes who provided no sacking protection to their quarterback.

You have to click on "Watch On YouTube"

Smiths leg was snapped, tibia and fibula
See video for X Rays.

Lucky to still be alive, 17 surgeries
Smith was told they would have to amputate but said no, persisted and made a full recovery.

But Washington Wokes still provide no protection against the blitz.
Last edited by ace on Sun 21 Feb 2021 6:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to Paton, he’s young enough to recover and be back better next year.

Unlike if he were older, and had racism the oozing out of every pore, probably little hope of recovering from that.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sun 21 Feb 2021 6:19pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 4:15pm
Yorkeys wrote: Thu 18 Feb 2021 3:01pm All I can think about in regard to this is the reported scream when it happened and the pain and shock the young man is in. So glad the Club will do everything to help and that he will get best of care and not have to worry about the cost. Feel for his parents and team mates, esp. those in the vicinity. Will put a pall over the preseason to say the least. All the very best Ben and all power to the surgeon.
Clean snapped a tib & fib playing football, the sound is like a tree branch snapping and quite scary.

The good part is you do go into shock pretty quickly with the break of a large bone and the pain becomes manageable after a few minutes or so.

Really bad news for the young fella, I hope it is an uncomplicated break and a straight forward surgery.
Most broken legs are relatively easy fix from what I am told by medical professionals.

From memory Maguire had compartment syndrome and had to have the leg opened up. Former Saint Dean Greig lost a leg in this fashion.
Former San Francisco 49ers Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith was traded to Washington Wokes who provided little sacking protection to their quarterback.

You have to click on "Watch On YouTube"
Smith was told they would have to amputate but said no, persisted and made a full recovery.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Smith
But Washington Wokes still provide no protection against the blitz.
Thanks Ace.

Read the wiki link and watched the interview, great story but can't bring myself to watch the video of the leg snap.

I'm not the worlds most empathetic or emotional human and I can watch most things, but the one legacy of of my own injury is an aversion to watching someone else snap their leg.
Last edited by Joffa Burns on Sun 21 Feb 2021 6:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 21 Feb 2021 6:39pm Good luck to Paton, he’s young enough to recover and be back better next year.

Unlike if he were older, and had racism the oozing out of every pore, probably little hope of recovering from that.
WTF?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 21 Feb 2021 6:52pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 21 Feb 2021 6:39pm Good luck to Paton, he’s young enough to recover and be back better next year.

WTF?
Yeah I know right, over and over Ace has shown he just can’t stop himself.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully the club will release some more info regarding Paton's injury and surgery before too long.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Surgery was a success. Was a clean break. Obviously the next week or so is very important re compartment syndrome but so far so good. Huge, huge support from club for both Pato and Rough as you would expect.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 21 Feb 2021 7:04pm

WTF?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 22 Feb 2021 10:57am

WTF?
And the usual apologists are never far behind! :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 22 Feb 2021 4:22pm
saynta wrote: Mon 22 Feb 2021 10:57am

WTF?
And the usual apologists are never far behind! :D
🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕