Mason Wood

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mason Wood

In the age of shot clocks, was he the guy that once ran the clock down on us and then kicked a tight angle nah nah goal when time was virtually up so game already won. Anyway whoever that was I thought it just wasn't cricket and that North and its players were dislikeable - like all other sides. Spoilt a tight finish. I guess if it was him we don't hold grudges. But I think we should.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 18 Jan 2021 8:01pm In the age of shot clocks, was he the guy that once ran the clock down on us and then kicked a tight angle nah nah goal when time was virtually up so game already won. Anyway whoever that was I thought it just wasn't cricket and that North and its players were dislikeable - like all other sides. Spoilt a tight finish. I guess if it was him we don't hold grudges. But I think we should.
Yes it was. I was on the fence when he kicked that goal. It wasn't an easy shot and he split the middle with a drop punt.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 18 Jan 2021 10:11am Mason Wood's best position might be wing - a tallish wing?
He could average 20 possessions on a wing, and provide good run.

I agree he's not physical enough as a forward (and he's limited to 13-14 possessions as a forward).

But further up the ground (around wing, maybe), he can zip around like Dangerfield and be quite physical in that position - he's very athletic.
I cant see why we'd play a but average forward in an important transition from defence to forward position when we have runners like Hill, Billings, Sinclair, Jones, Hannebery who all play that position.

If we want a tall winger who can mark, run and carry I think Coffield looms as the best option.
He's got good pace, is elusive, marks well, wins one on one contests and most importantly is good by foot and one of the guys you'd like delivering into the forward 50.

Battle can also spend time on a wing and has great endurance.

For me Wood is back up at best and that is assuming we take him and to the best of my knowledge there is no certainty to that at this point in time.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Harves Man
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 17 Jan 2021 2:08pm
Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 14 Jan 2021 9:27am Mason Wood has got some great attributes but his body has let him down, not dissimilar to Shaun Higgins & look how he's turned out.
I saw Wood train yesterday and he looks in ripping shape, very determined also, trained really well.
Sorry saintmike, but mentioning Higgins and Wood in the same sentence is like comparing Reiwoldt & Rhys Stanley as key forwards.
Honestly Joffa, this, your opening sentence, had me laughing for close to 5 minutes! Also, talk about making a strong point quickly!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

keeps the guys in the squad honest. MW is a live reminder of what happens if you don't deliver on the field no matter how photogenic you are.

Harves Man
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 13 Jan 2021 2:13pm No from me, sub sized KPP and has never been physical enough IMO.

Competing with Membrey, Battle and Allison.

I’d rather we rookie a young tall than Wood.

If we are looking at a mid sized lead up forward I hear Sam Sturt is looking to come home to Melbourne next year.
Yes, see, once again, you have nailed the point very quickly and succinctly. I wouldn't want to be in that position, looking at those players! Ok, Membrey had some "quiet" games near the end of the season, but to me, at least, that hints at carrying an injury.

But, looking at Membrey alone, we are looking at a player who had to captain the team at the beginning of last year and came out all guns blazing and kicked a bunch of goals. Then, of course, trying to get in ahead of Battle, well forget it! He might be underated by others, but he is not underated by any of us!

Harves Man
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 18 Jan 2021 8:01pm In the age of shot clocks, was he the guy that once ran the clock down on us and then kicked a tight angle nah nah goal when time was virtually up so game already won. Anyway whoever that was I thought it just wasn't cricket and that North and its players were dislikeable - like all other sides. Spoilt a tight finish. I guess if it was him we don't hold grudges. But I think we should.
I laughed my head off at this one, Yorkeys! Man, I just fell about! Thank you for being there for this forum!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 19 Jan 2021 12:30pm keeps the guys in the squad honest. MW is a live reminder of what happens if you don't deliver on the field no matter how photogenic you are.
Applies equally to Mason Wood and Mathew Wade, although Wade is hardly photogenic.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 19 Jan 2021 9:51am
I cant see why we'd play a but average forward in an important transition from defence to forward position when we have runners like Hill, Billings, Sinclair, Jones, Hannebery who all play that position.

If we want a tall winger who can mark, run and carry I think Coffield looms as the best option.
He's got good pace, is elusive, marks well, wins one on one contests and most importantly is good by foot and one of the guys you'd like delivering into the forward 50.

Battle can also spend time on a wing and has great endurance.

For me Wood is back up at best and that is assuming we take him and to the best of my knowledge there is no certainty to that at this point in time.
All I'm saying is Wood could have been played in a position that might have suited him better over the years, perhaps - and that position could be the wing.
anyway, re: the wing ...
he'd be more physical than Zac Jones and would probably give a better contest than Hill and get as many possessions as him (it wouldn't be hard).

Some conjecture on my part, I know ...but ..
He could have been a player who averaged 20 possessions plus in a position that better suited him - instead of which, we might be now judging him and marking him down on the 13-14 possessions he may have averaged as a forward playing in "starvation corner" (which is not too shabby really).

Yes, he been an average forward over the years, but ...
The guy is very athletic, and very agile for his size.
Which leads me to think that he might have some unrealised potential - and untapped X factor - in another position. We need some X factor, and potentially he could provide it.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Or he’s just not very good?!

samoht
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 19 Jan 2021 3:33pm Or he’s just not very good?!
Congrats on your 2000th post!
clickity, click.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Gershwin
Club Player

“He’s done everything right”: Axed Roo Mason Wood impressing Saints

The club have signalled when they will make a call on the 27-year-old’s future.

Axed Kangaroos forward Mason Wood has impressed St Kilda coach Brett Ratten since joining the club via a train-on basis.

Wood was one of 11 North Melbourne players delisted in September last year and could earn himself an AFL lifeline at the Saints via the pre-season Supplemental Selection Period or wait his time and be selected via the mid-season draft.

Speaking on SEN, Ratten revealed the club are in ongoing contract discussions following Wood’s promising stint at Moorabbin.

“We’re talking about it,” Ratten said on Sportsday.

“We’ve got three spots on our list vacant so there is room there and he’s training really well, so we’ll go through that with James Gallagher (list manager) and we’ll have a chat later this week with where it sits.

“He’s a fine young man, he’s put his best foot forward, he’s done everything right – if he continues like that there’s an opportunity there.

“We have got space, but we’ll make a decision as a club probably around Friday or Monday.”

St Kilda currently hold three available list spots and will have until March 9 to decide on selecting players through the SSP while the AFL Mid-Season Draft will take place on June 2.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Sanctorum
Club Player

This was also reported in Friday's papers -if confirmed that will be a good move as he brings considerable experience and will be desperately keen to force his way into the side, a slightly taller (192 cm) backup for Tim Membrey (190 cm). It's always good to have depth players putting pressure on incumbents to get a game - and please note, I'm NOT saying he's better than Tim!!:

"Wood’s set for a shot at Saints - by CHRIS CAVANAGH - Herald Sun

St Kilda is poised to throw key forward Mason Wood a football lifeline, with the former Kangaroo a chance to line up alongside a bulked-up Max King in the Saints’ forward line this season.

Wood, who was delisted by North Melbourne at the end of last year, has impressed since joining the Saints for pre-season training last Tuesday.

St Kilda has three spare list spot that is able to fill under the AFL’s pre-season supplemental selection period before March 9.

However, Saints coach Brett Ratten has hinted a decision on Wood could be made much sooner, potentially as early as Friday.

“There is room there and he’s training really well,” Ratten said on Wednesday. “So we’ll go through that with (list manager) James Gallagher and we’ll have a chat later this week and where it sits. But he’s a fine young man and he’s done everything right so if he continues like that there’s an opportunity there.

“We have got space but we’ll make a decision as a club probably around Friday or Monday.”

Wood, 27, played 65 games and kicked 76 goals across seven seasons with North Melbourne but managed just eight AFL games last year. The Saints have also been buoyed by the progress of fellow key forward Max King on the training track, who has added some muscle to his light frame over summer."

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
minneapolis
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 23 Jan 2021 11:19am
CTE anyone?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Wood's highlight reel from 2016 is much better viewing:

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
samoht
Saintsational Legend

A pre-draft excerpt on Mason Wood, November 2012:

Pick Me: The next Heath Shaw
St Kilda, which has picks No.25 and 26, has shown strong interest in Wood.

Like Saints skipper Nick Riewoldt, Wood has a huge tank, regularly covering 15km a game.

The highly-skilled left-footer tested brilliantly at the AFL draft camp, finishing top 10 in the agility test and posting the second-best goalkicking score. His hands measured third biggest.

Interesting that he was being compared to Heath Shaw - yet he has been played exclusively as a forward?
Makes you wonder - a huge tank with great agility usually adds up to more than just a forward.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

His 2018 & 2019 was pretty good with 20+ goals each season

Smashed by injuries and North's poor form last year I would forget

He is definitely good back up for Membrey - good hands & agility and can tackle

Just may need a fresh start

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Highlights are good!

fugazi 2021

With interchange rules changing, the superfit talls like Battle and Wood will be more in demand

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. Very impressive highlights.

Anyone got thoughts on what went wrong with him in 2020

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

fugazi 2021 wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2021 10:28am With interchange rules changing, the superfit talls like Battle and Wood will be more in demand
Think Battle will stay in the back line for mine. He is just too handy down back. The next Shaun Dempster/Trevor Barker.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2021 2:18pm Agreed. Very impressive highlights.

I doubt anyone questions his skill and athleticism, I believe the "knock on Wood" (sorry for the dad joke) is a lack of physicality.

Harves Man
Club Player

He was playing for North Melboune! :mrgreen:

Harves Man
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 25 Jan 2021 2:27pm

I doubt anyone questions his skill and athleticism, I believe the "knock on Wood" (sorry for the dad joke) is a lack of physicality.
You don't need to apologise for the Dad joke - it was a beauty - in fact, you should be taking a bow!