Permission to Train / Rookie List

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

footynut
Club Player

Permission to Train / Rookie List

Since we pass in the Rookie Draft we have January to trial few players. I think there's still a few players out there that are worth giving a shot on the Rookie list.

I'd like to give Kalin Lane and Max Heath an opportunity to show there stuff. Before selecting the one we believe to have the most potential.
I'd also give Zavier Maher a chance to demonstrate his skills.

Saints58
Club Player

Re: Permission to Train / Rookie List

They could be likely prospects what about Hewago Paul Oea as a Catargoy B he is from PNG and was on Gold coast list worth a look we only have 1 catagory B big Sal
or as a KPP Blake Kuiper.
You put forward some great prospects lets hope the club is thinking the same.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From afl.com.au

"ST KILDA will spend the coming weeks assessing the available talent market to determine how to use their three available list spots heading into 2021.

And Carlton is expected to invite delisted Saint Jonathon Marsh as a train-on player in January and will consider cut Demon Oscar McDonald for the same opportunity for their single vacant spot.

WHO SMASHED IT? Our say on your club's draft performance

The Blues and Saints were among nine clubs that passed on picks in Thursday's NAB AFL Rookie Draft, leaving them with available rookie berths heading into next year. "

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

A lot of names from Phantom Drafts not picked up -

Mids

Oliver Davis
Zavier Maher
Josh Cardillo
Zac Dumensy

KPP

Liam Kolar
Liam McMahon
Kaine Baldwin
Jackson Callow

Rucks

Max Heath
Kalin Lane
Henry Walsh

And thats just from Phantoms, I should imagine our recruiters have a number of players pegged to have a look at on the training track. Having said that training with our club is a bit of a poisoned chalice with regards to getting picked up over the years.

Stian
Club Player

The last player that I remember being picked up from our Permission to Train list was Lachie Weller. But surely that can't be right?? Have I forgotten someone?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Liam McMahon was picked up by the Pies.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Stian
Club Player

Thanks Bernard but was Lachie Weller the last to be picked up by the Saints?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Mav Weller perhaps?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Stian wrote: Sat 12 Dec 2020 3:01pm The last player that I remember being picked up from our Permission to Train list was Lachie Weller. But surely that can't be right??
You are correct, it isn't right. ;) It was his brother Mav Weller.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Stian
Club Player

Ohhhhh, oops. That's a bit embarrassing. Thanks IS and SR. At least you were relatively kind to me.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl ... 56mx0.html

"Swans' surprise forward boon cost McCartin on draft night
Peter Ryan
By Peter Ryan
December 12, 2020 — 3.52pm

Paddy McCartin is working through what his next step in football will be after Sydney made the tough call to overlook him in the rookie draft when they unexpectedly landed West Australian tall forward Logan McDonald at pick four in the AFL national draft.

The No.1 pick who played 35 games with St Kilda between 2015-2018 before taking 2020 off to overcome concussion issues had declared his desire to return to the AFL in September after being cleared to train again.

The Swans had confirmed in the lead up to the national draft that they were contemplating adding the 24-year-old to their rookie list joining his brother Tom at the club however they were unable to make any guarantees.

Sydney sources confirmed that the Swans were uncertain heading into the draft whether they would land a key forward or key defender with their first pick and the outcome of the draft would play a role in their decision to select McCartin as a rookie.

The Swans chose 18-year-old key foward McDonald when he was available at pick four rather than key defender Denver Grainger-Barras after the Bulldogs took Jamarra Ugle-Hagan at pick one, Adelaide chose Riley Thilthorpe at pick two and North Melbourne unexpectedly took Will Phillips at three leaving the highly-touted McDonald available.

Hawthorn then chose Denver Grainger-Barras with the next selection after bidding on Swans' academy graduate Braeden Campbell meaning the Swans had to match their bid at pick 5. They chose Erroll Gulden at pick 32 and then made one selection in the rookie draft picking South Australian running defender Malachy Carruthers with pick three.

The market for key forwards has been crowded in this off-season with Jeremy Cameron, Joe Daniher, Ben Brown, Jesse Hogan and Peter Wright all changing clubs while Thilthorpe, McDonald and Nik Cox were selected in the top 10 picks.

Sources close to McCartin said the 24-year-old was working through his options but he was unlikely to train on with Sydney in the hope of being chosen in the supplementary selection period and it is unclear whether he will be invited to train at another AFL club.

The Swans, who have a rookie spot unfilled, are open to him potentially playing for their VFL and East Coast second-tier team. They are leaving decisions in the hands of McCartin who played most recently in the pre-season of 2018 but want to support him in his return to football in any way possible.

Under AFL rules clubs are allowed to invite a maximum of six players to train with the squad from January 6 to trial for a spot on the rookie list during the pre-season supplemental selection period which ends on March 9. They need to submit their list to the AFL by December 18.

Former Kangaroo Majak Daw, Demon Oscar McDonald, Bulldog Billy Gowers, Richmond's Derek Eggmolesse-Smith and Magpie Matt Scharenberg are weighing up their next step too after being overlooked in the rookie draft and delisted free agency period.

Former Saint Ed Phillips is expected to join Box Hill Hawks after his brother Tom joined Hawthorn in the trade period.

Meanwhile, retired Bomber Tom Bellchambers has returned to the club for 2021 as their ruck coach. He played 136 matches for the Bombers after making his debut in 2008.
License this article"

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Just re watched the loss to Tigers in semi final

Any chance we rookie Barry Hall (to play on Lynch - for 1 game only)

Nee!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Sun 13 Dec 2020 11:15pm Just re watched the loss to Tigers in semi final

Any chance we rookie Barry Hall (to play on Lynch - for 1 game only)
Howard will be better next time around, particularly now he will have Frawley to mentor him. Howard was a bit pannicky on the night and Lynch was kicking them from everywhere - the tide will turn.

Just on our 2020 draft I believe Highmore will be a sucess, but have considerable doubts on Allison at this time. My advice to Gaggs & Libartore would be to start banking picks AND $$$ to get Ben King to the club ASAP.

saintbob
SS Life Member

I hope we give Ollie Davis a chance to train

ace
Saintsational Legend

LIst of up to 6 "permission to train" has to be submitted to AFL by this Friday.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

No players listed to train at St Kilda as per this Fox Footy list of Unlisted Players Training During AFL Pre-Season SSP (supplemental selection period).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-ne ... 32072140a2

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
footynut
Club Player

So the big question is why..... have we not identified anyone worth a rookie spot???

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote: Fri 18 Dec 2020 8:32pm So the big question is why..... have we not identified anyone worth a rookie spot???
Good question, going by Ace's list there are 2 x Main List vacancies, 3 x Rookie A list vacancies and 1 x Rookie B list vacancy.

Why are they going into 2021 with that many list spots vacant, they must have a plan but it's not obvious to this supporter, that's for sure.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
To the top
SS Life Member

The absence of Carlisle for the Semi-final was telling leaving only Howard at above 191cm (Wilkie and Coffield) and exposed structurally (also because Ryder was absent)

So there was Howard and flankers hence asking too much of Howard including in regard responsibility

Interestingly, when we beat Richmond during the season, Carlisle and Long were both in the Brownlow votes

IF there are spots on our List not filled, in these times the thinking may well be that the players we do have are sufficient to provide the required numbers so we do not need more, those more unable to find a home in the Draft processes so playing exclusively at Sandringham

AFL is not a place for sentiment

The Industry is data driven

Those on Lists have earned their spots accordingly

Look at those no longer on our List

George27
Club Player

Might it have something to do with the fact that no one played any footy in Vic in 2020 ? So much unexposed form. The early part of 2021 might reveal many blokes in VFL and even local leagues who have improved greatly since they last played in 2019. We will have spots open in the mid season draft. That is a total guess by me, but in this most unusual of times it makes sense to have some room to top up.

SuperDuper
Club Player

The NAB league will become u19 next year. A bunch of kids will play who have been unsighted for a year and who can be taken midseason. Who knows how many will come out and be good? Presumably they can also play some VFL games if they are already in that age range, so they can be assessed further. The saints seems like they decided to just sit back and have a really good look at this group.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 18 Dec 2020 8:44pm
footynut wrote: Fri 18 Dec 2020 8:32pm So the big question is why..... have we not identified anyone worth a rookie spot???
Good question, going by Ace's list there are 2 x Main List vacancies, 3 x Rookie A list vacancies and 1 x Rookie B list vacancy.

Why are they going into 2021 with that many list spots vacant, they must have a plan but it's not obvious to this supporter, that's for sure.

I heard there could be up to 6 players invited to train with us.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Right now the club is not in a position where they need to bring any other delisted experienced players on to the list, there's no rush because when you look at all of those delisted players not one stands out as a "must have".

As others have pointed out, the young talent coming through the ranks have not been able to strut their stuff in 2020, so it is a good strategy by the club to keep their options open and dive into the mid-season draft pool, when the pickings will be much richer, and depending on long term injuries the club will have a better idea as to what is needed.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The Billings Method
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 18 Dec 2020 8:06pm No players listed to train at St Kilda as per this Fox Footy list of Unlisted Players Training During AFL Pre-Season SSP (supplemental selection period).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-ne ... 32072140a2
Surprising no one has been invited to train. I thought that after opting out of the rookie draft, they must have had a cunning plan to monitor a player/s during preseason training. To quote Edmund Blackadder. "Baldrick, this is a plan so cunning, Professor Fox, the Dept. Head of the faculty of Cunning Plans at Oxford University, would have been proud of thinking it up."

I can't help thinking Satan, Gags, Gubby and Libba, our gang of 4, might still have something up their sleeves. Like all great cunning plans, it is not obvious, or am I being too generous?

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Sat 19 Dec 2020 1:54am The NAB league will become u19 next year. A bunch of kids will play who have been unsighted for a year and who can be taken midseason. Who knows how many will come out and be good? Presumably they can also play some VFL games if they are already in that age range, so they can be assessed further. The saints seems like they decided to just sit back and have a really good look at this group.
This makes the most sense, along with the knowledge that players training at other clubs is freely available. No point in showing our hand until called.