Seb Ross Vs Dan Hannebery

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Seb Ross Vs Dan Hannebery

Hypothetical scenario...

You can keep one and delist the other.

Who would you save?

Personally, between consistency and durability I’d keep Ross.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Seb Ross Vs Dan Hannebery

Hannebery. No question. He's in our top 10 players. Ross isn't in our top 20.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 11:05am Hannebery. No question. He's in our top 10 players. Ross isn't in our top 20.
Is that so? Guess who cane tenth in the Trevor Barker award this year,

It wasn't Hannas. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sanctorum
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 10:22am Hypothetical scenario...

You can keep one and delist the other.

Who would you save?

Personally, between consistency and durability I’d keep Ross.
That's eminently debatable, if Dan is fully fit he is definitely streets ahead of Seb, an absolute gun, massive on-field leadership!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saynta wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 11:25am
Beno88 wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 11:05am Hannebery. No question. He's in our top 10 players. Ross isn't in our top 20.

If Hannebery manages to play 18 or more games, then his value will be there for all to see

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 12:14pm

If Hannebery manages to play 18 or more games, then his value will be there for all to see
And - if I accept your nonsensical hypothetical scenario - we delisted Seb because we feel we can rely on Hanners, and then Hanners is fit for 5 or less games, the stupidly of such a decision would definitely be there for all to see.

Another reason I'm so glad that posters on fan forums have no say in list management: if some had their way, we'd have Paddy McC back on our list. I'm sure he's a lovely guy, but - even without the diabetes and the concussion problems - he isn't close to being an A grade player, let alone the star that the club obviously felt he would become. I guess there have been worse uses of a number one pick, but I'm struggling to think of one.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Both just depth at this point taking up way more salary cap then they should.

Dan’s body is shot and Ross is the ultimate hacker, so... 🤷‍♂️

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Both of them had good finishes to the year. Seb ran into his best form and was using it well by foot.

Hannas if fit and well is ahead in pure onfield value.

Nee!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 12:39pm Both just depth at this point taking up way more salary cap then they should.

Dan’s body is shot and Ross is the ultimate hacker, so... 🤷‍♂️
So you don't subscribe to the view that getting Hanners helped persuade Hill, Ryder, Howard, Butler and Jones that they should take our future prospects seriously and come to us rather than one of the bigger name clubs.

Because I reckon that's exactly what happened.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I guess some posters on this site need a whipping boy to make them feel better about themselves.

Ralph Clarke comes to mind to be replaced in later years by Hannas and now by Seb.

Would make me laugh if it wasn't so pathetically obvious.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I have to say, I’m actually quite surprised at how high people think Hannerbery’s ceiling is at this point in his career.

He had a good game against the WB before going off injured following some onfield courage but it wasn’t exactly the Dusty level performance that people on here have made it out to be. There there was one other game where ppl really sang his praises but the exact one escapes me.

Beyond that... his baseline performance has looked fairly average to me.
I feel like baseline he performs to the standard that many suggest is under-performing if Ross hits it... 15-16 possessions, couple of tackles, couple of clangers... no major impact

The difference is that Ross semi-regularly performs above and maintains much better form. I was critical of Ross in the first half of 2020 but thought he responded really well and was good in the second half of the season... and certainly close to our best player across 2 finals.

Both players have some similarities in that there closer to the end of their careers then the start and are more about toughness then deft touch...
With the influx of emerging talent, I think it’s only a matter of time until it ultimately becomes 1 or the other in the top 22

Like I said... I’d have thought Ross for sure
Last edited by skeptic on Fri 11 Dec 2020 1:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If Hanners had a sound and resilient body he would top 3 in the side, but he doesnt. Ross's body is pretty sound consequently he gets my vote. Doesnt matter how good you are if you cant get onto the track consistently.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting way to look at it. Jade Gresham wasn't top ten in the B&F either. Wonder why?

Nick Riewoldt didn't finish top 10 in 2010.
Robert Harvey didn't finish top 10 in 2001 or 2002.
Lenny Hayes didn't finish top 10 in 2011.

But I guess these guys were in our top ten players given their B&F position...

Luke Delaney 5th in 2014.
Mav Weller 7th in 2016.
Shane Savage 10th in 2019.

Like I said, interesting way to look at it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 3:06pm

Interesting way to look at it. Jade Gresham wasn't top ten in the B&F either. Wonder why?

Mav Weller 7th in 2016.

Gresham was injured, no "wonder" about it at all. :roll:

Nick, Banger and Lenny were all past their best or possibly used by dates in the years specified.

Luke, Mav and especially Shane had good years.

Nice to see my post generated so much work trying to shoot me down. Big fail imhfo.

Sanctorum
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 4:17pm
Beno88 wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 3:06pm

Mav Weller 7th in 2016.

Gresham was injured, no "wonder" about it at all. :roll:

Nick, Banger and Lenny were all past their best or possibly used by dates in the years specified.

Luke, Mav and especially Shane had good years.

Nice to see my post generated so much work trying to shoot me down. Big fail imhfo.
Not worth getting too wound up over this debate saynta, we'll learn soon enough when the season kicks off which of Ross and Hannebery is more effective, maybe with Crouch in midfield both will struggle to make best 22 regularly. One thing is clear, competition for midfield spots is going to be fierce, especially if Clark and Coffield keep improving!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

What a curiously divisive question! Clearly the OP is bored.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

As a fan trying to figure out who is who, and why, I’m curious about this one.

My impression is that Ross was played in different role this year, and his presence was diminished by it.

With Hanners, we had some good patches, kinda like we did with Hill, where the ‘star’ factor shone.

But Hanners is hamstrung a lot.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Interesting question and good hypothetical at this time of year.

Posters refer to Hannas at his best but that clearly was 4-5 years ago. Hannas is a bust recruitment and his payment clearly has cost us other potential recruits from an affordability perspective.

So Hill, Ryder, Howard etc wouldn’t have come without Hannebery? Show me some proof of this and I’ll subscribe to this semi popular opinion.

Hannas game against the Bulldogs was totally overrated IMO from watching the game live.

Hannas was an A grade gun at his peak, Seb a b grade good honest footballer. But Seb provides better value to the Saints than Dan.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 7:31pm Interesting....Hannas was an A grade gun at his peak, Seb a b grade good honest footballer. But Seb provides better value to the Saints than Dan.
But in terms of what the team needs ....tools in the tool set.....what we are short of, and what we have in relative abundance , doesn’t Hannas them get a boost in that metric it sense?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Gershwin
Club Player

I will be very surprised if Hannebery doesn’t break down again. The 20 minute quarters and fewer rotations doesn’t work in his favour. Ross is fit and tough and a great team player.

summertime and the living is easy ........
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 7:31pm Interesting question and good hypothetical at this time of year.

Posters refer to Hannas at his best but that clearly was 4-5 years ago. Hannas is a bust recruitment and his payment clearly has cost us other potential recruits from an affordability perspective.

So Hill, Ryder, Howard etc wouldn’t have come without Hannebery? Show me some proof of this and I’ll subscribe to this semi popular opinion.

Hannas game against the Bulldogs was totally overrated IMO from watching the game live.

Hannas was an A grade gun at his peak, Seb a b grade good honest footballer. But Seb provides better value to the Saints than Dan.
Do you have any proof Hanners has clearly cost us other potential recruits? Which potential recruits and maybe give us a speculative guess at what his payment schedule over his first 4 years was? You seem pretty certain about this!

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

The question is if we were playing off in the big dance, who would you prefer?

Unquestionably hanners for mine. Sure he’s injury prone but if fit and we’re playing in a GF hes the type of player that has a premiership 3rd qtr burst and bags a clutch in the last

#1 Ryder fan
SaintJohno
Club Player

I can't imagine another year older will make Hanners any less injury prone. I feel like Ross may have had a wake up call in the early part of this year and hopefully will come out swinging to retain a spot in the best 22. Probably more upside in that.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I'm hopeful that adding Crouch will free up Seb to do less grunt work (which he's not really that great at) to do more run and carry. Hopefully, with more of an outside role, he'll hit more targets and silence some of the critics here. I definitely think he's overcriticised. If you think Seb's a butcher, I'm not sure where that leaves Brad Crouch. Seb's likely to start in the middle for us next year, no matter how many people fantasise about Bytel forcing him out of the side.

I'm less optimistic about DanHan at this stage. He's rarely out there and, when he is, he's been pretty inconsistent. If we can get him to play as a depth mid, then that's fine. Not consistent with what he's being paid, but that's about all we can expect of him at this point in his career.

In terms of keep/delist, I don't think it's close. You'd love to clear Hannebery's contract from our cap. Ross, at worst, leaves as a free agent after 2021.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 7:57pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 7:31pm Interesting question and good hypothetical at this time of year.

Do you have any proof Hanners has clearly cost us other potential recruits? Which potential recruits and maybe give us a speculative guess at what his payment schedule over his first 4 years was? You seem pretty certain about this!
Bad wording on my behalf, No I don’t have any proof, my opinion but it is based on fair logic.

Do you think we could have got Treloar if Hannas was not contracted? My guess is we would have had a much better chance at Treloar.

We paid overs in the trade and overs in salary (even if he’s on $500k) for what was a Sydney salary dump of a broken down player well past his best.

He was an elite player between 2011 - 2016, but he’s well past it now and has been a bust of a trade.
Last edited by Joffa Burns on Fri 11 Dec 2020 9:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.