Matthew McLeod-Allison

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Matthew McLeod-Allison

Welcome!
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/matthew-allison/

Height
194cm
Weight
81kg
Current Team
Calder Cannons
Birthday
January 29, 2002

POSITION: Tall Forward/Wing

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Allison is a tall utility with terrific endurance, able to present as a key forward or ply his trade as a uniquely versatile wingman.” – Michael Alvaro

Calder Cannons prospect Matthew Allison is one in a number of Victorians to have shot onto the AFL Draft radar in 2020 despite not being able to contribute any top-age football. The 194cm utility managed 10 NAB League games among an improving Cannons list last year, while also earning selection in the Vic Metro Under 17 Futures side. He did not quite make the cut for the most recent AFL Academy intake, but was able to showcase his best traits during a couple of promising preseason trial games, where he averaged seven marks between the outings to further capture the attention of recruiters. While he predominantly proved his wares as a deep-lying key forward on those occasions, Allison was also seen on the wing as a bottom-ager and looked poised to rotate between the two posts this season. Such is his versatility, the Cannons were also prepared to play Allison across half-back, with plenty of potential to harness and an exciting base to develop.

STRENGTHS:

Endurance
Overhead marking
Versatility
Upside
IMPROVEMENTS:

Strength/power
Production
There is a lot of upside to what Allison brings to the table as a raw prospect who is still very much developing. One trait which remains consistent for the 18-year-old is his running capacity, which combines well with his toe off the mark to form an exciting speed-endurance mix. It is perhaps the key to what makes Allison so versatile, as he is capable of presenting as a key forward with his height and ability to gain separation, but can also grow into other roles such as the wing or high half-forward given his work-rate. The Calder prospect’s marking prowess is another attribute which is evident on the eye test, as he can often clunk the ball at its highest point once he has burned or worked over and opponent.

Allison is said to have done plenty of work with former Calder talent manager Tom Lonergan, who has helped him improve his bodywork and power. At 194cm and 81kg, he is still quite lean so a couple of preseasons in the gym should do wonders for his contested marking acumen and explosiveness. The positive with that factor is Allison could develop in those other roles outside of the key forward slot to ensure his ability to jostle with bigger key defenders is at the right level before being thrown in the deep end. His athletic base, particularly endurance-wise is already at a high standard and will aid his potential transition to the elite level even further.

He remains an especially raw type though, and 2020 was set to be the year for Allison to truly show what he is capable of. His averages in 2019; 8.2 disposals, 1.5 marks, and 2.9 tackles, convey quite a low rate of output and Allison only booted two goals for the year – albeit with less permanent time forward. He was set to gain much greater responsibility as one of Calder’s main focal points as a top-ager, which theoretically would have seen his production and consistency improve drastically. That was somewhat proven in his preseason performances, which yielded far better numbers and provided a glimpse into Allison’s eye-catching, high-marking potential.

DRAFT PROJECTION: Late – Rookie

Allison is one of the quintessential high-upside talents available in this year’s draft and is one who could well thrive in an elite environment. His most obvious improvement areas are ones which can be easily developed over a few preseasons and alongside high-level established talent, so perhaps clubs with the capacity to take on those prospective kind of players will look at Allison closely. Having earned a National Combine invite despite overlooked for the 2020 AFL Academy, there is clear interest in the Victorian prospect and his overall potential. The trimmed-down list sizes may see less clubs take on developmental players, but Allison is in the mix in terms of players who fall into said category. His athletic base and versatility will surely appeal to clubs, but they may wish to see him perform consistently in the extended Under 19 competition before acting.

HIGHLIGHTED TESTING RESULTS:

Vic Metro Draft Combine:
Running Vertical Jump (R/L) – 62cm/59cm
Speed (20m) – 2.97 seconds
Endurance (2km) – 6:17

thecrevis
Club Player

Re: Matthew McLeod-Allison

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/loc ... ab91d50155

Matthew Allison pleased with draft preparation after eye-catching performances

December 4, 2020 - 9:00AM - Moonee Valley Leader

Calder Cannons tall forward Matt Allison has bolted up draft boards ahead of Wednesday’s big night.

At 195cm, Allison combines height and marking power with elite athleticism, and has clubs scrambling ahead of draft night.

The Strathmore junior produced an outstanding 6.17 2km time trial at last month’s Vic Metro Combine, good enough for seventh nationally, and broke three seconds in the 20m sprint for the first time.

He followed it up with a strong showing at this week’s pre-draft training session and has been projected to be taken as high as the second round by some draft watchers.

Allison, however, is keeping a lid on his nerves.

“I’ve excited, nervous, all of the above to be honest, it’s snuck up really quickly,” he said.

“I don’t want to put a lot of expectations and hopes on myself in case it doesn’t work out and with the uncertainty of this year you can’t get complacent or can’t expect too much.

“I set myself some target times (at the combine) and I exceeded my expectations, particularly in the 20m sprint I was stoked with that result.

“I’ve never broken three seconds before and obviously with running being a big part of my game I was eager to dominate the 2km time trial and was pleased with how I finished there.”

Allison is the son of Coburg Team of the Century forward, Brian, who played 174 games and won two premierships with the Lions.

The developing tall impressed in Calder’s pre-season matches but with the 2020 NAB League season cancelled will have to hope his 10 games and performances for St Bernard’s College last season are enough to get him noticed.

His athleticism allows him to get up the ground and provide a link between defence and attack.

There were plans to spend time in defence in 2020 to showcase his intercept marking skills and even on the wing with his running power.

“I feel most comfortable as a high half-forward, I think my running is one of my biggest assets,” Allison said.

“Working up the ground helps utilise my strengths as well, my kicking and marking are a couple of assets that I like to use.

“(Calder) have been great throughout this year, (coach) Ross Smith and particularly (talent manager) Tom Lonergan, he’s been immense for my development.”

A North Melbourne supporter growing up, Allison has modelled his game on Drew Petrie as well as St Kilda superstar Nick Riewoldt.

“I’ve always loved the way someone like Drew Petrie went about it.

“He’s got an elite work rate, played a similar role at half-forward, has great hands, is a great kick and is someone I’ve watched really closely.

“Nick Riewoldt is another one, particularly for his work rate.”

Allison finished his Year 12 studies last year in preparation for his draft season.

While that hasn’t gone to plan he has used the time to work on his business sports management degree.

“It’s been challenge for everyone but I’m very fortunate that my family and friends are all doing really well,” Allison said.

“I’ve tried to keep a positive attitude and I’ve been pleased with how I’ve handled it, keeping busy and active, which has helped me for sure.”

ace
Saintsational Legend

At 194cm, Allison combines height and marking power with elite athleticism.

DRAFT PROJECTION: Late – Rookie
Last edited by ace on Wed 09 Dec 2020 10:00pm, edited 2 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I see we have reverted to taking players with our first pick that other clubs rate as Rookies

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I see we have reverted to taking players with our first pick that other clubs rate as Rookies

Nee!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Don’t know much about this kid, but for once I’d like us to choose a player that has ‘elite ball skills’ in their bio instead of ‘athlete’

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Is Trout back in charge?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Don't know if he can play but if those quotes in the above article are his own words he seems intelligent enough.
Let's keep everything crossed!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Taken ahead of
j Carroll
C Downie
B Walker
C Poulter
S Berry
N O'Driscoll
I Gulden
Z Maher

Me suspects Saints have gone for needs rather than best available.
Last edited by ace on Thu 10 Dec 2020 6:47am, edited 1 time in total.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I think that they 3 we were interested in were all gone come our very delayed pick.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Fox had him at 36

PICK 36: NORTH MELBOURNE - MATT ALLISON

Clubs: Calder Cannons/Vic Metro

Position: Key Forward

Size: 194cm/81kg

Bio: Allison is one of the top talls who has a stack of scope for improvement. He can get up and down the ground using his strong endurance base, which is also matched by a good acceleration when on a lead. He has been used as a midfielder on the outside at times and still has untapped potential there if a club think they can develop him further. He is very raw and his numbers in the NAB League suggest that, but there are plenty of clubs tracking the Victorian.

In the mix: After overlooking a tall at Pick 3, the Roos will likely look for a tall target at either end of the ground with this second-round pick

ace
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 9:38pm Don’t know much about this kid, but for once I’d like us to choose a player that has ‘elite ball skills’ in their bio instead of ‘athlete’
I like athletic players who move a bit faster than Hugh Goddard !

DJ Higgins
Club Player

ESPN had him at pick 36 as well

36. Melbourne - Matt Allison
Height, Weight: 192cm, 80kg
Profile: Allison is a strong-marking tall forward who reads the ball well in flight and possesses excellent endurance. Matt is the son of Coburg VFA Team of the Century player, Brian Allison.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Sounds a bit like Tim Membrey.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Another battle?

silverhalo
Club Player

Knightmare had him ranked at 31 so we're thereabouts - we definitely recruited for needs as we were told we'd be looking for a tall forward. The recruiting guys have plenty of credits in the bank so I'm prepared to back them in here.

Sounds like he's a bit raw but with plenty of potential, I'm happy with this pick - welcome to the Saints Matt!

31. GWS - Matt Allison

Height, Weight: 194cm, 81kg

Profile: Allison is a strong marking tall forward who reads the ball well in flight and possesses excellent endurance. Matt is the son of Coburg VFA Team of the Century player, Brian Allison.

suss
Club Player

Reminds me a bit of Jack Mayo ... hopefully he’s better.

Maybe a mid would’ve been a better option but what the hell would I know.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 9:53pm Knightmare had him ranked at 31 so we're thereabouts - we definitely recruited for needs as we were told we'd be looking for a tall forward. The recruiting guys have plenty of credits in the bank so I'm prepared to back them in here.

Sounds like he's a bit raw but with plenty of potential, I'm happy with this pick - welcome to the Saints Matt!

31. GWS - Matt Allison

Height, Weight: 194cm, 81kg

Profile: Allison is a strong marking tall forward who reads the ball well in flight and possesses excellent endurance. Matt is the son of Coburg VFA Team of the Century player, Brian Allison.
Agree. Sounds like we drafted the best available tall forward and we paid overs by about 5 picks. Not the worst thing ever

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

TBH I don't know anything about this kid but he a saint now & I welcome him with opens arms & hope he can develop into a player that serves us well. Probably not the type of player I was hoping for but at pick 26 you take what you can . Welcome to St.Kilda Football Club Mat I hope your journey is a good one :)

ace
Saintsational Legend

Our next pick around midnight is they don't reduce the time given to FoxSports Ch 504 before picks are revealed.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 9:37pm I see we have reverted to taking players with our first pick that other clubs rate as Rookies

Which clubs rated him as a Rookie?? I’ve heard he will be a Cripps type mid when he develops.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
ace
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 9:51pm Another battle?
Battle on one wing, Allison on the other

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Endurance attributes. Sounds like we are planning for a future with fewer interchange rotations

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
silverhalo
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 10:01pm
fugazi wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 9:37pm I see we have reverted to taking players with our first pick that other clubs rate as Rookies

Which clubs rated him as a Rookie?? I’ve heard he will be a Cripps type mid when he develops.
He also tested VERY well apparently.....

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 10:07pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 10:01pm

He also tested VERY well apparently.....

Extremely well. Has grown 10cm in the last two years as well.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL